Metal Storm logo
Sabaton - Sheffield, England, 11th November 2012

Event: Sabaton: UK & Ireland Tour
Written by: Baz Anderson
Published: 15.11.2012

Galleries:

Sabaton - Sheffield, England, 11th November 2012 by Baz Anderson (18)

On this day 94 years ago, at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, the hostilities of World War I came to an end. Every year since, this date is dedicated to the remembrance of those who died.

Perhaps there was something very fitting then, that Sabaton held the final date of their UK leg on this date; the band with songs about war, the needless loss of life and remembering those who have fallen.

Hungarian power metallers Wisdom on first clearly have the desire and drive to be successful, along with an Iron Maiden cover of "Wasted Years" the band entertained the audience, albeit very unimaginative. Swiss rabble Eluveitie also filled the time effectively with their wall of various instruments and their folk-influenced metalcore sound they have live.

The night had been pretty passable until headliners Sabaton burst on the stage after their introduction of "The Final Countdown". Always an energetic and fun band, Joakim tends to find his time in the UK constantly overwhelming at the reactions he gets. A very popular band in Britain, the Sheffield audience today did not disappoint with the volume levels either.

Perhaps disappointingly sidelining the older albums in the setlist, the band did however give the audience the choice which song they would play next a few times in the night. "Gott Mit Uns" is still a great track, along with a healthy selection from arguably the band's best album The Art Of War.

The band have undergone a lot of changes this year, losing four members of the band and replacing them with three new guys. Most notably, the band don't have a live keyboard player anymore and have opted to play them through a backing track instead. Authenticity levels may have gone a little down then, but Sabaton are still largely an enjoyable band to watch live.

With a great rapport with the audience like few other bands can create, the Swedes end their UK leg of their extensive tour on a very high note. Always worth watching, and coincidentally on this date too; the ideal band for Remembrance Sunday.

Setlist: Ghost Division / Gott Mit Uns / Poltava / White Death / Carolus Rex / Karolinens Bön / 40:1 / Cliffs Of Gallipoli / Uprising / Dominium Maris Baltici / The Lion From The North / The Hammer Has Fallen / Attero Dominatus / The Art Of War / Primo Victoria / Metal Crüe

Written on 15.11.2012 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 62 users
15.11.2012 - 22:06
Kingface

Great review Baz!

I really enjoyed all three Bands. Wisdom aren't doing anything new, but they are bloody good at what they do! Really enjoyed them.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Eluveitie's set, considering as far as their recordings are concerned I'm not a fan.

Sabaton were brilliant as was to be expected and Joakim's connection with the audience is always fantastic. Great setlist too. One of the best shows I've been to this year.
16.11.2012 - 00:30
Rulatore

Did they played the swedish or english versions of the new songs ?

Seems a nice show
16.11.2012 - 00:58
Baz Anderson

Written by Rulatore on 16.11.2012 at 00:30

Did they played the swedish or english versions of the new songs ?

Seems a nice show

As noted in the setlist, they played "Karolinens Bön" ("Carolean's Prayer") in Swedish and the rest in English.
16.11.2012 - 01:23
Rulatore

Written by Baz Anderson on 16.11.2012 at 00:58

As noted in the setlist, they played "Karolinens Bön" ("Carolean's Prayer") in Swedish and the rest in English.

I asked it because Carolus Rex and Gott Mit Uns don't have an alternative title for each version

Thanks

Hits total: 5259 | This month: 7