Metal Storm logo
9th Annual Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting

ZomgzomgZOMGwtfbbq!?!?11!

It's February 1st, which means it's the moment you've all been waiting for? The 9th Annual Metal Storm Awards are upon us. We've done a lot of work in setting this whole thing up and now it's your turn to bust your voting nut 30 seconds in to the month then spend the next 28 days whining because we didn't include your favorite album or put it under the wrong genre.

Seriously though, take your time and check out our nominees. We've got LOTS of first timers that made the cut and are worth taking a listen to before casting your vote. And for any questions regarding what category a band belongs in please ask HERE.

Enjoy.

\m/

Team MS.
Posted: 01.02.2013 by BitterCOld

Comments page 4 / 7

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 208   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 1392 users
02.02.2013 - 02:35
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.02.2013 at 02:33

Yeah, only official ones (which means staff/elite/contributors)...

Gotcha. Although, I hope some of my fellow MSer's like what I bring to the table
----
rekt
02.02.2013 - 04:29
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by Unhealer on 02.02.2013 at 01:31

My face when I realized I already knew every prog metal album nominee. I'm a fucking prognerd.
I thought all the nominees weren't that obscure this year for prog. Last year we had Thence. This year, I think most prog fans on the site have been pretty vocal about most of these nominees already, so there was less of a surprise factor. If you ask me, I think it's a strong year for the category and some albums that I really enjoyed didn't get in.
Written by Iriki on 02.02.2013 at 01:46

The latest Circus Maximus album appeared to be unnoticed by most of people
they weren't unnoticed. In fact, their previous one is one of my favourite prog releases, but we felt there are other more deserving albums to be nominated this year
----
loves 小巫
02.02.2013 - 05:03
Edmund Fogg
Voted in most categories that I listened to this year. Only ones remaining: Avantgarde, Black, Death and Extreme Doom. Will probably drag those till the last minute. First World Metalhead proplem!
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
02.02.2013 - 06:04
Soulhole
I love MS award season! This is my go to source to discover the best new metal bands and their new albums every year, and I'm always overwhelmed with the excellent variety that is posted here. Whenever I get tired of the same old thing I come to MS to discover something new, and whenever I want to discover something great I always turn to the MS Award archive! YOU GUYS ROCK! Thanks for your hard work and dedication to all that is MeTaL. \m/
02.02.2013 - 08:05
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I think this was an average year in general, and for me the best releases were in Doom and Melodeath category. I have more or less my list of best albums, but I'm not going to vote before hearing more of the nominated albums specially in these categories. I think the MSA is a great opportunity to catch up on our favourite genres and perhaps get new bands in our collection.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
02.02.2013 - 08:10
Mattybu
The fact that Exumer is in the thrash category shows how 2012 was for thrash... I don't know 2012 just seemed lame to me other than CC who didn't even get nominated so... wrote in my vote for let-down and that's basically the only one I felt it was worth voting on
02.02.2013 - 15:22
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Well I've already listened to plenty of albums in 2012 but looking at MS AWARDS, I got seriously disappointed,now I still should listen to plenty of albums
02.02.2013 - 16:11
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Good work, by the staff, from what I've seen so far
Written by Mattybu on 02.02.2013 at 08:10
The fact that Exumer is in the thrash category shows how 2012 was for thrash... I don't know 2012 just seemed lame to me other than CC who didn't even get nominated so... wrote in my vote for let-down and that's basically the only one I felt it was worth voting on
I can agree with most of this, but it's nice to see a few more among the write-ins for me to investigate. I can throw in Mastery (from Canada)'s effort as another candidate, but it's unlikely I'll be voting it Best Thrash of the Year
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
02.02.2013 - 16:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite

lol It's tough competition for prog every year, you know. I would love to see Vertigo Steps up there and they didn't make it either. it's always a very difficult category. What do you think about the other nominees though?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.02.2013 - 17:35
Zap
I'm fine with the nominees, it's not like there were many albums I really really wanted to be nominated. There were three, and all three were nominated, and I'm voting for them, so yah, that's cool.
02.02.2013 - 18:08
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Syk on 02.02.2013 at 16:11

Written by Mattybu on 02.02.2013 at 08:10
I I can throw in Mastery (from Canada)'s effort as another candidate, but it's unlikely I'll be voting it Best Thrash of the Year

Well, then i'll slide Lich King's latest than Mastery's In The Key Of Kill.

But, won't deny the fact that Lich's latest record isn't even close to nominees of 2012. It could be tough call in thrash cat but I think i'll be going for "Deathhammer".
02.02.2013 - 18:27
Iriki
Written by BloodTears on 02.02.2013 at 16:35

lol It's tough competition for prog every year, you know. I would love to see Vertigo Steps up there and they didn't make it either. it's always a very difficult category. What do you think about the other nominees though?

Most of them I just got a quick look up. Ørkenkjøtt and Dissona have very interesting avantgardish passages, although it's not my daily cup of tea, it's good to hear sometimes. I really need to dig them up.

BTBAM, Threshold and OSI are pretty enjoyable and with personality, they are closer to my taste, I have to listen more times.

To-Mera is an special case, I think it's the only band with female vocals that I actually like. I used to listen to them before a lot, but then I got tired, because I wanted something different than the usual Dream Theater-style or the ethereal one in Earthbound. This album have a new style, this motivated me to listen back to them.

The albums i listened more were Ne Obliviscaris, Enochian Theory, and Enslaved.

