05. Heavy Metal Desire
06. March For Victory
07. Like A Raptor
08. Guardians Of The Dragon Grail
09. Freedom Heart
10. Fight Forever
11. Nowhere Man
12. Metal Law 2006

German power metal band Majesty have been around for several years, but they aren't usually paid much attention, or so it seems. In fact, I myself barely knew anything about them when I found their fourth and latest studio album on the shelf of my local Media Markt, but a little pre-listening quickly convinced me to buy it.

A word of warning beforehand: this is cheese we're talking about. Lots of cheese. So if you can't stand that kind of music, you might as well stop reading now.

Lyrically, most songs on "Hellforces" are very True Metal. It begins with a generous self-glorification ("Forever Hail to Majesty!") in the intro, then continues with rallying the supporters (the "Hellforces") in the title track. Hymns to metal, freedom and glorious battles dominate the album; the only real exception is "Like A Raptor," a rather weird song about stalking a woman at night. The big picture looks very Manowar, only the lyrics' quality doesn't quite compare. One might argue that True Metal lyrics aren't known for high quality in the first place, but Majesty's sound particularly stupid sometimes.

Musically, on the other hand, "Hellforces" is excellent. As must be expected from a power metal album, there's nothing innovative to be found, but the songwriting and performance leave very little room for complaints. All songs are extremely melodic and catchy. The most memorable piece is the title track, a high-speed, very energetic song perfect for headbanging. Being the album's real opener, it certainly attracted my attention when I first listened to it. (I resisted starting to headbang in the store though.) Also noticeable are the hymnic "Sons of a New Millennium" and "Guardians of the Dragon Grail" who both have great sing-along choruses. What's more, none of the songs are really bad, not even "Like A Raptor." That gives the album a very good feeling of consistency.

Rating: 8,5 - if you're a power metal fan, and can forgive stupid lyrics as long as the music is good, this one is for you.

Written by | 23.08.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 31 users
24.11.2006 - 11:26
Dirt pride
Account deleted
great review, if your i n the right kind of mood and feel like wielding a sword a being powerful and cheesy and stuff this albums great!
there great live aswell!
24.11.2006 - 14:52
Baz Anderson

this is a fantastic album!
i love bands like this that defend heavy metal and really do have that heavy metal way of life
this album is probably their best in my opinion, in front of 'Reign In Glory' and 'Swords & Sorcery'
it has many really great tracks on it - well worth looking into for anyone who loves heavy metal
11.12.2006 - 07:38
Susan
Smeghead
I listened to this album for the first time just now, so I'm still forming my opinion. Some songs are REALLY great, but some seem like filler, especially near the end (songs like Nowhere Man, Fight Forever, for instance). Yes, "Like A Raptor" has some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard... usually I love cheesy lyrics but this bands' just aren't doing it for me!

Okay, I'm done with the negative. Dragonheart I agree with everything positive you say about this album. The band had great energy (especially in the beginning) and I'm loving the sing-along-choruses that you mention. Hopefully I'll have a chance to see them live one day and actually sing along!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
15.12.2006 - 06:00
Baz Anderson

Written by Susan on 11.12.2006 at 07:38

I listened to this album for the first time just now, so I'm still forming my opinion. Some songs are REALLY great, but some seem like filler, especially near the end (songs like Nowhere Man, Fight Forever, for instance). Yes, "Like A Raptor" has some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard... usually I love cheesy lyrics but this bands' just aren't doing it for me!

Okay, I'm done with the negative. Dragonheart I agree with everything positive you say about this album. The band had great energy (especially in the beginning) and I'm loving the sing-along-choruses that you mention. Hopefully I'll have a chance to see them live one day and actually sing along!!

haha yessss!
i saw them live in their first ever trip to England and it was fantastic!!!
they are just that sort of band that i love everything they stand for.. heavy metal!!
haha - they are fantastic live, they have so much energy and it was brilliant seeing them delighted as to how many people loved them over here
13.03.2007 - 20:23
Rating: 7
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Everyone keeps dissing "Like a Raptor"...

Thats the only song i've heard on the album so far (heard it on Pandora) and I think the song is fucking awesome. Really want to listen to the rest of the CD!
13.01.2008 - 17:04
Metalbound7

Metal law is fucking great!

Hits total: 5497 | This month: 7