Metal Storm logo
Cathedral

29.11.2006 - 13:38
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
Cathedral is a band that puzzles me... though they are old, their CDs are somewhat easy to find, they get good reviews on Metal-Archives and Doom-Metal.com, however... around my city I know nobody who likes them and here in MS there isn't a single review for their albums and not a single topic (yes, I searched for it).

I've been a fan of Cathedral's music every since the middle of last year when I bought their The Garden of Unearthly Delights album and got really hooked with all the catchy fucked-up lyrics, groovy riffs, sweet leads and all. After that I decided to go through the rest of their stuff, beginning with the first album, Forest of Equilibrium. It's a good piece, very heavy riffs and some highly emotional songs (like the classic Ebony Tears or Reaching Happiness, Touching Pain, with its despondent flute), but still I don't regret their taking the direction they took after it.
Then I got Carnival Bizarre, which I think is fun as hell ("huggy bear, oh, yeah!"), and The VII Coming, which I like but not as much. I dunno, I guess it's because it's not as heavy. Still some cool songs to be found like Phoenix Rising, Iconoclast and Black Robed Avenger. The Soul Sacrifice/Statik Majik EPs (they came together) were next and it does sound pretty cool. Very groovy but still very melancholic. And just yesterday I got The Ethereal Mirror and Caravan Beyond Redemption and I can't stop listening to them.

So I was wondering what is the opinion of you other MSers on this band.

PS: I was in a bit of doubt on whether to put this topic here or in the Alternative Metal subforum due to Cathedral's leading often more to the stoner and groove side of thing. But I ended up putting them here. I guess the doom side still shines often and that belongs to the Melodic forum.
But let's not discuss this.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
29.11.2006 - 15:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I realy like this band from
''Forest of Equilibrium'' 1991 till ''Hopkins (The Witchfinder General)'' 1996 also ''The Ethereal Mirror'' are good and all demos and singels but I hawnt ehar singles, I just listen 3 albums +1 EP of band and yeah death/doom metal are great
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.12.2006 - 10:08
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I fucking love this band, Gaz is a genius. I bought Ethereal quite a few months back and it's easily one of my favourite albums ever. Fountain of Innocence, Midnight Mountain & Phantasmagoria are just monsters of songs, all for different reasons. Also downloaded most of VIIth, Sacrifice, and a few other single songs and, though I agree VIIth is a bit weaker, it's all pure class. More people need to know about these guys!

MY NAME IS HOPKINS! (no, not really)
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
18.12.2006 - 01:05
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
Written by Syk on 16.12.2006 at 10:08

I fucking love this band, Gaz is a genius. I bought Ethereal quite a few months back and it's easily one of my favourite albums ever. Fountain of Innocence, Midnight Mountain & Phantasmagoria are just monsters of songs, all for different reasons. Also downloaded most of VIIth, Sacrifice, and a few other single songs and, though I agree VIIth is a bit weaker, it's all pure class. More people need to know about these guys!

MY NAME IS HOPKINS! (no, not really)

"I'm Matthew Hopkins, witchfinder"

If you look through IMDB, there's a movie called "Witchfinder General" on which the song was based. Cathedral made a music video of it, you can see it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Qdj7pt7Iw&mode=related&search= (the video is AWESOME!)

Other videos there:
* Midnight Mountain (VERY good and trippy! I want velvet bellbottoms like Lee Dorrian ) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wdbXItRk8w
* Ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJcHUrCZP8s&mode=related&search=
* Autumn Twilight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDOc92k4itY&mode=related&search=
* Black Sunday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KAoEW7Diak&mode=related&search=
* Cosmic Funeral: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWZTCG5bbo&mode=related&search=
* Stained Glass Horizons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWZTCG5bbo&mode=related&search=

Groovy!
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
18.12.2006 - 07:44
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Yeah that was the first vid I saw of theirs, then Black Sunday I think. Haven't seen the others. Now I get it, I thought the song had something to do with the band of the same name
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
04.01.2007 - 03:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Syk on 18.12.2006 at 07:44

Yeah that was the first vid I saw of theirs, then Black Sunday I think. Haven't seen the others. Now I get it, I thought the song had something to do with the band of the same name

Only vid I know from them are Hophins ''Witchfinder general'' ist all
----

apos;'
[image]
04.01.2007 - 22:08
Nyarlatothep
But Hopinks is their absolutly best song! Dosnt get any better than that:-D
----
"To defend one's life and the safety of one's fatherland is the prize and excellence of this discipline"
02.07.2007 - 16:27
UnholyMenace
Psycho
I saw them live few days ago - It was a thing to see and hear. Especially the last song - Hopkins (Witchfinder General). I really enjoy their latest album and it was very interesting to hear some songs from it live. They also played a song from their very first album, unfortunately I don't remember which one. And I also got my Cathedral - Hopkins EP signed by Lee Dorian and Leo Smee.
02.07.2007 - 22:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I've been into them since I picked up "Forest of Equilibrium" in 1992 or so. The next two albums, "Ethereal Mirror" and "Carnival Bizarre" are their best, at least in my opinion.

I prefer their more rocking Sabbathed out tunes to their slower funereal dirges.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.10.2007 - 13:40
Esoptron
Account deleted
One of my favourite bands...Forest of Equilibrium,Etheral Mirror and The Garden of Unearthly Delights are masterpieces!!I prefer the period when they played doom metal although i like also the time they played stoner doom metal!!Really love them.
15.10.2007 - 13:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 15.10.2007 at 13:40

One of my favourite bands...Forest of Equilibrium,Etheral Mirror and The Garden of Unearthly Delights are masterpieces!!I prefer the period when they played doom metal although i like also the time they played stoner doom metal!!Really love them.

