Metal Storm logo
Portal - New Song Streaming Online, Tracklist Revealed

"Curtain", a brand-new song from Australian extreme metal act Portal can now be exclusively streamed on Pitchfork.

"Curtain" comes off of the band's upcoming album Vexovoid, due out February 19th through Profound Lore Records. More album details were previously reported here and here.

Vexovoid tracklist:

01. Kilter
02. The Back Wards
03. Curtain
04. Plasm
05. Awryeon
06. Orbmorphia
07. Oblotten

Source: pitchfork.com
Band profile: Portal
Posted: 13.12.2012 by J. N.

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 28   Visited by: 119 users
13.12.2012 - 21:28
J. N.
Account deleted
Sounds massive as ever.
13.12.2012 - 21:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Indeed it does.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.12.2012 - 21:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Since when has Profound Lore fused with Southern Lord and has become Profound Lord Records?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2012 - 21:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.12.2012 at 21:45

Since when has Profound Lore fused with Southern Lord and has become Profound Lord Records?

The ultimate hipster label no doubt.
13.12.2012 - 21:50
J. N.
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.12.2012 at 21:45

Oh, shush.
13.12.2012 - 21:59
Paz

It was damn good.
13.12.2012 - 22:04
theFIST

Seems like their sound stayed closer to the previous album than usually
Swarth was great already, so i"m certainly looking forward to the rest of it
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
13.12.2012 - 22:18
Void Eater
Account deleted
Sounds more like "normal" death metal to me, but its still really good. Definitely anticipating this album.
13.12.2012 - 22:49
Vombatus
Potorro
Less chaotic than older stuff.... maybe wrong, been a while since I last listened to them.
13.12.2012 - 23:36
Apatheria

After a repetitive, unimpressive intro, the song really picks up. By the song's midpoint, the listener has been hurled into a pulsating vortex of insanity and chaos; which is exactly what one expects when listening to a Portal song. They've still got it, folks.

My most anticipated release of 2013 so far.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
13.12.2012 - 23:44
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Damn that's good
14.12.2012 - 04:49
Portal delivers
14.12.2012 - 15:55
King Bonzo

Sounds more like an actual song than an assault on the senses than the stuff on Swarth. I dig it.
14.12.2012 - 21:54
Candlemass
Defaeco
"Source: pitchfork.com"
WTF?! lol
14.12.2012 - 22:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Candlemass on 14.12.2012 at 21:54

WTF?! lol

Why does that surprise you? Pitchfork have plenty of metal on their site.
14.12.2012 - 22:52
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Guest on 14.12.2012 at 22:39

Written by Candlemass on 14.12.2012 at 21:54

WTF?! lol

Why does that surprise you? Pitchfork have plenty of metal on their site.

Black metal and doom metal are now somewhat trendy, so they review 'em.
Pitchfork to me is (still) indie kingdom.
tho, I remember reading once a decent metal review there...
14.12.2012 - 23:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Candlemass on 14.12.2012 at 22:52

Well Portal are probably about the most hipster-ish death metal band in current existence (it's on Profound Lore after all) so I'm not at all surprised to see them on there.
14.12.2012 - 23:59
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Guest on 14.12.2012 at 23:53

Written by Candlemass on 14.12.2012 at 22:52

Well Portal are probably about the most hipster-ish death metal band in current existence (it's on Profound Lore after all) so I'm not at all surprised to see them on there.

I took them to be kinda 'kvlt'. I guess that's the new hipster stuff. The new track sounds good BTW.
15.12.2012 - 00:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Candlemass on 14.12.2012 at 23:59

I took them to be kinda 'kvlt'. I guess that's the new hipster stuff. The new track sounds good BTW.

Well as I've often said with regard to much metal, it's not the band that is hipster, it's much of the fanbase and how people flock to them. Portal have everything that hipsters would want; the look, the extreme "cool" sound and they're on the right label etc. and when a band becomes unusually big for its sound then that's because of hipsters. Merzbow, Sunn O))), Deathspell Omega, Portal, Wolves in the Throne Room etc. all hipster-prone if you ask me.
15.12.2012 - 00:34
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Guest on 15.12.2012 at 00:03

Written by Candlemass on 14.12.2012 at 23:59

Well as I've often said with regard to much metal, it's not the band that is hipster, it's much of the fanbase and how people flock to them. Portal have everything that hipsters would want; the look, the extreme "cool" sound and they're on the right label etc. and when a band becomes unusually big for its sound then that's because of hipsters. Merzbow, Sunn O))), Deathspell Omega, Portal, Wolves in the Throne Room etc. all hipster-prone if you ask me.

