Metal Storm logo
My Top 75 Albums Of All Time

My top 75 favourite albums of all time (initially it was a top 20 list, and after that top 50). Only 1 album per band. The list is in alphabetical order, so it doesn't represent explicitly which album is my absolute favourite (I don't have one). All albums on this list have earned at least a 9/10 rating. Albums with a star (★) have received a 10/10 rating from me. I've added genres and my favourite songs.

Created by: Erik M. | 22.10.2012

1. After Forever - Decipher
2001 / Symphonic Gothic / My Pledge Of Allegiance # 1 (The Sealed Fate)
2. Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
2006 / Atmospheric Blackened Post / Fire Above, Ice Below
3. Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde
2007 / Post Shoegaze / Ciel Errant
4. Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
1994 / Melodic Death Doom / To Fathers Cabin
5. Anathema - The Silent Enigma
1995 / Death Doom / Restless Oblivion
6. Aquilus - Griseus
2011 / Atmospheric Blackened Neoclassical Folk / Loss ★
7. Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
1997 / Avantgarde / The Chaos Path
8. Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle
1998 / Progressive / Isis and Osiris ★
9. Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
2003 / Industrial Black / The Choir Of The Dead
10. Brown Jenkins - Death Obsession
2009 / Avantgarde Blackened Doom / We Disappear
11. Caladan Brood - Echoes Of Battle
2013 / Epic Atmospheric Black / City Of Azure Fire
12. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
1986 / Epic Doom / A Sorcerer's Pledge
13. Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
2002 / Melodic Death / The Enemy
14. Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion
2006 / Melodic Death Doom / A Dream Resigned
15. Desire - Locus Horrendus - The Night Cries Of A Sullen Soul...
2002 / Atmospheric Death Doom / Chapter XIV: Dark Angel Bird (A Poet Of Tragedies) ★
16. Dimmu Borgir - Spiritual Black Dimensions
1999 / Symphonic Black / The Insight And The Catharsis
17. Disembowelment - Transcendence Into The Peripheral
1993 / Death Doom / The Spirits Of The Tall Hills
18. Disillusion - Back To Times Of Splendor
2004 / Progressive / Back To Times Of Splendor
19. Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
1995 / Melodic Blackened Death / Unhallowed
20. Dolorian - When All The Laughter Has Gone
1999 / Psychedelic Blackened Doom / Collapsed
21. Dordeduh - Dar De Duh
2012 / Atmospheric Blackened Folk / Zuh
22. Draconian - Where Lovers Mourn
2003 / Gothic Doom / The Cry Of Silence ★
23. Edge Of Sanity - Crimson
1996 / Progressive Death / Crimson ★
24. Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
1994 / Symphonic Black / Beyond The Great Vast Forest
25. Empyrium - A Wintersunset...
1996 / Symphonic Folk Doom / The Franconian Woods In Winter's Silence ★
26. Epica - The Phantom Agony
2003 / Symphonic / Façade Of Reality (The Embrace That Smothers - Part V)
27. Estatic Fear - A Sombre Dance
1999 / Symphonic Doom / Chapter IV
28. Evereve - Seasons
1996 / Gothic / A Winternight Depression
29. Evoken - Quietus
2001 / Funeral Death Doom / Embrace The Emptiness ★
30. Fen - The Malediction Fields
2009 / Atmospheric Blackened Post / Lashed By Storm
31. Graveworm - As The Angels Reach The Beauty
1999 / Symphonic Black / A Dreaming Beauty
32. Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness
2001 / Progressive / Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness
