Band: Destruction
Album: Spiritual Genocide
Release date: November 2012

01. Exordium
02. Cyanide
03. Spiritual Genocide
04. Renegades
05. City Of Doom
06. Legacy Of The Past [feat. Andreas "Gerre" Geremia, Thomas "Angelripper" Such]
07. To Dust You Will Decay
08. Carnivore
09. No Signs Of Repentance
10. Riot Squad
11. Under Violent Sledge
12. Princess Of The Night [Saxon cover] [digipak bonus]
13. Carnivore [featuring Harry & Olly] [digipak bonus]

It's scary how quickly time goes by; it seems like only yesterday Day Of Reckoning was the latest Destruction album. It also might not be apparent to some that Destruction are about to celebrate their 30th anniversary as a band; a milestone deserving of respect.

Spiritual Genocide is the Teutonic trio's eighth new release since the turn of the millennium, and the second to feature new stick-man Vaaver. Continuing the thrash from the previous album, Mike and Schmier show once more that together, they are a reliable and trusty combination.

Destruction are one of the last bastions of true Teutonic thrash metal, and Spiritual Genocide is another slab of hefty, fast-paced metal. There's ample to sink your teeth in and bang your head to, but there is also nothing of standout importance that sets this album apart from any other Destruction release. The album is terribly predictable, and unlike before really seems to lack Mike's cutting-edge riffs.

"Carnivore" is such a drag, but on the flip-side "Legacy Of The Past" is a pretty catchy song with Sodom's Tom Angelripper and Tankard's Gerre getting involved in the action. First and last songs "Cyanide" and "Under Violent Sledge" are also savage sledgehammers of thrash and are by a long way the songs to remember from the album.

You always know what you're going to get with Destruction; they're one of the more consistent German thrash bands. Unfortunately because you do always know what you're going to get, Destruction never have any surprises for the listener. More than anything on Spiritual Genocide, the guitar-work is well below the standard Mike usually delivers.

Destruction are one of the "stick in the mud" bands that have always stayed true to their own sound without any deviation through the years. Almost thirty years on, the band wouldn't still be doing this if they weren't doing something right. Spiritual Genocide isn't one of the band's outstanding releases, but it is worth a spin.

-

Thrash metal
Nuclear Blast
Germany
Length: 41:30

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 27.11.2012 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 333 users
27.11.2012 - 05:08
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Well reviewed as usual, Baz. Definitely agree with you
----
loves 小巫
27.11.2012 - 05:39
Mattybu

Nice review, sounds very similar to their 2011 album, which was a decent album.
27.11.2012 - 08:15
The Galactician

I dug the last one so I'll probably dig this too. In a world full of great bands and a lot of new talent, I'm totally OK with a few "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" groups.
27.11.2012 - 22:41
exomorphyx89

I expected a little more for this album, however I like the formula these guys are still using.
----
"Bang you head against the stage and metal takes its place..."
30.11.2012 - 07:25
Void Eater
Account deleted
For some reason I hadn't listened to this yet so I'm checking out Cyanide and YES THEY ARE FUCKING BACK!!!!
30.11.2012 - 11:11
bblitz

Excellent album,just listening to it.dDstruction as always no
remorse,thrash till death.

Hits total: 7923 | This month: 10