Nice analysis.
15.12.2012 - 00:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 15.12.2012 at 00:03
Well as I've often said with regard to much metal, it's not the band that is hipster, it's much of the fanbase and how people flock to them. Portal have everything that hipsters would want; the look, the extreme "cool" sound and they're on the right label etc. and when a band becomes unusually big for its sound then that's because of hipsters.

Exactly... It's not the band but the fanbase. Quite a curious phenomenon which never stops to amuse me.
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.12.2012 - 00:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.12.2012 at 00:44

Exactly... It's not the band but the fanbase. Quite a curious phenomenon which never stops to amuse me.

Indeed. The amount of people that try to tar WitTR with the hipster brush because they actually think the band are/have hipster motives is an endless source of amusement.
15.12.2012 - 01:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 15.12.2012 at 00:52
Indeed. The amount of people that try to tar WitTR with the hipster brush because they actually think the band are/have hipster motives is an endless source of amusement.

Exactly! I never (well, almost never) laugh at the hipster fanbase... The funniest people are definitely the kvlt ones who shun bands like WITTR for being hipster without knowing shit.
For example this fella a couple of years younger than me who works half time at a cd store just whines about bands being true or not. Like Mayhem are absolute sell-outs and a shame for all BM and specially his god Euronymous! They are just for the money now and blablabla... let alone bands like Satyricon or Darkthrone who wanted to do something else. Obviously there's no irony in the fact that he's ok with the drastic changes in non-bm bands or the best moment when I asked him "would it be okay if Darkthrone released the later albums under another name?" and he said yes! Oh man I was so close to just drop my poker face and laugh. Oh... and USA shouldn't be messing around with BM!

MAN... kvlt people, the funniest around.
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.12.2012 - 01:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.12.2012 at 01:00

Exactly! I never (well, almost never) laugh at the hipster fanbase... The funniest people are definitely the kvlt ones who shun bands like WITTR for being hipster without knowing shit.
For example this fella a couple of years younger than me who works half time at a cd store just whines about bands being true or not. Like Mayhem are absolute sell-outs and a shame for all BM and specially his god Euronymous! They are just for the money now and blablabla... let alone bands like Satyricon or Darkthrone who wanted to do something else. Obviously there's no irony in the fact that he's ok with the drastic changes in non-bm bands or the best moment when I asked him "would it be okay if Darkthrone released the later albums under another name?" and he said yes! Oh man I was so close to just drop my poker face and laugh. Oh... and USA shouldn't be messing around with BM!

Ironically it's people with those attitudes who could actually be regarded as hipsters. People that only think unknown bands with a limited fanbase are "True." If Wolves had never garnered the success they had I very much doubt the term "hipster" would be thrown at them so much. Try explaining that to someone of that nature though.
16.12.2012 - 16:00
Sumentaa

The "Hell" Portal is opened. Damn good
----
Thy soul shall find itself alone
'Mid dark thoughts of the grey tomb-stone;
Not one, of all the crowd, to pry
Into thine hour of secrecy.
"Spirits of the Dead-Edgar Allan Poe"
20.12.2012 - 18:23
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Guest on 15.12.2012 at 01:03

Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.12.2012 at 01:00

Ironically it's people with those attitudes who could actually be regarded as hipsters. People that only think unknown bands with a limited fanbase are "True." If Wolves had never garnered the success they had I very much doubt the term "hipster" would be thrown at them so much. Try explaining that to someone of that nature though.

Eric Hoffer - "Nonconformists travel as a rule in bunches. You rarely find a nonconformist who goes it alone."
20.12.2012 - 18:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Candlemass on 20.12.2012 at 18:23
Eric Hoffer - "Nonconformists travel as a rule in bunches. You rarely find a nonconformist who goes it alone."

Hopefully you won't think of me as being too dumb to follow but I didn't quite get both the quote and how it applies here.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.01.2013 - 05:26
GutturalNinja

What's the big deal about a non-stereotypical metal fan listenning to such bands? I'd understand why someone unfamiliar with the crudeness and raw sound of Darkthrone or Suffocation would first show interest in Deathspell Omega and Ulcerate instead. I know most people that have commented on here would agree with this but I thought I'd share anyway. As someone else said, that kind of unidirectional elitism can get pretty ironic.

Hits total: 5874 | This month: 5