Metal Storm logo
A Year In Metal - 2012: Highlights Through The Eyes Of The MS Staff & Elite

Written by: Susan
Published: 25.01.2013

And thus it begins.

The 2012 Metal Storm Awards are almost upon us.

In a little over a week we'll open the MSA voting and you readers will be able to crown THE BEST albums. Stay tuned for the feast of excellent music to be laid before you. Can you feel the tension in the air?

Before that happens, though, we staff and elite took some time out of our work to list our personal favorites and recaps of the year, right here in this article. Perhaps some of these lists below will contain hints as to what you'll find in the upcoming MSA nominations? Ah, the mysteries around here are endless...

Grab some popcorn, read, then tell us how our lists compare to yours. Bon appetit!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Staff
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abattoir

Favorite Album: Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas
Best Home-Country Album: The Canyon Observer - Chapter II: These Binds Will Set You Free [EP]
Most-Played Song: Anaal Nathrakh - "To Spite The Face"
Most Promising Band: The Great Old Ones - Al Azif
Best Concert: Officium Triste (at Doom Over London fest)
Biggest Disappointment: Not going to God Is An Astronaut concert.
Metal Moment Of 2012: Becoming a staff member, priceless
And 2013? To discover some exquisite deviant underground music and possibly attending any gig or festival.

BitterCOld

Favorite Album: Faal - The Clouds Are Burning
Best Home-Country Album: High On Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis
Most-Played Song: Torche - "Walk It Off"
Most Promising Band: Ortega
Biggest Disappointment: Neurosis - felt like they were going through the paces with the latest. Also having to cancel a trip to Europe at the last minute, and thus cancel a meet up with Marcel. Amsterdam was spared our rampage.
Metal Moment Of 2012: Wandering in to a record shop in Seattle, and when buying a copy of Ahab's having a conversation about the band with the dude behind the counter. Used to just receiving blank stares when I hand my purchases to the cashier.
And 2013? It's not 2012, that's already an improvement.

BloodTears

Favorite Album: Between The Buried And Me - The Parallax II: Future Sequence, Threshold - March Of Progress and In Mourning - The Weight Of Oceans
Best Home-Country Album: Vertigo Steps - Surface/Light and Miss Lava - Red Supergiant
Most-Played Song: "Astral Body" - Between The Buried And Me; "Someone (Like You)" - Vertigo Steps; "Kingdom" - Devin Townsend; "Internal Landscapes" - Anathema
Most Promising Band: In The Silence, Atoma, Elysian, The Safety Fire and Spelljammer.
Best concert: Devin Townsend + Fear Factory; Switchtense (twice); Mastodon; Ava Inferi; Kylesa (gig of the year even though it was in January)
Biggest Disappointment: Coram Lethe - Heterodox; another year without a new Porcupine Tree album (DVDs don't count Steven!)
Metal Moment Of 2012: Moita Metal Fest 2012 (kind of like local Wacken around these parts); lots of collective headbanging, messy hairs, air guitars, crowd surfing and thrashing; also any other show in Moita is ridiculously fun because of the crowd.
And 2013?: New albums from Riverside, Kylesa, Cynic, Grayceon, Dark Tranquillity, Rotting Christ, Fates Warning and more! Hope to discover more bands, see new bands live for the first time and go to more local festivals.

BudDa

Favorite Album: High On Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis
Best Home-Country Album: Vale Of Amonition - Infernal Supremacy EP
Most-Played Song: Goatwhore - "When Steel And Bone Meet" | Hour Of 13 - "Lucky Bones"
Most Promising Band: Desultor
Best Concert: Didn't attend any.
Biggest Disappointment: Moonspell - Alpha Noir / Omega White
Metal Moment Of 2012: Being made Staff
And 2013? New Tool Album? Hope they release it this year.

