Band: Corrupted
Album: Llenandose De Gusanos
Style: Doom metal, Sludge metal
Release date: 1999

Disc I
01. Sangre / Humanos
Disc II
01. El Mundo

If someone should ever feel the need of rewarding an "most patient band in the universe"-award, it should definitely go to Corrupted. And while that particular someone is at it, he might as well reward them the "heaviest band in the universe" award too. Oh, and if that particular someone is also reading this review I'd like to nominate the same Corrupted for the "greatest musical ideas of post-1995"-award. Surely they deserve all these, though there are of course various definitions of "heavy".

About that last award, there are of course multiple amazing, young bands in today's (Extreme) metal scene. And while combining hell and heaven in your album might not be completely original, the way they perform it surely is unique. From the most blissful areas of heaven they have taken their ethereal piano style, which will grace your ears for an uncompromising, tranquilizing seventeen minutes (Corrupted knows no 'haste'), and from the inner circle, the deepest abyss of hell, where the Beast himself does not even dare to set foot, they have taken their pulverizing sledgehammer riffs, vocals and unearthly heavy atmosphere.

As mentioned, the album opens up with over a quarter of an hour of delicate piano, with Japanese spoken vocals slowly fading in. After that the delicacy is over and what remains is relentless pummeling lead-heavy riffs, drowned in a deliciously sludgy distortion, and the utmost brutal vocals. They are not so much vocals, but rather deeply growled words. Massively deep. Together with the minimalistic drums it all plods along for a while, trudging and sloshing through the swamps of existence, until something surprising happens. The piano returns.

And that is when the finest moment of the already glorious album begins. Or well, is about to begin. As I said, we're not in a hurry. Slowly the guitars will retreat and the piano, drums and vocals remain. And suddenly, the mind's eye sees what is going on here. The ethereal atmosphere of the piano is now breaking through in an all-enlightening, blissful ray of light. A ray of light that expands and expands. It brightens the world and shines down with glorious destruction on the Beast, which cannot bear such joyous surroundings. A wonderfully portrayed epic dual between good and evil. Roaring, moaning, growling; the Beast struggles against its fate but the light shall overcome. After an impressive last surge of power it is finally overtaken and the world can continue its gray and pointless existence, which is envisioned in the second disc, a minimalistic drone song that will not appeal to everyone.

Perhaps it will not work for you this way but it surely did for me. Every time I play this album, the aforementioned scenes slowly pass my mind's eye and I am taken to another world. If you are a fan of the extreme forms of Doom and have a vivid imagination, you may feel the same. Get anything full-length that released by Corrupted, as they are absolutely worthy of the money spent. Absolute gold, I can assure you.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 02.11.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 0   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 25 users

Hits total: 3799 | This month: 4