Metal Storm logo
Losing Interest In Metal

Original post

Posted by Oaken, 10.01.2013 - 00:44
There's something really weird happening to me. Despite enjoying metal to the fullest a few months back, I feel I've lost the love of it. For example, I haven't listened to a new album in a month or two. Recently, even my favorite tracks fail to please me. I would play some of my favorite stuff and two minutes later I would just put it off and really get bored of it. I still love music, but I simply don't feel like listening at all. Is this normal? Has this phase ended? Or is it something else? If there are any specific things that can reignite my interest in the music, I would be very grateful if you share them with me.
Thanks a lot.
20.01.2013 - 11:14
Monolithic
♠♠♠
I usually tend to have a temporary break instead of letting it go, because I know some day I'll go back to an album and start playing it.
22.01.2013 - 01:45
squidrick420

It sounds like you just need to explore the world of metal more, its easy to loose interest if you have only scratched the surface. After nearly a decade of listening to this stuff I have found enough metal out there to last a lifetime, and I still only feel like I have hardly begun to explore it. Just do some research and you will find some cool stuff out there that you would have never thought existed.
22.01.2013 - 04:06
ChromaBlue

It's gone in phases for me for nearly 30 years now. Every now and then I lose the love for a while. But it always comes back, and brings new delights every time. I'm currently enjoying bands especially in the metalcore genre that I never thought I'd listen to, let alone love like I loved bands when I was a teenager. Hang in there, the love will return I'm sure!
----
Sick sick band: facebook.com/ArtemisRedeemer
10.03.2013 - 00:44
skrog1

Take a break! Everyone needs some variety in their lives. Go listen to some really good (or really bad) '80's pop. There are some real jems out there. Seriously. Even some gnarly classic rock. Or hell, try some classical music. You'll find that by taking a few month break from metal will do you some good. Trust me, there's going to come a time where you're going to get into a buddy's car and he's blasting some epic thrash or deathgrind on a sick system and you're going to grin all over again. It just takes time.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
10.03.2013 - 04:53
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 00:44

Take a break! Everyone needs some variety in their lives. Go listen to some really good (or really bad) '80's pop. There are some real jems out there. Seriously. Even some gnarly classic rock. Or hell, try some classical music. You'll find that by taking a few month break from metal will do you some good. Trust me, there's going to come a time where you're going to get into a buddy's car and he's blasting some epic thrash or deathgrind on a sick system and you're going to grin all over again. It just takes time.

My last break from metal was 2 weeks of Lindsey Stirling, good stuff from that woman. And my break before that was a month of aggrotech, can't beat aggrotech for killer electro/industrial music.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

10.03.2013 - 07:48
nasmith

Look into stuff you've never heard before. I almost always listen to metal, but I sometimes listen to hardcore and grind and crap, every once in awhile going back to old school hard rock and crap. Personally, my times of getting bored with metal are when I'm just so depressed that nothing makes me happy (which hasn't happened in some time) or when I'm as tired as fuck and just need to go to bed XD
10.03.2013 - 22:19
skrog1

Written by psykometal on 10.03.2013 at 04:53

Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 00:44

My last break from metal was 2 weeks of Lindsey Stirling, good stuff from that woman. And my break before that was a month of aggrotech, can't beat aggrotech for killer electro/industrial music.

Aggrotech, huh? Can't say I've heard of 'em. Post something good by them?
----

10.03.2013 - 22:32
Uldreth

Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 22:19

Aggrotech, huh? Can't say I've heard of 'em. Post something good by them?

Your post make it seem like you think it is a band

It is a genre of dark electro-industrial music, something like this:

10.03.2013 - 22:38
skrog1

Ah! Another blasted sub-genre. lol.
----

10.03.2013 - 22:58
Sunioj

I've been on a year, year and a half complete break from metal altogether a long time ago. for some reason, my social life, work and everything kept me away from it and i was listening to much more mellow music. but later, i got really pissed off and just needed something that was on my level - it just clicked back completely and now I'm actually much more into the music.

if you genuinely don't enjoy listenining to something, don't force yourself. you might find yourself coming back to it later for whatever reason and enjoying it more.
11.03.2013 - 01:38
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 22:38

Ah! Another blasted sub-genre. lol.

Lol! Yea, it's a subgenre (stands for aggressive techno) but a really great subgenre. Dawn of Ashes (the band above) was definitely a highlight band of the genre until they decided to switch gears and start playing melodic blackened death metal.

And yes, I like subgenre classifications because it allows me to know what exactly what I'm getting into when someone tells me band X plays subgenre X.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~