D.T. Metal

Favorite Album: Testament - Dark Roots Of Earth
Best Home-Country Album: Kreator - Phantom Antichrist and Dew-Scented - Icarus
Most-Played Song: Actually any Amon Amarth song from - Surtur Rising; it's stuck in my car CD-player and when there is scrap on the radio I will listen to this .
Most Promising Band: Speedwolf (FB link) - seriously, check them out.
Best Concert: Crap, WAY to many! Other than Barge To Hell I would say Destruction in a fricking bar (best I have seen them in YEARS), Meshuggah was great and so was Turisas
Biggest Disappointment: Naglfar - Téras and without even blinking Six Feet Under - Undead
Metal Moment Of 2012: Barge To Hell cruise - first and foremost with Sodom, Sacred Reich and Sepultura as my TOP 3. But equally awesome was my west-coast trip with my brothers in Watain for a couple of days!!! TTD!!!
And 2013? Looking forward to the new Belphegor and Rotting Christ.

Daniell

Favorite Album: This time I can't really point out one clear favourite. Quite a few albums blew me away, but, admittedly, none of them as much as some of the previous years' favourites. The ones that impressed me the most: Enslaved - RIITIIR, Indesinence - Vessels of Light and Decay, Reverence - The Asthenic Ascension, Asphyx - Deathhammer, Agruss - Morok, Ash Borer - Cold Of Ages, Witchsorrow - God Curse Us, Bong - Mana-Yod-Shusai and quite a few others.
Best Home Country Album: Flapjack - Keep Your Heads Down
Most-Played Song: I think it was Opeth's "Godhead's Lament" again. This song never bores me and I play it least at a few times a week.
Most Promising Band: Lurk.
Best Concert: Judas Priest, Epitaph Tour, Spodek, Katowice, April 14th.
Biggest Disappointment: Drudkh - Eternal Turn of the Wheel. How the mighty have fallen. The most uninspired and bland shit since The Guessing Game.
And 2013? Let's hope Skepticism and Slayer release their new full-lengths.

Darkside Momo

Favorite Album: Without a doubt A Forest Of Stars - A Shadowplay For Yesterdays
Best Home-Country Album: Either Gorod - A Perfect Absolution, Igorrr - Hallelujah or Klone - The Dreamer's Hideaway, but sadly certainly not Gojira.
Most-Played Song: A Forest Of Stars - "Gatherer Of The Pure" (check it); Gorod - "Birds Of Sulphur" (check!); Stolen Babies - "Prankster" (listen!); Anaal Nathrakh - "You Can't Save Me, So Stop Fucking Trying" (it's here).
Most Promising Band: -
Best Concert: All Gorod shows in Toulouse (two this year), Vulture Industries and Refused @ Hellfest
Biggest Disappointment: Overall, a disappointing year, with so few groundbreaking albums. There is some pretty solid stuff, thankfully. Also, no apocalypse. Would have loved to witness the end of the world.
Metal Moment Of 2012: Hellfest as usual?
And 2013? Will have to see if Dark Tranquillity, Terra Tenebrosa, Shining (NOR), Orphaned Land and others live up to their legacy... On a non-metal note, traveling through the Pyrenées and near Toulouse searching for minerals again!

Jason W.

Favorite Album: Keep Your Opinions To Yourself - Undiscovered Country Of Old Death And Strange Years In The Frightful Past
Best Home-Country Album: Keep Your Opinions To Yourself - Undiscovered Country Of Old Death And Strange Years In The Frightful Past
Most-Played Song: Atoma - "Bermuda Riviera" / Xandria - "A Prophecy Of Worlds To Fall" / Keep Your Opinions To Yourself - "11"
Most Promising Band: Atoma
Best Concert: Both times seeing KYOTY live. The first time just before their release, and finding out how good they are. The second time, driving out to see only their set and ignoring the rest of the bands so as not to ruin the mood they put me in. In 45 minutes, I reflected on my life, floated to new worlds, shed some tears on the inside, and walked out the instant they finished a better man.
Biggest Disappointment: The release of so very few great symphonic & gothic metal releases.
Metal Moment Of 2012: Sailing the seas along the coast of Hordaland, and driving around the fjords of Norway
And 2013? Hopefully a return to seeing another metal festival in Europe, it was sorely missed last year.

Doc G.

