Metal Storm logo
Black Twilight Circle - (USBM collective, kinda like LLN, but good)

30.11.2012 - 19:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So yeah, the Black Twilight Circle are a Southern California-based collection, scene, whatever you want to call it, of like-minded black metal bands that seem to be on the Crepúsculo Negro and Rhinocervs labels. Information about them appears to be virtually non-existent. I suppose you could regard it as an American, modern equivalent of Les Légions Noires that comprises some 17 or so odd bands that are either directly part of or at least affiliated with it. The difference is, unlike LLN, is that many, if not the majority, of these bands are excellent and not just predicated on silly rumour and legend along with rubbish music. Stylistically speaking all the bands are relatively raw and rough round the edges, in varying degrees, but their sound tends to focus on dense, layered, sometimes freeform guitars, often quite psychedelic in nature. There's a definite unifying theme amongst them, and it's a very satisfying one that's quite different from the mountains of Darkclones around.

While I can easily choose a favourite, that would be Arizmenda for their sublime 'Within the Vacuum of Infinity...' it's hard to choose from the others which is the most successful, because frankly they'll all so fucking good. I only today realised that Muknal, the closest the group has to a death metal band (and one of my favourite releases this year) is supposedly part of them. You also have Odz Manouk who have the boldest, most direct sound though not too dissimilar to Arizmenda (have to say these would probably be joint second favourite along with Muknal). Dolorvotre and Kuxan Suum being the loosest, most freeform of the lot, often sounding almost improv in nature (particularly in the case of Kuxan Suum's one 17 minute long song EP). Axeman have a distinctly punk-ish vibe and Absum are the doom band of the group (albeit extremely raw sounding doom). The actual Rhinocervs music project appears to change frequently from demo to demo from the accessible slower, more melodic and generally atmospheric to more punishing death tinged black metal. And so on.

Yeah lots of incredible music in this group. Here's a few favourites so you get an idea of their sound. (The Volahn one will have to be watched on youtube itself. Worth it though because the song is amazing)

If these links ever go down there's a bunch of tracks here.
30.11.2012 - 20:04
ANGEL REAPER
Hey they use cassettes - they are kvlt as fuck
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
30.11.2012 - 20:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 30.11.2012 at 20:04

Hey they use cassettes - they are kvlt as fuck

The kvltest
01.12.2012 - 18:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Azdahatus sounds good --- is there a place where can I see all bands who belongs?
I never ever heard about such circle.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.12.2012 - 18:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 01.12.2012 at 18:37

Azdahatus sounds good --- is there a place where can I see all bands who belongs?
I never ever heard about such circle.

If you mean something official then I'm pretty sure there's nothing of the sort, but here's an interview I just found. Haven't even read it myself yet.
01.12.2012 - 21:33
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Had never listened to these bands, but what I'm hearing so far is damn good. Thanks Jooe.
02.12.2012 - 01:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by SilentScream on 01.12.2012 at 21:33

Had never listened to these bands, but what I'm hearing so far is damn good. Thanks Jooe.

My pleasure.
02.12.2012 - 02:57
BreadGod
Account deleted
My favorite of these bands is Muknal. They sound so dark and evil.
02.12.2012 - 03:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.12.2012 at 02:57

My favorite of these bands is Muknal. They sound so dark and evil.

Yeah Muknal have an incredible sound. I hope it doesn't change too much on future records.
02.12.2012 - 05:03
Vombatus
Potorro
I only know Arizmenda, and they be mindblowing.

I will know delve deeper into the realms ov kvltness... Odz Manouk sounding quite awesome right now.
31.12.2012 - 16:57
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I really love BTC and Rhinocervs because of the mysterious nature of the music, along with the fact that the music is so lo-fi and interesting - no two bands are really that alike, and they all incorporate some sort of unique flair in their music whilst retaining the raw and primitive recording sound. Heck, Rhinocervs doesn't even let us know which band is performing on a particular release. It helps that most of the releases are on cassette (my favorite format) and vinyl, and not-so-often on cd, which reinforces the analog nature and ethos of the collective and appeals to me (though, I do like the cd versions). Unfortunately, I have not directly ordered from the label, and I don't think I would, considering the stories of rip-offs and extremely late shipping times. When the stuff is through another distro, I'll definitely buy the tapes, though. I've listened to quite a lot of the stuff, and have the Odz Manouk and Tukaaria re-issues on Profound Lore, which are absolutely phenomenal. More of this stuff deserves treatment like that (I'd like to see a double/triple-disc re-issue of the two Arizmenda albums with some bonus material).

