Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Part Ways With Singer Anette Olzon

Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company. The band is in the middle of a North American tour with Kamelot and faces yet another line-up change.

Full statement from the band and Anette Olzon: "Another chapter of the Nightwish story has ended today. Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company, in mutual understanding, for the good of all parties involved.

In recent times it has become increasingly obvious that the direction and the needs of the band were in conflict, and this has led to a division from which we cannot recover.

Nightwish has no intention of cancelling any upcoming shows, and as a result we have decided to bring in a substitute vocalist starting in Seattle 1.10.2012. Her name is Floor Jansen from The Netherlands (ex- After Forever, ReVamp), and she has graciously stepped in to help us complete the Imaginaerum world tour.

We are all strongly committed to this journey, this vehicle of spirit, and we are sure that this will lead to a brighter future for everyone. We forever remain excited about the adventures to come, and we are extremely proud of the two beautiful albums and the wonderful shows we shared together."

Elize Ryd ( Amaranthe) and Alissa White-Gluz ( The Agonist) stepped in for Anette this past Friday night (September 28th) at the Ogden Theatre, Denver, because Olzon was forced to spend the night at a local hospital. The singer later stated on her blog: "I was never asked if it was ok they used Elise and Alica in the show last night. I don't think it's a good decision they made and I'm sorry for those of you who came to see the whole band but got something else. But I was very ill and this decision wasn't mine."

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 01.10.2012 by Tristam

Comments page 4 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 131   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 864 users
02.10.2012 - 18:17
The Black Halo

I defiantly agree with the comments on recruiting Floor. Maybe the best idea I've ever heard. I understand the loyalists will chant Tarja until they die, but if you had to settle for an alternative that is a great one, maybe even better than Tarja herself. And the fact that Floor really isnt involved in anything at this moment makes her a perfect candidate, as opposed to Tarja. Her energy and strong vocals would fit perfectly with Nightwish's old style of music (pre-anette.) They could sound like Nightwish again without being the old Nightwish, which is just what they would need for all their fans turned haters, still wanting to be fans again.

As great as Tarja would be, we already know what Nightwish and Tarja will produce. So the mystery of what Nightwish could become with such a powerful singer that ISNT Tarja, almost makes the idea more appealing.
----
~But I'll await my darkest hour
When the guilt doesn't get to me~
----------------------------------------
m/ m/ m/ m/ m/ m/ m/ m/
----------------------------------------
02.10.2012 - 22:44
Blasphemer1992

Hmm floor jansen as a vocalist of Nightiwsh it would be a good choice i think, she has got a very good opertic voice .
02.10.2012 - 23:05
Mad Arab666

They should get the vocalist from Pythia.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
02.10.2012 - 23:42
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I can't say that I'm too upset about this, but it did come as a surprise. More than anything else it makes me wonder about the future of Nightwish. Does the band (Tuomas) really want to go through the process of finding a new singer? Anyway, they probably won't announce a permanent replacement before the end of the tour since that would take attention away from the movie they have coming out. I find it extremely unlikely that Tarja would come back; there's enough bad blood between her and the guys.

Having Floor Jansen sing in Nightwish sounds almost too good to be true, at least on paper, but she has her own band/project about to go into the studio to record their next album. If I were a cynical person I would suggest that may be part of why she decided to step in; to get her name out there and pick up some fans who might then go out and get her upcoming release. I'd love to have her (in Nightwish) on a permanent basis though.

Whoever the next singer will be, I can't say that I look forward to having the fanbase split into 3 factions fighting over who is the best singer. It was exhausting enough with 2.
03.10.2012 - 00:06
Akula

Time to change to male vocals (?)
03.10.2012 - 01:12
Nemo Atkins

Written by Azarath on 02.10.2012 at 23:42

Whoever the next singer will be, I can't say that I look forward to having the fanbase split into 3 factions fighting over who is the best singer. It was exhausting enough with 2.

Yeah, I remember writing (but not posting) several rants about how it was SIX YEARS since Tarja had left the band and people were still demanding her return. It's gotten to the level that I'm now convinced that they could hire anyone except Tarja and people will still demand her return just BECAUSE it's not Tarja!
03.10.2012 - 02:37
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by M C Vice on 02.10.2012 at 09:40

Written by Dark Cornatus on 02.10.2012 at 06:42

Written by M C Vice on 02.10.2012 at 06:15

And another replacement singer goes after 2 albums. Either Jansen will stay on or Turunen will return.
Couple of weeks earlier and Olzen coulda joined Draconian.

I don't think you can really complain about Nightwish and lineup changes, there hasn't been a lot considering their 15 year stint.

