Metal Storm logo
AFI, punk or rock?

Poll

Is AFI punk or rock? What is your opinion?

Other..
Something in between
Rock
Punk

Total votes: 40
24.11.2006 - 21:05
Mariela.
Account deleted
This is something I've been wondering about for a while... In my opinion, they were punk once upon a time, but nowdays it's more rock based.. Please, correct me if Im wrong, and please tell me your opinion! (:
24.11.2006 - 22:17
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
they were a punk band, even if it was tedious, inoffensive, forgettable punk. i can't comment on the newest album as i haven't heard it yet, but on the sing the sorrow they were still deeply rooted in hardcore.

i think they've become better and better throughout their career. the furthur they've distanced themselves from their punk roots and the more they've developed their own style, the better they've become.

i really do need to get the new album.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
26.11.2006 - 16:42
Sunioj
They were a punk band, now they are somewhat of an emo mix of pop punk.
29.11.2006 - 05:52
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Wow, nice thread (I meant to vote punk but accidentally voted rock By the way)

AFI Used to be a really hard core punk band, everything they did was real and unique, but when they did the album "Sing the Sorrow," they sold out........Big time. In my heart they are and always will be one of the greatest punk bands to have walked, but what they play now-a-days is like some poppy sellout emo shit for the kids. Maby if they would have stayed with nitro records then that wouldn't have happened, but we can all thank the offspring's Dexter Holland for that one, though it was unintentional. They all used to be like, best friends, and Dexter Thought they were to talented to be with his small time label, so he told them to sign with someone more worthy of their talent. Well, they signed to a mainstream label and Bam! Sound changed completely.......
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
29.11.2006 - 06:19
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I didn't know about the change, as I only know the album "Sing The Sorrow" which I like a lot
Judging only knowing this album, I'd vote for Something in between
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
01.12.2006 - 00:17
Soliloquy
ahh...their new album is not good! like really! not good at all! their second last album, the one with 'but home is no where' forgot the name of the album, but taht was a classic album. their new album is...well...i'll get to that in a bit

AFI i would say were punk. then they changed into rock with some influnces of hardcore. but their main influence was punk. and their umm, Sing The Sorrow was it? that album was more rock. their latest album on the other hand had them change their genre. for some reason, the band became EMO, and it worked for them money wise. i mean, with the new album that just came out recently, they aready have 2 singles out, and tons of people who are new to them are just loving AFI. to them, AFI just came up to the scene. even though that is far from reality. they have been around for a while. but yeah, their new album is crap.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
07.12.2006 - 01:56
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 29.11.2006 at 05:52

AFI Used to be a really hard core punk band, everything they did was real and unique, but when they did the album "Sing the Sorrow," they sold out........Big time. In my heart they are and always will be one of the greatest punk bands to have walked, but what they play now-a-days is like some poppy sellout emo shit for the kids. Maby if they would have stayed with nitro records then that wouldn't have happened, but we can all thank the offspring's Dexter Holland for that one, though it was unintentional. They all used to be like, best friends, and Dexter Thought they were to talented to be with his small time label, so he told them to sign with someone more worthy of their talent. Well, they signed to a mainstream label and Bam! Sound changed completely.......

dexter and the record labels had nothing to do it AFI changing their sound...you knew they wanted to play more rockish shit back during the "black sails" days with "god called in sick today" ..they Just evolved thats all...i honestly liked sing the sorrow quite a bit and i say that with no shame...the new one is crap though because it's obvious they're just trying to clone sing the sorrow...and it ended up being completely generic

and for the record...i really dont think sing the sorrow would've sounded any different if it was on Nitro.. ...seeing how like i said they were progressing...and if you listen to "art of drowning" or even "black sails",it's clear as day what direction they were taking their music
07.12.2006 - 03:58
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 07.12.2006 at 01:56

Written by Arian Totalis on 29.11.2006 at 05:52

dexter and the record labels had nothing to do it AFI changing their sound...you knew they wanted to play more rockish shit back during the "black sails" days with "god called in sick today" ..they Just evolved thats all...i honestly liked sing the sorrow quite a bit and i say that with no shame...the new one is crap though because it's obvious they're just trying to clone sing the sorrow...and it ended up being completely generic

and for the record...i really dont think sing the sorrow would've sounded any different if it was on Nitro.. ...seeing how like i said they were progressing...and if you listen to "art of drowning" or even "black sails",it's clear as day what direction they were taking their music

You know, Now that I think about it, I agree with you. I actually Own Very Proud Of ya, The Art of Drowning, as well as shut your mouth and open your eyes. I'm pretty familiar with Black sails, and "God called in sick Today" is one of my favorite songs. I don't know.....maby I just wanted someone to blame for what happened to them.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
08.12.2006 - 06:02
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I was a huge fan of AFI when I was in junior high, and I distinctly remember an interview with Dave Havok saying that his goal is to become mainstream, even if they have to change their sound.

