Metal Storm logo
Funeral doom

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 19.05.2006 - 08:49
One of the most underground style's of metal, with very talented bands. I have been listening to a lot of funeral doom lately, and I really like it. The slowness and the atmosphere is just amazing. My fav bands from this genre would be Shape Of Despair, Nortt, Worship, Remembrence, Pantheist, Tyranny, Skepticism, just to mention the daily bands. What about you guys?
28.10.2012 - 03:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
*yaaaaaawn*
28.10.2012 - 03:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Yeah, I thought "Despond" was pretty awesome.

*what the fuck? i posted this AFTER marcel's post below... yet it appears before.*
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.10.2012 - 03:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.10.2012 at 03:07

http://loss.bandcamp.com/releases

Hot-diggity-dog this is some good doom.

totally agreed. Don't listen to JOOE who rated their last year's full length with a 6
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.10.2012 - 06:08
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Yeup, think I'm going to have to buy that come payday.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.10.2012 - 10:07
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Marcel posted a link to this song on Facebook the other day. The track comes from a demo, and sounds very promising. Let's hope a full-length album will follow shortly.

03.11.2012 - 19:24
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.11.2012 - 01:18
IronAngel
I'm too lazy to go through 15 pages, but I was hoping to fill the gaps in my funeral doom experience. I'm sure there are dozens of bands I've never heard of, but I want to make sure I've got all the central names covered.

Thergothon
Skepticism
Esoteric
Evoken
Colosseum
Profetus
Ahab
Arcana Coelestia
Shape of Despair
Pantheist
Worship
Mournful Congregation
Ea
Monolithe
Ordog
Nortt (insofar as it counts)
Loss
Fungoid Stream

These are the funeral doom bands that come to mind. Some of them are great, others a little generic. Am I missing something essential? If you were to recommend me three new bands to check out, what would they be?
05.11.2012 - 17:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Asunder, Catacombs and Wormphlegm. I very rarely listen to funeral doom these days for the simple fact it's an exceptionally generic genre but I'm still a big fan of those three bands.
05.11.2012 - 17:14
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 05.11.2012 at 17:06

Asunder, Catacombs and Wormphlegm. I very rarely listen to funeral doom these days for the simple fact it's an exceptionally generic genre but I'm still a big fan of those three bands.

Wormphlegm and Asunder are definitely great. I got Works Will Come Undone on vinyl about 2 months ago.
I haven't checked out Catacombs but I guess I should
05.11.2012 - 17:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 05.11.2012 at 17:14

Wormphlegm and Asunder are definitely great. I got Works Will Come Undone on vinyl about 2 months ago.

Catacombs were arguably somewhat generic, but they had a good, dark sound which seems to be less common compared to the more ffluffy, emotional funeral doom that tends to float around.
05.11.2012 - 17:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 05.11.2012 at 17:06
Catacombs

The debut while generic is ridiculously solid. Great album.

Also... For someone who likes Arcana Coelestia: Don't forget their related band called Urna
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.11.2012 - 17:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.11.2012 at 17:20

The debut while generic is ridiculously solid. Great album.

Also... For someone who likes Arcana Coelestia: Don't forget their related band called Urna

Urna are also indeed very good 8]
05.11.2012 - 21:51
Apatheria
Written by IronAngel on 05.11.2012 at 01:18

I'm too lazy to go through 15 pages, but I was hoping to fill the gaps in my funeral doom experience. I'm sure there are dozens of bands I've never heard of, but I want to make sure I've got all the central names covered.

Thergothon
Skepticism
Esoteric
Evoken
Colosseum
Profetus
Ahab
Arcana Coelestia
Shape of Despair
Pantheist
Worship
Mournful Congregation
Ea
Monolithe
Ordog
Nortt (insofar as it counts)
Loss
Fungoid Stream

These are the funeral doom bands that come to mind. Some of them are great, others a little generic. Am I missing something essential? If you were to recommend me three new bands to check out, what would they be?

The Austrasian Goat is my highest recommendation. It's pretty fantastic funeral doom with black metal influences, but nobody has heard of this band somehow. The more recent material leans further towards black metal, but the first full-length is firmly rooted in funeral doom. Comatose Vigil's '05 release "Not a Gleam of Hope" is pretty great if you're into more synth-driven funeral doom. And I'll echo the earlier mention of Wormphlegm. The "Tomb of the Ancient King" album is sick in all the best ways.

