Metal Storm logo
Speed Metal - Your definition?

08.12.2012 - 05:07
Delvestius

I was just curious as to what others would describe speed metal as. Personally, I believe Motörhead was the first group to take what metal was (what we today call Doom metal) and make it faster pace, by introducing some punk influence. Some names of what I consider Speed metal are Accept, Warlord, Metal Church, Rage and Judas Priest. To me, it represent s a perfect balance between power and thrash, both of which are primarily spawned from Speed metal. Thoughts?
08.12.2012 - 06:20
Clockwalker

I don't know. I always thought speed metal riffs weren't quite as chaotic sounding as thrash riffs but they still kind of sounded like thrash riffs. Judas Priest has some speed metal riffs and I think a lot of the riffs on Ride the Lightning sound more like speed metal then thrash. "Exciter", "Freewheel Burning", and "Painkiller" by Judas Priest sound like speed metal to me. "The Call of Ktulu" and "Escape" sound more like speed metal to me then thrash too even though Metallica wrote them.

I think a lot of metal can be easily distinguished by the riffs. Speed metal riffs are fast but not quite as heavy as thrash metal riffs. That's not a perfect definition but it's what I go by.
08.12.2012 - 07:04
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Fast as fuck Heavy metal.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.12.2012 - 18:29
Lit.
Account deleted
I've always thought of it as a precursor to thrash metal. You have bands like Nitro, Anvil, Running Wild, Agent Steel, Exciter and Rage. Many later thrash bands would be influenced by some of those bands. They also weren't as venomous lyric-wise as thrash metal would be, some having glam metal style lyrics.
08.12.2012 - 21:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Speed metal is fast, its like thrash early sound of thrash , werry fast, powerfull , there is not many speed bands, speed canb also be HM, PM, TM, depends, but Metallica kill em all , Anthrax old one Blind Guardian 1th 2 albums, maybe X Wild since band plays HM but do it werry fast ....
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.12.2012 - 00:13
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Any sort of metal that plays a fast tempo in general.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
22.12.2012 - 12:38
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Personally, i feel it is a genre that doesn't need to exist. For me those speed metal bands or albums are just a link between Heavy and Thrash. It's much easier just to say 'early' Thrash Metal. Most metal is fast, so speed metal doesn't work.
23.12.2012 - 03:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dark Cornatus on 22.12.2012 at 12:38

Personally, i feel it is a genre that doesn't need to exist. For me those speed metal bands or albums are just a link between Heavy and Thrash. It's much easier just to say 'early' Thrash Metal. Most metal is fast, so speed metal doesn't work.

I agree and it dont exist, there is fiew bands who play in this style nowdays, it was more in 80's when bands just discovere something new and muisc was not so heavy to be thrash and lil hevayer and faster for HM
----

apos;'
[image]
23.12.2012 - 08:45
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 23.12.2012 at 06:12

I thought it was metal for junkies

Nope. There may be stoner metal, but speed metal isn't necessarily for people on speed.

Not sure if you were serious or not, but it's still a funny thing to think about either way.
----
10.03.2013 - 03:10
skrog1

Speed Metal and Thrash Metal are the same thing imo.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
10.03.2013 - 10:17
bkrownd

Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 03:10

When I was a kid in the 80's I called all the "fast" bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Dark Angel, Death Angel, etc "speed metal". At the time they were so far up-temp from mainstream metal it seemed really obvious. I don't think I heard the term "thrash" until the mid-90's.
10.03.2013 - 13:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by bkrownd on 10.03.2013 at 10:17

When I was a kid in the 80's I called all the "fast" bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Dark Angel, Death Angel, etc "speed metal". At the time they were so far up-temp from mainstream metal it seemed really obvious. I don't think I heard the term "thrash" until the mid-90's.

That's weird you didn't hear the term thrash metal until the mid Nineties. I already heard it soon after Kill 'Em All was let loose on the world in 1983. But the term thrash metal was used interchangeably with the speed metal at the time.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.03.2013 - 13:53
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.03.2013 at 13:43

That's weird you didn't hear the term thrash metal until the mid Nineties. I already heard it soon after Kill 'Em All was let loose on the world in 1983. But the term thrash metal was used interchangeably with the speed metal at the time.

I didn't know much about genres and styles either until I could connect to internet.
10.03.2013 - 15:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I heard thrash metal before I know what is speed, i heard speed because of sat radios like total rock and shows midnight dynamite, crsuhers metal mayhem etc, when I dug deeper I read and heard story about speed metal and thrash same time
----

apos;'
[image]
10.03.2013 - 22:22
skrog1

That's exactly what I recall as well.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
22.03.2013 - 06:03
nasmith

Written by Delvestius on 08.12.2012 at 05:07

I was just curious as to what others would describe speed metal as. Personally, I believe Motörhead was the first group to take what metal was (what we today call Doom metal) and make it faster pace, by introducing some punk influence.

Dude, not all metal before that was doom, although many of Black Sabbath's songs on their first four albums are considered doom (e.g., "Black Sabbath," "Electric Funeral").
25.03.2013 - 18:58
Dante24

I think that speed metal does not exist,and if it was existed,it was played by Agent Steel...
25.03.2013 - 21:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dante24 on 25.03.2013 at 18:58

I think that speed metal does not exist,and if it was existed,it was played by Agent Steel...

then we saying BM dont exist and if it was exieted it was played bny Venom .....
----

apos;'
[image]
26.03.2013 - 05:08
Dante24

Written by Bad English on 25.03.2013 at 21:41

Written by Dante24 on 25.03.2013 at 18:58

then we saying BM dont exist and if it was exieted it was played bny Venom .....

I'm not saying this in that way...just think that all the trash/speed/power bands in the 80's were called speed metal...bands like Flotsam,Forbiden,Annihilator,Helloween later were labeled as power or thrash....but Agent Steel were disbanded early after some works,so the only band labeled as speed is Agent Steel ;-)
27.03.2013 - 14:18
Jtbmetal123

Speed metal has to be extremely fast played like thrash metal.
29.03.2013 - 00:13
squidrick420

Because of the ambiguity of the term, speed metal can easily be left to personal interpretation. To me, I use it somewhat interchangeably with thrash, however I still think of it as a separate entity. In some cases bands like Agent Steel and Motorhead stand out as being speed metal and not thrash; although certain albums like Slayer's Show No Mercy and Megadeth's Killing is My Buisness could be considered thrash or speed metal depending on how you look at the terms.