33. Inquisition - Into The Infernal Regions Of The Ancient Cult
1998 / Black / Empire Of Luciferian Race
34. Ixion - To The Void
2011 / Atmospheric Doom / Fade To Blue
35. Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
1996 / Death Doom / Endtime ★
36. Kauan - Lumikuuro
2007 / Melodic Folk Doom / Koivun Elämä
37. Limbonic Art - Moon In The Scorpio
1996 / Symphonic Black / Moon In The Scorpio
38. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
1993 / Black / Pagan Fears
39. Metallica - Ride The Lightning
1984 / Thrash / Fade To Black
40. Moonspell - Wolfheart
1995 / Blackened Gothic Folk / An Erotic Alchemy
41. Mourning Beloveth - The Sullen Sulcus
2002 / Death Doom / Anger's Steaming Arrows
42. My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans
1993 / Gothic Death Doom / Turn Loose The Swans ★
43. Nest - Woodsmoke
2003 / Atmospheric Ambient Neofolk / Healing Waters
44. Nevermore - Dead Heart, In A Dead World
2000 / Progressive Thrash / We Disintegrate
45. Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
2005 / Brutal Death / Annihilation Of The Wicked
46. Nocturnus AD - The Key
1990 / Atmospheric Death / Empire Of The Sands
47. Noekk - The Grimalkin
2006 / Progressive Doom / Codex Deserta
48. Officium Triste - Reason
2004 / Melodic Death Doom / A Flower In Decay
49. Old Man's Child - In Defiance Of Existence
2003 / Symphonic Black / Black Seeds On Virgin Soil
50. Opeth - Blackwater Park
2001 / Extreme Progressive / The Drapery Falls ★
51. Ophis - Stream Of Misery
2007 / Death Doom / Godforsaken
52. Paradise Lost - Shades Of God
1992 / Gothic Death Doom / Daylight Torn
53. Penumbra - Seclusion
2003 / Symphonic Gothic / Crimson Tail
54. Saturnus - Paradise Belongs To You
1996 / Atmospheric Death Doom / Paradise Belongs To You ★
55. Shape Of Despair - Shades Of...
2000 / Funeral Doom / Down In The Stream
56. Sirenia - At Sixes And Sevens
2002 / Symphonic Gothic / Meridian
57. Slumber - Fallout
2004 / Melodic Death Doom / Rapture
58. Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame
2001 / Epic Atmospheric Black / Farewell ★
59. Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
2003 / Melodic Death Doom / Through Her Silvery Body
60. Testament - The Legacy
1987 / Thrash / Alone In The Dark
61. Theatre Of Tragedy - Velvet Darkness They Fear
1996 / Gothic Doom / Fair And 'Guilding Copesmate Death
62. The Gathering - Mandylion
1995 / Atmospheric Gothic / Sand And Mercury
63. The Sins Of Thy Beloved - Lake Of Sorrow
1998 / Symphonic Gothic / Until The Dark ★
64. Tiamat - Wildhoney
1994 / Atmospheric Gothic / The Ar
65. Tristania - Widow's Weeds
1998 / Symphonic Gothic / Midwintertears ★
66. Uaral - Sounds Of Pain
2005 / Folk Doom / Eternal Beauty Of The Trees ★
67. Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler
1995 / Blackened Folk / Bergtatt - Ind I Fjeldkamrene
68. Unholy - Gracefallen
1999 / Atmospheric Death Doom / Wanderer
69. Verdunkeln - Einblick In Den Qualenfall
2007 / Psychedelic Black / Der Herrscher
70. Vordven - Towards The Frozen Stream
1999 / Melodic Atmospheric Black / Dream Of Northside ★
71. Warning - Watching From A Distance
2006 / Doom / Bridges
72. Windir - Arntor
1999 / Blackened Folk / Saknet (The Longing)
73. Wine From Tears - Through The Eyes Of A Mad
2009 / Melodic Death Doom / Night Of A Succubus
74. Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters
2007 / Black / I Will Lay Down My Bones Among The Rocks And Roots
75. Yearning - Evershade
2003 / Atmospheric Gothic Doom / Deathbearer

