02. The Rise Of Darkness
03. Hordes To War
04. Norden On Fire
05. Arctic Swarm
06. Mount North
07. Unearthly Kingdom

The Best Black Metal Album Of 2009

Additional info
Produced by Peter Tägtgren and Immortal.
Intro to Unearthly Kingdom by Are Mundal.

September 25th: Europe
October 6th: North America

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Immortal have risen from the white ashes to reclaim their throne as kings of black metal. Not many bands have been as important to a genre of music than Immortal have been to black metal over the years. Now the band are back with their first album in seven years, All Shall Fall.

The album carries on exactly where Sons Of Northern Darkness finished. Stylistically All Shall Fall is extremely similar, the guitars are very melodic and as a whole the album stays at the same familiar pressing pace without going overboard. The frostbitten trio show no signs of cobwebs, but there is also no apparent attempt to create something truly spectacular. All Shall Fall, although a brilliant come-back album, is a bit too steady and safe to be hailed as one of the band's greatest works.

Read more ››
published 27.09.2009 | Comments (106)

Found in 25 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 729 users
05.11.2012 - 22:46
JÄY
Metal slave
Lost some of the awesome thrashiness that made Immortal so good and replaced it with generic melodic black
27.11.2013 - 02:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Not bad at all, onky what is different is album artwork, otherwise its Immortal(maybe litle bit thrashy sound)
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.10.2015 - 17:10
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Average... they have done better int he past..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
21.06.2016 - 14:23
Rating: 5
Dean0495

Not as good as their other albums.
11.04.2018 - 17:49
musicalkaratekid

Preferred this by a margin to Sons of Northern Darkness. I say by a margin because there's not a whole lot in it, maybe that to me the predecessor is slightly bottom-heavy whereas All Shall Fall is more consistent in its track placements. The title track and very Bathory-esque "Hordes to War" for example are explosive, energetic and definitely display the band's thrashier side. On the flipside, closer "Unearthly Kingdom" is more melodic, bit of a slow-burner but has brilliant riff work throughout. Wonder if we'll ever get another Immortal album. If not, All Shall Fall will be one hell of a way to bow out.
07.06.2019 - 15:52
The Entity

Very underrated album IMO, it gets lot of shit but I love the variety and atmosphere it displays. Even after 10 years it feels "fresh"
----
https://enigmaticalofficial.bandcamp.com/
Industrial / Cosmic Black Metal
08.06.2019 - 19:58
Rating: 7
Metren
Dreadrealm
Not sure about "underrated", this is Immortal after all. But yeah, this is a good album. I used to consider it something of an autopilot work, but that opinion has changed into one much more appreciative over the years.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
08.12.2019 - 16:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Metren on 08.06.2019 at 19:58

Not sure about "underrated", this is Immortal after all. But yeah, this is a good album. I used to consider it something of an autopilot work, but that opinion has changed into one much more appreciative over the years.

I re listen it I didnt like when it wa sout, now its decent peace, its Immortal and their trademark, maybe not hit songs to remember (yes Immortal has those) but decent album whit own Immortal sound.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.02.2021 - 13:30
Rating: 9
Spacerunner

I gave a careful re-listen to the albums from 1999 onward and while "At the Heart of Winter" is unbeaten, this one is my second favorite. It has all the goods from the 1999-2002 trio with a cool "Between Two Worlds" admix. Songs are memorable and catchy, with lots of highlights. If they did just another "Sons" it would be the same moans "What were you doing for the past 7 years, it's all the same, the band is stuck" and so on. This is a bit different and aged very well. Much pleasure!
09.05.2021 - 03:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Spacerunner on 27.02.2021 at 13:30

I gave a careful re-listen to the albums from 1999 onward and while "At the Heart of Winter" is unbeaten, this one is my second favorite. It has all the goods from the 1999-2002 trio with a cool "Between Two Worlds" admix. Songs are memorable and catchy, with lots of highlights. If they did just another "Sons" it would be the same moans "What were you doing for the past 7 years, it's all the same, the band is stuck" and so on. This is a bit different and aged very well. Much pleasure!

Agreed. It sits behind Heart of Winter and Sons for me but aside from Pure Holocaust, I can't say I enjoy any other Immortal album as much as this one. It has its filler elements and runs a little on the safe side in terms of favoring melody over aggression, but at the same time it also features some of their most intricate instrumental work and dynamic songwriting -- just not quite on par with their earlier classics.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.01.2024 - 01:11
Zyk

As others have said, I've grown to like this album more over the years, especially when I compare it to most of what came afterwards from these guys. It's not a great album and some of the songs are kind of bland but others are really good. The immortal spirit was still pretty strong here. This might be their "best" (meaning well balanced and clean) sound production for an album which really helps accentuate the huge epic feeling of Unearthly Kingdom.

Hits total: 20454 | This month: 47