Metal Storm logo
Candlemass - Voted Best Band In Sweden Ever

Scandinavia's biggest music magazine, Sweden Rock Magazine, has voted doom metallers Candlemass the best band in Sweden ever. In issue 100 (to be released on January 8th), 40 rock/metal journalists have voted on the 100 best Swedish bands through time, and Candlemass came in as number one.

Bassist Leif Edling commented: "This is truly incredible. What an honour! After nearly 30 years of playing, we get this amazing award. I never expected it when they called me. I was totally taken by surprise and had to pinch myself. It could have been Opeth, In Flames, Europe or Entombed, but they choose us! I can't believe it! We must have done something right."

"We recorded some classic albums in the 80's, but other bands did that too. Maybe it is what we've done lately that gave us this award? The newer albums have all been very well received, so perhaps it is what tipped the scale over to our advantage when you look at the entire period? After 28 years in the business we still make great albums. This is an incredible honour that gives our career the ultimate reward!"

Leif smiles and continues: "I feel fulfilled and proud. Mappe, Jan, Lars and I have been busting our asses for so many years now, and it means everything to us, this award! We don't have to do long tours anymore, we don't have to release an album every year or so, we need no Grammy nominations. We have nothing more to prove! We are the best band in Sweden of all time, for god's sake! We can relax now!"

"Well... lately the phone has been ringing like crazy, so there's no time to rest just yet, hehe! We got lots of gigs coming up next year, the Sweden Rock Magazine party on Jan 25th plus a whole bunch of cool shows, including... hopefully... an Ancient Dreams special anniversary show in Stockholm next fall/winter. It would be great if we could do that!"

"So, a sincere and heartfelt thanks from Candlemass to all our fans that have stood by us all these years... all of you that bought our records and came to the shows... and of course all of the journalists that voted for us! We love you all!"

Number two on the list are death metallers Entombed with Europe on number three.

Both Candlemass and Entombed will perform on two special concerts at Sweden Rock Magazine's 100th-issue party at Debaser Medis in Stockholm, Sweden on January 26th, 2013.

Candlemass recorded a heavy version of Entombed's classic song "To Ride, Shoot Straight And Speak The Truth". This marks vocalist Mats Levén's first official Candlemas recording since he took over from the recently departed Robert Lowe. Entombed are doing a cover of Candlemass' song "Black Dwarf" from 2005's comeback album Candlemass. These covers will be performed live at Sweden Rock Magazine's 100th-issue party. Ticket information here.

Source: candlemass.se
Band profile: Candlemass
Posted: 28.12.2012 by Account deleted

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 65   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 246 users
28.12.2012 - 16:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Auntie Sahar on 28.12.2012 at 16:51

Yeah, but as far as which band contributed more to the development of Swedish metal as a whole, it's gotta be Bathory. But that's alright though, because really, how often do bands get the credit they're fully do?

imo and that of loads of others Candlemass are just as influential as Bathory, and at least Candlemass didn't start off as a rip off band whereas Bathory's first couple of released songs were 100% Venom rip offs
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 17:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 16:31

Actually Dream Death started off around the same time as Candlemass so there was extreme doom around

It took you a while to remember that one!

I dunno, maybe it's cos I'm from the UK, but certainly when I was younger, Candlemass were talked of as an underground, extreme band in our press. Nonetheless, extreme or not, Candlemass have never exactly been a mainstream band. At least not when compared with some of the other bands in that Classic Rock list. And the same can certainly be said of Entombed, who most certainly are, (Although I'm sure there are some who will debate on whether that tag still applies to them now, but it definitely once did) an extreme band. Perhaps if I lived in Sweden, this wouldn't be such a surprise... I dunno, maybe some Swedes can chime in here! But certainly from my view, having those two bands topping such a list in a mainstream rock mag is very surprising to me.
28.12.2012 - 17:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.12.2012 at 17:16

I dunno, maybe it's cos I'm from the UK, but certainly when I was younger, Candlemass were talked of as an underground, extreme band in our press.

of course, because UK metal press were totally crap back then, only okay press was Metal Forces. And still most UK metal press is dodgy at best. Only okay zines are Zero Tolerance and Iron Fist currently.
And the UK fans were crap as well. The UK was the only place in Europe where Motley Crue didn't have to cancel gigs because of low ticket sales.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 17:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Candlemass were never really underground to be honest. hell they played Dynamo Open Air in 1987 in front of 22,000 people with only six bands playing that day on one stage.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 17:54
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I think in the metal world, Candlemass is the Swedish band that deserved this award the most. They are the most consistent and influential Swedish metal band ever. Bathory was already riding the Hellhammer and Venom wave while Candlemass created what I still consider to be the best Doom album ever recorded, you know which one that is.