My favorite from the collective is probably Dolovotre for their psychedelic-LLN vibe, but I have never been disappointed by any of these bands - as I said, each brings something new and interesting to the table. I also like Axeman ("metnal" is probably my favorite BTC cut), Arizmenda, The Haunting Presence, Muknal, Volahn, Kallathon, and Blue Hummingbird on the Left quite a lot.

EDIT: 666th post
24.01.2013 - 02:08
squidrick420
I gotta say that i am beyond impressed with these bands, i think that choosing a favorite out of these would be nearly impossible
18.06.2013 - 19:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Seems to be a collection of new tracks on a compilation release from Crepusculo Negro. Not entirely sure if these are all the songs it'll contain but the ones available are damn good!

Listen
15.07.2013 - 15:54
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.06.2013 at 19:54

Seems to be a collection of new tracks on a compilation release from Crepusculo Negro. Not entirely sure if these are all the songs it'll contain but the ones available are damn good!

Listen

I was wondering what the BTC was up to. I thought they just up and vanished.
23.07.2013 - 00:11
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I suppose they've been busy with RH, live shows, and of course, making us all some brilliant new music so we can order it from them and never receive it (source - numerous accounts of various individuals who have ordered directly from them). I hope some reliable distros get the tapes when they hit. I guess if Ajna has copies of all three formats it's being released on, there should be no risk in spending the cash, since I really want these.
13.02.2014 - 12:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Missed out an a Crepusculo Negro release last year. Sounds like an absolute stonker too! Not surprising seeing as it's headed by one of the members of Muknal.

26.03.2014 - 21:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
22.07.2014 - 13:33
mz
Exclusive stream of two tracks + interview with Volahn on CVLT NATION .
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
02.08.2014 - 23:35
mankvill
First time I'm hearing about this. Seems awesome!
03.08.2014 - 00:32
Ilham
Giant robot
Oh yeah I forgot about this thread. I don't like the whole idea of forming a little club like that. I find it snotty and only reminds me of those stupid LLN bands that never released anything valuable. This group seems to focus more on quality, but seriously, drop it with the tapes and the mystery. The whole thing just reeks of corny and kvlt elitism. I am able to judge a band on its music alone, no need to add all that crap around that doesn't impress me.
03.08.2014 - 00:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I agree the tape thing is a nuisance; if you're going to do tapes offer CDs as an alternative. As for everything else I see no issue with it. They don't preach any ideas or extol rumours, they've just chosen anonymity as an aesthetic. Nothing different about that than any other physical or conceptual make up of any other band. There isn't really even much of a unifying image about them either really, other than maybe adhering to the idea of belonging to the BTC group. I'd much rather bands have no message or image than have one that's overtly silly or preachy.
03.08.2014 - 00:58
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
By the way and the Arizmenda album? Comes or not comes? Any release date or anything?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
03.08.2014 - 00:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Currently listening to the upcoming Black Twilight Circle - Various Artists 2CD compilation album and it really is quite fun.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.08.2014 - 01:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 03.08.2014 at 00:58

By the way and the Arizmenda album? Comes or not comes? Any release date or anything?

Dunno yet. I know the person running Crepusculo Negro has stopped all orders because he / she got themselves really behind with posting stuff out, so presumably the new Arizmenda will be delayed too.
03.08.2014 - 01:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.08.2014 at 00:59

Currently listening to the upcoming Black Twilight Circle - Various Artists 2CD compilation album and it really is quite fun.

