Metal Storm logo
Graveland

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 19.05.2006 - 12:35
Just starting a thread for Graveland.

What does everyone think of this band? I like them coz Darken creates some great music. I like the music, but not the ideology behind it. Favourite album is probably The Fire Of Awakening or the last release Fire Chariots Of Destruction.
13.10.2006 - 13:51
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I dunno, I quite like Graveland, but I've never been able to get 'into' it, yknow.
14.10.2006 - 17:07
Basso
Account deleted
I have listened to Carpathian Wolves and Fire Chariots of Destruction and I found it rather boring. Not bad, but nothing specacular either.
17.10.2006 - 17:03
FOOCK Nam
I have the Thousand Swords, but I dont feel it is viking metal, it has epic quality, if it is viking metal, it doesnt like the viking metal of other bands like Windir, Wintersun or Ensiferum. This is underground band, he, Darken, played raw metal before and then turned to new stuff. hard to get into Graveland. Maybe I should try its early stuff.
17.10.2006 - 18:19
Basso
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 17.10.2006 at 17:03

I have the Thousand Swords, but I dont feel it is viking metal, it has epic quality, if it is viking metal, it doesnt like the viking metal of other bands like Windir, Wintersun or Ensiferum. This is underground band, he, Darken, played raw metal before and then turned to new stuff. hard to get into Graveland. Maybe I should try its early stuff.

Wintersun?? thats not very viking at all.
18.10.2006 - 17:18
FOOCK Nam
Written by Guest on 17.10.2006 at 18:19

Wintersun?? thats not very viking at all.

Well, if u listen to Battle Against Time, u can hear some part of the song, sung by clean vocal, I refer those part is like viking metal,similar to Windir, , moreover Wintersun also use lead guitar to insert when vocal sing in their song, typical for Battle Against Time and Winter Madness, also similar to Windir. Though I didnt mean Wintersun is viking metal as whole, I just meant they have a little bit some kind of viking metal in their music, I only feel the music . Their lyric is not related to viking, of course. But they have some folk elements, and viking metal and folk metal always are linked in general
18.10.2006 - 18:22
Basso
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 18.10.2006 at 17:18

Well, if u listen to Battle Against Time, u can hear some part of the song, sung by clean vocal, I refer those part is like viking metal,similar to Windir, , moreover Wintersun also use lead guitar to insert when vocal sing in their song, typical for Battle Against Time and Winter Madness, also similar to Windir. Though I didnt mean Wintersun is viking metal as whole, I just meant they have a little bit some kind of viking metal in their music, I only feel the music . Their lyric is not related to viking, of course. But they have some folk elements, and viking metal and folk metal always are linked in general

well I get your point, still I wouldnt go as far as to call it viking.

well anyway, what is the best graveland album? I am asking the Graveland fans this time. I want to give this band another shot.
19.10.2006 - 10:53
FOOCK Nam
Written by Guest on 18.10.2006 at 18:22

Written by FOOCK Nam on 18.10.2006 at 17:18

well I get your point, still I wouldnt go as far as to call it viking.

well anyway, what is the best graveland album? I am asking the Graveland fans this time. I want to give this band another shot.

I have only the Immortal Pride and the Thousand Sword, just know that Graveland changed their style from raw to epic, in my opinion I rate the raw stuff better
14.11.2006 - 18:55
Ruines
Account deleted

Viking-era : pretty much all of them are good. Though the ones that stand out are Fire of Awakening and Dawn of iron Blades.

Black metal-era : I enjoy Following the voice of blood better but it has some kinda pre-viking era hints that makes it not entirely trve black so if you enjoy rawness i'd go with thousand swords.
14.11.2006 - 19:06
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.11.2006 at 18:55

Viking-era : pretty much all of them are good. Though the ones that stand out are Fire of Awakening and Dawn of iron Blades.

Black metal-era : I enjoy Following the voice of blood better but it has some kinda pre-viking era hints that makes it not entirely trve black so if you enjoy rawness i'd go with thousand swords.

I heard the albums "Fire chariots of destuction" and "Carpathian Wolves" before, and I was not the least impressed. But yesterday I heard "Immortal Pride" and that album was fucking brilliant. I will definitly give it more spins!
14.11.2006 - 19:24
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.11.2006 at 19:06

I heard the albums "Fire chariots of destuction" and "Carpathian Wolves" before, and I was not the least impressed. But yesterday I heard "Immortal Pride" and that album was fucking brilliant. I will definitly give it more spins!