I haven't listened to AFI in forever...I guess because I overplayed them. I liked most of their albums, until I heard Sing the Sorrow, which was a huge disappointment. I eventually sold that album and I'm not about to listen to their newest.

Both of their EP's are fucking good and their middle era is amazing- Black Sails in the Sunset and The Art of Drowning.
21.12.2006 - 00:44
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Somthing in between. I have heard "The art of drowning" and own "Sing the sorrow. A masterpiece IMO. I haven't heard the new album, but I'm really willing to, although I have teh refference that is not as good as Sing The Sorrow. I really like it, it's way more elaborated and complex, and it has a variety of rythms.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
21.12.2006 - 19:35
fire101
Account deleted
Well, If you listen to the album Very proud of Ya, you can hear the punk rock stuff. Very apparent. Their new stuff isnt nearly as punk though. It saddens me cuz their old music was very good.
22.12.2006 - 03:26
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah, and even moreso with their first album, Answer That And Stay Fashionable. They even have a song called I Wanna Get A Mohawk But My Mom Won't Let Me. lol
03.01.2007 - 14:22
oliviaa
They were like punk once upon a time. Now they're playing some popish rock. The newest CD is ok, but it's not even close to the other albums. I really like the other albums (yes, I mean Sing The Sorrow too), so actually Decemberunderground was a disappointment. Even though the title is brilliant.

I voted "Other.."
----
26.04.2007 - 03:30
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
They were punk in the old days, but now theyre sort of punk/pop or something like that. They seriously sold out big time, now theyre as mainstream as stupid emoed shits like My Chemical Romance and Taking Back Sunday.
26.04.2007 - 17:40
APOHAKC
The Bard
I really like punk/rock bands such as Hellacopters, Dogz, DMT... So I voted for something in between
I liked punk in my childhood, bands like Ramones, Toy Dolls... I also like some exploited albums..
Some Rock is always on my winamp playlist, at least some Deep Purple, Scorpions or The Who...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
27.04.2007 - 05:16
Bitch Boy
I've voted other, maybe a mix of pop-punk with some emo influences but still a sound from the past.

They are ok, even in their "new" sound.
27.04.2007 - 14:59
(s)A!N?
Account deleted
AFI are not punk at all really They more rock I say... but no new age punk stuff is true punk now its all poprock...
look at the sexpistols and the clash now thats true punk .. and sadly there isnt many bands now that keep to the old root its all rock pop thats is called punk ... may be its new age punk i dunno .. but it isnt punk as it should be. but this is my personal veiw on it ...
07.05.2007 - 18:58
itachi_kun
Account deleted
they're not punk, they're not rock, they're f*cking EMO!!! pansy-my-life-sucks-but-idon't-know-why-so-i'm-gonna-act-all-depressed-and-try-to-piss-off-as-many-goths-as-possible
11.05.2007 - 21:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
They were punk at one time, but now there just terrible cookie-cutter emo-pop with a lead singer that wishes he was Glenn Danzig, but fails horribly. He brings a bad name to the Devil locke.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.09.2007 - 21:21
HOLOCAUST
Account deleted
AFI, they're old stuff is awesome. Most definetly punk.
But they're new stuff licks ass.
26.09.2007 - 03:10
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
A little bit of rock, a little bit of punk.

100% shitty.
26.09.2007 - 19:22
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Wow...this is ridiculous...is AFI punk or rock indeed...why don't you just put those two words together and you get: punk rock! haha...I wouldn't say that all their stuff is shitty though...they have some good tunes for sure but they have a lot of crappy tunes...
27.09.2007 - 03:13
The_Agony_Scene
Account deleted
Afi is pop rock.They veered off in a direction that most definetly isnt punk.their early stuff was rad,but their new stuff sucks ass.they started being all whiny and lame,attracting sweaty 13 year olds to the moshes.Its bullshit
07.01.2008 - 09:47
Fuath
i chose other: gay, in my opinion, they none of the above really, not punk, not emo, too me, theyre trying too hard to be like trivium
which is actually kinda funny
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

08.01.2008 - 04:24
deadset61
Account deleted
I'd say at this point the band is a little in between. They used to be punk and now they have kind of slowed things down but also have that punk sound. so id say not fully punk but not fully rock.
11.02.2008 - 01:53
stigma77
Account deleted
Sorry, in my opinion, POP, and bad (the last albums)
11.02.2008 - 02:10
Damnated
Churchburner
can you say e-mo?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.02.2008 - 20:14
Stigma
Account deleted
If we're looking for a spesific genre, I'd say emo-rock. I voted Rock.
27.01.2013 - 08:33
squidrick420
By mainstream definition they are punk. By a punks definition they are nothing even related to the genre, they were on MTV... Once you do that you are destroying any ties to the world of punk rock. And plus they don't sound punk either.