Metal Storm logo
Orphaned Land - Ask Fans To Help Nominate Band For Nobel Peace Prize

Israeli progressive metal band Orphaned Land is encouraging fans to sign a petition (created by a fan of the band) submitted to the Norwegian Nobel Committee to consider them for the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize, in case you think they are worthy of such a prize.

Vocalist Kobi Farhi left this message on the band's Facebook page: "This is my personal request to all my friends from the Middle East, Turkey, and in general from all my Muslim friends here on my page: We know for a long time now that we are above politics, we know that if it was in our hands, peace would have prevailed right away. Please enter this link and sign if you find us worthy, please also spread the word and share it on your pages? I send my endless love to all of you and all my love and best greetings for the coming holyday in a few days. Salam/Shalom/Peace."

The petition refers four major achievements of the band in the effort to transform the Middle East conflicts:

• Reciprocating the band's courageous efforts to cross religious and national boundaries, Divan, an Iranian rock magazine, featured Orphaned Land on their cover in an eight-page spread.
  • In 2010, the band was awarded a peace prize by Istanbul Commerce University for their contribution to the friendship between Muslims and Jews in the Middle East.
  • In February 2012, in a five-city tour of Turkey (in which proceeds from the Istanbul concert went to the victims of the Van earthquake), Orphaned Land was given The Friendship and Peace Award from Dr. Huseyin Tugcu, official advisor to Prime Minster Erdogan.
  • In September 2012, Orphaned Land was bestowed another Peace and Friendship award by Bulent Tanik, Mayor of Cankaya (the main district of the capital Ankara).

Source: centurymedia.com
    Band profile: Orphaned Land
  • Posted: 26.10.2012 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
    Comments: 46   Visited by: 317 users
    26.10.2012 - 18:37
    ManiacBlasphemer
    Black Knight
    You know, in stead of the European Union or figures like Kissinger, I would definitely opt for Orphaned Land. Any day, any where.
    26.10.2012 - 18:38
    truenoacero
    Orphaned Land is an example of music above politics and I think they deserve that prize. I have signed the petition right now.
    26.10.2012 - 19:00
    UnknownCheese
    Some pretty dubious people have gotten the prize, but this is ridiculous. Even more so because they're asking us to sign an online petition(LOL).
    26.10.2012 - 19:03
    Slyfang
    Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 26.10.2012 at 18:37

You know, in stead of the European Union or figures like Kissinger, I would definitely opt for Orphaned Land. Any day, any where.

Kissinger is a soulless warmonger anyway
    26.10.2012 - 19:05
    Lit.
    Account deleted
    Yeah, right.
    26.10.2012 - 19:16
    X-Ray Rod
    Skandino
    Staff
    If Obama got it... why not these guys?
    ----
    Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
    Like you could kiss my ass
    Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
    Rod, let me love you.
    26.10.2012 - 19:17
    MechanisT
    Account deleted

Agreed upon.
    26.10.2012 - 19:22
    ManiacBlasphemer
    Black Knight
    Written by Slyfang on 26.10.2012 at 19:03

Kissinger is a soulless warmonger anyway

What that guy did in Vietnam is absolutely insane, and even more insane are the people that actually gave him the nobel prize. The Nobel Prize lost its value after Kissinger and a couple of other dubious people recieved such a prize. They had to remind us in 2012 by giving it to the EU, the EU that has countries like Great Britain, France, Belgium, Netherlands and Portugal around, countries that stirred war directly or indirectly. Not to mention that inside its borders, these countries struggle with discrimination lawsuits (Sweden), freedom of speeh issues (yes! this happened a lot lately, check for example Great Britain, a country influenced heavily by euro-skeptic groups which gathers more than 50% of the population). Freedom of press is being annihilated in Hungary as well. Also, political corectness stands like a sort of soviet gulag, quick to shun and ostracize those that dare to complain about the political decisions taken by 27 unelected members

Ridiculous or not, I would give this prize to Orphaned Land any time, instead of wasting it on EU or Kissinger.
    26.10.2012 - 19:33
    Ag Fox
    Angel No More
    Elite
    Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.10.2012 at 19:16

that's exactly what i thought when seeing the title of the news item
    ----
    loves 小巫
    26.10.2012 - 19:46
    Fk yeah! the Nobel Peace prize just sucks... z...z.. don't even figure what makes it
    26.10.2012 - 20:01
    Hallford9000
    Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.10.2012 at 19:16

Cause metalheads and bands are bad people, rapers, murderers and satan worshipers. Yup that sums up the opinion of most people.
    26.10.2012 - 21:31
    Paulius
    Haha, I believe it's not that hard to be friends with Turkey, the only muslim ally of Israel. Not so sure about the Arab states, though.
    26.10.2012 - 22:00
    gid
    You guys do know that the Nobel Peace Prize is often awarded to encourage the person/organization to pursue peace, right? That's why it was awarded to the EU and to Obama before that: not to recognize them for what they had already done, but to act as an incentive.

Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good moan though. Carry on.
    26.10.2012 - 22:12
    Ellrohir
    Heaven Knight
    Finally someone worth of this prize
    ----
    My rest seems now calm and deep
    Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.10.2012 - 22:13
    ManiacBlasphemer
    Black Knight
    Written by gid on 26.10.2012 at 22:00

You guys do know that the Nobel Peace Prize is often awarded to encourage the person/organization to pursue peace, right? That's why it was awarded to the EU and to Obama before that: not to recognize them for what they had already done, but to act as an incentive.

Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good moan though. Carry on.

Actually, the Nobel prize is awarded for the activity a person or an organization has been doing since their inception. You cannot give it to Kissinger for example after he managed to bombard a nation unscrupulously with napalm bombs and after several years he suddenly had a change of heart and wanted to be a pacifist.

The EU is a soviet construction where the marxist ideology is its religion. The only good thing is that they kept the nations from causing a conflict inside its own borders, but it didn't manage to avoid conflicts outside of its construction. The EU passes through a democratic crisis, more and more rights are being violated and we see it every day.

Your reasoning is shallow. You cannot give a Nobel prize, lets say for medicine, to someone that has not even contributed with anything until now, and you just give it to him as a motivation, that is not what means to get a reward, because this is what the Nobel prize is, like any other prizes, a reward.

You want to know why Kissinger, for example, was awarded? Simple, he is american, that is why, and it isn't a discrimination. You don't need to be Einstein to realize that you gave a Nobel prize for peace to someone that terrorized a country for 10 years. It is like giving it to Hitler or Stalin because they managed to fuck up entire nations.

As for Obama, truth to be told, he did not start a war since he won the elections. Not the same can be said about his predecessor. I am more worried if Mitt Romney wins them, since the Republicans are backed by the army, the military industry and the jewish lobby.

P.S. If you want to know what Kissinger did in Vietnam, think about how it is possible to turn a mountain or a hill into a plain, this is how much he destroyed in Vietnam.
    26.10.2012 - 22:34
    Vombatus
    Potorro
    Just one of the hundred of useless and empty rewards people are given.... I don't get why the band (even if they do things to deserve it) would badly want it....

And yeah, lots of people/institutions didn't "really deserve" it, but it happens all the time so nothing new, carry on. As for EU being soviet construction with marxist ideology... just lol.
    26.10.2012 - 22:36
    Ceinwyn
    I don't know about Orphaned Land, but after Obama and the EU, Israel is bound to get the next one...
    26.10.2012 - 22:40
    Ellrohir
    Heaven Knight
    Written by Vombatus on 26.10.2012 at 22:34

I don't get why the band (even if they do things to deserve it) would badly want it....

because it would be an awesome promo...plus if they really want to help in bringing peace into region, they would gain sponsors this way...may be considered hypocritical, but the world simply runs this way...
    ----

26.10.2012 - 22:41
    Josh Gottret
    Sounds GREAT!
    26.10.2012 - 22:50
    Vombatus
    Potorro
    Written by Ellrohir on 26.10.2012 at 22:40

I don't get why the band (even if they do things to deserve it) would badly want it....

because it would be an awesome promo...plus if they really want to help in bringing peace into region, they would gain sponsors this way...may be considered hypocritical, but the world simply runs this way...

Hmmmm indeed..... Though I think it would be more beneficial for the band itself than to really bring peace (problems over there won't be solved coz some dudes that promote peace got a prize saying so ), so it's kind of selfish (or maybe useless). It might also push some fanatic muslim/jew/christian to try to kill them... but who knows ! jk jk
    26.10.2012 - 22:56
    UnknownCheese

Just one of the hundred of useless and empty rewards people are given.... I don't get why the band (even if they do things to deserve it) would badly want it....

And yeah, lots of people/institutions didn't "really deserve" it, but it happens all the time so nothing new, carry on. As for EU being soviet construction with marxist ideology... just lol.

I'd say it's the million plus American dollars that comes with the prize.
    26.10.2012 - 23:46
    Oaken
    Hipster
    Written by Ellrohir on 26.10.2012 at 22:12

Finally someone worth of this prize

Yeah, I believe they can end the shit in here.
    ----
    In that case, man is only air as well.
    27.10.2012 - 00:38
    ManiacBlasphemer
    Black Knight

Examine the soviet construction and compare it with the EU construction. You will find some matching results:

USSR was governed by 15 unelected people | EU is governed by 27 unelected people (they name themselves in function and they do not respond to anyone)

EU has an elected parlament (which stands more as a puppet since the European Commission is the one that rules | USSR had a sort of parlament (Supreme Soviet was called)
    >> As an add, the way the parlaments are organized is similar, speaking time in the chamber is limited for every important party and limited for every member as well

In the EU there are tens of thousands or Eurocrats who receive big wages, bonuses, privileges, immunity for life and they cannot be criminally investigated. Same thing was in the USSR and pretty much any communist country with a heavy marxist ideology.

