Metal Storm logo
Album Recommendations 2013 - Non-Metal

Original post

Posted by IronAngel, 01.01.2013 - 15:12
!J.O.O.E.! stole my topic two years in a row now, so I'll steal his!

I couldn't ask for a better start. My all-time favorite slowcore band, Low, are coming up with a new album and it's already leaked.

25.01.2013 - 23:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Ludovico Einaudi record. And who doesn't like Ludovico Einaudi. No one that's heard his music, that's for sure.

26.01.2013 - 00:31
IronAngel

Written by Guest on 25.01.2013 at 23:14

New Ludovico Einaudi record. And who doesn't like Ludovico Einaudi. No one that's heard his music, that's for sure.

Gah, ninja. I literally just noticed that album five minutes ago and came here to post about it. Yeah, I highly recommend him for anyone remotely into modern classical and film score stuff.

The Joy Formidable dropped their sophomore. Catchy, larger-than-life, fuzzy alt-rock.

And I think the Finnish Americana band Them Bird Things finally hit the right spot with their third album, Pachyderm Nightmares. Because who doesn't like hanged elephants:
27.01.2013 - 18:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Some other nice stuff I've encountered. Can't be arsed with descriptions, you can just listen to them and decide for yourself. All are on Spotify should you wish to explore further.

Full albums:

Songs:

27.01.2013 - 23:13
IronAngel

Never heard of Filthy Huns, but that was great. I'll have to look into them tomorrow. Mathias Delplanque also seems cool. Mountains bored me a bit with their last album, I doubt this will be different. They lack personality, I feel.

Edit: Also, must express my disappointment at the direction bvdub has taken. The Art of Dying Alone was awesome, the first album I heard a few years ago. The new sound is so flimsy.
27.01.2013 - 23:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I agree, the Mountains one is not particularly amazing. It's passable enough for me though. I rather like the Bvdub one quite a bit though
28.01.2013 - 22:53
IronAngel

Not gonna bother with links (because I found no good samples on YouTube), but ran into two interesting albums tonight: Solarbear Daisuki by Solarbear (catchy chiptune, like Desert Planet or something) and Morte a Credito by La Notte dei Lunghi Coltelli (experimental hardcore punk/noise rock). Both are on Spotify, both are rather strange, both seem to be very obscure debuts.
29.01.2013 - 15:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 28.01.2013 at 22:53

Not gonna bother with links (because I found no good samples on YouTube), but ran into two interesting albums tonight: Solarbear Daisuki by Solarbear (catchy chiptune, like Desert Planet or something) and Morte a Credito by La Notte dei Lunghi Coltelli (experimental hardcore punk/noise rock). Both are on Spotify, both are rather strange, both seem to be very obscure debuts.

That Solarbear is sounding fun. Haven't really thought to look for chiptune this year.
29.01.2013 - 22:28
IronAngel

Going through those with better time, I actually rather liked bvdub (who released like four LPs last year and already two in 2013?), Ulrich Schnauss (no surprises there), Kobol and Ethernet. Added to my list at least tentatively. But Filthy Huns was easily my favorite.

I imagine you'll also like the new Pantha du Prince collaboration with The Bell Laboratory, whoever that is. I love how they continue to make delicate, detailed soundscapes like the best field recording nerds but turn them into danceable tunes:

In other news, The Knife dropped a 9-minute single from their upcoming album. It's gonna be at the top of my year-end list without a doubt. I just love everything they do:

Seems the year starts pretty strong with electronic music.
03.02.2013 - 22:17
Uldreth

MBV was mentioned I believe. Well, it is out!

04.02.2013 - 05:43
adace1

Seconding the MBV, Ludovico Einaudi and Ulrich Schnauss. All are amazing.

Also, the new This Town Needs Guns records is pretty sweet.
04.02.2013 - 23:20
Demerzel

Some pretty neat ambient/electronic stuff. Only one song released so far, though.
Bandcamp

06.02.2013 - 04:20
Edmund Fogg

Dark, Experimental, Enigmatic, Pressing down on your brain... Everything one needs.

Jute Gyte - Metonym

Bandcamp
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
06.02.2013 - 13:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Edmund Fogg on 06.02.2013 at 04:20

Dark, Experimental, Enigmatic, Pressing down on your brain... Everything one needs.

Jute Gyte - Metonym
Bandcamp

Yeah I heard this the other day. They (he?) has changed the sound a lot. Used to be hellish noisy black metal. I think I prefer it like this to be honest.
07.02.2013 - 03:51
Edmund Fogg

Written by Guest on 06.02.2013 at 13:26

Yeah I heard this the other day. They (he?) has changed the sound a lot. Used to be hellish noisy black metal. I think I prefer it like this to be honest.