I mean that a lot (not all) of replacement singers only last 2 albums. eg. Blaze Bayley (Maiden) Dio (Sabbath- 2 albums originally), Kaiaphas (Ancient), Ripper Owens - (Priest and Iced Earth). Exclude Kaiaphas and they all had to replace a big-name singers. Could probably find more if I did some research.

Ah i see what you mean.
03.10.2012 - 05:49
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Just checked some videos on YT and Floor is totally owning the Tarja songs. She seems kinda shy on the Anette songs, but she had only a few days to learn everything, that may be it.
I still can't believe I'll have the chance to see this.
03.10.2012 - 06:37
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Floor is one of my favorite vocalists =O
----
03.10.2012 - 11:39
GT
Coffee!!
Interesting with Floor doing the vocals. Would love to experience that.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
03.10.2012 - 14:44
882THKing

My GOD! Unbelievable. Yet another search for a different singer (what will they choose this time?). But I'm very happy to see Floor stepping in. She's such an amazing singer who could easily sing the whole Nightwish discography with her heavy metal/operatic voice. Tarja and Anette combined if you will. Well, this makes me very anxious for the next album..
----
Long hast thou dwelt in Darkness - Quit the Night and seek the Day.
03.10.2012 - 15:30
Cassian

I'm totally pissed with the fact that Anette is no longer singing for Nightwish, as she is a good singer and I love the way she deals with new Nightwish songs. But Floor Jansen would be a great substitute if she deciced to stay with Nightwish for the rest of their active years to come.
03.10.2012 - 17:19
mariano

Most people are celebrating this... I guess Anette was never meant for Nightwish after all.
03.10.2012 - 17:40
Ernis
狼獾

I mean that a lot (not all) of replacement singers only last 2 albums. eg. Blaze Bayley (Maiden) Dio (Sabbath- 2 albums originally), Kaiaphas (Ancient), Ripper Owens - (Priest and Iced Earth). Exclude Kaiaphas and they all had to replace a big-name singers. Could probably find more if I did some research.

They might not even last an album...

Kerstin Bischof replaced Christina Hendrikcs in Xandria and lasted only one year... (she wasn't bad, tho, as far as I can tell judging these few live recordings I've heard). Nobody knows how long the new girl is going be in the band.

Nell Sigland only managed to record two albums with Theatre of Tragedy before they called it a day. Same thing applies to Elis...

Melissa Ferlaak was in Visions of Atlantis for one album and the only legacy her subsequent replacement Joanna has left is a couple of promotion photos...

It's better not to mention Sirenia... Henriette Bordvik was there for an album and an EP. Taking all of this into consideration, Anette Olzon with her five years in the band, the two solid albums and massive tours, did leave a considerable mark behind her. She could be the female counterpart of Blaze Bayley now as one of the most talked-about replacement singers.

Returning to Floor, I think it's true that she has the potential to please both Tarja's and Anette's fans because her voice is indeed more versatile than that of the two previous singers. Thus she can embody both singing styles.
03.10.2012 - 20:14
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Nemo Atkins on 03.10.2012 at 01:12

Yeah, I remember writing (but not posting) several rants about how it was SIX YEARS since Tarja had left the band and people were still demanding her return. It's gotten to the level that I'm now convinced that they could hire anyone except Tarja and people will still demand her return just BECAUSE it's not Tarja!

Naturally - to many people Tarja was the voice of Nightwish when they discovered the band, so they won't accept anyone else. We can probably look forward to the same thing now from people who can't accept any other singer than Anette fronting the band. Wonderful times ahead.

Provided the band lasts that long.
04.10.2012 - 00:49
HumanSpirit

I really dont care about Anette at all... But Floor Jansen taking on those vocals is really gonna be awesome, see you Saturday oh Floor my love.
04.10.2012 - 03:52
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I really hope they'll choose an operatic singer for the next album... Anette actually managed to sound ok on Imaginaerum, but that album has little to do with other Nightwish albums.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
04.10.2012 - 09:51
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Ernis on 03.10.2012 at 17:40

She could be the female counterpart of Blaze Bayley now as one of the most talked-about replacement singers.

Future duet albam, a la Kiske/Sommerville?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
04.10.2012 - 10:01
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Ernis on 02.10.2012 at 15:24

Written by M C Vice on 02.10.2012 at 13:54

A power metal female vocalist in the vein of Doro would be something I'd expect.

