Metal Storm logo
Kamelot - Premiere New Video

Symphonic power metallers Kamelot have just premiered their brand new video for the song "Sacrimony (Angel Of Afterlife)" and you can now watch it below. This song is the debut single off their forthcoming album Silverthorn, their first with new singer Tommy Karevik. The video was directed by Ivan Čolić and filmed in Belgrade, Serbia and features appearances by Amaranthe vocalist Elize Ryd and The Agonist vocalist Alissa White-Gluz.

Silverthorn hits stores on October 30th in North America, October 26th in Germany and October 29th in the rest of Europe via Steamhammer/SPV.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Kamelot
Posted: 22.10.2012 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 48   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 325 users
23.10.2012 - 18:30
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by ArriettyNoka on 23.10.2012 at 12:19

I love Kamelot and Karevik and I really like the song, but I would love them more if Tommy uses his own voice/style and don't clone Roy. He has a great talent and I think he can do a big contribution to Kamelot.

The thing about him is that his vocal timber is way too similar with Khan's. Yes, there are some slight differences from his vocal performances in Seventh Wonder but not by much. Thomas Youngblood stated in several interviews that they selected him because they did not want to use different tune-ups and end up modifying the style that made them known, once I heard that I figured that they took him so that they do not change in style and also to please the fans which adored Khan and his vocal performance.

He mastered Khan's stage antics pretty well and he gives the same vibe Khan did. Somebody can call him a copy cat, but it doesn't change the fact that this song kicks hard ass. Ghost Opera has been the child of Oliver Palotai, as the album was more opera driven, and Palotai is classicaly trained and an exceptional keyboardist. It had some great songs, but you cannot compare this album with the previous 2, Epica and The Black Halo, simply because the last 2 had no songs that could be highlighted, in other words, all the songs were great and absolutely no filler songs in the albums.

Poetry for the Poisoned strayed a little bit from Ghost Opera and I think that it is more Khan's own breed, since it is pretty similar to his performance given on the early Conception albums, band in which he activated before joining Kamelot. Same like Ghost Opera, Poetry for the Poisoned had some good songs, The Great Pandemonium, Necropolis, Seal of Woven Years or Hunter's Season were songs that could make it on anybody's playlist easily.
23.10.2012 - 22:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 23.10.2012 at 18:30

The thing about him is that his vocal timber is way too similar with Khan's. Yes, there are some slight differences from his vocal performances in Seventh Wonder but not by much. Thomas Youngblood stated in several interviews that they selected him because they did not want to use different tune-ups and end up modifying the style that made them known, once I heard that I figured that they took him so that they do not change in style and also to please the fans which adored Khan and his vocal performance.

I knew that was why they chose him. So it seems I was right, Kamelot is going to continue to sound like Kamelot with Tommy "Roy Khan Jr." Karevic, and honestly I don't have a problem with that...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

24.10.2012 - 03:07
Italics
Written by R'Vannith on 23.10.2012 at 08:40

Written by Italics on 23.10.2012 at 06:40

it's so hip on MS to trash new albums by power metal bands

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, and why you feel the need to make a generalised statement that appears to have a provocative motive. Why do you feel the need to label other MS users, though indirectly?
And if anything power metal goes largely ignored in comparison to other genres..
I agree about Poetry though, didn't meet my expectations, so I'm hoping for something redeeming in this album.

Anyway, that song is great and the new vocalist has certainly adjusted to an appropriate style (unless he normally sings in such a way?), a sign of talent I think.

I said it because it's true for most power metal bands on here - Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Kamelot, etc. I just wanted to make it clear that I had actually listened to Poetry and sincerely found that it sucked... as opposed to simply assuming it sucked because other people said so.

And no, the new singer (his name is Tommy) doesn't typically sound that identical to Khan, but I'm guessing that it was done somewhat on purpose in this song.
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
24.10.2012 - 05:22
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Italics on 24.10.2012 at 03:07

I said it because it's true for most power metal bands on here - Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Kamelot, etc. I just wanted to make it clear that I had actually listened to Poetry and sincerely found that it sucked... as opposed to simply assuming it sucked because other people said so.

And no, the new singer (his name is Tommy) doesn't typically sound that identical to Khan, but I'm guessing that it was done somewhat on purpose in this song.

