04. Expedition
05. Where I Reign
06. Parting Visions
07. Once A Dream
08. Rhydin
09. Irea
10. Siége
11. One Day [Japanese bonus]

It's really obvious that a band like Kamelot received popularity through their lead singer. Siege Perilous is the first album from symphonic/power metal band Kamelot to feature ex-Conception singer Roy Khan as the new lead singer. If you are a Conception fan then you know the beauty and power of Roy Khan's voice considering he is a trained opera singer who decided to leave and enter the pathway to metal. Many power metal bands usually lose their magic when it comes to having a new lead singer or main member but this is not the case with Kamelot. Siege Perilous contains brilliant tracks that start to open the doors to Kamelot's success in the future.

But this album is different from any Kamelot album I've ever heard. Roy Khan's voice is much less powerful but still has that effort put into the album. The performance as well can be mixed in some ways. This album is a first, so of course fans will have mix views on the album (like myself). But I'm guessing that Roy was still searching for his voice in Kamelot which is alright to me since the tracks on the album keep me head banging at home. The album contains music that is inspired from medieval time to battles of glorious warriors and fantasy imaginations (this continues throughout Kamelot's discography until Ghost Opera). Songs like "Expedition", "Providence" and "Rhydin" pretty much describe kingdoms and exploration throughout the lyrics and music. Overall, the music is decent and well adjusted, but it's not perfect at all.

Some flaws in the album include Roy Khan's voice again sounding less powerful than his previous works with Conception and his work with the next 6 Kamelot albums. Also the songs are pretty spread out or stretched which isn't much of a flaw. "Siege" is an instrumental which in my opinion is boring and also the bonus track "One Day" wasn't all fun as well to hear. Overall, this is a must have for every Kamelot fan out there to explore the beginning of Roy's performance in the band.

Must Listen to Tracks: "Providence," "Rhydin" and "Millennium".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Epictemptation | 24.10.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 108 users
24.10.2012 - 17:08
Rating: 10
Jiri

One of Jiri's favorite power metal albums. Great review of it
24.10.2012 - 18:05
Rating: 8
Erik M.

Nice review, I'd give it an 8/10 too. Initially it was a 9/10, but some songs are just not that good, or I just don't like listening to them. I agree with the must-listen tracks, but I'd add Expedition and Parting Visions... I kind of dislike Once A Dream and Irea, and I hate One Day (always turn it off after Siége).
30.10.2012 - 22:36
Nemo Atkins

No offence, but I found this album very dull when I listened to it. To me, the album had two serious problems, which were:
-Production was pretty poor: Khan struggled to be audible at points and many instruments were difficult to hear (the last one might have been my cd player, though: one of the speakers is very muffled and quiet)
-The music was pretty weak throughout, with nothing I'd have said being particularly memorable (fell asleep during my first listen, nearly did during my second, didn't remember anything from third despite staying awake throughout it and giving it my undivided attention)

That said, it's worth a listen, since it introduced Khan to the band and is good to give you an indication of how drastically they improved for The Fourth Legacy and the three classics that followed that. (seriously, the difference is so impressive that I struggle to believe it's the same band!)

EDIT: found out what was wrong with the speaker: a wire came loose at the back of the player connecting to the speaker and I hadn't noticed. Gonna give it another listen later today to see how much of an impact it has on the sound.
30.10.2012 - 23:21
Epictemptation

Written by Nemo Atkins on 30.10.2012 at 22:36

No offence, but I found this album very dull when I listened to it. To me, the album had two serious problems, which were:
-Production was pretty poor: Khan struggled to be audible at points and many instruments were difficult to hear (the last one might have been my cd player, though: one of the speakers is very muffled and quiet)
-The music was pretty weak throughout, with nothing I'd have said being particularly memorable (fell asleep during my first listen, nearly did during my second, didn't remember anything from third despite staying awake throughout it and giving it my undivided attention)

That said, it's worth a listen, since it introduced Khan to the band and is good to give you an indication of how drastically they improved for The Fourth Legacy and the three classics that followed that. (seriously, the difference is so impressive that I struggle to believe it's the same band!)

Yah I get you man, I had that same thought until I listened to "The Expedition" and saw that the songs from SP could be played at a more "Khan" level
----
11.05.2015 - 03:56
Rating: 8
Oakdude

Good review!

When I first heard the album I didn't like any of it, but after hearing some of the songs live on The Expedition live album I started listening more and more, and this album really has some great songs.
Providence, Millenium, King's Eyes, Expedition, and Once A Dream are all awesome, really great songs that deserves more attention from Kamelot fans.
13.05.2015 - 09:51
Rating: 7
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Jiri on 24.10.2012 at 17:08

One of Jiri's favorite power metal albums. Great review of it

I know it's a 3-year-old quote, but it cracks me up when people talk about themselves in 3rd person.
14.05.2015 - 00:27
Rating: 10
Jiri

Quote:
I know it's a 3-year-old quote, but it cracks me up when people talk about themselves in 3rd person.

Jiri is always happy to entertain, bro!
30.01.2018 - 18:44
Tatsella
Fangirl
Written by Oakdude on 11.05.2015 at 03:56

When I first heard the album I didn't like any of it, but after hearing some of the songs live on The Expedition live album I started listening more and more, and this album really has some great songs.

Exactly! Live versions are superior and they helped me to get into whole Siége Perilous. Albums's biggest problem is production, what a shame..
P.S. I absolutely love your signature

Hits total: 6687 | This month: 14