06. Little Stories
07. My Life - My World
08. Sign In The Sky
09. Run Away
10. Fight The Fire
11. Anything
12. Trapped

"Rising High! Unto the sky! Fly so high without fear of falling down!"

Well, well, I've known this CD for about three years, maybe even a bit longer. But only recently it has started getting my attention again. I loved this CD before I got into metal and then kind of forgot about it. A shame that this great CD was collecting dust during all that time because it absolutely didn't deserve it. Now that I've gotten a bit more open-minded to metal and music in general since a few months ago I also decided to give this baby a second chance. Was it a good idea? Fuck yeah!

Hard rock with some slices of melody and added catchiness, in other words, Shakra. Shakra are quite famous here in Switzerland, having supported bands like Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Hammerfall and Stratovarius amongst others. Because really, who doesn't like these crunchy and awesomely catchy riffs? All rather simple but because of that just the more enjoyable. Also the lyrics are simple too, but good because of that.

Don't get the idea that this is a masterpiece though, it's certainly not. This isn't a CD that has enough variation to make you want to listen to it for hours. Nor does it have enough technicality that you can just concentrate on the music and do nothing else without ever getting bored. No, instead this is the album you'll want to put in the player just once in a while, but thoroughly enjoy it when you do. The kind of album that you can listen to while doing other stuff, to make it more enjoyable without having to concentrate on the music too much. And for these things Shakra - Rising is PERFECT!

Awesome riffs and a lot of emotion make this album an absolute gem in it's genre. It's not per se technical at all, but it's audibly made by musicians who have a great time while making their music. Exactly the spirit music should have!

So next time you want to listen to something which doesn't take too much concentration to listen to, give this here a try and enjoy some great hardrock/heavy metal songs like "Rising High," "I Will Be There" and "Little Stories." You most definitely won't regret it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Bas | 02.12.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Malcolm
Rating:
Have you ever heard of "Shakra"? Thought so.
They are very unknown in our Hard Rock world.
But on home ground and in Germany they have grown fast after 2001 years "Power Ride".
"Shakra" is from Switzerland and play a nice Melodic Hard Rock, exactly as their compatriots "Gotthard" and "Krokus". And almost everyone in the band listen to "AC/DC" which you can hear on some parts of the album, but the whole record is more Hard Rock than "AC/DC and less Boogie blues/rock.

Read more ››
published 13.10.2003 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 11 users
02.12.2006 - 23:09
Bas
Retired Staff
i just read that Shakra might be representing switzerland in the eruovision songcontest, that would be so freaking awesome, lordi suck, shakra rule!
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
04.12.2006 - 00:39
Talvi

well, if they win, i hope they don't go selling shakra cola ^^
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
04.12.2006 - 16:34
Ahto

i love this album... i really do!!!
17.12.2006 - 13:56
Bas
Retired Staff
never mind, some gay pop-dude will be representing Switzerland...
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
21.02.2009 - 21:51
Rating: 9
Stormymayday

"Trapped" is one of my fav, songs. it is so heavy

Hits total: 3076 | This month: 6