Possibly that's true of some bigger name bands, but still I don't think it's a fair judgement to assume that a majority of users follow a pack mentality and simply dislike an album because of what others have said. I mean the popularity of an idea doesn't have to spring from a lack of personal engagement with the music and doesn't necessarily mean that there are MS sheep everywhere. Like yourself I'm sure many people "actually" listened to Poetry and found it disappointing.
The again bias is something which can creep up unexpectedly, the simple statement "this one isn't as good" can alter one's impression of an album if they take it into consideration prior to listening, even afterwards I suppose.

I'll need to check out Seventh Wonder sometime, with this Tommy guy, because he is really gifted in that he can so easily take on another persona like he does filling the empty vocal space of Kamelot. I remember hearing bits of their latest album but didn't think much of it at the time.
24.10.2012 - 07:52
Italics
Written by R'Vannith on 24.10.2012 at 05:22

Written by Italics on 24.10.2012 at 03:07

Possibly that's true of some bigger name bands, but still I don't think it's a fair judgement to assume that a majority of users follow a pack mentality and simply dislike an album because of what others have said. I mean the popularity of an idea doesn't have to spring from a lack of personal engagement with the music and doesn't necessarily mean that there are MS sheep everywhere. Like yourself I'm sure many people "actually" listened to Poetry and found it disappointing.
The again bias is something which can creep up unexpectedly, the simple statement "this one isn't as good" can alter one's impression of an album if they take it into consideration prior to listening, even afterwards I suppose.

I'll need to check out Seventh Wonder sometime, with this Tommy guy, because he is really gifted in that he can so easily take on another persona like he does filling the empty vocal space of Kamelot. I remember hearing bits of their latest album but didn't think much of it at the time.

Well, another thing with power metal fans is that as soon as you stop making albums that are 90% speed tracks, they think your music sucks. Just look at Sonata Arctica... for the past 5+ years they've been telling fans they are not a power metal band anymore, yet people still act surprised and bash on their music for not sounding like Silence.

The only Seventh Wonder album I've listened to is The Great Escape. It's a good album, but not great. Most of the songs are very hit-or-miss, and for a prog album it fails to grow much on you. With that said, again, it's a good album.
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
24.10.2012 - 07:54
The Black Halo
If anything, what Tommy is doing by "mimicking" Khan should be a testament to his talent. Anyone that spends 5 minutes listening to Seventh Wonder knows that Tommy is his own vocalist, and sounds nothing like Khan. The fact that Kamelot picked someone special enough to mold himself into the image of the BAND, not the image of their former singer, should be relieved. How many times have long time singers been replaced by someone trying to make the band their own, and failed miserably?

Anyone throwing the term copycat around needs to do their homework on Tommy/Seventh Wonder.
----
~But I'll await my darkest hour
When the guilt doesn't get to me~
----------------------------------------
m/ m/ m/ m/ m/ m/ m/ m/
25.10.2012 - 09:48
Enissa
Awesome song and epic video, nothing more to add
25.10.2012 - 13:46
HumanSpirit
Written by The Black Halo on 24.10.2012 at 07:54

Anyone throwing the term copycat around needs to do their homework on Tommy/Seventh Wonder.

lol! Nuff said.
Karevik has been like this for some years now, his work with Seventh Wonder is awesome and THIS is his style. Period.

For the video... I'm a bit confused... I don't know If I want The Haunting kind of cheese back.... or this.

March Of Mephisto was a good video though.... But the "black eyes vocalist" trick is getting old and stupid.

Love Kamelot, new album is solid as the song is!
25.10.2012 - 14:24
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
A really nice song and very "Kamelot". It might even be able to spike my interest for the band again.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
25.10.2012 - 18:30
The Black Halo
Written by HumanSpirit on 25.10.2012 at 13:46

lol! Nuff said.
Karevik has been like this for some years now, his work with Seventh Wonder is awesome and THIS is his style. Period.

True, which further deepens my fear for the fate of Seventh Wonder. Kamelot has been one of my top 3 bands forever, but I loved SW. Mercy Falls was an incredible album, The Great Escape was slightly weaker but the strong tracks carried it. But no matter how much Tommy "pledges" he'll still work for both bands, fact is this isn't a side project, this is Kamelot. One of the most recognized power/prog bands in the industry. I only wonder how long SW will sit around waiting for Tommy to return from touring, recording sessions, photo shoots, meetings, etc before they say "Screw this" and move on.