Try Dawn of Iron Blades. It has more of a Immortal Pride feel than Fire Chariots of Destruction.

Well, in fact, get the song "To the North of Rubicon" from DoIB which is the greatest Graveland song ever imo.
Glad you enjoy Immortal Pride.
27.11.2006 - 02:26
Highlander
Account deleted
Iron In The Fog is one of the best Graveland tracks IMO.
18.01.2007 - 12:33
Judas
The Amputator
I like the music quite a lot. Rob Darken may be a dickhead ideologically, but look, he's not telling us to go and kill Jews with his music, like Knjaz Varggoth. It's the same situation as Burzum. The music kicks ass, who cares if the guy is mentally challenged in other ways?

My two favourites are 'Immortal Pride' and 'Fire and Awakening', I don't like the raw stuff as much.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
19.01.2007 - 00:14
Milan
Account deleted
From Graveland I have only heard Immortal Pride. I was looking for some new bands and I came across ROb Darken and I thought I hear what kind of music may a "moron" like him (I know this is very "rude" but I can't think of any other word to describe Rob Darken-he's a nazi and racist, which in these days I think it's quite moronic) and it turns out that it isn't so bad. Infact it's great. Immortal Pride is a great album. It has a very epic feel in it. I'm not a very bid black metal fan (except for Enslaved and some other bands) and I don't think I wanna hear his black metal albums but I sure like to check out the later albums.
19.01.2007 - 01:43
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Can't seem to get enough of this band these days. Thousand Swords is an album which I continue to listen to every day for the last three months. Amazing album. Also have Carpathian Wolves, Immortal Pride and Creed of Iron. All top notch stuff. Quite like their more Black Metal-like releases compared to the more Hammerheart-like stuff although they still have that Black Metal tough to them..

@Milan, Rob Draken's political statements don't make too much sense generally speaking but that doesn't take anything away from his music.. Quite fascinating stuff once you get into it.. Maybe Creed of Iron is more your style.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
25.01.2007 - 18:25
chuckie
Account deleted
Ive been looking to get my hands on carpathian wolves but havent been able to find it prollie 'cuz stores dont want to be linked to darken's fucked beliefs on race
25.01.2007 - 22:36
Himann
Orm KrigGud

Well generally speaking, Thousand Swords generally comes under their Black Metal era rather than Viking Metal although it does have a Bathory like touch to it (Bathory's Viking era I mean). Anyways many people differentiate Viking Metal in terms of content although I feel it should be more Bathory based..

Anyway, the earlier you go in their albums, the more Black Metal it is. Carpathian Wolves specially is more like a raw version of Moonspell.. If you prefer their more epic Viking like thing then Immortal pride and Creed of Iron are the albums you should look for. Thier main influences are Bathory and Burzum rather than Windir, Wintersun or Ensiferum..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
25.01.2007 - 22:40
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Guest on 14.11.2006 at 19:24

Written by Guest on 14.11.2006 at 19:06

Try Dawn of Iron Blades. It has more of a Immortal Pride feel than Fire Chariots of Destruction.

Well, in fact, get the song "To the North of Rubicon" from DoIB which is the greatest Graveland song ever imo.
Glad you enjoy Immortal Pride.

Creed of Iron too is somewhat similar to Immortal Pride in general sound but there are subtle differences in the albums once you hear them alot.
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
01.02.2007 - 22:17
Basso
Account deleted
Oh Graveland has come to grow on my a great amount. And the albums I have enjoyed alot the recent time is "Carpathian Wolves", "Following The Voice of Blood", "Immortal Pride" and "Fire Chariot Of Destruction". Great albums.

Oh and I recommend everyone to check out Nokturnal Mortums cover on the Graveland song Thurisaz, its incredible.
02.02.2007 - 17:55
Himann
Orm KrigGud
@Basso, Some time back you said, "I have listened to Carpathian Wolves and Fire Chariots of Destruction and I found it rather boring"

I know the feeling. Once it starts hitting you and you get used to, ur hooked. Anyway try to get Creed of Iron, Thousand Swords and In the Glare of the Burning Churches as well. This band are well worth it..

Will check out the Nokturnal Mortem cover if I can but no high hopes on it though..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
02.02.2007 - 18:07
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Himann on 02.02.2007 at 17:55

@Basso, Some time back you said, "I have listened to Carpathian Wolves and Fire Chariots of Destruction and I found it rather boring"

I know the feeling. Once it starts hitting you and you get used to, ur hooked. Anyway try to get Creed of Iron, Thousand Swords and In the Glare of the Burning Churches as well. This band are well worth it..