Woldn't know. Only found out about the band this year with Noctis Labyrinthus (completely different atmosphere). I really enjoy the new direction if its the case.

Btw, I haven't listened to all your recommendations yet. Pretty sure some will speak to me.
----
08.02.2013 - 02:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Rumour has it Deadmau5 will have a new album out soon.

Until that moment.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.02.2013 - 11:32
IronAngel

I'm in love. Just listened to Torres' self-titled debut album. She ranges from traditional singer-songwriter ballads to rocking PJ-Harveyisms and Lisa Germano slowcore angst. Not the best song, but the only live video I could find:
11.02.2013 - 02:17
Edmund Fogg

Warning really explicit lyrics. This guy is a freaking nightmare. Way scarier then any "Gangsta" out there.

Brotha Lynch Hung - Mannibalector

Album available on RDIO
----
11.02.2013 - 22:04
Edmund Fogg

Trip back in time. Great Music that needs way more listens

----
11.02.2013 - 23:40
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Edmund Fogg on 11.02.2013 at 02:17

Warning really explicit lyrics. This guy is a freaking nightmare. Way scarier then any "Gangsta" out there.

You weren't kidding, if Hannibal Lector or Patrick Bateman were into rap this would be their favorite artist. No joke.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

13.02.2013 - 03:13
Edmund Fogg

Written by psykometal on 11.02.2013 at 23:40

Written by Edmund Fogg on 11.02.2013 at 02:17

You weren't kidding, if Hannibal Lector or Patrick Bateman were into rap this would be their favorite artist. No joke.

Pretty much! You can add Ed Gein to the list. At least with Gore Grind or Brutal Death, you know its only for the fun of it since it's pushed real far. This guy... It's more like entering the mind of a serial killer. Job well done as far as I'm concerned.
----
13.02.2013 - 03:47
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Edmund Fogg on 13.02.2013 at 03:13

Pretty much! You can add Ed Gein to the list. At least with Gore Grind or Brutal Death, you know its only for the fun of it since it's pushed real far. This guy... It's more like entering the mind of a serial killer. Job well done as far as I'm concerned.

Well I'm sure this dude is just fuckin' around but yea since rap is typically more rooted in reality than metal it comes off as much more realistic.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

14.02.2013 - 02:48
Edmund Fogg

My friend is back at it again. This time experimenting with Noise and Japanese music. Pretty eerie stuff.

Hautes-Cimes - High Celestial Peaks

Bandcamp

Some really smooth Ambiant Electronica. If all first contact were like this, we would probably be more in the mood for rectal probing

Notfromearth - First Contact

Bandcamp
----
14.02.2013 - 09:13
IronAngel

Föllakzoid is a Chilean psychedelic krautrock/spacerock band. Their new album is pretty sweet, some of that Aluk Todolo vibe without the blistering intensity.

15.02.2013 - 01:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Cool stuff.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.02.2013 - 06:19
Edmund Fogg

Not really into the whole Electro Goth scene, but this really caught my attention.

Men Smash Atoms - S/T

Bandcamp

Instrumental Surf Punk meets Post Rock. A Beautifull trip.

The Respondents - Exploded View

Bandcamp

Quite possibly the greatest cello playing I've heard in some time. I love it when passion is so tangible .

Adam Hurst - Singles & Unreleased

Bandcamp

New Steven Wilson album out on Monday. Simply breathtaking
----
28.02.2013 - 06:18
Edmund Fogg

Ok Anybody else listening to music outside Metal? He re is something I rarely listen to, but these guys are awesome. I usually woldn't touch Club music with a stick, but this just keeps me tied to my chair.

Tonedeff - Glutton

Bancamp
Warning: Lyrics are coarse.
----
01.03.2013 - 00:47
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Club and House music is awesome if you find some good bands!
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.03.2013 - 15:46
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Anyone heard Justin Broad-dick's last effort? Some kind of experimental dub with some casual hip-hop in it. Sounds kinda attractive...

04.03.2013 - 15:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Unhealer on 04.03.2013 at 15:46

Anyone heard Justin Broad-dick's last effort? Some kind of experimental dub with some casual hip-hop in it. Sounds kinda attractive...

Great album but this was released last year.
04.03.2013 - 16:20
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 04.03.2013 at 15:54

Written by Unhealer on 04.03.2013 at 15:46

Great album but this was released last year.

Oops, wrong thread :/