Release date: October 2012

01. II - Reich der Wächter
02. III - Eine neue Ordnung
03. IV - Die Sonne auf Erden
04. V - Steppen des Geistes
05. I - Flammen der Reinigung
06. VII - Das Ende aller Träume

This is it.

This is what it's about. All the time searching, looking and digging for those albums, all the time wasted listening to heaping piles some people call music; all that effort pays off now.

Schattenbrandung hail from the cold and isolated village of Stuttgart, Germany; they play black metal, the way black metal is supposed to be played. Intense, visceral riffs plunge deep into the darkness which has already been occupied by the dark and vicious vocals. The hateful drums come in to sink you deeper in the dark hole that is I - Apophänie.

The depressing musical approach has a tendency to lift you up with haunting melodies, only to have your spirit slammed back into the earth with an explosion of sound. The black metal played is definitely not that of its Norwegian forefathers, but a mix of doom and atmospheric black, and even occasionally some gothic clean vocals and guitar melodies. The thing that caught my ears the most with this release, however, is the fact that this is not a single play album. The creative song-structure and altogether oddness of this album compels the listener to stop and fully take in the music; once you focus completely on the music, strange and amusing things will start to appear.

The vocals are extraordinarily versatile on this record. They range from gothic and downright sad clean singing, to depressing, black metal wails and even the odd funeral moan in the vein of Ahab. I then noticed the incredibly strong guitar work displayed here. Another mix up of styles, from acoustic ballads and jazz pieces, to relentless black metal tremolo, and even soaring heavy metal solos. The mix up of styles would usually indicate a very inconsistent album, however, that is not the case. Every song here seems to flow and mingle together like a perfectly choreographed figure skating routine.

This, folks, is my choice for black metal album of the year. Listen now at their Bandcamp page. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Boxcar Willy | 21.11.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 371 users
21.11.2012 - 15:43
Rating: 9
Kuroboshi
Seems to be right up my alley! Thanks for the heads up Box. How would you say this compares with their fellow Germans, Negator? (If you haven't heard them, check out the song "Old Stigma".)

I must say that your reviews are getting better and better; really creative writing. Top-notch review!
21.11.2012 - 15:46
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Decent interludes and acoustic passages, however only in context. In any other genre barring than doom they would be deemed unsatisfactory. Also, the production with respect to the vocals is terrible; the screeching pitch almost painful....

You sure you know what visceral means?
21.11.2012 - 15:52
Rating: 9
Kuroboshi
Clashing opinions!
21.11.2012 - 16:40
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Hmm, you got me interested.
21.11.2012 - 16:40
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
It's good, but definitely not BM album of the year from me. Probably somewhere around a high 7 to a low 8
21.11.2012 - 17:26
Fredd
Account deleted
Quote:
the cold and isolated village of Stuttgart, Germany

Good one, this
21.11.2012 - 20:11
Void Eater
Account deleted
What the fuck is "hateful drums" supposed to mean?
21.11.2012 - 22:59
Tox
Sounds more like a 7 7 7 7 than a 9 9 8 9...
22.11.2012 - 01:55
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.11.2012 at 17:26

Quote:
the cold and isolated village of Stuttgart, Germany

Good one, this

pfft. village and city are interchangeable
22.11.2012 - 04:29
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Aw, Jeez guys! lol. Why's everybody picking on Boxcar? This is a good review. Certainly got me interested...

Post-edit: I checked this out. Very worth the time. Thanks Willy!
22.11.2012 - 04:49
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Interested (which is the point of the review, get one to actually listen to the music), shall listen later
----
loves 小巫
22.11.2012 - 12:04
garmling
Account deleted
I rarely read reviews, don't know why I did it now, but I certainly don't regret it! man, this is some really nice piece of music! especially track IV, that 13+ min thing full of Anathema's The Silent Enigma atmosphere...thanx Willy for the heads up!
22.11.2012 - 17:06
D.T. Metal
staff
Written by Ag Fox on 22.11.2012 at 04:49

Interested (which is the point of the review, get one to actually listen to the music), shall listen later

and ^^^ exactly THIS is the point! Well said, Sir
23.11.2012 - 02:57
Lit.
Account deleted
444 copies.

...wait, that is original!
23.11.2012 - 02:59
Grody2themax
It was a good review and I checked it out, but it was pretty much what I'd expect from a modern day doom band.

But, on MS, reviews > music. So, Boxcar wins.
27.11.2012 - 20:37
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Makes me proud. 9/10

Hits total: 6444 | This month: 14