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Erik M. ]

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 82   Visited by: 876 users
23.04.2013 - 21:20
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 23.04.2013 at 19:22

Haha, yeah, nowadays I don't really rate anything below 5. I wait a few more spins before deciding, and only listen to albums from where I already liked some songs, so it basically starts from 5.
Thanks for the link, I actually saw this already, the song I heard was the first song from here. I'm not a big fan of black metal, I only like this symphonic type. I listened most of it, sounds nice, I really like the atmosphere, but doesn't seem melodic enough for my tastes. But I will give it a few more spins, I think it will be a grower. Thanks again!

I usually only hand out 7's and higher, since I only listen to stuff that I like. And if I don't like it, I don't keep on listening to it, thus I don't rate it, haha. But yeah, most of the time I really need to listen multiple times to an album to judge it well, because most of the time I begin liking it more after more spins. And I have to admit that I also enjoy symphonic black metal the most out of all black metal, but I enjoy atmospheric black metal a lot too. Pure black metal is great too, but I'm not always in the mood for that.

Anyway, not melodic enough? Well, I disagree, but it's all subjective I guess, hehe.
23.04.2013 - 21:57
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 23.04.2013 at 21:20

Anyway, not melodic enough?

Well, compared to Dimmu Borgir, which is my favourite "black" metal band, no
03.05.2013 - 00:23
PocketMetal

I would put lots of weird avantgarde crap on my top 50 , but I agree with most of these album being 9+. (except the 5 albums I still haven't listened to )
03.05.2013 - 21:21
Erik M.

Written by PocketMetal on 03.05.2013 at 00:23

I would put lots of weird avantgarde crap on my top 50 , but I agree with most of these album being 9+. (except the 5 albums I still haven't listened to )

Wow, you actually have heard 45 albums on this list? Impressive. I have more albums that are a 9 or higher but those just didn't make it in this top 50. This started off as a top 20 list which was soon expanded to a top 50... at some point I'll expand it to a top 100 I think, but that wouldn't be in the near future. And I'm curious... which 5 albums haven't you heard?

I'm curious to see your top albums list, so why don't you create one too? Anyway, thanks for the +1!
04.05.2013 - 08:14
PocketMetal

Written by Erik M. on 03.05.2013 at 21:21

Wow, you actually have heard 45 albums on this list? Impressive. I have more albums that are a 9 or higher but those just didn't make it in this top 50. This started off as a top 20 list which was soon expanded to a top 50... at some point I'll expand it to a top 100 I think, but that wouldn't be in the near future. And I'm curious... which 5 albums haven't you heard?

I'm curious to see your top albums list, so why don't you create one too? Anyway, thanks for the +1!

yeah, I have an obsession of listening to music and recommending it to others myself . the ones I've never heard are Yearning , Old Man's Child , Disembowelment , DImmu Borgir and Emperor .
04.05.2013 - 16:41
Erik M.

Written by PocketMetal on 04.05.2013 at 08:14

yeah, I have an obsession of listening to music and recommending it to others myself . the ones I've never heard are Yearning , Old Man's Child , Disembowelment , DImmu Borgir and Emperor .

Hehe, I kind of have the same thing recently (especially with checking out debut albums for my list... it's gone out of control a bit to be honest ). If you like atmospheric doom then definitely check out Yearning. I've heard 3 albums of Yearning and Evershade is by far the best out of those, a real gem of an album. The album of Old Man's Child that I've listed is their (his: Galder) best work too, along with Revelation 666 - The Curse of Damnation (which is very underrated). Disembowelment is a must-hear if you like death/doom metal, a crushing and massive album that one, not to mention very original since they were among the first ones to mix death metal with doom metal. I think Spiritual Black Dimensions is Dimmu Borgir's best work, although somehow most people disagree with this and think Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is their best. I like that one almost as much, but not so much to put it in my top 50, though definitely top 100 material. Well, lastly there's Emperor... like Disembowelment's debut it's a true classic in the subgenre. Anyway, have fun listening to those albums.
10.05.2013 - 09:42
PocketMetal

Written by Erik M. on 03.05.2013 at 21:21

Hi again , since you are "curious" it wouldn't hurt to check out my facebook page :
http://www.facebook.com/MainstreamMusicNot

me and some of my friends talk about music we like here , the reviews are not really in-depth or anything ... just some recommendations . we're having so much fun interacting with some of our favorite musicians.
10.05.2013 - 13:38
mz

Quote:
Hi again , since you are "curious" it wouldn't hurt to check out my facebook page :

me and some of my friends talk about music we like here , the reviews are not really in-depth or anything ... just some recommendations . we're having so much fun interacting with some of our favorite musicians.

You are the admin of Mainstreem music.not? Good job, one of my favorite fb pages
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
10.05.2013 - 16:04
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
You have a number of bands that I like but the wrong releases!
----
rekt
10.05.2013 - 16:42
Erik M.