I agree I like all albums thay whit MDB didnt changed radicaly how other early doom bands from Uk
----

apos;'
[image]
17.12.2007 - 18:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
I have owned "The Garden Of Unearthly Deligth" a long while already. Never liked it though, mainly because of the vocals. Picked it up again a couple of weeks ago and to my surprise, it sounded much better. Not really what I would call "great" music but they are enjoyable at least.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
17.12.2007 - 20:48
rageing atheist
Account deleted
The best live band I've seen, I also own their debut, which is great, though I haven't yet gotten any of their other releases. Also they have used some of the best cover art I've seen.The debut's cover is truly awesome, and the other cover pictures they have used have also been very good.
22.12.2007 - 01:46
ylside
staff
The covers I've seen are special and amazing indeed !! I already greatly enjoyed their debut.
15.02.2008 - 19:40
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
ahhh cathedral are great. they are from cov which is near me and i love the general feeling of their music. i like the live version of a funeral request off the earache records 2nd compliation (if anyone has it) awesome.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
17.02.2008 - 11:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Necrogeddon on 15.02.2008 at 19:40

ahhh cathedral are great. they are from cov which is near me and i love the general feeling of their music. i like the live version of a funeral request off the earache records 2nd compliation (if anyone has it) awesome.

what is cov Coventry
----

apos;'
[image]
17.02.2008 - 20:54
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
yes coventry in the midlands in england
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
17.02.2008 - 23:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Necrogeddon on 17.02.2008 at 20:54

yes coventry in the midlands in england

I know where it is I didnt know band are from Coventry
----

apos;'
[image]
09.03.2008 - 20:45
bucky01403
Account deleted
I'm absolutely in love with Lee Dorian's voice, he knows his limitations and can successfully structure them into his vocal lines. Creating interesting and unique listening experience.
24.03.2008 - 11:23
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Even though Lee's unique voice is filled with personality, it's taking me a little while to get used to him. I fucking love the music, especially the riffs, on The Ethereal Mirror, and I'm really hoping that Lee will grow on me.
31.03.2008 - 03:21
bucky01403
Account deleted
Keep listening, you'll eventually pick up on the subtleties he uses in his vocal lines.
31.03.2008 - 21:23
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
It's odd to me that Lee Dorian's vocals are hard to get into for some. They personally stood out as something different (and good) when I first heard them. I admit they are very different for this type of Doom Metal. The term "Death Metal" actually popped into my head when I first heard them, but I enjoy them. But oh! Those riffs! They just make me want to bang my head until my neck snaps! DOOM!
----
The force will be with you, always.
31.03.2008 - 22:09
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Dangerboner on 24.03.2008 at 11:23

Even though Lee's unique voice is filled with personality, it's taking me a little while to get used to him. I fucking love the music, especially the riffs, on The Ethereal Mirror, and I'm really hoping that Lee will grow on me.

I've been listening to Cathedral for about 16 years now, and I'm still getting used to his vocals. They've always grated on me.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.03.2008 - 22:51
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 31.03.2008 at 21:23

It's odd to me that Lee Dorian's vocals are hard to get into for some. They personally stood out as something different (and good) when I first heard them. I admit they are very different for this type of Doom Metal. The term "Death Metal" actually popped into my head when I first heard them, but I enjoy them. But oh! Those riffs! They just make me want to bang my head until my neck snaps! DOOM!

Early Cathedral can be easily considered as Death/Doom... I usually feel like preaching in the desert when I say that, so I'm actually glad that someone seems to agree.
01.04.2008 - 12:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 31.03.2008 at 22:51

Written by Clintagräm on 31.03.2008 at 21:23

Early Cathedral can be easily considered as Death/Doom... I usually feel like preaching in the desert when I say that, so I'm actually glad that someone seems to agree.

Forest Of Equilibrium certainly is death/doom IMO and really not all that surprising considering the band Lee sang in before Cathedral.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.04.2008 - 20:33
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.04.2008 at 12:17

Forest Of Equilibrium certainly is death/doom IMO and really not all that surprising considering the band Lee sang in before Cathedral.

I'm guessing you're referring to his stint in Napalm Death?
----
01.04.2008 - 20:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Clintagräm on 01.04.2008 at 20:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.04.2008 at 12:17

I'm guessing you're referring to his stint in Napalm Death?

Of course I am, I thought I had mentioned the band name but see I forgot it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.04.2008 - 01:28
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
elite
Forest of Equilibrium is actually an album that is a bit difficult to categorize 100% correctly IMO. Now it was a long time ago I listened to the album so I dont remember it perfect, but from top of my head I would say its a cross between death/doom and stoner/doom.
----
13.05.2008 - 21:41
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Just listening to a bit of Cathedral again, while getting my Doom fix. I never realized how awesome the title track from 'The Carnival Bizarre' was. I love the jam session towards the end. Oh yeah, and "Utopia Blaster" kicks ass too. Must be because Iommi was featured.
----
14.05.2008 - 00:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 13.05.2008 at 21:41

Just listening to a bit of Cathedral again, while getting my Doom fix. I never realized how awesome the title track from 'The Carnival Bizarre' was. I love the jam session towards the end. Oh yeah, and "Utopia Blaster" kicks ass too. Must be because Iommi was featured.

In thgat case you shood like Electric Wizard too ,
I dont know why but Metheu Hophins(Witchfinder General) (SONG NOT BAND) I like best

PS why its so hard to spell Matheu, italians was smarter invented easyer spellin Matheo
----

apos;'
[image]