06. Maritime
07. Weight
08. From Sinking
09. Hym

Top 20 albums of 2002: 9

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
I don't know how to react after hearing Oceanic. I feel relaxed and even doped as this album is really a huge and weird trip to another rare world. A band that mixes noisecore with ambient passages and is just marvelous (or weird, it depends on your ears), so let me tell you more about this CD.

The first track "The Beginning And The End" starts very strong, as the drums enter with a catchy beat and then after some melodic arrangements Turner presents incredible violent vocalizations giving the song that extra twitch we all love. The song is 8 minutes long and only a few of those minutes have vocals. The other parts of this track are just aggressive riffs, breakdowns, incredible bridges (check the one in the fifth minute) and a lot of atmospheric sequences.

Read more ››
published 18.08.2005 | Comments (7)

Guest review by
Candlemass
Rating:
A great dive into deep sound, just a majestic atmosphere warping you tighter as you further deepen the dive into this amazing release.
Isis create a Sludge Metal experience none have preformed so purely before, the only ones that could be credited with such ambiance in there metallic sluggish approach to music are Neurosis.

Read more ››
published 10.07.2008 | Comments (1)

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 738 users
11.10.2013 - 14:51
Rating: 10
_deepblack

Great concept for the album the tracks Weight and From sinking are amazing
16.01.2017 - 17:02
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Listened to this today, didn't find anything remarkable or standout in the first listen. It is obviously less metal and less heavy than the last album though. My complains would be that the snare sounds too odd, heavy and isolated at various stages through the album and kinda sterile too.
17.05.2021 - 16:20
Rating: 9
nonZero

A fantastic album that draws the listener in and takes them on an unforgettable journey.

For me, 'Carry' is the stand-out track while 'The Beginning And The End' and 'Weight' are almost as good. The album is best listened to in one sitting however - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

9.1/10 IMO
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
13.05.2022 - 21:00
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
First time listening to Isis and first time listening to "post-metal" in fact. I'm intrigued!
The vocals aren't that great, but I love the atmospheric musicianship!
I guess I will be exploring more of this "post-metal" now...
13.05.2022 - 21:24
Rating: 10
musclassia

Written by F3ynman2000 on 13.05.2022 at 21:00

If you need a helping hand with this, I am the guy to call particularly with teamster currently inactive
13.05.2022 - 22:35
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by musclassia on 13.05.2022 at 21:24

If you need a helping hand with this, I am the guy to call particularly with teamster currently inactive

Thanks!
I'm reading right now what you wrote in this article while listening to Panopticon.
Seems like I started at the perfect spot!
So far I agree with what you said: "If Oceanic established the template for post-metal, Panopticon perfected it."

Will be listening to these albums more often. And based on what I could find so far in the album and band index here, I'd say I'll continue to Cult Of Luna, Neurosis and Down.
See you on the other side!
14.09.2022 - 16:03
nonZero

Written by F3ynman2000 on 13.05.2022 at 22:35

Written by musclassia on 13.05.2022 at 21:24

Thanks!
I'm reading right now what you wrote in this article while listening to Panopticon.
Seems like I started at the perfect spot!
So far I agree with what you said: "If Oceanic established the template for post-metal, Panopticon perfected it."

Will be listening to these albums more often. And based on what I could find so far in the album and band index here, I'd say I'll continue to Cult Of Luna, Neurosis and Down.
See you on the other side!

The Ocean are also fantastic, although Isis will always be my personal favourite, especially this album.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)

Hits total: 17548 | This month: 39