Metal Storm logo
When metal bands change in a negative manner

08.01.2013 - 10:38
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I hate when that happens: You love a band. What happens? Many of the members are leaving, and what does this lead to? Their next album is a huge disappointment, and their sound is not "that band" anymore.

The danish band Mercenary did that (in my opinion at least). They had GREAT albums, then the lead singer, keyboard player and the drummer quit. The singer nowadays have no chance to sing most of the older songs, so they are not playing them live anymore, and going from a fresh melodic death metal sound, they now sound like a metalcore band.

In your opinion, what other bands have done the same?

(The two first links is the good version of the band)

08.01.2013 - 18:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
When band cut hair .... but seriusly i dunno, when because saeems to me band change personalities, many sinply get merry what is anti metal, have children, many never had been true metalheads but simply play music and leither are bored, getting richer, getting older, each band has its own reason

single forever, forever single is more metal how long hair
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.01.2013 - 22:37
Dinruth

Written by Fallen Ghost on 08.01.2013 at 10:38

I hate when that happens: You love a band. What happens? Many of the members are leaving, and what does this lead to? Their next album is a huge disappointment, and their sound is not "that band" anymore.

The danish band Mercenary did that (in my opinion at least). They had GREAT albums, then the lead singer, keyboard player and the drummer quit. The singer nowadays have no chance to sing most of the older songs, so they are not playing them live anymore, and going from a fresh melodic death metal sound, they now sound like a metalcore band.

just my opinion, but I really like the Metamorphosis album .. a different sound, sure .. but not a bad one
08.01.2013 - 23:34
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Dinruth on 08.01.2013 at 22:37

Written by Fallen Ghost on 08.01.2013 at 10:38

just my opinion, but I really like the Metamorphosis album .. a different sound, sure .. but not a bad one

I'm sure there are many who like that album, but for me it is so totally un-Mercenary.. Now when the leadsinger is no longer there.. Personally it's just a way to big difference from before and today
09.01.2013 - 00:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Dont quote 10 times orginal post whit videos, I cant follow to conversation
----

apos;'
[image]
09.01.2013 - 01:43
john_mcc

Written by Bad English on 08.01.2013 at 18:05

When band cut hair .... but seriusly i dunno, when because saeems to me band change personalities, many sinply get merry what is anti metal, have children, many never had been true metalheads but simply play music and leither are bored, getting richer, getting older, each band has its own reason

Are you seriously suggesting that getting married is "anti-metal"?

Please tell me it was a joke.
09.01.2013 - 01:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by john_mcc on 09.01.2013 at 01:43

Written by Bad English on 08.01.2013 at 18:05

Are you seriously suggesting that getting married is "anti-metal"?

Please tell me it was a joke.

no all what I know what get meeried metal listening from 6h in day turns to 2 h in week ... so
----

apos;'
[image]
09.01.2013 - 02:47
enumaelis

I agree with the Mercenary matter, the first band that came to my mind reading this post was Black Tide
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
09.01.2013 - 12:19
Dinruth

Written by Bad English on 09.01.2013 at 00:49

Dont quote 10 times orginal post whit videos, I cant follow to conversation

you're totally right .. my bad
10.03.2013 - 02:03
skrog1

I mean, Metallica's the obvious one in my opinion. But on a more relevant and "today" topic, I even know about some local bands in my area that have the same problem. Money is almost always the culprit here. Either the band collectively changes their sound and image to get more money (metallica) OR a member or series of members have to leave due to them not being able to afford being in a band anymore. Or they have to take more hours at their day job and just don't have time to be in a band anymore. That was the case with Nile. Their lead singer left for those exact reasons a few years ago. I know Frank's not with Suffo at the moment. It's fucking hard to be in a band. It's a real labor of love, that's for sure.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
26.07.2013 - 11:22
Infernal Eternal

When you give all you got in a certain style, it rational to change style in order not to repeat yourself. Fans don't like this, though.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
08.03.2016 - 22:06
Enteroctopus

Opeth. Mikael really seemed to lose interest in death metal after Blackwater Park. I felt like he actually forced the brutality after that, again for money but in a different way.

I actually like the newest album quite a bit although it is not death metal whatsoever. I feel it is what he/they truly want to do, so whatever. Still, aint My Arms Your Hearse or Still Life anymore!! So that is a negative direction, I would say.

Less brutality more wankage!
15.09.2016 - 04:02
__Mailman

My favorite moment in the history of metal is the NWOBHM. However, a lot of NWOBHM bands go commercial by their second album. Tokyo Blade, Savage, Def Leppard was always commercial, Diamond Head, Witchfynde went 100% commercial by their third album (their second had some glam metal stuff on there), Tysondog. All of these bands (besides Def Leppard) have had phenomenal debut albums and then their other stuff sounded like it was crapped out last minute.