Still, knowing how these votes go, I'm surprised that Hammerfall and In Flames are not places 2 and 3, and that Entombed is so high on the list.
28.12.2012 - 17:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 28.12.2012 at 17:54

I think in the metal world, Candlemass is the Swedish band that deserved this award the most. They are the most consistent and influential Swedish metal band ever. Bathory was already riding the Hellhammer and Venom wave while Candlemass created what I still consider to be the best Doom album ever recorded, you know which one that is.

well, actually Candlemass were already the Black Sabbath and Trouble wave, especially Trouble when they recorded their first stuff. Leif Edling even said as much in interviews over the years
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 18:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 17:59

well, actually Candlemass were already the Black Sabbath and Trouble wave, especially Trouble when they recorded their first stuff. Leif Edling even said as much in interviews over the years

yeah I figured that too. Knowing other bands like Saint Vitus in the same time frame or Sabbath around 15 years before them, I don't consider them to be purely original, but when it comes to quality and influence, I think most people should agree that Candlemass is the band that deserves that award.
28.12.2012 - 18:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 14:54

Doom has never been regarded as extreme metal except for some extreme doom.
Back in the day when Candlemass started they were regarded as melodic metal, same for Trouble and such.
Even in context Candlemass don't play any sort of extreme metal.

if anything, considering the growing thrash/speed movement, Candlemass were a step away from extremity when they came out. i recall reading in an interview with one of the Seattle grunge bands that they loved the band after hearing "Gallow's Pole" was on local college rock stations.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.12.2012 - 18:13
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This thread is pretty hilarious

I've never even heard Candlemass to be honest.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.12.2012 - 18:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 17:21
of course, because UK metal press were totally crap back then, only okay press was Metal Forces. And still most UK metal press is dodgy at best. Only okay zines are Zero Tolerance and Iron Fist currently.
And the UK fans were crap as well. The UK was the only place in Europe where Motley Crue didn't have to cancel gigs because of low ticket sales.

Well, for all I know, Candlemass may have been big elsewhere, but they certainly never got much press over here. Entombed were sort of semi-well known because of the death metal boom of the early 90's, but even that didn't last very long. I think the problem with the UK, is the press, even the metal press, is usually geared to what's trendy at the time. It's more about trends than anything else. So if you weren't interested in the trends, it was quite difficult to find out about bands outside of that. Although Terrorizer was a good mag for bands outwith the trendy circle. Though even that mag now has become a bit trendy.

It's okay now, because of the net, but back then, it wasn't easy to keep abreast of what was going on metal-wise outside of the trend bubble. I think that's why I tended to buy non-UK metal mags to get my metal news from. Certainly, if Candlemass were big in other parts of Europe, I was unaware of it. They were hardly covered at all over here back in the 80's and 90's.
28.12.2012 - 19:05
Mountain King
K i K o
Entombed and Candlemass? More like Europe, Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, Andromeda, Dragonland...
28.12.2012 - 19:07
@gent_-_orange
None of those bands are anywhere close to either Entombed or Candlemass.
28.12.2012 - 19:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by @gent_-_orange on 28.12.2012 at 19:07

None of those bands are anywhere close to either Entombed or Candlemass.

my thoughts exactly especially the ones he named after Europe
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 19:25
exomorphyx89
Totally agree! All their releases are masterpieces except for Dactylis and 13th Sun in my humble opinion... sorry but I am a fuckin' purist metalhead.

Hail Candlemass!
----
"Bang you head against the stage and metal takes its place..."
28.12.2012 - 19:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by exomorphyx89 on 28.12.2012 at 19:25

Totally agree! All their releases are masterpieces except for Dactylis and 13th Sun in my humble opinion... sorry but I am a fuckin' purist metalhead.

Hail Candlemass!

Dactylis and 13th Sun are imo far far far superior to the horrendously bad album Candlemass released this year
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 19:54
Mattybu
I don't think Candlemass is the best band from Sweden although they are really good... But it must be a slow news day on metal storm when the news is rankings from a magazine haha.
28.12.2012 - 20:14
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.12.2012 at 18:13

I've never even heard Candlemass to be honest.

Then go listen to Epicus Doomus Metallicus and repent your sins.
28.12.2012 - 20:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Alakazam on 28.12.2012 at 20:20

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 16:53

imo and that of loads of others Candlemass are just as influential as Bathory, and at least Candlemass didn't start off as a rip off band whereas Bathory's first couple of released songs were 100% Venom rip offs

Now I still haven't been arsed with Venom yet as I should, but what was that whole story with them and Bathory over their similar sound an actual genuine plagiarism? Wasn't it simply really because of Quorthons ignorance to them at the time? Personally I find Bathory as the ultimate Scandinavian artist for me so far... I think both them and Candlemass equally just had a bad mid/late 90's streak, yet how that magazine didn't even show Bathory at all is one hell of a bitch please statement coming from me..