Favorite Album: Lurk - Lurk
Best Home-Country Album: 3 Inches Of Blood - Long Live Heavy Metal
Most-Played Song: Nachtmystium - "Borrowed Hope & Broken Dreams"
Most Promising Band: Lurk
Best Concert: Marduk & 1349
Biggest Disappointment: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes
Metal Moment Of 2012: Altogether, a totally un-metal year for ol' Doc
And 2013? Find some time to get back to reviewing! I miss this.

Ivor

Favorite Album: The Eden House - Timeflows (EP), Karcius - The First Day, Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster - Exegesis, Ancestors - In Dreams And Time, oh and Moonspell's Omega White was a surprise beyond any expectations
Best Home-Country Album: Possibly Estoner - The Stump Will Rise.
Most-Played Song: Don't have one, but Karcius "Hypnotic" is damn awesome and memorable.
Most Promising Band: Kontinuum, Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster.
Best Concert: Has to be Beardfish in Tallinn, also Spock's Beard and Lazuli at Night of the Prog 2012.
Biggest Disappointment: Hellfest 2012 sucked so much with its line-up I had to break my winning 5-in-a-row attendance streak.
Metal Moment Of 2012: Attending Night of the Prog 2012 at its fantastic location.
And 2013? Something good to listen to, I have high expectations for the new Riverside, Kingcrow, Jolly and Spock's Beard, and some good festivals and shows would be awesome. Oh, and of course new Freak Kitchen.

jupitreas

Favorite Album: Too many to choose from.
Best Home-Country Album: Flapjack - Keep Your Heads Down
Most-Played Song: Gojira - "L'enfant suavage" (based on last.fm charts)
Most Promising Band: This is always a tough one as there have been many great debuts this year. Albums by Glass Cloud, Charon (from Saxony), The Weakening and Abnormality were my favorites so I'm most looking forward to what they can come up with next.
Best Concert: Voivod in Warsaw
Biggest Disappointment: Ministry - Relapse
Metal Moment Of 2012: Accidentally pushing G. C. Green of Godflesh into a pile of mud.
And 2013? Hope to get back to reviewing again, if time allows.

Milena
Favorite Album: Enochian Theory - Life... And All It Entails. Will probably end up as one of my favorites of the decade as well - it's just that lovely.
Best Home-Country Album: Burning Circle - Ruins Of Mankind. Our scene produces at least one album per year to be excited about - I think that's a good start.
Most-Played Song: Dream Theater's "Space-Dye Vest". The year was pretty depressing, comforting that comes from beautiful music was much needed (and had).
Most Promising Band: Beyond The Bridge, Headspace, Dissona.
Best concert: None. Assign the blame to my place of residence I guess.
Biggest Disappointment: Sonata Arctica half-assed an album. Several months ago, I was okay with the amount of crap on Stones Grow Her Name because of songs on it that are a highlight in their entire discography. Then they did this. Fuck my life.
Metal Moment Of 2012: Not sure. This year wasn't as metal as I hoped it would be.
And 2013?: Since nearby festivals are either becoming boring or take place during my exam-period, I look forward to discovering more bands, reviewing and actually having gigs to visit. New albums from (eep!) Subsignal, Riverside, Amorphis, Dark Tranquillity, James LaBrie, (double eep!) Dream Theater, Pain Of Salvation, Fates Warning, Kvelertak and Headspace are hopefully all worth looking forward to.

Promonex

Favorite Album: Grimes - Vision. Yep, Promonex is going all hipster now.
Best Home-Country Album: Kreator - Phantom Antichrist and Panzerballett - Tank Goodness
Most-Played Song: Periphery - "Scarlet", The Algorithm - "Access Granted", Grimes - "Oblivion".
Most Promising Band: Make Them Suffer.
Best Concert: Refused at Hellfest, hands down.
Biggest Disappointment: Wacken 2012. In its entirety.
Metal Moment Of 2012: New job! And a promotion only one month later!
And 2013? Can I haz even moar promotions!?