Written by tea[m]ster on 10.05.2013 at 16:04

You have a number of bands that I like but the wrong releases!

Thanks! Which albums would that be?
10.05.2013 - 16:51
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Hehe, I knew you'd ask Nothing wrong with your choices it's just I like some others better.

Alcest - their last two are much better
Agalloch - Marrow is their best release yet
Anathema - We're here is gorgeous
Fen - Dustwalker is fucking huge
Opeth - Ghost Reveries is a classic
Swallow The Sun - New Moon by a nose
WITTR - Celestial is a perfect blend of atmosphere and black metal
----
rekt
10.05.2013 - 17:02
Erik M.

Written by tea[m]ster on 10.05.2013 at 16:51

Hehe, I knew you'd ask Nothing wrong with your choices it's just I like some others better.

Alcest - their last two are much better
Agalloch - Marrow is their best release yet
Anathema - We're here is gorgeous
Fen - Dustwalker is fucking huge
Opeth - Ghost Reveries is a classic
Swallow The Sun - New Moon by a nose
WITTR - Celestial is a perfect blend of atmosphere and black metal

Wow, although it seems we like the same bands, our tastes still differ immensely, because I don't agree with most of those choices at all.

Have only heard Alcest's first and second albums, and I like the first one more but the second one is still great though. Agalloch... you're actually one of the few people who likes "Marrow" more, but I feel it's their weakest, but still great (still a 8.5 for me). I'd rank their albums like this: Ashes Against the Grain > The Mantle > Pale Folklore > Marrow of the Spirit. I don't enjoy Anathema's later albums, as I'm more into death/doom. Serenades and especially The Silent Enigma are the best for me, but I admit I haven't heard everything by them (because I don't like the style). Have only listened to Epoch and The Malediction Fields and this debut is by a long shot their best, a 9.5 for me, although Epoch is probably a 7 or something... very boring in comparison to the debut. I'll listen to Dustwalker though, thanks for the tip. Most Opeth albums are excellent and Ghost Reveries ranks at #4 for me (which you can see in my list), just behind Blackwater Park, Morningrise and Still Life. Honestly, if I didn't limit the amount of albums per band to just 2 albums I'd probably add those 4 albums because they're all masterpieces in my opinion, so we (somewhat) agree about that. New Moon is overrated a bit in my opinion and I like their debut and Hope more, but it's definitely a great album. So again, it's just personal preference. I've only heard the debut and Two Hunters of WITTR, so I cannot say anything about their other albums. I definitely check those out though!
10.05.2013 - 17:08
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Erik M. on 10.05.2013 at 17:02

as I'm more into death/doom

This.

I can tell by your list I.E. Katatonia, Anathema, Opeth choices. Celestial Lineage by WITTR is really good. Give it a shot!
----
rekt
10.05.2013 - 17:12
Erik M.

Written by tea[m]ster on 10.05.2013 at 17:08

This.

I can tell by your list I.E. Katatonia, Anathema, Opeth choices. Celestial Lineage by WITTR is really good. Give it a shot!

Yep, it's quite obvious isn't it? And I'll definitely check Celestial Lineage out (Black Cascade too, but I'll save it for last) soon.
10.05.2013 - 22:27
PocketMetal

Written by mz on 10.05.2013 at 13:38

You are the admin of Mainstreem music.not? Good job, one of my favorite fb pages

Yes I am , thanks ... I know you from the page .
11.05.2013 - 03:12
Erik M.

Written by PocketMetal on 10.05.2013 at 09:42

I looked on it a bit and saw some interesting music, so I liked your page.
24.06.2013 - 21:40
?apleee
Mouthcrab
I'm pretty sure that you ripped off my formatting :þ
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
27.06.2013 - 00:50
Erik M.

Written by ?apleee on 24.06.2013 at 21:40

I'm pretty sure that you ripped off my formatting :þ

I'm not sure about the genres, but the idea of including my favourite songs is indeed from you. Not a bad idea at all I'd say.
28.07.2013 - 13:40
Zap
Oh my God, your favorite track from Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness is "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" too? Wow, that's such a weird coincidence.
28.07.2013 - 15:54
Erik M.