Nice, promo copy then?
03.08.2014 - 01:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
From the accompanying bio

"California's Black Twilight Circle are arguably the most important development in American black metal since the dawn of the new millennium. For the past decade-plus, this collective of bands has developed an extremely singular, idiosyncratic sound away from the prying eyes of metal's aboveground, creating its own veritable dialect that, crucially, burns with the ancient flame of black metal. The Black Twilight Circle's vision is an intensely personal and challenging one, and its myriad bands - Volahn, Arizmenda, Kallathon, Blue Hummingbird on the Left, Shataan, Kuxan Suum, Tukaaria, Dolorvotre, Muknal, and Axeman among many others - individually and collectively expand this vision whilst keeping it closely guarded, their incestuous nature a matter of aesthetics rather than necessity. Based around the Crepúsculo Negro label and strictly released on cassette and vinyl formats, the documents to date of the Black Twilight Circle have coursed through black metal's deepest underground, but they've nevertheless enthralled all who've gazed into their peerless wisdom. Still, the metal aboveground has largely ignored this development and perpetuates an outmoded and obsolete history of "USBM."

Alas, the time of reckoning is at hand: THE AJNA OFFENSIVE unveils the definitive Black Twilight Circle statement, TLILTIC TLAPOYAUAK, on 2CD and 3LP formats. Originally released last year in an extremely limited cassette version which quickly sold out, TLILTIC TLAPOYAUAK is now let loose upon a perhaps-unprepared world in its most perfected state, with a 20-page booklet in five-color printing and remastered sound by Arthur Rizk at Solomon's Gate (Inquisition, Power Trip). Hypnotic and hysteric, swirling and cacophonous, stretching to infinity and beyond, TLILTIC TLAPOYAUAK comprises two hours of Black Twilight Circle madness 'n' mania, each exclusive track a sonic spell that opens a new eye and even newer possibility. In addition to the aforementioned hordes, a whole host of new ones - Blood Play, Cempopoloah, In Lakech Ala Kin, and Acualli among others - are unveiled, once again proving that this collective's vision continues to be boundless and daring but ever obedient to black metal's eternal tenets. Taken together, TLILTIC TLAPOYAUAK serves as the Year Zero foundation for the Black Twilight Circle to spread its influence beyond the underground. History begins here.

Tracklisting for TLILTIC TLAPOYAUAK
-Disc 1-
1. Kuxan Suum - Tzolk'in [11:42]
2. Cempopoloah - En el Obligo de la Luna... [9:30]
3. Blue Hummingbird on the Left - Storm [3:13]
4. The Haunting Presence - Dead Souls Scream [4:45]
5. In LakechAlaKin - Ometeotl [6:22]
6. Muknal - Bringers of Filth [8:26]
7. Dolorvotre - Upward Spiraling [6:03]
8. Tukaaria - Nekaroa [4:34]

-Disc 2-
1. Kampilan - Battleof Mactan [13:08]
2. Volahn - Yaxche [5:47]
3. Kallathon - Universe of Constant Ages and in the Mist of Eternity [7:13]
4. Shataan - Born to the Earth, Return Through the Body [6:30]
5. Blood Play - Screams Transcends [6:59]
6. Acualli - Rites of Mockery [2:39]
7. Arizmenda - Rites of Deconsecration [9:03]
8. Axeman - Ride into the Night [10:54]"

The Ajna Offensive will release it.
Release date is 2 September 2014
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.08.2014 - 01:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 03.08.2014 at 01:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.08.2014 at 00:59

Nice, promo copy then?

yeah. Btw just posted the accompanying info, so you can see who is featured.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.08.2014 - 01:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Label bio descriptions always make bands sound absurdly pretentious
03.08.2014 - 01:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.08.2014 at 01:10

yeah. Btw just posted the accompanying info, so you can see who is featured.

Cheers, looks like they've added some new bands to the "circle"
03.08.2014 - 01:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 03.08.2014 at 01:11

Label bio descriptions always make bands sound absurdly pretentious

Indeed. But this one is actually quite normal compared to some bio descriptions I come across
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996