Metal Storm logo
Megadeth - No Longer On Roadrunner Records

American thrash metal legends Megadeth announced that they have parted company with Roadrunner Records through band leader Dave Mustaine who tweeted: "Today marks the end of an era with Roadrunner. Hopefully we can finish strong with a Grammy."

Mustaine had previously voiced his discontent in 2009 through an online post: "Kudos, Roadrunner, the is the first worldwide critically acclaimed record by the press, and the fans, and you just can't seem to get this right. This is the first time that everyone likes a record of mine, and you can't get us on the radio or into the stores. I can't tell you how many stores I go into while on tour and I see nothing. And all I hear from [Roadrunner] is, 'We are committed to the record'. My ass."

Later he also hinted that the 2011 album would be the last to be released under Roadrunner.

The band has been with Roadrunner Records since the release of the 2007 album United Abominations and then went on to release two other studio albums through the label, Endgame in 2009 and last year's Th1rt3en, which earned them a Grammy nomination for the song "Whose Life (Is It Anyways?)".

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Megadeth
Posted: 11.12.2012 by Cynic Metalhead

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 31   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 293 users
11.12.2012 - 13:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Irritable Ted on 11.12.2012 at 13:21

Probably start his own label like Metallica did last week. Rattlehead Recordings, Rusty Records?

Metallica has much more money to do it , how Megadeth..... they can sighn whit some other major lable
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.12.2012 - 14:19
BudDa

Quote:

I can't tell you how many stores I go into while on tour and I see nothing.

Is that reason to be pissed at a label. Does the album have to be at every single store?
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
11.12.2012 - 14:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Dave really is delusional when he said this "This is the first time that everyone likes a record of mine, and you can't get us on the radio or into the stores."

First off, but Peace Sells and Rust In Peace were universally liked by press and fans alike when they were released. And secondly Endgame was all over the place in all sorts of record stores. I don't know which stores he visited when on tour, maybe stores that just sold good music, well, yeah then it is only logical Endgame wasn't stocked since that album was mediocre.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.12.2012 - 14:21
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I LOLed when seeing how important the Grammy is for Dave.
11.12.2012 - 14:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 11.12.2012 at 14:21

of course it is, because Metallica won one ages ago.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.12.2012 - 14:28
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.12.2012 at 14:23

now I LOL that Metallica cares for Grammys.
11.12.2012 - 14:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 11.12.2012 at 14:28

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.12.2012 at 14:23

now I LOL that Metallica cares for Grammys.

Metallica didn't really care for it when they won one in the late 80s or early 90s. But you know Dave he still can't let go of his brief Metallica past. He's still trying to emulate them. Even though he says he's over it all. But when you listen to his interviews and read his autobiography you'll see he's still struggling with Metallica each and every day of his life.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.12.2012 - 14:38
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

Metallica didn't really care for it when they won one in the late 80s or early 90s. But you know Dave he still can't let go of his brief Metallica past. He's still trying to emulate them. Even though he says he's over it all. But when you listen to his interviews and read his autobiography you'll see he's still struggling with Metallica each and every day of his life.

I know about the neverending competition between them; the fact that both bands care about awards like Grammy is hilarious, yet cringe-worthy.
11.12.2012 - 14:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 11.12.2012 at 14:38

I know about the neverending competition between them; the fact that both bands care about awards like Grammy is hilarious, yet cringe-worthy.

actually the competition isn't really between the two of them it comes from just one side, from cry-baby Mustaine's I just love how obssessed he still is about them 29 years after being kicked out of the band. And I also LOVE how he makes his contributions to early Metallica bigger then they actually are. It actually surprises me he hasn't called himself a founding member yet But then again that would be mightily stupid of him since he doesn't even feature on the first recording of the band which featured on the first pressing of Metal Massacre I
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.12.2012 - 15:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Pitwulf93 on 11.12.2012 at 15:00

How funny would it be if they get signed by Blackened

----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.12.2012 - 15:45
Orphan Saint
Account deleted
@Pitwulf93, Dude, I wouldn't be surprised. To Dave I'm sure it would be just like rejoining the band. I guess it all depends on how the old boys in Metallica voted in November.
11.12.2012 - 16:16
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

actually the competition isn't really between the two of them it comes from just one side, from cry-baby Mustaine's I just love how obssessed he still is about them 29 years after being kicked out of the band. And I also LOVE how he makes his contributions to early Metallica bigger then they actually are. It actually surprises me he hasn't called himself a founding member yet But then again that would be mightily stupid of him since he doesn't even feature on the first recording of the band which featured on the first pressing of Metal Massacre I

members of both bands pick on each other in interview and so on.
11.12.2012 - 16:34
Sword_Chant

I heard news and rumors sometime ago that Roadrunner were either bankrupt, or are in a financial downfall to what they were. Possibly another reason to change labels lol wonder if they will choose Nuclear Blast as their label.
11.12.2012 - 17:43
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Sword_Chant on 11.12.2012 at 16:34

I heard news and rumors sometime ago that Roadrunner were either bankrupt, or are in a financial downfall to what they were. Possibly another reason to change labels lol wonder if they will choose Nuclear Blast as their label.

Yea, Roadrunner went bankrupt and were bought by Warner Music Group (i.e Warner Bros.) and Warner closed a shit load of their offices worldwide (including the original Dutch homebase). Which is probably why their distro a little short handed.