Will check out the Nokturnal Mortem cover if I can but no high hopes on it though..

I know, I thought almost all of Gravelands releases except Immortal Pride was boring before. But damn they grow like parasites on me. I will definitly check out more from this man.

I get the feeling you do not enjoy Nokturnal Mortum ^^. Well dont worry, this cover is awesome.
02.02.2007 - 18:57
Himann
Orm KrigGud
You're right lol. Nokturnal Mortum is far from my favorite band but will check the cover anyway. A Graveland cover anyway should be good..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
03.02.2007 - 14:07
CoffinSpirit
Account deleted
I have only a few songs of them and i dont really find anything that would make me to listen them again.I have heard stuff like that
a thousand times before so i am not really surprised by them..
And i want to ask something...The guys belong to NSBM right?
03.02.2007 - 14:09
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.02.2007 at 14:07

I have only a few songs of them and i dont really find anything that would make me to listen them again.I have heard stuff like that

Well they do share NS believes, and they are supporters of the pagan front. So yes you could consider this NSBM
05.02.2007 - 08:50
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Guest on 05.02.2007 at 03:48

Written by Himann on 02.02.2007 at 17:55

I still think Creed of Iron is the best one myself, it has this really nice feeling the other newer albums don't.

Yep most of their more recent albums after Creed of Iron haven't really lived up to some of the older stuff.. Creed of Iron is definitely a special album and it was the first I heard from them. These days though, Immortal Pride is my favorite..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
05.02.2007 - 08:57
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Guest on 03.02.2007 at 14:09

Written by Guest on 03.02.2007 at 14:07

Well they do share NS believes, and they are supporters of the pagan front. So yes you could consider this NSBM

I guess you could, but Draken quite publicly says that they are not NSBM so go figure lol..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
05.02.2007 - 10:51
Hermanubis
Account deleted
"I have the Thousand Swords, but I dont feel it is viking metal, it has epic quality, if it is viking metal, it doesnt like the viking metal of other bands like Windir, Wintersun or Ensiferum. This is underground band, he, Darken, played raw metal before and then turned to new stuff. hard to get into Graveland. Maybe I should try its early stuff."

"Wintersun?? thats not very viking at all."

Thats because Wintersun, Windir and Ensiferum are far more power metal oriented than black metal.
05.02.2007 - 12:28
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Guest on 05.02.2007 at 10:51

"I have the Thousand Swords, but I dont feel it is viking metal, it has epic quality, if it is viking metal, it doesnt like the viking metal of other bands like Windir, Wintersun or Ensiferum. This is underground band, he, Darken, played raw metal before and then turned to new stuff. hard to get into Graveland. Maybe I should try its early stuff."

"Wintersun?? thats not very viking at all."

Thats because Wintersun, Windir and Ensiferum are far more power metal oriented than black metal.

Windir, Power Metal? Don't know what you've been listening to, but they're pretty straight Viking/Black Metal to my ears.

As for the Nokturnal Mortum cover of 'Thurisaz', I'll have to check it out, I really like Nokturnal Mortum (again, for the MUSIC, I find their white-power/anti-Semitism beliefs despicable) and it would be interesting to hear them play something by Graveland.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
05.02.2007 - 23:07
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
if i give the miss the fact that the man is hiding behind Graveland is a Neonazi, i would recommend how great band is. Fire chariots of destruction really amazed me
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
06.02.2007 - 04:30
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Guest on 05.02.2007 at 10:16

I haven't heard Fire Chariot of Destruction, but The Fire of Awakening and Memory and Destiny are both fine albums indeed, whereas Dawn of Iron Blades wasn't so good...? And of the Black Metal stuff, Following The Voice of Blood is the best one of the earlier ones for me, I really really love that album a lot almost as much as Creed of Iron. It's funny but, when I first heard Graveland I didn't like it all but I listened to The Fire of Awakening over and over again for like a week straight and after that I thought to myself I really really love this shit eh

I haven't heard The Fire of Awakening yet. Is it one of the earlier ones or the later ones?? I agree about Following the Voice of Blood. Amazing album. I like almost all of their early albums as well except perhaps Celtic Winter which I felt was comparatively weak although it was an ok listen..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
06.02.2007 - 11:30
Hermanubis
Account deleted
"Windir, Power Metal? Don't know what you've been listening to, but they're pretty straight Viking/Black Metal to my ears."

Sorry, meant Wintersun and Ensiferum.