Metal Storm logo
Emotion All Over Them: Part I

Written by: AndMetalForAll
Published: 09.01.2013

Three part article about the most emotional tracks in rock. With emotional I mean everything that covers all sorts of sentiments and feelings, it can be about: love, hate, nostalgia, friendship, loss, drama, hope, death, conformation or family among others. I'll try to keep my attention in the various fields of rock: from the most progressive to the softest areas of the genre. In this article will be featured tracks that may serve as an alternative to the typical list of emotional tracks. It's NOT a list, it's only meant to inform. I think most of my articles are written with the intent of informing "the audience", and to enrich one's knowledge of music. This article is no exception.

Queen - The Show Must Go On

It's the final track of their last album with Freddie Mercury. When recorded Mercury was very ill and could barely walk. May had concerns as to whether he was physically capable of singing it. Recorded in 1990 it is about the continuous effort of Freddie Mercury to perform despite his illness. Freddie Mercury died in 1991. It comes off the very good album entitled Innuendo which is in my opinion THE MOST emotional and sentimental track in hard-rock music. The level of performance and heart in the song is incredible, making it one of top 5 tracks ever composed in the history of Queen.

Rainbow - Vielleicht Das Nächste Mal (Maybe Next Time)

From the 1981 Rainbow record Difficult To Cure, it's an instrumental performed by the magical hands of Ritchie Blackmore. One of the few instrumental tracks released officially from Blackmore. It starts slow but hits its peak at 2:08, with one of the fastest solos in hard-rock. The song finishes as it started: emotional, deep and sad.

Saga - Not This Way (Chapter 10)

"Not This Way (Chapter 10)" is taken off of the very credible 1999 album entitled Full Circle. It's the tenth chapter of the only puzzle in rock history, with the name The Chapters. The puzzle is about the Cold War and most of the story centers on technology, science fiction, aliens, or the resurrection of the dead through technology. This particular chapter tells the part of a scientist that meets with one of his constructions and feels responsible for everything he ("the scientist") "made" him ("the construction") do.

Deep Purple - When a Blind Man Cries

It was recorded during the Machine Head sessions in December 1971, powerful and dramatic with the main spotlight on Ian Gillan's voice. Because Ritchie Blackmore disliked the song, the band never played the track in live shows during his tenure in Deep Purple, with the exception of one time when Blackmore was ill.

Rush - Afterimage

From far it's one of the most powerful and emotional tracks in Rush's discography, and certainly one of the best in rock. The track was dedicated to Robbie Whelan, a friend of the band who worked as an assistant engineer on some of their earlier albums. It deals with the loss of a friend and the emotional aftermath that follows. Later, the lyrics were dedicated to the daughter and wife of Neil Peart who died in 1997 and 1998, respectively. Perfect performance, powerful songwriting and superb instrumental arrangement.

Deep Purple - Soldier Of Fortune

"Soldier Of Fortune" is one of the favorite tracks to any Deep Purple fan. Composed and written by Blackmore and David Coverdale. Taken off of the 1974 Deep Purple's record entitled Stormbringer. It's one of the most influential and powerful ballads in the history of rock. There are various cover versions from different types of bands like Opeth, Whitesnake, Blackmore's Night or Black Majesty; with intense and soulful vocals from Coverdale and a magical guitar composition from the master Ritchie Blackmore. David Coverdale delivers the best performance in his career in this track.

Genesis - No Son Of Mine

From 1991's We Can't Dance record of the legendary Genesis. "No Son Of Mine" is a very strong and emotional song that tells the story of a broken family: a father that rejects and abandons his own son. Phil Collins delivers an excellent performance, particularly, in this song. Although it isn't, instrumentally, the most depressive song you can find, its lyrics and meaning are something to take notice of.

Pink Floyd - Echoes

It's definitely one of my favorite tracks of all time. This legendary song comes off the 1971 Pink Floyd's record entitled Meddle. It's by far one of the most epic tracks of the progressive scene. It's also one of the most difficult to interpret and explain its meaning; many people may interpret it like me as being about loneliness. In an interview with Rolling Stone, Roger Waters explained that the song's lyrics were an attempt to describe "the potential that human beings have for recognizing each other's humanity and responding to it, with empathy rather than antipathy."

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - C'est La Vie

It's an acoustic ballad performed and written by Greg Lake from Emerson, Lake & Palmer. This 1977 acoustic ballad is about resignation and conformation of someone that had his heart broken. "C'est La Vie", it's a French expression that may be translated to English as: "That's Life". With excellent vocal and guitar arrangement.

Marillion - 100 Nights

It's the third song of the trilogy "This Town/The Rakes Progress/100 Nights", it tells the story of a man that lives life without caring about the consequences. The man "plays the game" but ends up being played, because his woman is seeing another man. This track is very well written and can have several interpretations. Technically, it contains excellent songwriting, amazing solo and performance. It's clearly an emotional song about someone that cheats and ends up being cheated.

Saga - If I Were You

Song taken off of Saga's 2004 album entitled Network. It's a song about a person's need to move on with his life. It's a song about hope and perseverance. Not technically complex but it's definitely intense and dramatic at its own way. Michael Sadler's voice is perfect and is accompanied by the very good Ian Crichton at the guitar. Extraordinarily moving, yet it has the ability of giving hope and a feeling of acceptance.

Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven

It comes off of the perfect Led Zeppelin IV released in 1971. It's my favorite track, and one of the most played songs of all time. Its meaning centers on a woman that is greedy and gets everything she wants all the time without giving back any thought or consideration. It's one of the most well designed songs in music: lyrically, instrumentally, the band's performance and its concept are just perfect. It's definitely one of the few masterpieces in the world of music.

