Metal Storm logo
Progressive death

18.01.2013 - 00:11
mayoarm

Hey guys. Didn't find a thread similar to this, so here we go.
Another suggestion thread? Oh yes. I apologize but my thirst for good music has not been sated!

I love progressive music, in all its countless sub-subgenres, but I've been really digging progressive death metal lately. Note that I do make a distinction between technical death metal and progressive death metal, although the two are known Siemens twins. I am not looking for death metal which is technical, rather I am looking for progressive metal which has death influences (or vice versa, meaning death metal which has a lot of progressive elements). The best way to describe it is to give you examples of albums:
cynic - focus/traced in air
ne obliviscaris - portal of i
the faceless - autotheism
between the buried and me - The paralex II: future sequence
opeth (duh)
blotted science

Realize that there are many bands who are close to the definition of what I gave, but I do not intend for them to be considered in this manner. I'm not talking about stuff like necrophagist, meshuggah, nile, etc.

Thanks in advance. And if anyone is interested in this specific niche of progressive death and has not listened to any of the bands I've listened, change that... now!
23.01.2013 - 19:41
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Check out Spires, they are very similar to Opeth.

Other suggestions I would have are: Dominia, Edge of Sanity (Crimson & Crimson II), Gojira, Hands of Despair, Orkenjott, and possibly Sylosis?

Let me know what you like/don't like then maybe I can give a few more suggestions based on that.
26.01.2013 - 02:03
Ikuinen

I made a video of top 10 opeth inspired bands on youtube ....iwould liknk it but i am using my ps3 right now and the browser is shit ...the video is called top 10 opeth inspired bands...
26.01.2013 - 14:00
mayoarm

Written by BaneConall on 23.01.2013 at 19:41

Check out Spires, they are very similar to Opeth.

Other suggestions I would have are: Dominia, Edge of Sanity (Crimson & Crimson II), Gojira, Hands of Despair, Orkenjott, and possibly Sylosis?

Let me know what you like/don't like then maybe I can give a few more suggestions based on that.

very interesting bands, especially spires. gojira and sylosis i was already familiar with (I like gojira but I usually prefer more mind-fucky progressive stuff, and sylosis I don't like as much).

These are good finds which I will give proper consideration to, but from a first quick listen to random songs off of some of these, they are more on the death metal (or black metal for some) side than progressive.

Written by Ikuinen on 26.01.2013 at 02:03

I made a video of top 10 opeth inspired bands on youtube ....iwould liknk it but i am using my ps3 right now and the browser is shit ...the video is called top 10 opeth inspired bands...

I'll check it out, thanks.
27.01.2013 - 00:16
king_matt

I know they're more black metal than death metal, but Enslaved are very good. Very similar to Opeth, except for black metal vocals and a bit less production.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
07.02.2013 - 02:52
Tcan

Written by king_matt on 27.01.2013 at 00:16

I know they're more black metal than death metal, but Enslaved are very good. Very similar to Opeth, except for black metal vocals and a bit less production.

really can you suggest me enslaved' s song whose give the taste of opeth's

like deliverance
07.02.2013 - 12:27
mayoarm

Written by Tcan on 07.02.2013 at 02:52

Written by king_matt on 27.01.2013 at 00:16

really can you suggest me enslaved' s song whose give the taste of opeth's

like deliverance

20.02.2013 - 22:18
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Gojira and Ørkenkjøtt as mentioned before. Also Farmakon, they're almost an Opeth copycat.

It's worth you check Enslaved and Agalloch also, even though they have black influences instead of death.
05.07.2018 - 23:41
xenon8247

05.07.2018 - 23:43
xenon8247

17.10.2018 - 18:32
SandaruLJ

Check out Persefone. All of their albums are brilliant!
22.11.2018 - 22:19
Edd

Pfff it is very difficult to give a "Cachet" to the bands ....I ...don't like that bands are to similar...they need their own identity...

Yes I Like Opeth...but Also Gojira;...Kataklysm, Machine head, Caliban , Hexa Mera, Dagoba, .In Flames, etc ... they have all a special sound ..Edd
23.11.2018 - 11:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Edd on 22.11.2018 at 22:19

Pfff it is very difficult to give a "Cachet" to the bands ....I ...don't like that bands are to similar...they need their own identity...

..Kataklysm, Machine , they have all a special sound ..Edd

Its not a progressive death
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.06.2019 - 13:06
Niamorg

I'm going to suggest my own band's new album here, in case anyone's interested! We're a Progressive Metal band called Omnerod, very much influenced by the likes of Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Devin Townsend and early Leprous. I'll post a couple youtube links below (the entire album is on there) as well as a bandcamp link for a free download. The album will also be on Spotify in about a week. Feel free to let me know what you think of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0O64wR04l8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RJBE_RjTE
https://omnerod.bandcamp.com/
12.07.2019 - 21:44
fourrobert13

Check out Alkaloid and Hannes Grossmann.

https://alkaloid-band.bandcamp.com/releases
https://hannesgrossmann.bandcamp.com/

The above poster's band sounds great too.