Metal Storm logo
Elitism or Close-Mindedness

11.11.2012 - 16:27
whatsacow
I've come to a conclusion. All these metalheads banging on about how they only listen to one style of metal, or just metal in general are idiots. I know this is not going to be a popular opinion on this site, but I feel like it needs to be said. I love metal, I adore it, and it is my favourite genre. However, there are plenty of other genres out there that warrant our attention. Just because something is not metal doesn't mean it's evil. Even within the metal circle, certain genres are just plain hated, no matter how talented they are. I don't know how many times I've heard a really original and talented band get completely trashed by metalheads just because it has origins in metalcore or nu metal. Closing off an entire sub-genre just because you don't perceive it as metal is close-minded, stupid, and in the end, it is you who are missing out.

Anyway, those are my opinions. What are yours? Do you agree with me or disagree? I know this thread will cause arguments but please try and keep it civil, and remember that both viewpoints are welcomed.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
11.11.2012 - 17:10
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Agree 100%.

Hell even a lot of deathcore si good, but people never give it a chance. Sad really.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.11.2012 - 17:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by whatsacow on 11.11.2012 at 16:27
All these metalheads banging on about how they only listen to one style of metal, or just metal in general are idiots.

Please be more specific... Because it's totally possible that someone only likes one kind of music. If he/she admits that without sounding like a dick and/or showing contempt towards others tastes then what is the problem? If you have a problem with those people they you sir are the real elitist and the so called "idiot".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.11.2012 - 17:47
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.11.2012 at 17:36

All these metalheads banging on about how they only listen to one style of metal, or just metal in general are idiots.

Please be more specific... Because it's totally possible that someone only likes one kind of music. If he/she admits that without sounding like a dick and/or showing contempt towards others tastes then what is the problem? If you have a problem with those people they you sir are the real elitist and the so called "idiot".

I think this is more directed at the people who won't even try other things. The people who say "Thrash or die" kinda deal.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.11.2012 - 17:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 11.11.2012 at 17:47

I think this is more directed at the people who won't even try other things. The people who say "Thrash or die" kinda deal.

Hence "please be more specific". He did say "or just metal in general". I'm just requesting a more specific rant.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.11.2012 - 17:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.11.2012 at 17:51

Hence "please be more specific". He did say "or just metal in general". I'm just requesting a more specific rant.

Well he did say those metalheads "banging on" about it. Which probably means my first comment
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.11.2012 - 17:59
IronAngel
Whatever.
11.11.2012 - 18:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by IronAngel on 11.11.2012 at 17:59
Whatever.

Probably the best way to put it. I'll try to follow your example from now on. Thanks!
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.11.2012 - 18:37
whatsacow
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.11.2012 at 17:51

If someone admits to only liking one style of music, that's fine. Everyones tastes are valid in my opinion. It's those who can't even accept that others may like different types of music. The whole "Ugh, this type of music is so bad that anyone who has ever been associated with it should be disembowled with a shovel" mentality is what I'm talking about. Not liking something is fair enough, but not even accepting it's existence is kind of stupid.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
11.11.2012 - 19:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Say it to Mayhem wosrhipers

I agree , I love metal, all genres of I dislike prog , core, nu and other modern crap but same time I like accustic, bues, folk, neo folk, jazz, some pop songs some hip hop songs like evrlast white thras beuatiful
My music taste is weird and I dont care ppl talk weird thinks even her ein MS about me, judge dme inm some smirzht metal forum, probobly many wanna see me leaving but I sont care I dont care about critics,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.11.2012 - 20:38
whatsacow
Written by Irritable Ted on 11.11.2012 at 19:52

I only listen to metal. Probably quite a narrow band of metal as well. I know what I like, no point listening to stuff I don't like. Nothing against other stuff, just not bothered about it. Will listen out of curiosity if something new comes along though.

If people choose to listen to radio mainstream pop only, Justin Beaver and Lady GoGo thats up to them. Just don't treat me like a leper if I don't give a shit. Nothing against the OP, just society in general.

As I said before, there's nothing wrong with tastes. I'm talking more about the type of people who hate the genre so much that they think little of anyone who likes the genre. You know the type who always go on about how there's only one type of metal. Those people annoy the hell out of me.
----
11.11.2012 - 20:47
Void Eater
Account deleted

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion on this site, but I feel like it needs to be said.

Pretty much everybody on this website complains about "Close Minded Elitists". The OP is pretty much the least controversial thing you could possibly post on MS.
11.11.2012 - 21:12
Dinruth
I agree with you .. calling other styles shit and not even giving them chance is not very open minded ... but I think you can expand the notion of "elitism" to people who are like "I don't listen to that band anymore because they've become too popular .. I only listen to underground bands and they are so much more talented" -... duuuh ... I mean yes there are some bands that have put out weak records ever since they've become famous, but stopping to listen to a band JUST because they are famous is retarded .. and I do not see how listening to "underground" bands makes you cooler .. don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that underground music is crap .. I'm just saying it can be crap it can be good just as famous bands can be crap or good .. mainstream, sell-outs,.. whatever you want to call it .... if you stop listening to a band because too many people like it, then (I believe) you just want to stress convulsively how different you are compared to other people and that is pathetic .. sounds to me like you haven't gotten out of your puberty
11.11.2012 - 21:54
Like your picture, OP. Full of joy
----
"Everything will be ok
I'll just sit down and watch some bullshit"
-Acrania
11.11.2012 - 21:57
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Dinruth on 11.11.2012 at 21:12