As Marcel indicated Mustaine is a pompous ass who still to this day is trying to outdue Metallica. Honestly, in terms of playing more consistent music, Mustaine has won but popularity wise he'll never beat Metallica and he can't handle that. And I hope that Nuclear Blast does not pick him up, they'd probably have to drop a bunch of bands to be able to pay for Mustaine's ego alone.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

11.12.2012 - 17:45
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Probably, they would ended it up signing with "Phantom Record" or "Century Media".
11.12.2012 - 18:59
Sword_Chant

Written by psykometal on 11.12.2012 at 17:43

Yea, Roadrunner went bankrupt and were bought by Warner Music Group (i.e Warner Bros.) and Warner closed a shit load of their offices worldwide (including the original Dutch homebase). Which is probably why their distro a little short handed.

As Marcel indicated Mustaine is a pompous ass who still to this day is trying to outdue Metallica. Honestly, in terms of playing more consistent music, Mustaine has won but popularity wise he'll never beat Metallica and he can't handle that. And I hope that Nuclear Blast does not pick him up, they'd probably have to drop a bunch of bands to be able to pay for Mustaine's ego alone.

Kinda ashame cause there were some decent bands on the label.. also Mustaine has quit his drugs/drinking apparently. Don't think that's changed the ego though

Yeah I don't think Nuclear Blast would suit them either. Maybe a label of their own would be more suiting.
11.12.2012 - 19:26
Opethian

Written by Irritable Ted on 11.12.2012 at 13:21

Probably start his own label like Metallica did last week. Rattlehead Recordings, Rusty Records?

More like 'Ginger Records'
11.12.2012 - 19:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by psykometal on 11.12.2012 at 17:43

NO, Roadrunner did NOT go bankrupt. Cees Wessels just got a huge offer by Warner he just could not decline.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.12.2012 - 19:38
@gent_-_orange

Written by Pitwulf93 on 11.12.2012 at 15:00

How funny would it be if they get signed by Blackened

Please let this happen.
11.12.2012 - 19:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.12.2012 at 19:38

NO, Roadrunner did NOT go bankrupt. Cees Wessels just got a huge offer by Warner he just could not decline.

Ah ok, the news I read about it coupled with the steadily decreasing roster over the last several years made it seem like they were going down and he only took the offer to save himself from losing everything if Roadrunner went past the point of no return.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

11.12.2012 - 19:50
Winterthrone

Santorum Records signs Megadeth! XD
11.12.2012 - 22:35
Draven Edge

I would have to say that, over the years, Megadeth has been a solid favorite, don't get me wrong, some songs I can't stand (Prince of Darkness, Moto-Psycho), but overall they have produced some amazing metal over the years. If someone were to say to me "I've never heard metal before, where should I start" My answer would be Megadeth, their album Rust in Peace, to this day, still "slays". In regards to Megadeth songs, "In My Darkest Hour" is an epic masterpiece. Megadeth's live performances over the years that I've attended were instrumentally tight (though Dave's vocals have faded to the point that I don't think I'll see them live again....sorry man, you can still play guitar like a demon though) but I've seen them six times, and since Marty left (my favorite guitarist) Megadeth hasn't really been the same for me. Anyway I liked some of the material on United Abominations, but 'Endgame' and and '13' I found extremely boring. As a matter of fact (and unbelievably) I downloaded '13' when it first came out, listened to it, and totally forgot it existed, that's just freakin crazy. But then I listened to it again and realized why I had put it out of my mind. So hopefully their label change will encourage them to return to creating music that 'impacts'. Definitely liked it when the band consisted of Menza, Friedman, Ellefson and Mustaine.
11.12.2012 - 23:21
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Dave cant get enough of the drama...
Barely any radio stations in America plays metal anymore and if they do its usually a special one hour only thing so you really cant blame roadrunner for that.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
11.12.2012 - 23:21
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Dave cant get enough of the drama...
Barely any radio stations in America plays metal anymore and if they do its usually a special one hour only thing so you really cant blame roadrunner for that.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
12.12.2012 - 01:34
Machiavelli
Account deleted
I look at Megadeth the same way I look at Westminster Abbey... beautiful art fueled by insane deluded immensely talented fools.
12.12.2012 - 11:32
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Come on...there's like, a endless sea of label companies around the globe owned by The Big Three. They'll reach an agreement with another label sooner or later. So for the time being, it's like choosing whether to go to McDonald's or Burger King to have a burger and a drink.
12.12.2012 - 11:40
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 12.12.2012 at 01:34

I look at Megadeth the same way I look at Westminster Abbey... beautiful art fueled by insane deluded immensely talented fools.

Post of the day, surely!
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
12.12.2012 - 23:05
Sword_Chant

Written by Monolithic on 12.12.2012 at 11:32

Come on...there's like, a endless sea of label companies around the globe owned by The Big Three. They'll reach an agreement with another label sooner or later. So for the time being, it's like choosing whether to go to McDonald's or Burger King to have a burger and a drink.

Gotta be Burger King
13.12.2012 - 09:06
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Sword_Chant on 12.12.2012 at 23:05

Written by Monolithic on 12.12.2012 at 11:32

Gotta be Burger King

Agreed.
13.12.2012 - 10:06
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by Ace Frawley on 12.12.2012 at 11:40

Written by Guest on 12.12.2012 at 01:34

Post of the day, surely!

Cheers, Ace!

Hits total: 3671 | This month: 7