Metal Storm logo
Why Old School?

Original post

Posted by , 08.01.2013 - 23:09
Why you still love the old school style in metal music ? Isn't its time over or what ? EDIT: if I have to choose between old school and Modern Music for SURE I will pick the old school one. But the thing I have said here comes from a debate that some metal fellows believe most of old schoolers had lack of knowledge in music those days so they have created that, nowadays we have modern music because of the knowledge improved then albums that have the old school vibes might not be produced anymore, but I still think albums with old school feeling can be produced again and they can be successful too,even in this period of time that seems Modern style has more customers.
07.03.2014 - 17:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
This is not the place for staff/elite discussions.

back to old/new school.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.03.2014 - 18:42
Lit.
Account deleted
...Or whatever it is this thread has deteriorated to.
07.03.2014 - 19:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 07.03.2014 at 18:42

...Or whatever it is this thread has deteriorated to.

we should rename it the Festivus thread, as it seems to have devolved into an airing of grievances.

i'm off to find a nice, sturdy aluminum pole.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.03.2014 - 19:27
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Can I break the jinx? I mean i'll be sounding like annoying bee but I really want to say that....

New school had lot of impact from old school.

Um

Thanks.
07.03.2014 - 19:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 07.03.2014 at 19:27

Can I break the jinx? I mean i'll be sounding like annoying bee but I really want to say that....

Um

Thanks.

What an egotistical thing to say. Definite grounds for removal on the basis of free thought and expression.

But seriously, of course this is true, but there are forms of metal these days which when compared to the old school would be almost unrecognisable in terms of influence because of how far removed it is. I imagine the rock-origins of metal are closer to old-school metal is than old-school metal is to much modern stuff.
08.03.2014 - 01:35
Darth Revan

Written by Guest on 07.03.2014 at 19:32

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 07.03.2014 at 19:27

Um

Thanks.

What an egotistical thing to say. Definite grounds for removal on the basis of free thought and expression.

But seriously, of course this is true, but there are forms of metal these days which when compared to the old school would be almost unrecognizable in terms of influence because of how far removed it is. I imagine the rock-origins of metal are closer to old-school metal is than old-school metal is to much modern stuff.

I agree. Slayer are closer to Deep Purple than they are to Tesseract... Speaking of, having listened to an admittedly small portion of their new album, I still don't know what djent is.
08.03.2014 - 08:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Darth Revan on 08.03.2014 at 01:35

I agree. Slayer are closer to Deep Purple than they are to Tesseract... Speaking of, having listened to an admittedly small portion of their new album, I still don't know what djent is.

Djent seems like one of those genres which appears to incorporate more and more bands into its umbrella each day. I swear bands that used to have other names are now called djent. In my mind it's just a sound and a vague way of playing.
08.03.2014 - 13:36
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 08.03.2014 at 08:05

I swear bands that used to have other names are now called djent. In my mind it's just a sound and a vague way of playing.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Vague and incomplete way of playing, it lacks musical elements.
----
The Fangirl.
08.03.2014 - 19:45
D.T. Metal

OK my dear thread participants. I usually don't get involved with any Moderating, but after receiving tons of PM's and such here is the deal:

Sweet - we are back on track, talking about the initial topic

I WILL delete ALL non-topic comments from this thread, because the horse is beaten to death twice now.

IF this thread derails AGAIN (one way or the other) I WILL not only lock it - I will DELETE it.

My apologies to the topic starter, but WOW folks
08.03.2014 - 20:31
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by angel. on 08.03.2014 at 13:36

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Vague and incomplete way of playing, it lacks musical elements.

You obviously misinterpreted what he said because that is a very arrogant and narrow-minded thing to say. Even if people are sore about it existing, that doesn't make it any less of a form of music than, say, the genres its based on.
08.03.2014 - 20:33
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 08.03.2014 at 20:31

You obviously misinterpreted what he said because that is a very arrogant and narrow-minded thing to say. Even if people are sore about it existing, that doesn't make it any less of a form of music than, say, the genres its based on.

Please enlighten me !
----
The Fangirl.
09.03.2014 - 02:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 09.03.2014 at 00:00

Another thing I prefer with stuff recorded in 1980s/90s is it's less "dense" sounding than modern stuff.

By dense I am referring to the more wall of sound stuff where the music is less clear sounding.

For a good example of what I'm referring to, think Metallica And Justice For All which is very dense sounding (and one of the reasons I'm not a fan).

Not same as heaviness e.g. Anthrax's Persistence of Time or Overkill's slower moments are heavy but not dense sounding.

It's why I like older bands to this day as well - they generally don't go for wall of sound even with modern production techniques.

Just a personal preference and no criticism.

Maybe Marcel and Craig dude or maybe DT can helkp more, but in those days bands played something what they think was real, they didnt say old school metal, maybe to rare accisions when they talked about Elvis or The Beatles , but today we say old school about 80's bands what had hair, denim, letther, same time bands simly coppy some 80's bands and dont have any on matherial and dont even look them selfs , just coppy...then ''it was all real'' ppl didnt need s old school about thinks what is true, now ..... old schoopl is just a sound, attitid life stile and dressing, not a yeas or decades
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2014 - 05:31
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guest on 08.03.2014 at 08:05

Written by Darth Revan on 08.03.2014 at 01:35

Djent seems like one of those genres which appears to incorporate more and more bands into its umbrella each day. I swear bands that used to have other names are now called djent. In my mind it's just a sound and a vague way of playing.

Maybe its like 1st wave black metal - in 10 years it'll have a common sound?/
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
12.03.2014 - 00:03
Mattybu

Written by deadone on 11.03.2014 at 00:29

IMO Black Metal started in Norway. This is where the core stylistic elements of the sound and aesthetics were developed.

What if it's more like Norway is where all the pieces were put together? you have the shitty production and lack of talent from Venom, the occult evilness of Mercyful Fate, the speed and aggression of the old Kreator and Sodom stuff, stew it all together and the pieces were all there just kind of assorted around. Which isn't to say BM didn't develop from once it became a solidly identifiable genre. I guess it really depends on how far back you want to trace it though cause all those bands like Venom and Morbid Angel etc etc aren't black metal bands.
12.03.2014 - 01:47
Mattybu

Written by deadone on 12.03.2014 at 00:14

In my opinion it's the same as calling Slayer's Reign In Blood Death Metal simply cause it was such a huge influence on the genre.

Or calling speedier NWOBHM or Hardcore bands Thrash cause they provided such a massive influence on the genre.

Yeah, I guess that's true. I just find sometimes it's more than just influence, because there are actual quantitative components to the album that the influence is being taken from being used EXACTLY the same in the next one. so in a way albums like Reign in Blood are partly death metal, in my opinion anyways. even though if you had to slap a definitive genre on that album it's thrash.
12.03.2014 - 05:10
Mattybu

Yeah, wishy washy stuff back then for sure. I still think that in essence black metal existed before the Norwegian outbreak, but it was split among a bunch of different acts. It just needed to all come together. Which may not make sense but just the way i see it