Metal Storm logo
Christian Metal bands that don't suck?

Original post

Posted by chronic-headache, 20.12.2012 - 04:30
Preferably no metalcore (demon hunter, AILD, etc... are out)
I know of theocracy, but the vocals are almost too cheesy for me (and I'm a huge power metal fan). Mortification is another one I'm aware of, but they don't really do it for me. Somthing a little more extreme than theocracy would be good though.
29.02.2020 - 13:26
Metal Rasputin
There's surprisingly many good bands out there, extreme or not. Here's few that come to my mind:
-The first two records of thrash metal band Deliverance are awesome.
- Ever heard of Whitecross? It's basically Ratt with Christian lyrics like they did in that one South Park episode. If you get past the terrible shitty lyrics, it's awesome copycat glam metal with sick shredding. Rex Carroll is one crazy guitar virtuoso.
- Sacred Warrior I personally really like, especially their late 80's and early 90's records. They're more prog metal like Queensrÿche, if I remember correctly. With this type of bands the lyrics tend to be less annoying and easier to swallow.
- Narnia. It's neoclassical power metal. I love it.
- Ever heard Against The Law by Stryper? My favorite album of theirs.
- Saint, especially their 80's albums like Too Late for Living. This is your basic awesome 80's heavy metal with lyrics about hell, sin and damnation, not that basic sugary choir boy stuff. Christian metal doesn't get much more accessible than this. I didn't even know they were anything like that until I read somewhere much later.
- Then there's bands like Tourniquet, Believer, Vengeance...
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
31.03.2020 - 14:10
wesepein
Written by Metal Rasputin on 29.02.2020 at 13:26

There's surprisingly many good bands out there, extreme or not. Here's few that come to my mind:
- Ever heard of Whitecross? It's basically Ratt with Christian lyrics like they did in that one South Park episode. If you get past the terrible shitty lyrics, it's awesome copycat glam metal with sick shredding. Rex Carroll is one crazy guitar virtuoso.
- Sacred Warrior I personally really like, especially their late 80's and early 90's records. They're more prog metal like Queensrÿche, if I remember correctly. With this type of bands the lyrics tend to be less annoying and easier to swallow.
- Saint, especially their 80's albums like Too Late for Living. This is your basic awesome 80's heavy metal with lyrics about hell, sin and damnation, not that basic sugary choir boy stuff. Christian metal doesn't get much more accessible than this. I didn't even know they were anything like that until I read somewhere much later.

Pretty cool.
06.04.2020 - 11:15
no one
Zao - Where Blood And Fire Bring Rest
----
Unable to connect to the database
27.04.2020 - 06:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Been a while since I've listened to Zao but based on some old memories, I would second that response.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.01.2021 - 09:17
Gothic Metalhead
Pro Introvert
The only band I listened to that has had Christian elements is Saviour Machine. They're pretty much a gothic metal band with prog and symphonic elements. Their debut album is very heavy on the Christian elements. However, that album is fantastic and I recommend that album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg_8_5Px9Ao
09.11.2022 - 22:06
TheTrueLHC
Watch this !

🤯

Taking the power back from death.

16.11.2022 - 12:17
JoHn Doe
Written by Metal Rasputin on 29.02.2020 at 13:26

Good list. Tourniquet, Deliverance, Narnia, Stryper, Believer, even Sacred Warrior (again cringy lyrics at times) have put out some good music. I don't think i know the band Vengeance (I wonder how many bands called Vengeance are out there, if i remember right Arjen Lucassen was in band called Vengeance before he made Ayreon ).

True about Whitecross, they sound a lot like Ratt. Their lyrics are cringy preachy in a distasteful way, ruins otherwise their decent hard & heavy sound, great guitarist indeed.

Barren Cross is another band to recommend. Well crafted heavy/power with a good vocalist.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
14.12.2022 - 16:01
Crème fraiche
Would Angra be considered Christian Power Metal? Zao rules also, no one! I remember Demon Hunter had some decent material years ago; I haven't kept up though.
23.12.2022 - 18:53
Joppe
Steelemeister
Matthias Steele

Real nice sounding -- quite unknown and rare? -- band. I have only just listened to the debut and it sounds really promising. Came for the Steele, stayed for the music -- and steele

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Matthias_Steele/75440

----
My vision is augmented
14.03.2023 - 22:29
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by Guest on 23.12.2022 at 19:38

That Matthias Steele album is a real gem. Kinda Overkill sounding thrash with very memorable technical riffing and creative vocal melodies. Better than most thrash metal albums that are considered "classic".

Yeah, a great one, I finally listened to it a few times throughout, hence a late reply. Manilla Road vibes in the production. Check especially the song Father Has Risen. Kicked my ass
----
My vision is augmented
15.04.2023 - 13:04
JoHn Doe
Written by Guest on 15.04.2023 at 03:50

npZgYHhWA1U

Great Christian doom-thrash album, mistagged as death doom.

I'll definitely explore this band's work, thanks for bringing them to everyone's attention.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
15.04.2023 - 17:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oh yes, Seventh Angel, the doom thrash metal band.
That mix always gets me.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.05.2023 - 20:28
I grew up on Christian metalcore, though I no longer live in that little world. I am, however, still a huge fan of Zao.
07.08.2023 - 12:29
TheCrazyGoat
The only Christian metal band that do not suck is Stryper. I love those guys.