Like Kimberly Goss? (foolishly optomistic)
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
04.10.2012 - 12:45
Ernis
狼獾
Written by M C Vice on 04.10.2012 at 10:01

Like Kimberly Goss? (foolishly optomistic)

Oh yeah... that combination would produce some real symphonic power... However, at the moment I think that Floor is the best possible solution and I think she should stay. I'm very sorry bout Anette but as it turns out that the doctors discovered a cyst in her liver that needs fast treatment, it's evident that her singing career needs to be put on hold for some time. She can't afford the pressure at the time and this is the most logical reason why she had to leave mid-tour so unexpectedly. I don't think you want to be on stage when you're suffering from nausea and pain all the time.
04.10.2012 - 18:51
Ethan1994

I'm really going to miss Anette.

Having watched Floor Jansen perform with Nightwish on YouTube, I agree it would be really cool if Floor was to stay with Nightwish permanently. She's like a mix of Tarja and Anette. She can pull off songs from both eras really well.
06.10.2012 - 23:43
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
I believe Floor will stay. I don't know if it's faith or hope on my part; but I have a good feeling about this union. Bring on the future!
06.10.2012 - 23:56
stardrunklolocop

I really, truly tried to love Anette as the Nightwish vocalist. I didn't want to be a Tarjaholic; stuck in the past and bitter. I enjoyed Anette's vocals on tracks like 'The Crow, the Owl and the Dove' and 'Amaranth'. But, to me, she never felt like a complete fit - there was always something about her voice (an innocence maybe?) that made her feel like an intruder into the metal scene. People often describe her as 'childlike/youthful' in terms of vocals and stage presence and I'd be inclined to agree.

When I heard that she was leaving Nightwish my gut reaction was "yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay". When I heard that Floor was stepping in for the remaining tour dates I danced around my living room (very unlike me, introvert that I am). Afterwards I felt quite guilty and sad for Anette.
07.10.2012 - 00:05
HellriderRising

I was shocked when I learnt the news. Personally, I felt glad to hear it. Anette, could not sing old Nightwish's songs. Tuomas should find a singer who can sing the old songs and start writing symphnic power metal again!
07.10.2012 - 00:20
SatyriconChick

I was shocked when I found out a few days ago that Anette was out of Nightwish, but I was absolutely floored (no pun intended, lol) when I read that Floor was filling in as their vocalist! I honestly hope this turns into something permanent. I loved the Tarja era Nightwish, liked Dark Passion Play but just couldn't get into Imaginareum (sp?). If Floor sticks around, it'll be something special with this band again.
07.10.2012 - 07:08
SoleS

Written by stardrunklolocop on 06.10.2012 at 23:56

When I heard that she was leaving Nightwish my gut reaction was "yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay". When I heard that Floor was stepping in for the remaining tour dates I danced around my living room (very unlike me, introvert that I am). Afterwards I felt quite guilty and sad for Anette.

This! I had the exact same feelings (except for the dance, I really couldn't do such a thing while at work )
I loved Anette, She was really good in DDP and fantastic in Imaginaerum, but She couldn't really do justice to the songs written for Tarja on live shows. Floor, on the other hand, seems to be able to do justice to the songs written for both Tarja and Anette. She is sounding really good already, with almost no preparation at all. Give her a few more shows and She will we absolutely amaysing.
I really hope they ask her to become the new permanent vocalist, a Nightwish album with her on vocals, with her range and Tuomas's compositions, would be absolutely fantastic I think.
07.10.2012 - 22:57
Karwyn

If Floor turns out to be just a tour vocalist then Leeni Maria Hovila from Kivimetsan Druidi would be an excellent choice.
07.10.2012 - 23:28
Oscarine Wilde
Account deleted
Well, I must say that I'm kinda glad that it is over with Anette. But, honestly, when I heard parts of concert with Floor, I really felt sorry for the people who were at that concert. The whole band, including Floor, was in deep mess. I really, really hope that they will find good singer, someone who has at least similar vocal abilities that Tarja had.
08.10.2012 - 09:17
Karwyn

It's also nice to have a singer who's comfortable in the metal scene because I don't think Tarja is and I know Anette isn't.
11.10.2012 - 17:07
Evil Chip

Written by Guest on 07.10.2012 at 23:28

Well, I must say that I'm kinda glad that it is over with Anette. But, honestly, when I heard parts of concert with Floor, I really felt sorry for the people who were at that concert. The whole band, including Floor, was in deep mess. I really, really hope that they will find good singer, someone who has at least similar vocal abilities that Tarja had.

Strange... because from the videos that I've seen the people were really happy with Floor. If you read the comments everyone hopes her to stay.

Hits total: 19201 | This month: 20