Written by Zap on 28.07.2013 at 13:40

Oh my God, your favorite track from Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness is "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" too? Wow, that's such a weird coincidence.

Haha, so you're actually saying it's your favourite too? Wow!
28.07.2013 - 16:16
Zap
Written by Erik M. on 28.07.2013 at 15:54

Haha, so you're actually saying it's your favourite too? Wow!

Yes, it's totally amazing, though I dislike all the other tracks on that album, they don't do it for me.
Kidding aside, cool list, though as someone mentioned some bands on it have albums I like better than the ones you chose.
I fail at making lists myself because I always end up adding a lot of albums that I don't listen to a lot anymore but still consider "masterpieces" because at some point they were my absolute favorites.
And then I end up deleting those lists.
And then I want to re-create them.
And then I notice that I just made the exact same list that I deleted moments earlier.
And then I cancel.
It's really sad and stuff.
29.07.2013 - 00:54
Erik M.

Written by Zap on 28.07.2013 at 16:16

Yes, it's totally amazing, though I dislike all the other tracks on that album, they don't do it for me.
Kidding aside, cool list, though as someone mentioned some bands on it have albums I like better than the ones you chose.
I fail at making lists myself because I always end up adding a lot of albums that I don't listen to a lot anymore but still consider "masterpieces" because at some point they were my absolute favorites.
And then I end up deleting those lists.
And then I want to re-create them.
And then I notice that I just made the exact same list that I deleted moments earlier.
And then I cancel.
It's really sad and stuff.

Haha, thanks. I see what you mean however. There a few albums on this list that I haven't heard in months, but I listen to most of these albums regularly. I also update it once every few months, but not too often. At first this list contained 20 albums (only the 10's that I've handed out), then I expanded it to 50 albums with a maximum of 2 albums per band. Slowly I began to work towards 1 album per band for the sake of variety and this is the result. I only update it when I stumble across one or more albums that blew me away, but that doesn't happen very often. Eventually I will expand this list to 75 albums, but that could take me a while and I'm obviously not in a hurry. Still, I would like to see one of those lists you created since your musical taste is rather... unknown to me at the moment.
29.07.2013 - 19:56
Zap
Written by Erik M. on 29.07.2013 at 00:54

Still, I would like to see one of those lists you created since your musical taste is rather... unknown to me at the moment.

Ha yes, the only thing on my profile you can really go on is the 8 bands under Favorite Bands, and even from those bands I don't like everything.
I might give listmaking another shot some time soon, but if I'm not completely satisfied with the result, it won't see the light of day, haha.
If I were to make a list it would have some of the albums featured here and there'd also be some different albums from bands featured here. Overall, our tastes are about 30% similar, based on this list, since there's about 15 bands here that I'd feature too.
If you're curious, these are some albums that would without a doubt make the list:
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Wintersun - Wintersun
Skeletonwitch - Beyond The Permafrost
Iced Earth - Night Of The Stormrider
Nevermore - Dead Heart, In A Dead World
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Sylosis - Monolith
06.08.2013 - 21:42
Erik M.

Written by Zap on 29.07.2013 at 19:56

Ha yes, the only thing on my profile you can really go on is the 8 bands under Favorite Bands, and even from those bands I don't like everything.
I might give listmaking another shot some time soon, but if I'm not completely satisfied with the result, it won't see the light of day, haha.
If I were to make a list it would have some of the albums featured here and there'd also be some different albums from bands featured here. Overall, our tastes are about 30% similar, based on this list, since there's about 15 bands here that I'd feature too.
If you're curious, these are some albums that would without a doubt make the list:
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Wintersun - Wintersun
Skeletonwitch - Beyond The Permafrost
Iced Earth - Night Of The Stormrider
Nevermore - Dead Heart, In A Dead World
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Sylosis - Monolith

I know it's a late reply, but better late than never. And yes, I noticed those 8 bands as well as your collection, but no votes (I remember you saying you deleted them due to your own opinion changing frequently). By the way, this list isn't a perfect representation of music that I listen to a lot. I must admit I limited it to just 1 album/band for the sake of variety, but everything is still excellent stuff on here, no doubt about that. I'm definitely satisfied with this list though so I won't really edit it anymore until I have enough "material" for a top 75, but that will be months from now I think.

