Metal Storm logo
Black Twilight Circle - (USBM collective, kinda like LLN, but good)

Original post

Posted by , 30.11.2012 - 19:44
So yeah, the Black Twilight Circle are a Southern California-based collection, scene, whatever you want to call it, of like-minded black metal bands that seem to be on the Crepúsculo Negro and Rhinocervs labels. Information about them appears to be virtually non-existent. I suppose you could regard it as an American, modern equivalent of Les Légions Noires that comprises some 17 or so odd bands that are either directly part of or at least affiliated with it. The difference is, unlike LLN, is that many, if not the majority, of these bands are excellent and not just predicated on silly rumour and legend along with rubbish music. Stylistically speaking all the bands are relatively raw and rough round the edges, in varying degrees, but their sound tends to focus on dense, layered, sometimes freeform guitars, often quite psychedelic in nature. There's a definite unifying theme amongst them, and it's a very satisfying one that's quite different from the mountains of Darkclones around.

While I can easily choose a favourite, that would be Arizmenda for their sublime 'Within the Vacuum of Infinity...' it's hard to choose from the others which is the most successful, because frankly they'll all so fucking good. I only today realised that Muknal, the closest the group has to a death metal band (and one of my favourite releases this year) is supposedly part of them. You also have Odz Manouk who have the boldest, most direct sound though not too dissimilar to Arizmenda (have to say these would probably be joint second favourite along with Muknal). Dolorvotre and Kuxan Suum being the loosest, most freeform of the lot, often sounding almost improv in nature (particularly in the case of Kuxan Suum's one 17 minute long song EP). Axeman have a distinctly punk-ish vibe and Absum are the doom band of the group (albeit extremely raw sounding doom). The actual Rhinocervs music project appears to change frequently from demo to demo from the accessible slower, more melodic and generally atmospheric to more punishing death tinged black metal. And so on.

Yeah lots of incredible music in this group. Here's a few favourites so you get an idea of their sound. (The Volahn one will have to be watched on youtube itself. Worth it though because the song is amazing)

If these links ever go down there's a bunch of tracks here.
03.08.2014 - 20:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Like Joe said the music seems to be easily available. Hell, even in the form of download albums. So, no need to cry that the releases are limited to cassettes, and to be honest some are also available as vinyl.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.08.2014 - 20:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I dunno, in this day and age there are thousands of new albums readily available to be heard ever year and new bands to discover. I honestly don't care about setting aside the time to investigate bands that don't at least make some effort to meet me halfway. Nobody is losing sleep over lost sales obviously or they'd undoubtedly make some changes to their marketing approach, but I'm not losing any knowing a bunch of random Americans are releasing black metal tapes that I probably won't ever listen to.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.08.2014 - 20:55
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 03.08.2014 at 20:40

Looks pretty available to me =p http://crepusculonegro.bandcamp.com/

Granted that's not a complete list, but there's also the list of bands on the compilation and I'm pretty sure a few minutes of perusing the label page will divulge much information. The fact is there are lists out there, and here you are on a page with all the pertinent info and probably all the bands associated with it. I don't make any excuses for the uselessness of the label but bad labels and lack of available releases is hardly a new thing to black metal.

Well this is supposed to be a group merging the bands from two labels. If the labels aren't doing their job, what's exactly the point of the group? Now, those songs are available to listen to on bandcamp, sure, otherwise they would be almost nothing about the group on the internet. That's what I'm saying.
But you know Joe, I really don't care. I'm just answering to you, but I will most likely only keep my ears pricked for what Muknal does.
The fact I had to go through a whole forum thread, the whole stuff on bandcamp, bad quality videos on yt and various pages on MA to gather the tiniest, slightest idea of what this group is as a whole, shows they make the most interested and most curious person work far too much to get the most basic informations. I mean I was never reluctant to do that, especially ten years ago when the internet wasn't the best source of information for things like that. But it isn't 1986. I'm not going to run around looking for a fanzine and a copy of a tape. We have means to gather information and fans easily without compromising that image they are trying to build, and they're not doing it. It not being new doesn't mean I have less of a problem with it.
03.08.2014 - 21:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well the Black Twilight Circle thing is a theme. No reason for it to be categorised like that, that's just information you will find a you explore the labels. It really doesn't take much to hunt through the label, or check through the rosters on MA and check other bands the members have been in. Personally I like the treasure hunting aspect and the information needed is out there to find. A lot of people and labels like the modernised tape trading feel so I don't think it's uncommon. As I say I think it's as much about people's entitlement issues to information being fed to them as it is about pretentious bands
03.08.2014 - 21:17
Ilham
Giant robot
Fine, if after all the nuanced arguments I gave you, you still think it's entitlement, nevermind. I just think the "relationship" you build with fans is important and the labels have to take part it in, and that involvement can be as little as being a little clearer about what you're marketing.
03.08.2014 - 21:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't just think it's about entitlement, I think it's also about tastes and motives, of people and bands / labels. People are into mystery, anonymity, old-school formats etc. Methods of marketing tie into that. Not everyone wants to hear on their twitter about every time a band takes a poo, have sent to them 15 samples they released from one album and be offered digipacks and nothing else. Clearly this kind of thing is not marketed toward people that like that kind of thing. I don't see the problem with that. That's the relationship some fans want and like because they like doing the leg, and ear, work themselves as they enjoy the aesthetic it entails.
03.08.2014 - 22:09
Ilham
Giant robot
Sure, but you know there's a sea of moderation between the over marketed media-junkie band, and this. You're painting a little too black and white, there's also a difference between extremely lazy fans and making them work for every little piece of information.
03.08.2014 - 22:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If the music had wider appeal I might agree, but it doesn't. This is niche stuff no matter how you cut it so I don't think better marketing would even benefit them that much anyway. I honestly had no trouble tracking down their music though so I think you're exaggerating the visibility and availability of the bands, and that was before 80? of the bands were up on the Crepusculo Negro and Rhinocervs bandcamps.
03.08.2014 - 22:31
Ilham
Giant robot
I conceded the music is available enough a few posts ago. I am talking about general information. But this is going back to the original question. This is niche so they market it for the twenty people that will listen to it because it is niche. The loop is closed.
03.08.2014 - 22:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well, yeah, the information isn't available because they choose not to make it available =P that's kind of their thing.
03.08.2014 - 22:38
Ilham
Giant robot
I think I have understood that since the beginning .
04.08.2014 - 17:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 03.08.2014 at 15:22