Quorthon said years he had never heard Venom, which is highly unikely since Venom were a well-known metal band at the time and those first couple of tracks by Bathory sound like pure Venom
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.12.2012 - 05:23
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Alakazam on 28.12.2012 at 20:20
Personally I find Bathory as the ultimate Scandinavian artist for me so far... I think both them and Candlemass equally just had a bad mid/late 90's streak, yet how that magazine didn't even show Bathory at all is one hell of a bitch please statement coming from me..
See the third highlighted link, in the opening paragraph? I believe that's a pic of the magazine cover... see Candlemass in big letters there, then Heavy Load underneath - look under "Load" to find Bathory. ...I had been thinking, perhaps exclusion cos the main guy[s] died, but... nope

After all this pish-posh, almost 30 years for Candy (congrats on both counts) and about 10 years of MS - this site still does not feature the band that did The Spooky Gloom? ...Wwwhy?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
29.12.2012 - 07:54
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by gid on 28.12.2012 at 14:00

Written by M C Vice on 28.12.2012 at 13:20
Like the BeeGees were Australian, not British (which I've seen a few times) and the good Aussie tradition of claiming any famous Kiwi as our own.

And you can have Rolf Harris back as well if you like.

Aww, can't you guys keep him?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
29.12.2012 - 09:03
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 13:40

Written by M C Vice on 28.12.2012 at 13:20

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 13:12

Written by M C Vice on 28.12.2012 at 12:59

Sinergy is from Finland, not Sweden

Formed in Sewden. One of the two founding members was Swedish. Based in Sweden for their first 2 years. 3/5 of the first lineup was Swedish. Beware The Heavens was Swedish.
I know they're listed here as Finnish and were based there from late 99 but they were originally Swedish.

MA also lists them as FInnish and as location Helsinki And as far as I know there aren't any Swedes part of the band any more.

King Diamond has been based in America since (I think) the late 90s but are still Danish (only King is Danish, though), so a band can relocate while still being considered as from their original country. Darkestrah was listed here as German for a while (they're originally from that 'stan country I can't spell). Let's just say Sinergy are duel-national and move on.
(back on topic) I'm suprised no one's mentioned Opeth or any of the Gotherberg bands yet.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
29.12.2012 - 17:33
gid
Written by M C Vice on 29.12.2012 at 07:54

Written by gid on 28.12.2012 at 14:00

And you can have Rolf Harris back as well if you like.

Aww, can't you guys keep him?

Damn. We're never going to get rid of him.
29.12.2012 - 17:40
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I think I had a Candlemass cd back in the late 80's and I know they are credited as being one of the founding fathers of doom metal but their is nooo waaay they are "better" than Opeth, gtfo. This seems more like a "lifetime achievement award".
----
rekt
29.12.2012 - 17:47
thundercunt
Account deleted
No love for my brothas arckanum, marduk, or unleashed
sall good tho, a brotha can undastand why candlemass make tops on a chart like dis one
they bin around forever and wrote sum great albums
29.12.2012 - 21:00
exomorphyx89
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 19:27

Written by exomorphyx89 on 28.12.2012 at 19:25

Hail Candlemass!

Dactylis and 13th Sun are imo far far far superior to the horrendously bad album Candlemass released this year

It's a matter of perspective my friend... however I must say that even though I like so much almost all Candlemass releases, the best were released during the Messiah Marcolin-era.
----
29.12.2012 - 23:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by exomorphyx89 on 29.12.2012 at 21:00

It's a matter of perspective my friend... however I must say that even though I like so much almost all Candlemass releases, the best were released during the Messiah Marcolin-era.

nope, the best was the debut and that was without Messiah
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.12.2012 - 23:49
exomorphyx89
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.12.2012 at 23:25

Written by exomorphyx89 on 29.12.2012 at 21:00

nope, the best was the debut and that was without Messiah

Ouch! That was a low blow man... you're right, the debut is among the best and has brilliant vocals from Johan. This round was for you.
----
30.12.2012 - 00:38
Cream
Account deleted
Are there known attacks from outraged Opeth fans towards the magazine company?
30.12.2012 - 01:45
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight

Still, knowing how these votes go, I'm surprised that Hammerfall and In Flames are not places 2 and 3, and that Entombed is so high on the list.

Can't understand why people consider Bathory a copy-cat... Venom played a sort of guttural NWOBHM, Hellhammer combined thrash metal with early death and black metal, they sound completely different, not to mention that all these 3 bands were born in entirely different places.

Maybe Venom, Hellhammer and later Celtic Frost paved the way for the future black metal scene, but it is also true that Bathory released one of the most influential black metal album, and maybe the album that triggered the Norwegian black metal scene, Under the Sign of the Black Mark back in 1987.

Like any band, Bathory had ups and downs, though albums like Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods, Blood on Ice, Blood Fire Death or Nordland I & II are albums that have absolutely no equal, never heard of bands that could even get close to the feeling these albums deliver. Not to mention The Return and the self-titled debut album, pretty much insane records. I think we are way too quick to dismiss Bathory, while their contribution for the development of the extreme metal we know today is tremendous.

I am happy that Candlemass got the award, but I do not consider them as influential as Bathory.
30.12.2012 - 12:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 30.12.2012 at 01:45

Can't understand why people consider Bathory a copy-cat... Venom played a sort of guttural NWOBHM,

have you actually heard the two tracks by Bathory on the Swedish Metal Attack compilation?
If there ever was a Venom rip-off thiose two tracks certainly are.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 5901 | This month: 22