psykometal

Favorite Album: The Algorithm - Polymorphic Code
Best Home-Country Album: Cattle Decapitation - Monolith Of Inhumanity
Most-Played Song: The Algorithm - "Access Granted"
Most Promising Band: Bloodshot Dawn
Best Concert: Didn't make any
Biggest Disappointment: Not being able to find a better job
Metal Moment Of 2012: Being promoted to Metal Storm Staff
And 2013? Finding a much better job so I can get out of my father's house and back on my own

Susan

Favorite Album: Head Phones President - Stand In The World; Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas; Wilderun - Olden Tales And Deathly Trails; A.I.(d) - Disorder.
Best Home-Country Album: Wilderun - Olden Tales And Deathly Trails
Most-Played Song: Thought Machine - "The Autumn Lives Here"
Most Promising Band: Wilderun, Royal Thunder, Blue Aside
Best Concert: Tie between seeing Fair To Midland in 2 different cities, and attending the onslaught of the Summer Slaughter Tour
Biggest Disappointment: Thy Majestie - ShiHuangDi.
Metal Moment Of 2012: Interviewing my heroes in Fair To Midland
And 2013? More exciting interviews planned. You'll have to wait and be surprised!!

wormdrink414

Favourite Album: High On Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis
Best Home-Country Album: Other than De Vermis, Black Breath - Sentenced To Life.
Most-Played Song: Either Aura Noir's "Abbadon" or Deathhammer's "Lead Us Into Hell". Or Mion's Hill's "Evocation/Pestilent Sabbat." Or Necrovation's "Resurrectionist."
Most Promising Band: Mion's Hill
Best Concert: Behemoth & Watain: Decible Magazine Tour
Biggest Disappointment: 3 Inches Of Blood - Long Live Heavy Metal
Metal Moment Of 2012: Not getting thrown out of any Red Fang shows.
And 2013? Surviving more end of days days, The Underground Resistance and Earth Rocker.

Elite

Favorite Album: Favorite Album: Igorrr - Hallelujah and Aluk Todolo - Occult Rock.
Best Home-Country Album: Bong - Mana-Yood-Sushai, Indesinence - Vessels of Light and Decay and Necro Deathmort - The Colonial Script.
Most-Played Song: Something off Igorrr's latest one I would imagine.
Most Promising Band: Agruss, Chthe'ilist and Muknal.
Best Concert: Anaal Nathrakh at Bloodstock, Pig Destroyer, Undersmile. Off the top of my head.
Biggest Disappointment: Where to start... Nile, Deathspell Omega, Gojira, Candlemass, Meshuggah, Drudkh, Katatonia and a bunch more. All great, or once great, bands massively letting the side down this year.
Metal Moment Of 2012: Steel prices fell to their lowest level in 3 years. Solemn 23 and Cal Wolvington / Ernil-whatsit nuking their own accounts.
And 2013? The return of !T.O.O.H.!. Also worth mentioning that Abyssal have already made an AotY-worthy record that will be hard to beat.

Ag Fox

Favourite Album: Nadja / Vampilla - The Primitive World, because Monolithe's Interlude Second is an EP
Best Home-Country Album: Nothing great from Hong Kong or China released this year... as usual
Most-Played Song: "Your Reward" by In The Silence, and that's excluding the times I've listened to it as my ringtone.
Most Promising Band: Kontinuum and In The Silence
Best Concert: I wanted to go to the Mono concert when they came to Hong Kong, but the tickets were sold out )=
Biggest Disappointment: Delain, Candlemass
Metal Moment Of 2012: It has been a rather sweet softy year for me :3
And 2013? Terra Tenebrosa, Ghost, Leprous, Enshine, Atoma, Voivod, Kylesa, Madder Mortem, Last Chance To Reason, Fractal Gates immediately comes to mind, but I'm sure there'll be plenty more to look forward to as the year unfolds.