I'll cheat and go up to four: try Tyranny (the Finnish Tyranny) as well. They're as heavy and suffocating as it gets, and as a bonus, Tyranny features members of Wormphlegm.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
01.03.2013 - 17:54
Gobbin
One funeral doom band I like is Profetus, some really slow and gloomy music.
13.03.2013 - 06:46
nasmith
Written by Guest on 05.11.2012 at 17:18

Written by Alex F on 05.11.2012 at 17:14

Catacombs were arguably somewhat generic, but they had a good, dark sound which seems to be less common compared to the more ffluffy, emotional funeral doom that tends to float around.

I agree that some bands just sound sad. That does get kinda bland when you're looking for dark, evil stuff.

Here are some songs that are definitely darker toned (although it make take listening for a minute or two for it to get there).

Evoken - "Antithesis of Light,"
Ahab - "Old Thunder," "The Hunt," and most of The Call of the Wretched Sea album
Skepticism - "The Organium" (I realize that in general they're more of a sad funeral doom band.)

To name just a few. They may not be as fucked up as Wormphlegm but still dark in comparison to many bands.
21.01.2015 - 23:35
ylside
Staff
Having looked through this topic I see that I never mentioned Necro Schizma, and as I was talking about them with someone on the shoutbox - I thought I should at least mention them once here.
Necro Schizma delivered what could be considered as a very early attempt at extreme doom (1989),... yes it is repetitive, even monotonous at times but remains enjoyable for whoever is interested, and digs archaeology... but I can understand that it can even get on the nerves - I am not sure if this is to be considered "a lost classic", or just well.. an early attempt.

I wanted to link here the second, more representative track, "Erupted Evil", but it seems to have been deleted from youtube since... anyway, a reissue of the demo was released in 2010.
07.08.2015 - 14:02
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Since Torrens Conscientium is funeral doom, The Slow Death is (atmospheric) death doom and Tempestuous Falls is both, can someone tell me the difference between atmospheric death doom and funeral doom?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
07.08.2015 - 15:15
toxx
Supreme being
This is one of my favorites: It might have been posted here before, but you know, 15 pages and all

11.08.2015 - 19:43
Sang Dalang Abu
Elysian Blaze is more good. Stop listen to Ahab.

12.08.2015 - 14:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Elysian Blaze is totally different to Ahab, so kind of weird to say that has to stop listening to Ahab and start listening to Elysian Blaze. Nothing in common those two except that both are funeral. So listen to both.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.08.2015 - 17:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Just not at the same time.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.08.2015 - 17:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 12.08.2015 at 17:46

Just not at the same time.

Just now played them both at the same time and the outcome was fun.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.08.2015 - 19:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree whit M and C , totally diferent bands Ahab are more extreme, more ''growling'' Elsyan Blaze is more like keyboards, and smore less softer sound, more ''away'' from metal if we can say so
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.10.2015 - 19:14
Sang Dalang Abu
Because people always give better place for Ahab. Doesn't mean to stop listen them.

You can stop it for a while. And think again the more keyboards not mean more 'away' from metal.

Between black metal and funeral doom? Elysian deserve better place too.
01.10.2015 - 19:18
Sang Dalang Abu
More like Elysian, and more 'keyboards' element. And more 'away' from metal.

01.10.2015 - 21:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 01.10.2015 at 19:18

More like Elysian, and more 'keyboards' element. And more 'away' from metal.

love that album. and, fwiw, it is what i was obliquely referencing in Apo's review of Skepticism's latest.
----

22.01.2016 - 13:16
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Semi-dead thread despite SoDs and Bell Witchs excellent releases last year, Ahab and Tyranny also made decent albums. Looking forward to some anti-generic funeral 2016, found any?
23.01.2016 - 15:43
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Guest on 22.01.2016 at 13:16

Semi-dead thread despite SoDs and Bell Witchs excellent releases last year, Ahab and Tyranny also made decent albums. Looking forward to some anti-generic funeral 2016, found any?

We can pray for Esoteric making a pact with Satan to release a new album this year.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
26.01.2016 - 12:49
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Maco on 23.01.2016 at 15:43

Written by Guest on 22.01.2016 at 13:16

We can pray for Esoteric making a pact with Satan to release a new album this year.

That sounds like a true spawn of Satan. And they are actually working on a new album
26.01.2016 - 21:19
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Guest on 26.01.2016 at 12:49

That sounds like a true spawn of Satan. And they are actually working on a new album

According to their facebook they have been workin on that since 2014. If everything goes well it might be released this year.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.