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 108 users
10.01.2013 - 18:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Werry week emotibal, because there is better ... specely Rainbow
in eve I will give better examples
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.01.2013 - 20:40
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Written by Bad English on 10.01.2013 at 18:01

Werry week emotibal, because there is better ... specely Rainbow
in eve I will give better examples

I said in the introduction that this may serve as an alternative to the typical list of emotional songs. Of course there are more emotional tracks, I tried to present more artists that are not so known to Metalstormers, but there's two more parts left.. Write an article about the songs tht everybody knows is nothing special.

Thanks,
----
greets,
kual21
10.01.2013 - 20:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Great list, totally unexpected songs in there, especially the Rainbow track, which does rank as one of my favourites. SOme interesting choices I didn't know at all, so heard the here for the first time.
Emotionally a very strong list (ignore Bad English babbling who will just show up with the usual suspects and doom songs)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2013 - 21:10
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2013 at 20:47

Great list, totally unexpected songs in there, especially the Rainbow track, which does rank as one of my favourites. SOme interesting choices I didn't know at all, so heard the here for the first time.
Emotionally a very strong list (ignore Bad English babbling who will just show up with the usual suspects and doom songs)

Thanks. That was the objective, although Queen, Led Zeppelin and more two or three were obvious, the rest was something different. In the next two parts I will come up with names like Tommy Bolin, Gary Moore, Golden Earring and more. With other "certain" choices like one track of Journey for example.

Thanks again for reading,
----
greets,
kual21
10.01.2013 - 22:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by AndMetalForAll on 10.01.2013 at 21:10

Gary Moore, Golden Earring and more.

I wonder what Gary Moore track, hopefully from before his blues period.
INteresting choic on Golden Eaaring. Although they are a Dutch band I am not too familiar with them except for the well-known songs. So looking forward to that one.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2013 - 22:18
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2013 at 22:05

I wonder what Gary Moore track, hopefully from before his blues period.

'Empty Rooms' is where it's at for Gary Moore, if you ask me. Great song.

Also, AndMetalForAll, as a Marillion nut, it's nice to see something off Holidays In Eden get the credit it deserves. An underrated classic. And I applaud the choice of Genesis track as well. Well done, sir.
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
10.01.2013 - 22:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

only songs what works for me emotionaly here is Deep Purple when the blind man cries
Rainbow - tampe of the king , cath the rainbow, black sheep in the family(I dont like orginal version so much) Rainbow eyes are emotional songs from 70's
----

apos;'
[image]
10.01.2013 - 22:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 10.01.2013 at 22:47

Rainbow - tampe of the king , cath the rainbow, black sheep in the family(I dont like orginal version so much) Rainbow eyes are emotional songs from 70's

and so incredibly standard those songs are when people mention emotional songs by Rainbow that they clearly fall outside the scope of these articles, like the author explained.
ONly one which might be considered emtional of the ones you mentioned might be Temple Of The King.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2013 - 23:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2013 at 22:50

and so incredibly standard those songs are when people mention emotional songs by Rainbow that they clearly fall outside the scope of these articles, like the author explained.
ONly one which might be considered emtional of the ones you mentioned might be Temple Of The King.

Yes its more emotional how others but for me those what I mentioned from Rainbow is more emotional how in his list ...... but anyway it is his list, not mine

From Led Zep I prefere Thats The Way , also emotional song
----

apos;'
[image]
10.01.2013 - 23:54
AndMetalForAll
kual21
The 2nd part of the article is finished and the 3rd is almost finished (lacks 2 or 3 tracks), I won't submit the 2nd part yet because of format, I always like my custom formatting for this type of articles. Most of the songs I suggest are not obvious (65% or 70%). I've been preparing this article for quite a while now, in order to put everything right with the right songs.

And again thanks for reading,
----
greets,
kual21
11.01.2013 - 03:53
Susan
Smeghead

(ignore Bad English babbling who will just show up with the usual suspects and doom songs)

I think he makes it his life goal to be the first to comment on every article and proclaim it "werry bad." Seriously, they're all "werry bad" or "wery bad"
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
11.01.2013 - 12:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Susan on 11.01.2013 at 03:53

(ignore Bad English babbling who will just show up with the usual suspects and doom songs)

I think he makes it his life goal to be the first to comment on every article and proclaim it "werry bad." Seriously, they're all "werry bad" or "wery bad"

he totally can't be objective when it comes to articles and such. If it is not HIS taste the article is bad according to him.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.01.2013 - 12:56
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Very good job on this João! And interesting indeed!

Some of my favourites in there by Queen, Led Zeppelin and Marillion. Also a lot to discover, awesome!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.01.2013 - 13:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
ECHOES

THAT IS ALL

... Fantastic shit. Nice article man, I'll watch it all when I have the time. I don't really listen too the other bands, only Pink Floyd. So this might inspire me to check out the other s abit more.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.01.2013 - 20:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 11.01.2013 at 03:53

Give me 8h normal office job or something simmilar whit sek 30 000 per month and I wonty be here at all not so ofteh how I am
Its not my faulth I have no job not regulary but only part time some time hehe

Marcel - I dont see any emitional here same like maybe tread author wont see in my list
----

apos;'
[image]
12.01.2013 - 05:48
Evil Chip

Nice selection. Echoes! It's been Long time since I listened to that track and it never gets old.
30.01.2013 - 16:35
Aristarchos

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2013 at 22:50

How can you say that Rainbow Eyes isn't emotional?
31.01.2013 - 20:08
LICH

This list was awesome , well done
31.01.2013 - 21:36
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Written by LICH on 31.01.2013 at 20:08

This list was awesome , well done

Thanks, check the 2nd part and give me your feedback!
----
greets,
kual21
10.06.2013 - 13:47
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Rush - "Afterimage"

----
greets,
kual21

Hits total: 5084 | This month: 13