02. Sons Of Winter And Stars
    1 - Rain Of Stars
    2 - Surrounded By Darkness
    3 - Journey Inside A Dream
    4 - Sons Of Winter And Stars
03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

After the charming Eastern folk influenced introduction, it soon becomes apparent that things have changed with the band in the last eight years. From the album theme of comprehending human emotion and our time on earth to the musicianship and ambitious nature of the orchestrations, Wintersun have aimed for a much grander sound.

Much more symphonic, bombastic even, "Sons Of Winter And Stars" kicks the album off with high spirit and energy. Eight years all of a sudden becomes a little more understandable with the amount of attention to detail and intricate compositions that are so copiously and lavishly interlaced into the music. The musicianship is absolutely top-notch throughout and the closing two minutes of the song provide a wonderfully epic and memorable crescendo.

The album has so many layers, it is deeply ambitious. Time I is an album that has very clearly had so much dedication and effort put into it, but at times it also sounds like Jari has become so consumed with making this the masterpiece everyone wanted that it becomes a little over-indulgent with how complex and dense the compositions are. We are presented a masterclass of orchestration in metal, but it is a challenge to digest and connect with.

With a running time of forty minutes, which includes the introduction and interlude, Time I as a standalone album is very short. The previously mentioned "Sons Of Winter And Stars" and title track "Time" are both great songs and enough to make you crave the second album, but it is hard not to feel underwhelmed when the album seems to cut short. It isn't made any better with a questionable light and quiet production either. Time I then is exactly that; the first of two halves, not the complete article.

The album is mindblowingly impressive in portions, but is just a little too complex and indulgent for its own good. Perhaps along with Time II the picture will become complete, but even though this album has some golden moments - it just feels unfinished alone.

-

Symphonic Extreme Power metal
Nuclear Blast
Finland
Length: 40:07

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written on 22.10.2012 by Member of Staff since 2006

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Comments

Comments: 216   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 1216 users
22.10.2012 - 18:08
jadawal

Pretty good review, I mostly agree. I found in some parts it was hard to hear drums or guitar, but still a few really good songs/parts
22.10.2012 - 18:10
Rating: 9
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 22.10.2012 at 18:03

Wait... How come that album with "9" for originality gets only 7.5 in overall?

Probably because this isn't how it's supposed to be released. This fact is beyond the numeric section of the reviewing system of Metal Storm.
22.10.2012 - 18:13
Darth Mitchell
Mitchell

Rating:

Maybe because the total picture isn't what he expected it to be? The high ratings for the Performance, Songwritting and Originality don't make an final rating. Something might sound awesome but isn't what the reviewer expected it to be. The last paragraph shows what I mean
22.10.2012 - 18:20
EmeraldSword

I liked the brutal honesty of this review. I couldn't have written this better myself. Thanks Baz, I agree with your sentiments in this review. The overall reaction to listening to this album is that it although it's emotionally moving with the eastern-influenced orchestration, the music leaves the metal listener eager for Time II where hopefully more guitar riffs reside.
22.10.2012 - 18:22
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Your review is spot on Baz, though I enjoyed Land of Snow and Sorrow a lot too. The album is great but that it leaves you wanting more is its only criticism for me. It's a tough call I guess: Give the fans what they want, new music, and risk them getting upset for wanting to hear more or continue to make them wait another year or so.

Musically though, the melodies have been stuck in my head since I started listening to it. Having already heard The Way of the Fire, together Time I and II should be a pretty epic listen. Overall Time I feels like three tracks to me because the intro and interlude flow into the tracks that follow so well.
22.10.2012 - 18:28
Rating: 7
Rulatore

Sometimes it's hard to hear the drums, guitars and understand what he is singing, like two verses at the same time, two voices at the same time, don't know

I don't like to think it's an album, sounds more like an ep with only 3 songs
22.10.2012 - 18:45
atkmetal123

I agree with the production part, the sound wasn't good, guitar and drum are kinda being messed up, orchestra is too overwhelming. But I'm satisfied with this album, though. 8.5/10 for me
22.10.2012 - 18:45
UnknownCheese

The intro is the most interesting thing on the CD by a long shot. He should have used more Japanese influences, could have made for an interesting album. Better luck next time, Jari.
22.10.2012 - 18:49
psykometal
A staff guy...

