Metal Storm logo
Funeral doom

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 19.05.2006 - 08:49
One of the most underground style's of metal, with very talented bands. I have been listening to a lot of funeral doom lately, and I really like it. The slowness and the atmosphere is just amazing. My fav bands from this genre would be Shape Of Despair, Nortt, Worship, Remembrence, Pantheist, Tyranny, Skepticism, just to mention the daily bands. What about you guys?
09.08.2010 - 12:16
http://www.doom-metal.com/bandlist.php?g=7

but there's loads of slow death/doom in there... still, a good starting point...
10.08.2010 - 19:37
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.08.2010 at 18:33

@daniell you can't call them just doom cause that would also iclude Isole Candlemass Processio St Vitus My Whining Bride and such. can't call it extreme doom either cause death doom bands such as cry babies extra-ordinaire, and Officium Triste are death doom but not extreme at all. There is of course a huge difference between all the sorts of doom subgenres. Imo moreso than within any other metal subgenre.

You are right of course - it's impossible to put all doom bands in one basket and call their music the same. But on the other hand, it's impossible to give every band a label and definitely pigeonhole them.

@Merchant of Doom
You seem to be very picky about which bands to call funeral doom. So how about Worship, Moss and Funeralium? (once you answer this, I'll throw another 3 names at you )
10.08.2010 - 19:47
ß
Problem?
The only one that isn't Funeral Doom out of the 3 would be moss. They're closer to Drone/Sludge. Now we'll have to wait and see what Merchant of Doom thinks
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
10.08.2010 - 19:48
InnerSelf
proofread free
I am actually a bit with Merchant of Doom about this topic as I think that the only 100% Funeral Doom band is Skepticism and the rest fall under the Extreme Doom category
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
10.08.2010 - 19:52
ß
Problem?
Written by InnerSelf on 10.08.2010 at 19:48

I am actually a bit with Merchant of Doom about this topic as I think that the only 100% Funeral Doom band is Skepticism and the rest fall under the Extreme Doom category

So you don't consider bands like Esoteric,Longing for Dawn,Mournful Congregation or Thergothon to be Funeral Doom, but you consider Skepticism to be a Funeral Doom band. Please elaborate.
----
10.08.2010 - 19:56
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by InnerSelf on 10.08.2010 at 19:48

I assume it's because of the keyboards that sound like cathedral organs?
Seriously, you can't make up a genre name and insist on only one band playing that genre. It's dangerously elitist and highbrow.
10.08.2010 - 20:10
Got Mayhem?
Only one Funeral Doom band? What the...ok, just to shatter that perception here is another one

And there's no way you can ever convince me that Thergothon are just 'extreme' doom.
----
10.08.2010 - 23:27
InnerSelf
proofread free
I said 100% and I don't consider Esoteric to be Funeral Doom it is just so generic to say that .... and my post did not actually meant that there is no funeral doom band but Skepticism I meant that they are the most accurate definition of the genre and surely great bands like Thergothon fall under the FD category
----
is not bold enough
10.08.2010 - 23:30
Got Mayhem?
Ha alright, sorry about that misunderstanding then. I guess it was the wording that messed us all up.
----
10.08.2010 - 23:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by InnerSelf on 10.08.2010 at 23:27

I said 100% and I don't consider Esoteric to be Funeral Doom it is just so generic to say that .... and my post did not actually meant that there is no funeral doom band but Skepticism I meant that they are the most accurate definition of the genre and surely great bands like Thergothon fall under the FD category

Profetus are just as accurate definition of the genre as Skepticism.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.08.2010 - 23:37
InnerSelf
proofread free
I did not have the chance to listen to Profetus yet but also Mournful Congregation and Tyranny are as important as the bands mentioned

@Got Mayhem? : No problem always wanted to have this conversation
----
is not bold enough
11.08.2010 - 14:05
Written by Daniell on 10.08.2010 at 19:37

@Merchant of Doom
You seem to be very picky about which bands to call funeral doom. So how about Worship, Moss and Funeralium? (once you answer this, I'll throw another 3 names at you )

Moss definitely not! And I don't like them... Funeralium are (as they call themselves) "raw extreme doom with bleak atmospheres, torturous vokills and lots of old school metal elements". I like the music, but the vocals are not funeral and neither is the music... Worship are very marginal...

edit: I re-listened to Dooom (after 3 years!) and Worship are definitely funeral... good or bad, this is a different question...
11.08.2010 - 14:17
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Seriously, can you describe exactly what you mean when you use the term "funeral doom"?
Or direct me someplace where it's defined and acknowledged?
11.08.2010 - 15:38
Written by Daniell on 11.08.2010 at 14:17

Seriously, can you describe exactly what you mean when you use the term "funeral doom"?

I'll give you a few bands... listen to them and you'll know what it is...

