Album: Storm Corrosion
Release date: May 2012

01. Drag Ropes
02. Storm Corrosion
03. Hag
04. Happy
05. Lock Howl
06. Ljudet Innan

The decision which awaits you when you listen to this collaboration between the well acquainted progressive musicians Wilson and Akerfeldt is whether or not it's another exercise in futility. Some will groan at the thought of another throwback album bearing the Opeth frontman's name. Also if you're after the addictive pop sensibilities of Wilson's work with Porcupine Tree you'll be left disappointed. Will this be another musical cul-de-sac, bearing the kind of sound which is lifted from a decades old context? Is it just another rehash, a regressive rather than progressive piece as many would declare of Opeth's latest offering?

Another Heritage this most certainly isn't. The most striking thing about it is a lack of rhythmic presence for a majority of its duration. All percussion is handled by Harrison of Porcupine Tree but serves only as a complimentary element to the acoustic and piano driven veneer. I say veneer as that's just what the overall sound of the album is like, something drawn out, ephemeral and nearly devoid of underlying substance. However it is further evidence of the talent of the musicians and it is possible to identify their influence within the sound. Ultimately though it will likely leave you with the impression that Wilson and Akerfeldt have created more substantial music in collaboration in the past.

Wilson holds a more prominent vocal role throughout, interestingly Akerfeldt takes somewhat of a backseat. Their dual presence on tracks like the slightly folky and psychedelic opener "Drag Ropes" is captivating and their distinctive vocals are embedded in a lush atmosphere. By comparison some tracks are geared towards a more ambient feel, such as the closing track "Ljudet Innan."

To the album's credit, it is something of its own character. It's a unique effort which is different to anything they have produced either together or with their own respective undertakings. This album is prone to leave you wanting something more to chew on and those after something heavy will be left starving.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 12.10.2012 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 395 users
12.10.2012 - 21:18
Lit.
Account deleted
Aww, I wanted a low score so I could watch the fireworks.
12.10.2012 - 21:18
PocketMetal

I agree with the score and the review . I enjoyed it but I expected better from these guys .
respectable effort though .
12.10.2012 - 21:29
John Shock

I don't agree with the "Akerfeldt takes somewhat of a backseat"...
It's stupid why some people don't listen to all details...
Akerfedlt here, doens't just take some seat on the couch...he creates a magnificant ambient acoustic-stylized guitar technique that can be pronounced as "hipnotic rythm"!

Yes, that can be created, if you listen very well to the details and pay attention to the ambient...this is recommended while you're "empty-minded", not for when you're cleaning the house...
12.10.2012 - 22:06
Rating: 7
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by John Shock on 12.10.2012 at 21:29

It's stupid why some people don't listen to all details...

It's also stupid why some people apparently can't read properly. He was talking about the vocals in that paragraph, not about the magical hypnotic guitar rhythms or whatever was that.
And I agree with that, it's sad that we don't get to hear Mr. Mustache too often. And he is the main singer in what I think is the weakest track, the closer one.

I agree with everything I think, a good record but nothing remarkable.
13.10.2012 - 04:07
Evil Chip

YU JUST HAV TO HIR THE DETAILS. Y U NO LISTEN TO DETAILS?! I don't wanna hear all the details if the impression I get is a bad one. More comments like that one to come for sure.
13.10.2012 - 11:17
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi

I don't agree with the "Akerfeldt takes somewhat of a backseat"...

As Unhealer said I was referring to the vocals there

Akerfedlt here, doens't just take some seat on the couch...he creates a magnificant ambient acoustic-stylized guitar technique that can be pronounced as "hipnotic rythm"!

Certainly, I agree. It wouldn't be much of an album at all without the acoustic.
14.10.2012 - 10:22
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Well I guess expectations were "too high." I can recall the huge buzz this album created when it was released. An ambient, acoustic-driven progressive piece emphasizing on hypnotic elements, I don't really think it was absolutely futile for them to try something like this. I had higher expectations but the album is enjoyable to a certain degree. However boring it may seem, it's not a bad thing for me at all since I get that kind of impression when I listen to any album when I'm not in the mood to explore music.

I would choose "Drag Ropes" (not to mention the brilliant music video they released for this song.) and "Ljudet Innan" as the tracks you shouldn't miss out.
14.10.2012 - 11:58
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
It's a bit uneventful, but it has an incredible atmosphere. Drag Ropes is the best song.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
14.10.2012 - 14:18
InnerSelf
proofread free
Great review, your description of the sound is accurate and I totally agree with the rating.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
14.10.2012 - 16:01
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Spot on review!
sometimes you listen to an album and don't even bother to think why you like it and why you don't, then you read the review and realise that's exactly how you felt lol
----
loves 小巫
14.10.2012 - 22:32
Grody2themax

Drag Ropes is an excellent song imo. The rest were solid, yet pretty average imo.

Its one of those albums I'd rather not rate, as they were going for a somewhat unique approach and succeeded. As you said in the review, an interesting thing is the lack of much percussion. I like it, albeit i don't think its going to be one of those albums I'll be listening to for the rest of my life. It was worth the buy though.
15.10.2012 - 19:25
Rating: 9
Tornado Of Souls

I love this album Drag Ropes was actually possibly my least favourite song with Storm Corrosion being my favourite.
25.10.2012 - 01:20
Rating: 9
armageddon

Great review.

I liked the album, but it could've been way better. When you see Wilson and Akerfeldt are collaborating you expect something extraordinary.
----
"Whenever you're pissed off, just remember that it's better than being pissed on"

Hits total: 6665 | This month: 9