Metal Storm logo
Shining

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 19.05.2006 - 07:00
Suicidal Black Metal baby...

one of the most obscure bands on earth... passionate, dense, suffocationg, fullfilled by despair... their debut album is my favourite followed by The Eerie Cold...

what do you expect for their next? the chapter V is released this year...
27.10.2009 - 21:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Hamird on 27.10.2009 at 20:50

Written by mm_jj on 27.10.2009 at 14:13

Hello!
i have one question about Niklas "Kvarforth" Olsson!i dont know where i must ask this question!but i think you can answer this question!
so first of all i must say i love Niklass but i see this Pic in the internet!
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/30780175/Shining+Infernal+Damnation+Fest+London.jpg
this pic so strange for me!
now can you tell me niklas is a realy gay?(i must say i hate homosexuality):wall:
if not why he did this????

-----
sorry for my english

I don't think that he's a homosexual.. By the way I've seen in another picture Kvarforth was kissing Maniac (in their Skitliv live performance).. I've no idea about him whether he's gay or not, but in my opinion it's just a show; not always true..

I don't think he's gay. He's got a kid and wife/girlfriend.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.10.2009 - 21:26
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/30780175/Shining+Infernal+Damnation+Fest+London.jpg

Hahahahaha...Nice photo. Had never seen it before, Shamefull for a Shining fan, i know.
Now i like them more.

Because it pisses many people off!
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
28.10.2009 - 18:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I love how Kvarforth piss off homofobic people like the dude that posted the picture
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.11.2009 - 23:08
Hamird
Lieutenant
"Nowdays Kvarforth is such a softy! he's marring his girlfriend in a church and converting to catholicism!

You can see him say all this in an interview from 'Contrabandcandy'! and you'll see just by looking into his eyes that he's a completely different guy... sucks really."

^ Someone has replied one of my comments on Youtube..
Anyone can confirm or deny it?
03.11.2009 - 01:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
I knew he was getting married, because he told me. Don't know if it was in a church, but seriously, who cares? I haven't seen the interview, but he seems like the person who goes against expectations anyway.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.11.2009 - 02:09
RockeRoy
He's gay.. i knew it:)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
11.11.2009 - 11:15
TheBigRossowski
Written by Lucas on 03.11.2009 at 01:47

I knew he was getting married, because he told me. Don't know if it was in a church, but seriously, who cares? I haven't seen the interview, but he seems like the person who goes against expectations anyway.

What else do you realllllly expect for most ''fans''? This whole thing makes me sick, I didn't watch my buddies die face down in the MUCK, so that these guys could criticize the lives of musicians while they're fingering their own assholes anyways.

Nice avatar by the way... damn. Already looking forward to new material from them!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
11.11.2009 - 15:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
Like I care if he's getting married? (Hopefully) has nothing to do with his wonderful music.
----
12.11.2009 - 14:34
Ginnung
Niklas and his lady lived at my place the autumn 2008 so he showed me their new music. What I can say is that the latest one and the one after, which isn't released yet I think, take a further step into more traditional heavy metal, still combined with the dark Shining-aura. Rather good music if you ask me.
30.01.2010 - 04:47
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I've listened through Shining's entire discography, and I must say it's pretty spectacular. Personally, I've taken a strong liking to their later discography ("IV" onward). Also, is it strange to say that the guitar solos from their later work have a death metal feel to them?
27.06.2010 - 21:31
Got Mayhem?
^ I've always found their later stuff to be full of cool, bluesy solos.

Say what you will about Kvarforth, but he and his band create some amazing music. I can't even count the number of times I've listened to Halmstad now. Every member of the band puts the perfect amount of melancholy into their performance that creates an experience that is not too simplistic and raw yet not too over produced and plastic at the same time. Their other albums are great experiences as well of course, but Halmstad is certainly something especially special.
----
28.06.2010 - 01:24
Vndergrovnd
Shining is great. Some call them the Opeth of black metal, and the indications of that are in their sound.
30.10.2010 - 19:33
TheBigRossowski
Written by Vndergrovnd on 28.06.2010 at 01:24

Shining is great. Some call them the Opeth of black metal, and the indications of that are in their sound.

I think Enslaved is more of the Opeth of black metal... but that's just like, ugh, my opinion, man.

They played two new songs at the gig in Frankfurt. As far as I can tell one of them was ''Människa O'Avskyvärda Människa''. There were also some clear vocals in the second one, but I can't remember the title name.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
17.11.2010 - 09:18
XooKi3
Shining are awesome they are the lords of black metal!!