Dane Train

Favorite Album: Eluveitie - Helvetios
Best Home-Country Album: Corrosion Of Conformity -Corrosion of Conformity
Most-Played Song: Hammock - "(Tonight) We Burn Like Stars That Never Die"
Most Promising Band: Eating The Sun. They are a small local band, but great mix of doom and grunge.
Best Concert: Albannach at Celtoberfest
Biggest Disappointment: 2012. Yeah, pretty much the whole year. Lost my job due to a bullshit lawsuit. Did not get to go to the three conventions I wanted to, including Dragon*Con (which I had tickets and a hotel for!). Scrapped the original recordings of our album because we did not like them and now are looking for a new studio to record in. I could go on and on, but it is not productive, so all I will say is that 2013 is the year I return to kick ass.
Metal Moment Of 2012: My band was headlining a festival and we got shut down by the cops!
And 2013? Watching every single episode of every Star Trek in a year! Trek Year!

Introspekrieg

Favorite Album: Dead Can Dance - Anastasis, Enslaved - RIITIIR, mind.in.a.box - Revelations.
Best Home-Country Album: Dissona - Dissona, OSI - Fire Make Thunder
Most-Played Song: Chimp Spanner - "Mӧbius Pt I"
Most Promising Band: Profusion [Italy]
Best Concert: Mastodon/Opeth/Ghost
Biggest Disappointment: Only attending 3 concerts...
Metal Moment Of 2012: Getting really fat for no reason.
And 2013? Riverside, Shining (NOR), KMFDM, Clutch, Ghost, Leprous, Falkenbach, Devin Townsend, Orphaned Land, Chimp Spanner, Animals As Leaders, Last Chance To Reason, Haken... and Tool.

X-Ray Rod

Favorite Album: Agruss - Morok, Alkerdeel - Morinde, Cloak Of Altering - Ancient Paths Through Timeless Voids, and Igorrr - Hallelujah... Extremely hard to choose between them. There are quite a few which I really enjoyed as well though but these albums seem to be among the strongest for me.
Best Home-Country Album: LvxCælis - Mysteria Mystica Maxima XXIII and Wrathprayer - The Sun Of Moloch. The Chilean extreme metal scene is doing great!
Most-Played Song: I'm gonna go all non-metal here. Bôa - Duvet is the best pop song I've heard in a long time.
Most Promising Band: Agruss... Debut of the year for me. Can't wait to see what they can do next.
Best Concert: Alkerdeel at Roadburn was insanely mesmerizing and Nasum's farewell tour with Pyramido, Skitsystem and Black Breath... Energetic is an understatement
Biggest Disappointment: Candlemass' excuse of an album... To a lesser extent: Neurosis and Pig Destroyer. Good albums, but I expected way more from those two bands considering their previous masterpieces.
Metal Moment Of 2012: Roadburn 2012... Great bands and great people. Also, Roadburn aside: This has probably been the year I've been to most concerts yet.
And 2013? Well, right now I can only say that Roadburn 2013 will be a blast just like the previous two times I was there. Hoping for great albums this year, too.

Nefarious

Favorite Album: Indesinence - Vessels Of Light And Decay without a doubt, but honourable mentions to Faal - The Clouds Are Burning & In The Silence - A Fair Dream Gone Mad
Best Home-Country Album: Perversion - Pillars of the Enlightened
Most-Played Song: Faal - "Tempest" & Monuments Collapse - "White Owl"
Most Promising Band(s): In The Silence, Dissona, Abstracter, Xanthochroid & Monuments Collapse
Best Concert: Brutal Assault 2012 as a whole really. Had such a blast at that festival.
Biggest Disappointment: The mud at Wacken this year, that shit was brutal.
Metal Moment Of 2012: 2012 has been another unbelievable year for me but there were two main highlights. The first was my summer trip to Europe again to attend Wacken, Brutal Assault 2012 & Summer Breeze Festivals, with the most "metal" highlight probably being when standing right at the front of the crowd, shoulder to shoulder with all the members of Textures while watching At The Gates live at Brutal Assault. The second highlight? Well, that was by far the best thing to happen this year....getting married! And yes, it was a metal themed wedding
And 2013?: Who knows? But after 2 amazing years in a row I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store.