Kamelot is a whole new beast from what Tommy is used to in SW. And he is only one man. There is no way he can work fulltime and record albums for 2 bands, and go on world tours with Kamelot, then come back and tour with SW, and expect both bands to have the patience for him to make that happen. And the worst part is Tommy is SO good, and sounds SO incredible for both bands, I honestly can't decide which band I rather have him stay in. Regardless, its no secret that in a years time from now one of these bands will be searching for a new singer, which is a shame.
----
~But I'll await my darkest hour
When the guilt doesn't get to me~
m/ m/ m/ m/ m/ m/ m/ m/
25.10.2012 - 21:41
Carrion Misery
I honestly wanted the new singer to show some semblance to Khan. If the singer didn't have the same range, vibrato style or melodies, then I most likely wouldn't want to listen to Kamelot anymore. You know there'd be people bitching if he sounded too different. I'd be one of them. They got the right guy -- that's all the matters.

I wish they didn't use so much god damn green screen in their videos. It looks too cartoony, but the music makes up for it, and so does Elize. She is hot as hell, and her expressions are very seductive.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
29.10.2012 - 11:55
Fredd
Account deleted
I'm confused. This vid game me a boner and a tear in my eye.
30.10.2012 - 04:47
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Pretty catchy song, already better than the band's previous output Worth checking out the rest of the album I'd say.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
30.10.2012 - 04:56
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
It's definitely better than Ghost And Poetry. I'm still trying to figure out if I like this more than The Black Halo or not, so atm Halo and Silverthorn tied for my fave Kamelot album.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

30.10.2012 - 21:22
The music video is awesome and one of there best, But sadly Simone is not in this video which makes me sad:(
But overall a good music video, but the song seems a bit popish compared to March Of Mephistro, Ghost Opera, Human Strain etc.
But overall I think they are coming to a bigger audience which I can respect
----
18.11.2012 - 17:28
Chriwalker
Account deleted
Written by Patrick. on 23.10.2012 at 13:31

Cool video, one of their better ones for sure. Tommy is a perfect fit for Kamelot. Will be exciting to see if he uses even more of his talents and range on the full album... Album of the year canditate? I wouldn't be surprised if it was!

Maybe even their best one? and defiantly a Album of the Year candidate I'd say! Kamelot stay's strong with Silverthorn that's for sure
19.11.2012 - 02:29
Patrick.
Written by Guest on 18.11.2012 at 17:28

Maybe even their best one? and defiantly a Album of the Year candidate I'd say! Kamelot stay's strong with Silverthorn that's for sure

I couldn't agree more, sure left me with my jaw to the floor!
It shall be very interesting to see if they now can keep up this momentum further down the road. Impressive how the string of killer albums that started back in the days with "The Fourth Legacy" has kept going right up to "Silverthorn". They are truly one of a kind.
19.11.2012 - 02:43
Patrick.
Written by The Black Halo on 25.10.2012 at 18:30

True, which further deepens my fear for the fate of Seventh Wonder. Kamelot has been one of my top 3 bands forever, but I loved SW. Mercy Falls was an incredible album, The Great Escape was slightly weaker but the strong tracks carried it. But no matter how much Tommy "pledges" he'll still work for both bands, fact is this isn't a side project, this is Kamelot. One of the most recognized power/prog bands in the industry. I only wonder how long SW will sit around waiting for Tommy to return from touring, recording sessions, photo shoots, meetings, etc before they say "Screw this" and move on.

Kamelot is a whole new beast from what Tommy is used to in SW. And he is only one man. There is no way he can work fulltime and record albums for 2 bands, and go on world tours with Kamelot, then come back and tour with SW, and expect both bands to have the patience for him to make that happen. And the worst part is Tommy is SO good, and sounds SO incredible for both bands, I honestly can't decide which band I rather have him stay in. Regardless, its no secret that in a years time from now one of these bands will be searching for a new singer, which is a shame.

I almost fear you may be right, I just hope we won't have to see such a travesty for either band anytime soon. However if such events were to come by in the near future, as much as I love Tommy with Kamelot, I'd rather have him return to Seventh Wonder fulltime to be honest. Kamelot has proven themselves without Khan, and I believe as long as Youngblood still is in charge of things, they will land on both of their feet and find someone worthy. Seventh Wonder on the other hand has such a unique sound with Tommy and especially his approach to writing vocal melodies, that I think they would lose much more of their identity/quality if he was to leave them for Kamelot instead of the other way around, if you know what I mean. Still, I'm in the same boat as you, would hate to see it go down this path for either band.

Hits total: 5010 | This month: 8