06. The Shadow Of Uther
07. A Sailorman's Hymn
08. Alexandria
09. The Inquisitor
10. Glory
11. Until Kingdom Come
12. Lunar Sanctum
13. Can You Remember [live] [Japanese bonus]

In my last review about Kamelot's Siege Perilous I talked about a negative side to the album. Which was basically the voice of Roy Khan and how his voice was very different in tone and pitch compare to the other Kamelot albums. But now I can give positive points to Roy Khan's voice in this album. The second album to feature him as the new lead singer is called The Fourth Legacy and may I say this album is just amazing.

The Fourth Legacy starts out with a very interesting instrumental called "New Allegiance" in which now you get drawn into a setting into the album. The setting can be described as a hot arid environment and can be seen as an Egyptian/Arabian setting. A quest in the songs, an exploration of one's self to an exploration of battles like you've seen in "Siege Perilous" as well as this albums cover. But that's just the melody of the songs; the voice and performance is the key into the greatness of the album. Unlike Siege Perilous this album is more power and progressive. The element continue throughout the Kamelot generation.

Songs like "The Fourth Legacy", "Nights of Arabia", The Shadow Utter" and "Until Kingdom Come" introduce the power and effort that Roy Khan can perform. But wait, another key to point out is the lyrics in the album; also we have a new main songwriter in the band. Guess who? Yes it's Roy Khan the new main songwriter next to guitarist Thomas Youngblood. This is another introduction to Kamelot bringing melodic and power elements. "A Sailorman's Hymn" is a ballad and this is maybe one of the best songs on the album pointing out that this is a ballad. Usually a ballad is the more boring area of the album and this is the other way in "A Sailorman's Hymn".

To be honest this album is a classic for many generations in metal and I really could have just said to listen to this album and you will enjoy it all. But come on its true, this album will make you a Kamelot fan. Buy this album I can say it's a great investment.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Epictemptation | 27.10.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Mountain King
Rating:
Kamelot was never my favorite band and the type of music they played wasn't the fast and heavy power metal that I prefer, that's the impression I got when I heard their most famous releases The Black Halo & Epica. Of course no one can ignore the vocal abilities of mister Roy Khan who happens to be one of the best metal singers nowadays, but you never know Kamelot are a power metal band unless you listen to The Fourth Legacy.

Read more ››
published 14.01.2012 | Comments (12)

Comments

Comments: 4   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 66 users
29.10.2012 - 01:12
Epictemptation

Written by Irritable Ted on 28.10.2012 at 19:41

I think you are missing one major part of the puzzle. Sasha Paeth and everything he brings. The better and far more complex production, Miro his keyboard player and all of Sasha's backing vocalists that seem to follow him from one project to the next. I think it was this that set them on to their signature sound for albums to follow.

That's a pretty interesting opinion man I like it and it may be true:)
----
29.10.2012 - 15:48
Epictemptation

Written by Irritable Ted on 29.10.2012 at 10:00

Written by Epictemptation on 29.10.2012 at 01:12

That's a pretty interesting opinion man I like it and it may be true:)

If you check out his profile on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sascha_Paeth you can see a pattern. The bands he has worked with have a similar sound now, with real depth and complexity to their sound. He tends to use the same backing singers and often Miro to play keyboards. If you listen to the difference in orchestration between Siege Perilous and Forth Legacy you can hear his influence. So much more of a wall of sound than when David Pavlicko played keyboards.

Cool:)
----
29.10.2012 - 16:16
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Irritable Ted on 29.10.2012 at 10:00

If you check out his profile on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sascha_Paeth you can see a pattern. The bands he has worked with have a similar sound now, with real depth and complexity to their sound. He tends to use the same backing singers and often Miro to play keyboards. If you listen to the difference in orchestration between Siege Perilous and Forth Legacy you can hear his influence. So much more of a wall of sound than when David Pavlicko played keyboards.

Woah this guy has had a hand in tons of great albums!

And I agree with this review, most especially with it bringing more power and progressive elements to the table, they were clearly expanding their sound considerably at this point.
"A Sailorman's Hymn" is indeed a great track. Good job
03.11.2012 - 03:08
Epictemptation

Quote:
Woah this guy has had a hand in tons of great albums!

And I agree with this review, most especially with it bringing more power and progressive elements to the table, they were clearly expanding their sound considerably at this point.
"A Sailorman's Hymn" is indeed a great track. Good job

Thanks man all your opinions count when I read them
----

Hits total: 3647 | This month: 5