Written on 25.01.2013 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 90   Visited by: 461 users
28.01.2013 - 02:31
fixxxer_ki

Yes, yes, that's right. I have no idea what "Metal Industry" is. But, I do know about a kind of "Art" called "Metal Music"
28.01.2013 - 02:47
stupid noob
Account deleted
All I wanted to say was that I agree that the staff and elite members of the site have a different opinion than us, but I wanted to disagree about their personal tastes! You can't just say people have poor tastes in music just because their favorite genres don't reflect your own. As someone who listens to all kinds of hated bands, I understand that completely! I think this is a great article for users to read and we should stop bitching about it! Everyone has different tastes in music and we should respect that. I like my nu metal and alternative metal, no big deal. Some people here like Igor(rrr?) and some like Be'lakor. This list is just here for us regular users to see what the staff and elite members enjoyed from 2012. Write your own list if you want others to see it!
28.01.2013 - 04:02
Edmund Fogg

Written by Guest on 28.01.2013 at 02:47

This list is just here for us regular users to see what the staff and elite members enjoyed from 2012. Write your own list if you want others to see it!

Words of wisdom. Either you sit back and enjoy the show not giving a fuck or you just create your own list. For my part, I listen to too many stuff to keep track.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
28.01.2013 - 06:03
Edmund Fogg

Not the smartest move to be spamming your shit in this thread.
----
28.01.2013 - 07:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Nuked the second, warned on the first self promotion shit.

and i find it amusing the person whining about "art" is the one more supportive of the less exploratory/artistic styles of metal.

to each their own.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.01.2013 - 10:01
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Honestly?

What attracts me more to this article is the staffs cocky pics than their favorite albums or songs. Boo!

Well, 4 more days to kick off MS awards 2012. Quite excited.
28.01.2013 - 14:09
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by tea[m]ster on 27.01.2013 at 19:45

Another year not one staffer mentions my AOTY, god my musical tastes must suck...
...props to Ivor for mentioning Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster's awesome release and Jupitreas for the Glass Cloud blurb...

I thought I would be that person, of all, if the album is prog of course which one is it, I'm curious?

Also what the fuck is with that Be'lakor bullshit? They received a 9.0 rated review from a staffer who took his high ratings very seriously, and as of this moment 4 of us have ranked it 8 or higher, which I got from just glancing at the ratings list. I interviewed them earlier in the year, and the reason why they contacted us for the interview is because they know there's people who appreciate them here and who'd be interested in reading and asking questions. If there's any newer melodeath band appreciated by the staff/elite circle of people who listen to melodeath and other melodic metal, you can bet your ass it's none other than Be'lakor...
----
7.0 means the album is good
28.01.2013 - 15:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I like them too, I just don't make a big fuzz about it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.01.2013 - 15:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.01.2013 at 15:19

I like them too, I just don't make a big fuzz about it.

I think it's just JOOE and me of the staff/elites who find Belakor totally generic and boring and nothing worthy of over a 6 or so.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.01.2013 - 15:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.01.2013 at 15:30
I think it's just JOOE and me of the staff/elites who find Belakor totally generic and boring and nothing worthy of over a 6 or so.

I find it generic too but that doesn't bother me specially considering the generic stuff that I still enjoy from more extreme genres. I would give it a 7,7 - 8,0 myself.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.01.2013 - 15:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.01.2013 at 15:32

I find it generic too but that doesn't bother me specially considering the generic stuff that I still enjoy from more extreme genres. I would give it a 7,7 - 8,0 myself.

I don't mind generic if it is well done and not boring. And here it isn't well done imo and it is a total snoozefest for me. Way too sugary and killed by a lifeless production, almost no dynamics etc etc
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.01.2013 - 17:45
bitethepain

