‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]
Users visited: 175  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by on 08.01.2013 at 23:09
Why you still love the old school style in metal music ? Isn't its time over or what ? EDIT: if I have to choose between old school and Modern Music for SURE I will pick the old school one. But the thing I have said here comes from a debate that some metal fellows believe most of old schoolers had lack of knowledge in music those days so they have created that, nowadays we have modern music because of the knowledge improved then albums that have the old school vibes might not be produced anymore, but I still think albums with old school feeling can be produced again and they can be successful too,even in this period of time that seems Modern style has more customers.

Page 6 of 6

Mattybu

12.03.2014 at 01:47
Written by deadone on 12.03.2014 at 00:14

In my opinion it's the same as calling Slayer's Reign In Blood Death Metal simply cause it was such a huge influence on the genre.

Or calling speedier NWOBHM or Hardcore bands Thrash cause they provided such a massive influence on the genre.

Yeah, I guess that's true. I just find sometimes it's more than just influence, because there are actual quantitative components to the album that the influence is being taken from being used EXACTLY the same in the next one. so in a way albums like Reign in Blood are partly death metal, in my opinion anyways. even though if you had to slap a definitive genre on that album it's thrash.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

12.03.2014 at 02:02
Written by Mattybu on 12.03.2014 at 01:47

Yeah, I guess that's true. I just find sometimes it's more than just influence, because there are actual quantitative components to the album that the influence is being taken from being used EXACTLY the same in the next one. so in a way albums like Reign in Blood are partly death metal, in my opinion anyways. even though if you had to slap a definitive genre on that album it's thrash.

Of course there are exact quantitative components being taken from a predecessor - this is what influence is about.

The stylistic difference between the so-called 1st wave of BM and Norwegian stuff is massive.

Venom, Merciful Fate etc is closer stylistically to the early Thrash/Speed/NWOBHM than it is to the Dark Thrones and Mayhems.

And stuff ala Sodom, Destruction, Kreator and Running Wild obviously sits closer in other genre ala Thrash or Speed than it does in Black Metal.

From memory, even Cronos out of Venom didn't think that the music played by the Norwegian lot had anything to do with Black Metal as Venom had intended it.

Doesn't help early 1980s genre definition is borderline useless as the genres didn't have any concrete, defined rules.

In fact here's shameless plug on an article I did that discusses early 1980s metal genres and in particular speed metal:

http://metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=1395
Mattybu

12.03.2014 at 05:10
Yeah, wishy washy stuff back then for sure. I still think that in essence black metal existed before the Norwegian outbreak, but it was split among a bunch of different acts. It just needed to all come together. Which may not make sense but just the way i see it

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]

Login or register to post here.