I agree with you .. calling other styles shit and not even giving them chance is not very open minded ... but I think you can expand the notion of "elitism" to people who are like "I don't listen to that band anymore because they've become too popular .. I only listen to underground bands and they are so much more talented" -... duuuh ... I mean yes there are some bands that have put out weak records ever since they've become famous, but stopping to listen to a band JUST because they are famous is retarded .. and I do not see how listening to "underground" bands makes you cooler .. don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that underground music is crap .. I'm just saying it can be crap it can be good just as famous bands can be crap or good .. mainstream, sell-outs,.. whatever you want to call it .... if you stop listening to a band because too many people like it, then (I believe) you just want to stress convulsively how different you are compared to other people and that is pathetic .. sounds to me like you haven't gotten out of your puberty

Sounds more like your stereotypical hipster mentality than one pertaining more exclusively to metal.
11.11.2012 - 22:28
whatsacow

YES!!! This annoys the shit out of me. I mean people getting annoyed at a band who changed their style to become popular is understandable, but when a band gains recognition for the same things you love about them, you have no reason to hate them.
----
11.11.2012 - 22:53
Dinruth
Written by Marcus on 11.11.2012 at 21:57

Sounds more like your stereotypical hipster mentality than one pertaining more exclusively to metal.

dude I never said anything against people who like underground stuff .. or support artists who are not so well known .. fuck I just spent 30 bucks on Persefone's Core album, because after three months of looking for it I finally found a copy .. I was simply speaking about people who bitch about how shit this or that is, because many people like it
11.11.2012 - 23:10
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Dinruth on 11.11.2012 at 22:53

dude I never said anything against people who like underground stuff .. or support artists who are not so well known .. fuck I just spent 30 bucks on Persefone's Core album, because after three months of looking for it I finally found a copy .. I was simply speaking about people who bitch about how shit this or that is, because many people like it

I was just referring to people who like music only because it's underground, the people who say "I liked ____ before it was cool"
12.11.2012 - 00:00
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I don't agree. Yes I am maybe close-minded, but I do only listen to metal regularly. Of course I can listen to the radio in the car, but it's not that kind of music I am listening to at home. I do listen to many genres inside metal, and genres that are even on the border to be called metal, like shoe-gaze. And there are certain genres I don't listen to AT ALL, because I don't like it. For example, I do not listen to grindcore, because every grindcore song I have heard, is just noise to me, and for me, it's like that the musicians just made it to bullshit and not seriously (sorry if some grindcore fans get offended). Or music like techno / trance. I just don't like it. I'm not stupid for that reason! =)

Of course, one should respect every artists and respect people's music taste. To me, Justin Bieber is just a sellout artist who sings what he is told to, or a money machine if you want to, and in my opinion, that Nicki Minaj is CRAP. BUT, that is only my opinion, and respect other people listening to it.
12.11.2012 - 00:31
Lit.
Account deleted
Don't we already have like 5 other threads like this one?
12.11.2012 - 00:39
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.11.2012 at 00:31

Five threads like this pop up every week. We get it, metal heads are close minded elitists who only like demos limited to 666 hand numbered copies on special red "goat blood" vinyl. Let's move on.
12.11.2012 - 02:58
whatsacow
Written by Guest on 12.11.2012 at 00:39

Five threads like this pop up every week. We get it, metal heads are close minded elitists who only like demos limited to 666 hand numbered copies on special red "goat blood" vinyl. Let's move on.

Fair enough. I searched for elitism, and elitist, but only one or two threads came up, and they weren't specifically about this. They may have used different wording though. I haven't been on this site in at least 4 months, so I don't know the regular activity.
----
12.11.2012 - 03:44
Void Eater
Account deleted
No worries, I just get buttmad when people complain about metalheads being "close minded elitists". My problem, not yours, carry on, my wayward son.
12.11.2012 - 07:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

Damn, demos limited to 666 copies how sell out and commercial I only buy demos that are limited to 20, 50 or 100 copies
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.11.2012 - 13:08
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.11.2012 at 07:03

Damn, demos limited to 666 copies how sell out and commercial I only buy demos that are limited to 20, 50 or 100 copies

To be truly cult (tr00ly kvlt?) you shouldn't even release the demos. Just record them, then destroy them.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
12.11.2012 - 16:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 12.11.2012 at 03:44
I just get buttmad when people complain about metalheads being "close minded elitists".

Specially because you find people like that in ALL genres of music tbh.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.11.2012 - 17:40
Guib
Thrash Talker

Hahahaha I loved it. Void mah man.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
12.11.2012 - 20:14
whatsacow
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.11.2012 at 16:32

Written by Guest on 12.11.2012 at 03:44
I just get buttmad when people complain about metalheads being "close minded elitists".

Specially because you find people like that in ALL genres of music tbh.

I'm well aware that other genres do it too, and it's just as annoying when a hip hop fan or rock snob does it. And I get that it happens in every form of pop culture, or even culture in general. You get wine snobs who won't touch other forms of alcohol etc. It doesn't change the fact that it's petty and stupid, wherever it's happening.
----
12.11.2012 - 21:11
PrinceLink
I'm just gonna say that I really hate the mind of a metal elitist, generally because they come off as whiners unacceptable of taking other people's opinions, the whole "false metal" bullcrap (No such thing exists. ), and well, they're just completely annoying. These people claim that they're saving metal when they're actually giving it a bad name. F*** them.

I mean, I dislike modern pop music, but I don't go around being a douche around those who do like pop music, and I can accept that they like the music I don't listen too.
13.11.2012 - 03:38
Guib
Thrash Talker
I think metal elitist do what they do just because they want to be part of something. I don't know if you follow me there... Like kids who wanna be accepted by the COOL KIDS who do idiotic stuff. I think its the same thing, they think that by doing so they are ''Reall and Cool metalheads'' part of some sort of imaginary elite. Anyways thats what I think, else what does it bring them to do so ? nothing ...

And I agree with you, it is petty and completely dumb.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here