Excited to see the official end of the year list. I usually find a lot of cool stuff that I missed. I'm sure this list will change but here are my top 20 for 2012 as of now.
1. Ne Oblivicaris - The Portal of I - innovative and different; my favorite of the year, Dave Mathews meats black metal
2. Testament - Dark Roots of the Earth - nothing new, but great songwriting and lyrics, catchiest songs of the year, hasn't left my stereo since I got it, and god damn those guitar solos are delicious
3. Swallow the Sun - Emerald Forest and the Blackbird - beautiful and haunting, extremely impressed every time I listen, sends goosebumps up my spine
4. Woods of Ypres - Grey Skies and Electric Lights - favorite lyrics of the year (they particularly hit home for me), contemplative and brooding gothic metal
5. Eluveitie - Helvetios - the Eluveiite album I'd recommend to someone new, a lot of hard work and thought put into this, very diverse songs
6. Enslaved - Riitiir - this band never fails to impress me, always interesting and heavy
7. Kreator - Phantom Antichrist - a kick-ass album, great thrash songs, some experimentation, love it!
8. Ihsahn - Eremita - experimental black metal, innovative, never heard anything quite like this
9. Rush - Clockwork Angels - been a fan since I was 16, this album blew me away, so much fun packed into this one album
10. Sabaton - Corulus Rex- catchy and fun with a history lesson
11. Gojira - l'enfant Sauvage - dismissed it at first as I like their other albums better, but a few more listens changed my mind
12. Deftones - Koi No Yokan - songs always grab my attention, end up playing album more than I thought I would
13. Sigh - In Somniphobia - black metal at a circus carnival, crazy and interesting stuff, don't know back catalogue but loved this
14.. Borknagor - Urd - not familiar with their other albums but loved this one esp. their song "the Earthling", reminded me of Yes as a black metal band
15. Fear FActory - the Industrialist - I didn't care for their last one (I know, I'm in the minority here), but this one grabbed me, ending could have been better, but loved it
16. Kamelot - Silverthorn - new singer who passed my expectations, catchy songs
17. Wintersun - Time 1 - despite all the drama this album is impressive, can't wait to hear it finished
18. Liberteer - Better to Die on Your Feet than Live On Your Knees- not too much into hardcore but this one grabbed my attention, very creative, reminded me of a hardcore Turisas
19. Evoken -Alto Mors - scariest album I've ever heard (haven't explored too much doom but beginning to), the soundtrack to utter desperation and death, dripping in atmosphere
20. Epica - Requiem for the Indifferent - complicated album that took numerous spins before I liked it, worth the investment

Disappointment of the Year - Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes and Wintersun"s only half an album
Runner ups for best metal of 2012 - Accept, Down, Overkill, In the Silence, Grave
Live - tie between Anthrax, Testament, Death Angel show and Kreator, Accept, Swallow the Sun show
28.01.2013 - 18:09
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Cocky pics, huh?

i was drunk and someone gave me a fake olde tymee mustache. what does one do when drunk and sporting an olde tymee mustache? they bare-knuckle box, that's what.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.01.2013 - 19:32
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.01.2013 at 15:40

Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.01.2013 at 15:32

I don't mind generic if it is well done and not boring. And here it isn't well done imo and it is a total snoozefest for me. Way too sugary and killed by a lifeless production, almost no dynamics etc etc

Thought I was the only one who finds Belasnore quite boring and generic.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
29.01.2013 - 00:46
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Milena on 28.01.2013 at 14:09

I thought I would be that person, of all, if the album is prog of course which one is it, I'm curious?

http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=11250

Check it out if you haven't, you may find some things you like about it.
----
rekt
29.01.2013 - 00:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Good album indeed.
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.01.2013 - 11:01
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by tea[m]ster on 29.01.2013 at 00:46

Written by Milena on 28.01.2013 at 14:09

http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=11250

Check it out if you haven't, you may find some things you like about it.

Aw yeah, it was on the check out list thanks to that lovely review will do.
----
7.0 means the album is good
29.01.2013 - 12:05
fixxxer_ki

Written by BitterCOld on 28.01.2013 at 07:03

and i find it amusing the person whining about "art" is the one more supportive of the less exploratory/artistic styles of metal.

That's it, could you plz let me know how you find out those one-man-responsible-for-all-digital-instruments "Black" Shit-al is artistic?
I'm really curious what you have found after carving and exploring these Black&White Shit-al bands?