Anyway, interesting to see you chose My Arms, Your Hearse since I think most people would choose albums like Blackwater Park, Still Life or Ghost Reveries easily over that one (me included). That Mastodon album is one I've been meaning to check out sooner or later because it's been hailed as (one of their) best albums and I liked the debut a lot. As for the others, not familiar with Skeletonwitch or Iced Earth (I know, hard to believe, isn't it? ) and I probably won't agree with Sylosis if it's anything like their debut (which I liked enough to put on my debut albums list, but not enough to listen to that band anymore, at all). I'll say it again (being the list-obsessed person that I am ): I hope you still decide to create a list.
06.08.2013 - 22:42
Zap
Don't want this to take up too much space on your thread (I tried to shorten it), so just scroll up to see what I'm replying to

First off, I don't think there can be a perfect representation of the music taste of someone like you or me, because we keep discovering new things on a regular basis
About my voting, it's not that my opinion changes. If I ever give an album an 8, I'll never hate it. It's just that there are a lot of albums that I like better in certain moods, so they might change from an 8 to an 8.5 to a 9 from time to time. Also, some albums sadly just don't stand the test of time as well as others and could drop from a 9 to an 8 after a year.

And yes, not a lot of people would choose MAYH over Blackwater Park or Still Life (both amazing albums btw), but Opeth's third album just does something (even more) magical for me. Ghost Reveries on the other hand is an album I find quite overrated, I absolutely love the title track, but other than that I think it's one of Opeth's weakest releases along with their latest two albums.
You might want to check out that Iced Earth album since I know you're not a big power metal fan and that album is definitely one of the darkest and most aggressive power metal albums you'll encounter.
I'm only familiar with Sylosis' last two releases which are quite different from the debut and also have a different vocalist, but since I don't know the debut that well I can't say whether you should give Monolith a spin. (Listen to "A Dying Vine" if you want a good representation of that album.)
One more thing, if you're going to give Mastodon's Crack The Skye a listen, either forget everything you know about the debut or listen to their discography chronologically. That way you can clearly see where they come from and see how their sound on Remission evolved into that of Crack The Skye. Mastodon is a band that changes with every album so their fourth album is very different from the debut. At least that's the advice I'd give, it's your choice if you want to follow it
12.10.2013 - 10:55
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
You got my thumb up here and I think I'm even gonna add few albums to my list. For example Spires, Verdunkeln or Penumbra. Good albums with less than 100 votes.
12.10.2013 - 16:40
Erik M.

Written by Hex_Omega on 12.10.2013 at 10:55

You got my thumb up here and I think I'm even gonna add few albums to my list. For example Spires, Verdunkeln or Penumbra. Good albums with less than 100 votes.

Thanks man. Yeah, those that you mention here are definitely overlooked, especially Spires and Verdunkeln. Others on my list that would qualify for yours would be Ixion - To The Void, Inquisition - Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult, Noekk - The Grimalkin (definitely this one, as it only has 17 votes and is simply an amazing album that very few people know), Unholy - Gracefallen and Yearning - Evershade. It goes without saying I think all those albums are awesome and overlooked.
02.11.2013 - 22:55
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle - experimental prog? Really? Where do these classifications come from?
Good album BTW, but experimental prog, man, I laughed so hard reading this...
02.11.2013 - 23:38
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 02.11.2013 at 22:55

Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle - experimental prog? Really? Where do these classifications come from?
Good album BTW, but experimental prog, man, I laughed so hard reading this...

To be honest I only labelled it as such a couple of days ago when I was listening to the new album. But damn, while I know everything Ayreon has put out very well, I'm a bit at a loss when it comes to the genre. Of course it's progressive but it's much more than just progressive and the new album definitely has quite a few experimental parts in it, though maybe not enough to call the band an experimental band. What would you say Ayreon's genre is then?
03.11.2013 - 00:13
mz

Experimental prog=avantgarde, or experimental everything=avantgarde I should say. Could probably be the first time I hear such tag. Some bands have been classified as experimental/progressive but not experimental prog. Progressive music, at least in words, is meant to promote experiments within music so your term is really odd Erik.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.

Hits total: 22517 | This month: 104