Rating:

The Rating is not an average of the 4 scores above. They are completely separate. The 4 areas are just that, they are areas of criticism. The final Rating is set by the writer not a calculator and is to show their final opinion of how they feel all those parts came together.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

22.10.2012 - 18:57
Zap
Wow, I've never read a review that gave the exact same score as I would and that captures my thoughts almost identically. Nice review, I (obviously) agree completely.
22.10.2012 - 19:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 22.10.2012 at 19:18

7.5 is way too low... I am sure if Ensiferum, Brymir, Equilibrium or any other band had released this, they would have been rated much higher.

too low. I would say it's even a full point too high. Really nothing special, deep, complex etc. about this album at all. Just a standard symphonic metal album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.10.2012 - 19:26
nicaZe
Savatage
Not what I expect...it could be better
22.10.2012 - 19:34
BudDa

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.10.2012 at 19:21

too low. I would say it's even a full point too high. Really nothing special, deep, complex etc. about this album at all. Just a standard symphonic metal album.

I thought so too. And add to the fact that this should have come out about 5 years back...7.5 is abit generous
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
22.10.2012 - 19:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 22.10.2012 at 19:29

I like how bands like Katatonia or Dark tranquillity are highly praised for releasing completely the same thing over and over again... And then we can see the same people bashing Wintersun for "not being original and overally good enough".

Sorry but Kataonia's last three are very very mindnumbingly boring and you won't see me prasing it just as you won't see me praising Dark Tranquillity's last.
And although Wintersun changed their sound compared to the last album that does not make it good, but then again the debut was also decent;y average at best, just like this one.
And rating something a 6.5 is NOT bashing it.

Even bands that more or less release the same thing year in year could be of such quality that it is okay to do. Change in itself is not always good. And what Wintersun tries to do here has been done by many other bands, but they did it much much better.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.10.2012 - 19:42
Rating: 6
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by UnknownCheese on 22.10.2012 at 18:45

The intro is the most interesting thing on the CD by a long shot. He should have used more Japanese influences, could have made for an interesting album. Better luck next time, Jari.

Check out Whispered , they made an entire full length with Japanese influence. http://youtu.be/CLeHUE9DB-U
----
pewpew.. gotcha
22.10.2012 - 19:55
Rating: 6
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Great Review. The production is horrible, songs overly complex and album too short.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
22.10.2012 - 19:55
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Totally agree with "feels unfinished alone." , but I guess 7.5 is low for it ..
22.10.2012 - 19:59
Arcesse Eum

This album is like gazing into a audio cheese-kaleidoscope on LSD; impressive as hell - but the cheese could have been toned down. I also think he could have avoided exploding computers for 8 hears and toned down the cheese by doing all his string arrangements with a small string ensemble and then doing the rest of the orchestration with VSTs.

Anyone else feel like Kai Hahto took more of a back seat on this one?
----
As above, so below.
22.10.2012 - 20:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Compared to 99% of all metal albums it is definitely NOT a masterpiece and like I said it totally is NOT complex at all. It is simple layering done here. Somehow people seem to think it is complex because of a bit of orchestration and to be honest quite lame sugary fluffy orchestration.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.10.2012 - 20:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
It seems you are blinded/deafened by your fandom of the band.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.10.2012 - 20:17
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I still haven't heard this, but I'm sure I'll end up giving it a 4 or 5.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.10.2012 - 20:22
kalmah999
Account deleted
Nice review! this album is very good in my opinion, i gave him 9, but that's just me, clearly production is one aspect i like and don't like on this album but in general I liked it, dont consider it masterpiece or anything, im old fan of wintersun but really hate ppl calling everything Jari wrote a masterpiece -.- can't wait for second part sry for lame English
22.10.2012 - 20:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 22.10.2012 at 20:18

Arguments? I have one - the more complex music you're listening to the better audio system you need to actually hear the whole thing. Rather bad production of this album even rises requirements for imaging and separation.