I bet even usual repetitive and boring European power metal can beat them up!
29.01.2013 - 12:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by fixxxer_ki on 29.01.2013 at 12:05

That's it, could you plz let me know how you find out those one-man-responsible-for-all-digital-instruments "Black" Shit-al is artistic?
I'm really curious what you have found after carving and exploring these Black&White Shit-al bands?

I bet even usual repetitive and boring European power metal can beat them up!

Yeah, no one's interested in talking to you any more. Now you run along and carry on throwing out tantrum 1/10s to bands en masse we've mentioned here, and who you've probably never even bothered listening to, just to make yourself feel better
29.01.2013 - 16:29
demonsarising

Almost all of my Albums on my top lists are technical metal. I've got Skyharbor, Periphery, Allegaeon, The Algorithm, Sybreed, Glass Cloud etc.
29.01.2013 - 17:45
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Well, i don't understand this thing.

Whenever Metal Storm Awards approaches, there has to be one dumbass who goes against all odds and fights for this panties no matter what the fuck is he/she upto?!

And why sweetheart like IJOOEI has to everytime defends his and MS's integrity? Why only IJOOEI? W-h-y?
29.01.2013 - 18:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Why only JOOE? do you know how many times i've been through that rodeo? shit i wrote two articles on the process focusingon the awards nominee selection as well as results.

with someone like fixxxer it's pointless to bother. it's like screaming at a wall.
----

29.01.2013 - 18:29
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Oh shit, lol i didn't see this coming.

fixxxer_ki got banned for 95 days. Well, we have officially now saved 4 to 5 pages of his stupid barking.
29.01.2013 - 18:36
The Voyager
The Table
Written by bitethepain on 28.01.2013 at 17:45

2. Testament - Dark Roots of the Earth - great songwriting and lyrics

What am I reading?
29.01.2013 - 20:48
Candlemass
Defaeco
Could be more interesting guys.

Nah, Just joking
Thx for sharing!
30.01.2013 - 00:00
Edmund Fogg

Wowm, I just realise nobody metioned Prog discovery of the year: Distorted Harmony! Guess I'll just have to go on a killing spree
----
30.01.2013 - 04:15
psykometal
A staff guy...

Y'all aren't the only ones, I tried several times to listen to their first album but it was just too long and drawn out (even a bit contrived sounding from what little I actually recall). It did bore me to sleep at one point, I never was interested in checking out the new album as a by-product said disinterest. I just don't have a deep enough hatred/disdain/whatever of them as you and Joe seem to have to make a fuss about it. But since we seem to be creating a head count of likes to dislikes I figured I'd chime in this time.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

30.01.2013 - 04:31
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.01.2013 at 17:45

Whenever Metal Storm Awards approaches, there has to be one dumbass who goes against all odds and fights for this panties no matter what the fuck is he/she upto?!

I still recall last year some idjit was so pissed at Machine Head winning the thrash cat that he actually tried to add to Machine Head's bio (at the top in ALL CAPS) that they were not a thrash band and they did not deserve to win the thrash cat in the MSAs. Here is what the moron posted as his Comment for why he was trying edit their Bio:

"As you can clearly see, it says Post-Thrash/Groove Metal on the Metal Archives page, and since they're a much more competent site than you guys, they are right, and you are wrong! I will not stand for this crap! Machine Head IS NOT winning the thrash award, because THEY ARE NOT THRASH METAL!"

It's even funnier if you read it in your head with Cartman's screaming whiny bitch voice. Lmao!
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

30.01.2013 - 10:28
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Edmund Fogg on 30.01.2013 at 00:00

Wowm, I just realise nobody metioned Prog discovery of the year: Distorted Harmony! Guess I'll just have to go on a killing spree
Actually, at least 6 of the staff have heard it, while none of them think it's the discovery of the year for prog, we all enjoyed it
----
loves 小巫
30.01.2013 - 13:51
Edmund Fogg

Written by Ag Fox on 30.01.2013 at 10:28

Actually, at least 6 of the staff have heard it, while none of them think it's the discovery of the year for prog, we all enjoyed it

Well it was for me, can't wait to see the awards then. I might have missed a couple of bands this year.
----

Hits total: 12893 | This month: 14