Metal Storm logo
Cathedral

Original post

Posted by Sleep In Sorrow, 29.11.2006 - 13:38
Cathedral is a band that puzzles me... though they are old, their CDs are somewhat easy to find, they get good reviews on Metal-Archives and Doom-Metal.com, however... around my city I know nobody who likes them and here in MS there isn't a single review for their albums and not a single topic (yes, I searched for it).

I've been a fan of Cathedral's music every since the middle of last year when I bought their The Garden of Unearthly Delights album and got really hooked with all the catchy fucked-up lyrics, groovy riffs, sweet leads and all. After that I decided to go through the rest of their stuff, beginning with the first album, Forest of Equilibrium. It's a good piece, very heavy riffs and some highly emotional songs (like the classic Ebony Tears or Reaching Happiness, Touching Pain, with its despondent flute), but still I don't regret their taking the direction they took after it.
Then I got Carnival Bizarre, which I think is fun as hell ("huggy bear, oh, yeah!"), and The VII Coming, which I like but not as much. I dunno, I guess it's because it's not as heavy. Still some cool songs to be found like Phoenix Rising, Iconoclast and Black Robed Avenger. The Soul Sacrifice/Statik Majik EPs (they came together) were next and it does sound pretty cool. Very groovy but still very melancholic. And just yesterday I got The Ethereal Mirror and Caravan Beyond Redemption and I can't stop listening to them.

So I was wondering what is the opinion of you other MSers on this band.

PS: I was in a bit of doubt on whether to put this topic here or in the Alternative Metal subforum due to Cathedral's leading often more to the stoner and groove side of thing. But I ended up putting them here. I guess the doom side still shines often and that belongs to the Melodic forum.
But let's not discuss this.
14.05.2008 - 01:08
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Bad English on 14.05.2008 at 00:31

In thgat case you shood like Electric Wizard too ,

I'm an Electric Wizard fan, great stuff.
----
The force will be with you, always.
15.05.2008 - 14:55
Velvet Thorns
Cathedral are one of my most beloved bands ever since i heard Forrest of Equillibrium in 91 - I was astonished, never heard such a thing before, and I'm still mad about it, it is a classic masterpiece!!! The music and Lee's voice are out of this world! Earache was my favorite label, with Godflesh being my other big love. And about the cover - I have always wanted to put it as a picture on my wall, but as I can never find it in size big enough to be printed, maybe i have to ask a painter to draw it.. ? Back then some friends asked me to translate the lyrics in Bulgarian - a totally impossible thing, and of course the result was funny, but i still keep a copy of the pages, printed by me in a black obituary frame :}}}
Sadly, the only cd's i have ever managed to buy are Caravan Beyond Redemption and Endtyme - also with amazing artwork!
----
restless oblivion forever
15.05.2008 - 18:17
Judas
The Amputator
For the past few months I've really been digging 'The Carnival Bizarre', holy shit that is one awesome album, containing the song "Hopkins (The Witchfinder General)", which I, along with many other people here it appears, consider to be a real masterpiece. 'Endtyme' has its moments too I think, a lot of people criticise this album unfairly. "Alchemist of Sorrows" is probably my favourite from that album.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
16.05.2008 - 09:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This band even ha schanged but tahy hasvnt changed so much nowdaysits stoner doom and yoy can view videos in MS to understand how band was changed
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.05.2009 - 04:15
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
I picked up Cathedral's etherial mirror album when it came out. I got into them then. In all honesty I think Cathedral sorta wants to be that sort of "obscure find" within the music realm. The only album that they really had any kind of explosion of was etherial mirror & carnival bizzare. After that it's like they wanted to go into an acid haze and be found by whomever was just looking into them.

My only complaint on the band has been their production work. Since supernatural birth machine they haven't really worked to make their sound glow out like they did on earlier works. I do understand that they try to depict a certain ambiance in their writing but it just sorta took away from their work as a whole.

Lee Dorian's come a long way since Napalm Death (yeah, wow on that jump!) but the matter of "where exactly Lee Dorian's going" is the huge "?" in my mind.
----
01.05.2009 - 23:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I picked it up upon release as well - i kinda liked "Forest of Equilibrium", but it was a bit too slow for me back then - too plodding. still i took a gamble and picked up "Ethereal Mirror" and loved it.

suffice it to say, "Yes, Lee, oooooh.... i can feel the groove!"

i pretty much bought any follow-up ep or album of their's i could find over the following years, even when metal (outside of them and morbid angel) dropped off my radar in the late 90s.*

i used to have a tie-dyed yellow/orange Cathedral shrit with the "Soul Sacrifice" ep logo on it:

god damned thing turned the top of all my jeans/shorts into this god awful puke green color because the nuclear-powered yellow and orange rubbed off onto them.

* wasn't into bm at the time, dm just got stale, and i had wasted too mcuh money on mediocre music... when i started attending university, i just didn't have the money to spend gambling on music any more. i had 300-400 disks at that time and was quite content just to listen to what i already had.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.05.2009 - 16:28
Written by Velvet Thorns on 15.05.2008 at 14:55

Cathedral are one of my most beloved bands ever since i heard Forrest of Equillibrium in 91 - I was astonished, never heard such a thing before, and I'm still mad about it, it is a classic masterpiece!!! The music and Lee's voice are out of this world! Earache was my favorite label, with Godflesh being my other big love. And about the cover - I have always wanted to put it as a picture on my wall, but as I can never find it in size big enough to be printed, maybe i have to ask a painter to draw it.. ? Back then some friends asked me to translate the lyrics in Bulgarian - a totally impossible thing, and of course the result was funny, but i still keep a copy of the pages, printed by me in a black obituary frame :}}}
Sadly, the only cd's i have ever managed to buy are Caravan Beyond Redemption and Endtyme - also with amazing artwork!

http://askearache.blogspot.com/

Earache should be able to give you some info as to how to acquire one.
11.05.2009 - 12:35
Velvet Thorns
Thanx i'll check it up
btw i was listening to Celtic Frost's Monotheist the other day |as i often do | and it remembered me of Cathedral in a way
----
restless oblivion forever
04.06.2009 - 14:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Holy shit how can this band sound like such a great combination of Dio-era Black Sabbath and NWOBHM with such great production??

their "fast" songs(Witchfinder General, Voodoo) are FUCKING AMAZING

EDIT Utopian Blaster is also incredibly awesome with that monstrous groovy riff and those awesome melodies.... definitely a must see for me at W.O.A.
06.06.2009 - 00:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Valentin B on 04.06.2009 at 14:50

EDIT Utopian Blaster is also incredibly awesome with that monstrous groovy riff and those awesome melodies.... definitely a must see for me at W.O.A.

Tony Iommi appears on that track...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.06.2009 - 01:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BitterCOld on 06.06.2009 at 00:40

Written by Valentin B on 04.06.2009 at 14:50

Tony Iommi appears on that track...

hell yeah
08.04.2010 - 13:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The new album is one of the most fabulous things I've heard in a while.