Cant wait for the new album.
12.06.2011 - 02:50
The Turbanator
What are they trying to do? Release an album a year? They are killing themselves! The latest one isn't even that good!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.06.2011 - 03:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by The Turbanator on 12.06.2011 at 02:50

The latest one isn't even that good!

That's debatable.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.06.2011 - 07:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.06.2011 at 03:47

Written by The Turbanator on 12.06.2011 at 02:50

The latest one isn't even that good!

That's debatable.

It's true, the debate goes:

Troy: The new one isn't bad.

The World: It's bloody awful Troy.

Troy: Pft, that's your opinion.

You know it biznatch.
12.06.2011 - 08:05
The Turbanator
Hahaha.. to be honest I love their earlier work. Nicklas is an amazing vocalist, one of the best in the genre. But the recent stuff have been so-so for me. Maybe because I hyped it up too much.

Halmstad and The Eerie Cold are their best, imo.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.06.2011 - 08:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Give me III - Angst, akajhfekajhgflaegflgfkas any day. Nobody ever seems to remember what an incredible, rich, atmospheric and DIRECT album that was. Not the proggy, confused and watered down dross that they/he put(s) out these days. Sorry but Halmstad for me is one of the most overrated pieces of music in modern metal history, solos don't belong on a depressive black metal album, pretty unpopular notion I know (in fact I don't know anyone who feels that way). Hey at least it has a rendition of Moonlight Sonata which I'll always approve of. For me Shining ended with IV, which was still a very good album (Eradication of the Condition is sweet).

This is Shining at their best, I mean I often forget that Kvarforth almost equals Attila in his fucked-up-ness (vocally he sounds a heck of a lot like Attila on DMDS which practically no one else can claim):

Spot the John Carpenter worship:

12.06.2011 - 12:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Gotta agree little with Joe here... I mean, I love IV and V but I do believe that III is probably their most overlooked album by the fans.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.06.2011 - 14:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
IV and V are easily Shining's more accessible "suicidal" albums, which is why most of Shining's "fans" think of them as the best overall.

III is the strongest overall. And I think at least some people in the world agree with me on that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.06.2011 - 15:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Hah that's strange, nobody ever even mentions III so it's surprising to hear you two say that ;] I was quite wasted when I made that post and I think I must have listened to III for about 2 hours straight in a trance like state.
12.06.2011 - 16:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I've actually never listened to I and II. I shall do that now methinks.
27.12.2011 - 21:51
JD
Account deleted
I just started with V-Halmstad, not bad, it's just the progressive thingy turned me off, any other albums worth checking out?
27.12.2011 - 21:53
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 27.12.2011 at 21:51

I just started with V-Halmstad, not bad, it's just the progressive thingy turned me off, any other albums worth checking out?

Everything before VI, really, but III blows the rest out of the water (other than V, that is).

My recommendation: III => IV => II => I

As for VI and VII, eh... whatever, they're not that bad, but not really worth the bother either.
27.12.2011 - 22:01
JD
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 27.12.2011 at 21:53

III

Ok, thanks.
28.12.2011 - 00:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I concur. III is the absolute nuts.
28.12.2011 - 04:12
JD
Account deleted
III is pretty damn good album, I'd give it a 7.

While checking their whole disco, I found this awesome song:

Probably II is the best album I heard by Shining so far.
28.12.2011 - 04:42
The Turbanator
The also have an unreleased video clip. Here :

Warning : it's pretty graphic for the weak hearted, in my opinion.
----
28.12.2011 - 09:51
Savopipo
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.10.2009 at 21:20

Written by Hamird on 27.10.2009 at 20:50

Hello!
i have one question about Niklas "Kvarforth" Olsson!i dont know where i must ask this question!but i think you can answer this question!
so first of all i must say i love Niklass but i see this Pic in the internet!
this pic so strange for me!
now can you tell me niklas is a realy gay?(i must say i hate homosexuality):wall:

-----
sorry for my english

I don't think that he's a homosexual.. By the way I've seen in another picture Kvarforth was kissing Maniac (in their Skitliv live performance).. I've no idea about him whether he's gay or not, but in my opinion it's just a show; not always true..

I don't think he's gay. He's got a kid and wife/girlfriend.

I don't think he's gay either. He's probably just a nut.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com