02. Lámh Dearg
03. Twin Fires Of Beltíne
04. Of Fear And Fury
05. Grave Of Giants
06. A Path Well Trodden
07. Quest For Immortality
08. Erdath
09. Kindred Spirits

I heard a single from Kindred Spirits before hearing the entire album and was very excited. New extreme folk metal that sounded promising! Turns out that by hearing that song I'd actually heard the entire album, which is 53 minutes of the same (great) song.

Waylander's fourth album could instead be referred to as embracing a style and doing it well. Sure, one doesn't need tons of variety to make a good album. But there's a fine line between that and nearing monotony. Overall Kindred Spirits is an upbeat, driving folk tune, harsh vocals, and a flute/whistle. Rinse, repeat. I think there was a short ballad or two thrown in there somewhere that slowed things down for a moment but honestly, who can be sure?

It's Celtic-based folk metal instead of Viking-based and that can be a nice change. They do use some traditional instruments to full effect, aside from the ever-present whistle, and they do create a wonderful and specific atmosphere. The energy is high and that cannot be denied. Given the chance I would run to see Waylander live as I presume these guys perform as superbly live as they do on the album, with the huge bonus of it being a lively crowd, headbanging while dancing arm in arm with each other. Some music just isn't as magical on recording, though, and a bit of variety may have solved that.

This really is appealing music, and well performed with a few sweet riffs thrown in there. I could see some listeners being mesmerized enough to stick out the entire album but for anyone more familiar with what this genre can be, after any one or two Waylander tunes you'll have had enough and be ready to listen to something else.

Written on 10.11.2012 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 136 users
10.11.2012 - 21:54
ImperialTroll
Account deleted
Most Celtic Folk Metal bands tend to use lots and lots of tin whistles and bagpaipes (Such as Aes Dana and Bran Barr), Which is a double edged dagger really, it's the kind of metal you'd either completely love or completely hate, but in my case I fucking love it and can't get enough of these awesome flute-driven albums, including this one.
10.11.2012 - 22:01
Fredd
Account deleted
'Bout time this got reviewed. Good album, reminded me of Primordial at some parts.
10.11.2012 - 22:13
Rage in a bottle

" I could see some listeners being mesmerized enough to stick out the entire album but for anyone more familiar with what this genre can be, after any one or two Waylander tunes you'll have had enough and be ready to listen to something else." I can understand that. But do you have anything to recommend instead?
10.11.2012 - 22:32
TrollandDie

You're right about them being just as good live.

Saw them a few weeks ago in Dublin. Were incredible.

However, I do think in terms of Irish folk-metal the newest Cruachan would give anyone a run for their money.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
11.11.2012 - 04:22
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Tin whistles are awesome.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.11.2012 - 13:04
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Next album on my playlist is to check it out.
19.09.2019 - 13:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Susan - I agree about viking, its good genre if comes from Scandinavia, why Germans can put good pagan metal out what is not viking? Votans wilde jacht ehhh. Ireland well if theyd ecide play viking metal, they have a history, but bands from Argentina and Mexico? No way, it dont work, then better play inkas and gauchos folk metal whit BM touch. Nice reviev
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 4762 | This month: 9