Written by BitterCOld on 03.08.2014 at 02:52

Jebus at the nonsense Marcel posted. will check out the bands, sure enough, but agree with the notion of dropping the silly pretentious crap. if you want anonymity, i'm all for it... just let the music do all the talking.

If the music is all you care about then why does their image bother you? "Let the music do all the talking" sounds like rhetorical nonsense to me. If you make the effort to post about a band's image then clearly you care about how a band presents themselves.

short version. the music matters. and while I, for the most part, don't care about the image, when it is horribly over the top pretentious i find it offputting. i have a limited time to take in new stuff, and with plenty of existing tunes that i know i like readily at my disposal, reading absurd proclamations by artists/labels might steer me to focus my "check out new shit" time elsewhere in exactly the same manner annoying tv commercials steer me away from whatever they are trying to sell.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.08.2014 - 19:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If you're so easily swayed by label bios then I suggest never checking them as the one Marcel posted is pretty endemic to metal as a whole I've found. Hardly the end of the world at any rate.
04.08.2014 - 19:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 04.08.2014 at 19:00

If you're so easily swayed by label bios then I suggest never checking them as the one Marcel posted is pretty endemic to metal as a whole I've found. Hardly the end of the world at any rate.

Like I saidd this one is even one of the more subdued and normal ones I have come across. Usually they are way more outrageous.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.08.2014 - 21:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Guess i'm lucky in that the ones i seem to get, whether from bands or labels seem more on point. will get around to checking these out in a bit, still owe some reviews.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.08.2014 - 03:39
Galar
Wicked Mung
RHINOCERVS!!!
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
23.08.2014 - 23:56
moonflash

Rhinocervs are nightmarishly good. Nice demonic sound, haunting vocals and cosmic ambient bits. I'm hooked.

----
[http://atthematinee.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/voyagedans.jpg]
21.09.2014 - 23:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Volahn track even gives the new Arizmenda track a run for its money.

21.09.2014 - 23:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
It seems btc are doing more clean producted and interesting experimental stuff lately instead of those noisy black metal a la LLN
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
21.09.2014 - 23:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 21.09.2014 at 23:15

It seems btc are doing more clean producted and interesting experimental stuff lately instead of those noisy black metal a la LLN

It's definitely not as raw. Still though I don't think their sound was ever really like LLC, which seems to be more classic, punky lo-fi BM, rather than the more freeform stuff BTC have always done.
22.09.2014 - 02:39
Mattybu

Written by Guest on 21.09.2014 at 23:02

New Volahn track even gives the new Arizmenda track a run for its money.

Dude, pretty damn good actually, and that artwork is probably the most metal thing ever.
22.09.2014 - 12:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mattybu on 22.09.2014 at 02:39

Dude, pretty damn good actually, and that artwork is probably the most metal thing ever.

It's pretty nice. I kind of want to lick all the men's clothing.
27.09.2014 - 05:11
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Anyone else got the compilation album?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
16.10.2014 - 12:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So good, never heard of this project before.

30.01.2015 - 01:47
Maco
Pvt Funderground
All this shit is so good omg.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
30.01.2015 - 05:02
Lit.
Account deleted
Still loving that compilation.
07.02.2015 - 12:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I finally did part of my work with this group (took barely a couple fo hours?) and I must say I'm in love with the group's consistent take on mythology from central america.
And music... shit, outstanding. Volahn's sophomore is blowing me away. The songwriting is just brilliant.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.02.2015 - 12:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Welcome!
07.02.2015 - 13:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 07.02.2015 at 12:57

Welcome!

So what do I get? Cookies? A welcome fruit basket?

.... A welcome sacrificed hearts basket?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.02.2015 - 13:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.02.2015 at 13:02

.... A welcome sacrificed hearts basket?

Sounds like the cutest Valentine's day gift ever.