Skepticism, early Pantheist, Worship, EA, Comatose Vigil, Profetus, Dictator, UDOM. Krief De Soli, Hierophant, Mistress Of The Dead, Monolithe, Nortt, Woebegone Obscure, Thergothon, Tyranny...
11.08.2010 - 19:24
FOOCK Nam

Slow guitar/drum tune and by it they make beautiful melody/feeling/touch, some minority FD bands having Cold atomosphere. Try them you wont be dissappointed. I hardly cant say which is most greatest Funeral Doom album I consider, but the first formal studio ablum of Worship is worthy having, the song All I Ever Knew Lie Dead...
24.08.2010 - 23:01
NihilHecatomb
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xX0hwG1Qsus?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xX0hwG1Qsus?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If you enjoy funeral doom or black metal you'll probably like this
----
"Once your gone, you can't go back.When your out of the blue and into the black."
24.08.2010 - 23:01
NihilHecatomb
I guess you can't post youtube videos on here, that is pretty shitty.
----
"Once your gone, you can't go back.When your out of the blue and into the black."
24.08.2010 - 23:03
NihilHecatomb
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T-hF1BNDzFs?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T-hF1BNDzFs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
----
24.08.2010 - 23:03
NihilHecatomb
Gay
----
24.08.2010 - 23:06
ß
Problem?
Written by NihilHecatomb on 24.08.2010 at 23:01

I guess you can't post youtube videos on here, that is pretty shitty.

You can. Just use UBB codes provided for you, below the shoutbox.
----
25.08.2010 - 00:32
NihilHecatomb
[youtube]YouTube video ID, ex: xHDccArUA54[/youtube<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xX0hwG1Qsus?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xX0hwG1Qsus?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
----
25.08.2010 - 00:33
NihilHecatomb
Ok for fuck sake what the fuck do I do. Only on this forum have I run into this problem. HOW THE FUCK DO I POST VIDEOS ON THIS PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!
----
25.08.2010 - 00:58
^ I haven't tried embedding a video on this forum yet, but I've got a feeling you can only embed one video per post.
25.08.2010 - 01:16
NihilHecatomb
Written by RobotPolarBear on 25.08.2010 at 00:58

^ I haven't tried embedding a video on this forum yet, but I've got a feeling you can only embed one video per post.

Yah someone else said try that ubb code thing on the bottom but I tried everything I could think off and I don't know shit. So someone fill my ignorant mind with knowledge.
----
25.08.2010 - 01:20
NihilHecatomb
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0hwG1Qsus

GOD DAMN IT! Well hear is a link. This is some blackened funeral doom that you will like if you like that darker shit like diSEMBOWELMENT or Nortt.
----
25.08.2010 - 01:21
NihilHecatomb
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0hwG1Qsus
----
25.08.2010 - 01:35
Let me see if I can embed it...

EDIT: Success!
25.08.2010 - 06:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by NihilHecatomb on 25.08.2010 at 01:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0hwG1Qsus

GOD DAMN IT! Well hear is a link. This is some blackened funeral doom that you will like if you like that darker shit like diSEMBOWELMENT or Nortt.

For future reference, just use the UBB code for Youtube videos, and between the Youtube brackets add the letters following the "=" in the link.

Example, your link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0hwG1Qsus
What you type between the UBB Youtube brackets: xX0hwG1Qsus
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.08.2010 - 09:25
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 11.08.2010 at 15:38

I'll give you a few bands... listen to them and you'll know what it is...

Skepticism, early Pantheist, Worship, EA, Comatose Vigil, Profetus, Dictator, UDOM. Krief De Soli, Hierophant, Mistress Of The Dead, Monolithe, Nortt, Woebegone Obscure, Thergothon, Tyranny...

I don't need to know what funeral doom is, because I know most of the bands you mention and many many more...
I was asking about the definition, because it really pisses me off when people claim something and give fuck all to prove their point, which, sadly, you did with the "funeral doom" definition.

And, since I stand by my opinion that this sub-genre is hard to define and no one has a good idea about what bands to assign to it, let me relate to some bands you mentioned (except the ones I haven't heard (Dictator, Krief De Soli, Woebegoene ObscureD).

Early Pantheist - how early? Do you mean some demos? I'm asking because if you think "O Solitude" is funeral doom, you must also add Shape of Despair and Colosseum to your mini list. They all play doom that is richly embellished by keyboards. Also, Pantheist hasn't changed that much over the years.

Ea - again, if you mention this, you must add Shape of Despair and Colosseum, because Ea is kind of similar to those 2.

Nortt - if Nortt is here, you need to add Black Bile, because they play similar music.

How about Wormphlegm, Senthil, Funeralium, Mournful Congregation? Etc. etc. etc...

I will repeat what I said before in this thread: Arguing what is or what isn't funeral doom is pointless, because the genre is too new and still quite undefined, as proven by everyone having a different opinion.
25.08.2010 - 18:06
Written by Daniell on 25.08.2010 at 09:25

I will repeat what I said before in this thread: Arguing what is or what isn't funeral doom is pointless, because the genre is too new and still quite undefined, as proven by everyone having a different opinion.

I'm not interested in arguing either... yes, you can add the bands you quoted too, if you think they fit the category. To me Funeral Doom is just slowed down death/doom, to a funeral pace...