Agalloch - Faustian Echoes review

Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

248 users:
Band: Agalloch
Album: Faustian Echoes
Release date: June 2012

01. Faustian Echoes

Here's a little game I like to play: guess what genre the next Agalloch EP will be? From the blasting lo-fi of From Which This Oak to the strange semi-electronic remixes on The Grey to the acoustic laden, Wicker Man-themed The White, Agalloch has managed a wide spectrum on their music palette, which makes this guessing game downright impossible. One thing's for sure, the EPs are never similar in genre to the preceding album, right?

Oh, how wrong I am. Again Agalloch do something I don't expect and actually carry on a sound from full length to EP. For all of you who loved Marrow Of The Spirit (there are a lot of you and I for one can't understand the obsession) go listen to this right now. You will like it, guaranteed. Hell, listen to Faustian Echoes three times in a row, as an album that would be better than Marrow Of The Spirit.

For those of you still scarred by the mediocrity of their last album, fear not! While the big tagline of Faustian Echoes is that it's the longest song ever written by Agalloch, there's more to it than that. Yes, it's long. Unnecessarily so really, considering they claim it's actually two parts in one (why they didn't simply make separate songs is beyond me). Fortunately Agalloch managed something on Faustian Echoes that Marrow Of The Spirit didn't really have. I'm not sure exactly whether it's feeling, atmosphere, or something else entirely, but the EP is fairly entrancing. The extreme elements from Marrow are still here, yet in moderation. The void is filled by passages reminiscent of The Mantle era atmosphere. The production is worse, in a good way. Marrow felt too clean, and that had never been Agalloch's style. They remedy that a bit here.

However, the whole EP is only a partial remedy to Marrow Of The Spirit. I don't want to sound as if I hate the album, I don't. It isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. It isn't particularly good either. Faustian Echoes is better but many of the problems from Marrow Of The Spirit persist here, and at times it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. If you like Marrow ignore everything I've just said, this part isn't for you. But if you loved their mellower, folkier EPs like The White or their split with Nest then you may be disappointed yet again. Maybe you have to watch Goethe's Faust to truly appreciate Faustian Echoes, like The White and The Wicker Man, but I don't think so.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Marcus | 09.10.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 207 users
09.10.2012 - 06:16
Rating: 6
essbee

I liked Marrow but I didn't really liked the EP.
09.10.2012 - 08:23
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I thought Marrow of the Spirit was great, even though it did drag sometimes. This song may be even better, it's awesome.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.10.2012 - 15:06
malaikat

Im sorry, but I don't dig this review. You can't avoid the subjectivity, of course, but the entire premise of this text lies on the fact that MotS is a mediocre album, and right there this review looses all relevance to a lots of people that actually like that album.

Good way: explain that this EP is a logical progression of the MotS sound, then review it on it's own merits.
Bad way: constantly imply that MotS is a subpar album and that this EP is in fact it's remedy; always putting the songs in the context of a previous release.

With this review you actually reviewed MotS and not FE, saying "Yeah, this is mediocre because full length was mediocre too, and the good parts are good because they're better than MotS". Again, it's ok if the EP carries the sound of the previous album, but this looks like you're reviewing expansion pack for a video game and not music release made by band who usually doesn't "connect" their albums, even if they share a similar sound.
09.10.2012 - 20:36
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by malaikat on 09.10.2012 at 15:06

Im sorry, but I don't dig this review. You can't avoid the subjectivity, of course, but the entire premise of this text lies on the fact that MotS is a mediocre album, and right there this review looses all relevance to a lots of people that actually like that album.

Good way: explain that this EP is a logical progression of the MotS sound, then review it on it's own merits.
Bad way: constantly imply that MotS is a subpar album and that this EP is in fact it's remedy; always putting the songs in the context of a previous release.

With this review you actually reviewed MotS and not FE, saying "Yeah, this is mediocre because full length was mediocre too, and the good parts are good because they're better than MotS". Again, it's ok if the EP carries the sound of the previous album, but this looks like you're reviewing expansion pack for a video game and not music release made by band who usually doesn't "connect" their albums, even if they share a similar sound.

I appreciate your criticism, but I think my review defends against it through the preface of "For all of you who loved Marrow Of The Spirit...You will like it" coupled with the constant references to Marrow of the Spirit assumes a progression (or at least connection) to the two. I do say it's a progression from MotS (or positive regression since they actually borrow stylistically from their back catalog) but because I didn't like MotS it isn't a progression from great to greater, but rather from average to above average.

Therefore, to people who like MotS, and I explicitly state this twice in the review, most of what I say isn't relevant. All that would be relevant is that, while similar, Faustian Echoes has a lesser tempo and more appropriate production. It's more atmospheric and feels less polished. I think the context is important with this EP since the two released are actually somewhat similar, as opposed to almost any other Agalloch EP. That said, if someone were to review The Grey, I would expect ample connections to The Mantle (although of course those similarities are far more pronounced/obvious than with these two).

I guess to sum up, I think the comparisons matter and whether you think MotS is terrible, average, or the best album ever, the text still holds true; Faustian Echoes is mellower, more atmospheric, and with better production. For me, that makes it better. Still, I see exactly where you're coming from but I'll stand by what I wrote
09.10.2012 - 21:46
Oaken
Hipster
Nice review and fair rating. I liked this very much, even though I really liked Marrow. The dark subject was extraordinarily intriguing, especially with those gloomy spoken parts.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
07.11.2012 - 01:46
MJLUYA
Account deleted
Why the hell cant i buy this anywhere on CD?
07.11.2012 - 10:29
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Something wrong is going on with Agalloch. First, the disappointing "Marrow of the Spirit" and now this. No matter how you stretch a song, if it's bad, the length won't hide this fact. Which is the case here...
18.01.2013 - 18:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 07.11.2012 at 01:46

I believe this was only a digital release an vinyl release.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.01.2013 - 17:39
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I liked Marrow much better than this although there were some good parts in the song. Not enough however.
----
rekt
29.03.2013 - 19:23
drf1223

This is a terrible review. Very partial, subjective and hard to comprehend if not over-familiarized with Agalloch's work.
01.05.2014 - 03:04
Rating: 10
hyster

Read the book guys! You will understand! For me the song seems AWESOME!
01.05.2014 - 03:38
no one
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.01.2013 at 18:26

Written by Guest on 07.11.2012 at 01:46

I believe this was only a digital release an vinyl release.

you can buy the cd, its on there website and discogs and probably other websites too
01.05.2014 - 17:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 01.05.2014 at 03:38

you can buy the cd, its on there website and discogs and probably other websites too

Must have been pressed after my comment then.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 4702 | This month: 21