The Soviet Union was created by using coercion and military occupation. The UE was not created using military force, rather economical and political coercion (this is why, during the time when a country prepares to become a part of the organization, all euro-skeptic opinions are censored and shunned).

To continue to exist, the Soviet Union needed to expand. When it stopped expanding, corruption started to rise, and in the end it has fallen from within. Same thing will happen with EU, we already see the signs, the market and economy cannot support an artificial creation such as the EU.

The Soviet Union experimented a thing which the EU now calls "european integration". The difference is that they tried to creat a "soviet population" and they did all they could so that the people, be it russians, ukrainians, estonians, latvians, etc. should forget their nationality, their traditions and customs. Isn't this way too similar with what the EU is trying to do? The EU does not want you to be polish, swedish, danish, french, etc. they want you to be "european".

The Soviet Union has fallen because it tried to suppres and eliminate the national states that they dominated. Same thing happened inside the former Yugoslavia, and we had civil wars up to 1999, and the situation ain't pink nowadays either. It's exactly what the EU is trying to do now, a multinational state.

In the USSR, we had the gulag. In EU, we have political corectness. (concept taken from Marx's own book, The Manifesto of the Communist Party)

For more information, read the book EUSSR - the soviet roots of european integration written by Vladimir Bucovski, a former USSR prisoner (he spent 12 years in the soviet gulag and in "psychiatric hospitals) and one of the most notorious human rights militant in the 60s and 70s. He lives in UK since 1976 (after a trade of prisoners) and believe me, if there is someone that knows the USSR and the UK + EU system, then he really does.

Also, stuff like green parties or feminist parties/NGO's are also marxist breed. Check out the swedish law for the feminist thingy and the environment hate-taxes issued by the EU since 2007 until now for the green parties thingy (mostly influencted by Green Peace, an NGO responsible for a famine outbreak in Zambia a couple of years ago - how ironic though, they went there to preserve the environment and came back after commiting crimes against humanity, funny isn't it?)

The EU is nothing but a soviet model wrapped in a western package.
    27.10.2012 - 00:45
    Marcus
    Doit Like Bernie
    Lol what a selfish promo. Based on their logic maybe hummus should get the nobel prize because Israelis, Persians, and Arabs all eat it.
    27.10.2012 - 00:50
    Ellrohir
    Heaven Knight
    Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 27.10.2012 at 00:38

thumb up, man...but people are rather blind and tend to see only the good sides...

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
    - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    ----

27.10.2012 - 01:47
    ManiacBlasphemer
    Black Knight
    Written by Ellrohir on 27.10.2012 at 00:50

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 27.10.2012 at 00:38

thumb up, man...but people are rather blind and tend to see only the good sides...

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
    - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Nice saying Well, there are a lot of evidence to back up my analogy, since I have a bachelor in Security Studies and I am studying International Relations and European Studies. I know how the EU was created, I know the process of governing this soviet monster and how it really runs behind the curtains.

My license was based on this subject, and if I were to back up my reasons, and especially why I don't consider the EU democratic anymore, I'll come up with the Greek episode, when their former prime-minster had to leave under pressure because he wanted to organize a referendum to see if the Greek population wants to remain in the Euro zone, the Italian episode, when they changed the former government and installed an EU puppet government and the most precise one, their interference in Roumania's referendum to dismiss the president. Can these actions be considered democratic? What is the use of a state if like 75% of the laws that are implemented in the EU members are actually directives from the European Commission? Call me a fantaic, right-wing extremist, or whatever, but this is anything but democracy.
    27.10.2012 - 02:05
    zarahuztra
    W Jagland calling the shots, everything is possible...but in my opinion he is misusing his position...
    27.10.2012 - 06:31
    bloodface
    Relax with the history lessons. this is simply pompous. what a bunch of arrogant dicks. i wish them nothing but the worst. they should change their name to "u2 too".
    27.10.2012 - 10:23
    fanapathy
    Well as much as I like the band. WTF?
    If someone has to request to be nominated, something that should for obvious reasons be suggested by 3rd parties, they just aren't that relevant.

I do think the peace prize has become a joke in later years though.

GL to the band, Mabool is one of my favorite albums and I do like the message their music brings a lot
    27.10.2012 - 11:29
    Fritillaria
    Account deleted
    Ok OL has got such friendly members, their music is interesting kinda, they got good performance in live shows, they really have nice point of view making ppl friend through music, but please asking their fans to vote for them to get Noble Prize? Nah!

Hits total: 4394 | This month: 14