I hope you haven't tried to listen to it using some crappy mp3 rip from the internet...

the point is that the music isn't complex at all.
And tbh my stereo (both cd/mp3/flac etc. player, cassette deck, record player, amplifiers, speakers) is all top end stuff.
What I heard is a lossless dowload of it. The production of the album is quite okay and nt as bad as people make it out to be,
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.10.2012 - 20:32
@gent_-_orange

Written by Boxcar Willy on 22.10.2012 at 20:17

I still haven't heard this, but I'm sure I'll end up giving it a 4 or 5.

Looking at the bands on your profile It's safe to say you wouldn't be missing out if you didn't listen to this. It's not that good.
22.10.2012 - 20:37
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I don't see the complexity in this at all.
Also I don't see how this got a 9 in originality. Imo this is extremely generic
22.10.2012 - 20:41
Rating: 10
Andreas

Written by Guest on 22.10.2012 at 20:02
It's not perfect but when I compare it with 99 % of metal albums it's a definite masterpiece that forms THE FIRST PART OF THE WHOLE THING AS IT IS CLAIMED IN ITS TITLE!

Allright, so it's very complex and a part of something bigger... then why are there so many people rating this album although they have just started listening to it? Complex music needs time (no pun intended) to digest. There's no big problem in rating a "part of something bigger" though.

And maybe it would be good if you just took some deep breaths, count to 10 and drink a glass of water (or whatever you like). When a reviewer doesn't rate your favourite album with a 10, it's not the end of the world.
22.10.2012 - 20:45
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Alex F on 22.10.2012 at 20:37

Definitely not worth a 9 but not extremely generic either. It's a clear progression in sound for Wintersun but the mixing simply doesn't do it justice.
22.10.2012 - 20:51
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Risto on 22.10.2012 at 20:45

Written by Alex F on 22.10.2012 at 20:37

Definitely not worth a 9 but not extremely generic either. It's a clear progression in sound for Wintersun but the mixing simply doesn't do it justice.

Ok well extremely generic was an overstatement, but I would give it more of a 6 or a 5 in that department honestly
22.10.2012 - 20:54
Sir Thrashalot

Great review. I do think that sometimes there's too many things and sounds going on at the same time, lyrics supperpose each other and makes it difficult to follow the vocal rythm because of it, but the album itself is very good.

It is, for sure, Part 1 of a duo, when "Time II" comes out and we put each other on play one right after the other, i'm very hopeful this is going to be the masterpiece everyone's been waiting for (including myself)
22.10.2012 - 20:56
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 22.10.2012 at 20:47

The point is that the music is complex. Maybe you cannot hear it... I don't know your system and listening environment but mine contains neutral amp and DAC of hightend quality (proved by measurements) + very good headphones carefully neutralized by EQ + TB Isone for natural perception of the sound.

I hear a very complex FIRST PART of a concept of many elements that keep repeating and connecting among themselves to create a very spectacular audio experience. The production of the album is rather bad than ok, I can hear it clearly when assessing the quality using TB Isone where you can quite objectively estimate how good the production really is.

The overall rating of this album is never going down to your 6.5 or 3 or whatever you would like to rate it... So maybe you're a bit deaf here because the opinion of the majority on MS is clearly more respectful than your opinion itself. But I still like you're honest as you said before. I am as well.

I shouldn't have to pay how ever many thousands of dollars/euros on audio equipment to be able to enjoy a $10 album. And, the "complexity" of the music shouldn't be so hidden in the music that I would need that equipment to properly hear it.

Hits total: 26832 | This month: 40