In RITIIR the atmosphere relies a bit too much in the vocals, I was expecting something like Axioma Ethica Odini. On the other hand, they improved their song structures. In the Silence debut looks promising. Enochian newer showed that they really reafirm their style, avoiding those harsh vocals that didn't fit on Evolution. I was following Ne Obliviscaris since their demo, their expected debut really blows me away.
02.02.2013 - 18:28
Justicelust
GREAT. I have been waiting for this, it is time to find some good bands in the nominees. BUT, where is Swallow The Sun and Wintersun for God's sake?! since I know I vote for Swallow The Sun in Doom category but in which category do I vote for Wintersun?
02.02.2013 - 18:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Justicelust on 02.02.2013 at 18:28

GREAT. I have been waiting for this, it is time to find some good bands in the nominees. BUT, where is Swallow The Sun and Wintersun for God's sake?! since I know I vote for Swallow The Sun in Doom category but in which category do I vote for Wintersun?

Both didn't make it into the final ten nominees in doom and Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal because when tallying the votes of all staff/elites the final nominated ones scored a lot higher than those two albums.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2013 - 19:00
Justicelust
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2013 at 18:44

Written by Justicelust on 02.02.2013 at 18:28

Both didn't make it into the final ten nominees in doom and Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal because when tallying the votes of all staff/elites the final nominated ones scored a lot higher than those two albums.

Thanks Marcel it's weird but reasonable that they didn't make it into the nominees. I may reconsider my votes, I will listen to all the nominated albums before rather than rushing into voting for my favorite albums.
02.02.2013 - 23:59
Iriki
Yeah, no mentioning Swallow the Sun annoyed me a bit, that was my favorite album this year
03.02.2013 - 00:02
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
So then write it in.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

03.02.2013 - 00:45
IronAngel
Another year of really strange genre placements but strong titles. Only missing Menace Ruine, Profetus, Hail Spirit Noir and P.H.O.B.O.S. as must-names. I guess I could write in Menace Ruine but I'm not sure where. I just voted Pallbearer in doom. This time around I had already heard every album in doom, and missed only 1 or 2 in black, extreme doom and sludge/stoner. Not a whole lot of new albums to check out, which is a relief.

But how could I have missed that new A Million Dead Birds Laughing album? Really glad that it was nominated or I wouldn't have learned of it. Sounds great and might take Anaal Nathrakh's position as my fave in that category. A few to check out, but I know from descriptions that I won't like Cattle Decapitation and co.
03.02.2013 - 00:55
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
One may talk about tastes and likes and so on, but having awards for 2012 without nominating Sabaton - Carolus Rex, Mors Principium Est - ...And Death Said Live and Wintersun - Time I ... more than strange. Worse thing is, I remebered they are missing and that I should add them only after I voted and you can't alter your votes...
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
03.02.2013 - 01:13
Ivor
Staff
staff
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 03.02.2013 at 00:55

Worse thing is, I remebered they are missing and that I should add them only after I voted and you can't alter your votes...

Heh, doesn't it like by definition mean that the missing bands weren't good enough if you remembered about them only afterwards? Be reasonable and face it. As for the votes, you should be able to erase your vote and cast again. Use the awards index page.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
03.02.2013 - 01:41
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by IronAngel on 03.02.2013 at 00:45

Profetus, P.H.O.B.O.S.

Damn, didn't notice it until you mentioned it ... both are really deserving of a spot among the nominees.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
03.02.2013 - 01:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

Another year of really strange genre placements but strong titles. Only missing Menace Ruine, Profetus, Hail Spirit Noir and P.H.O.B.O.S. as must-names. I guess I could write in Menace Ruine but I'm not sure where. I just voted Pallbearer in doom. This time around I had already heard every album in doom, and missed only 1 or 2 in black, extreme doom and sludge/stoner. Not a whole lot of new albums to check out, which is a relief.

But how could I have missed that new A Million Dead Birds Laughing album? Really glad that it was nominated or I wouldn't have learned of it. Sounds great and might take Anaal Nathrakh's position as my fave in that category. A few to check out, but I know from descriptions that I won't like Cattle Decapitation and co.

I would have loved P.H.O.B.O.S. and Menace Ruine to be in the awards, but it would have made the extreme doom cat. even more complicated and difficult! also find it weird that Hail Spirit Noir didn't make it. To me that record had a kind of across-the-board appeal, be it black, avant garde or whatever. Oh well.
03.02.2013 - 01:55
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite

I guess I could write in Menace Ruine but I'm not sure where.

They go in Extreme Doom but as WaterTrident/Array (Damnit Array!!! ) said there is a special thread for those questions.
----

03.02.2013 - 03:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 03.02.2013 at 00:55

One may talk about tastes and likes and so on, but having awards for 2012 without nominating Sabaton - Carolus Rex, Mors Principium Est - ...And Death Said Live and Wintersun - Time I ... more than strange. Worse thing is, I remebered they are missing and that I should add them only after I voted and you can't alter your votes...

you can delete your votes from the awards front page.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.02.2013 - 03:29
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
@Rhaegar
On the MSA front page there are little red x's next to the individual votes or at the very bottom you can click on "Delete all votes"
----

03.02.2013 - 08:59
Moose
Written by psykometal on 01.02.2013 at 01:57

Written by demonsarising on 01.02.2013 at 01:48

How did Periphery's Periphery II not make a nomination in Djent/Math metal? It was a seriously good album!

For the same reason anything does not make the top 10 of any cat, we in Staff did not agree with your opinion.

I guess that is the fairest way nominees can be chosen.... still, what I've read over at getdjent.com suggests fans of the genre might pick it as djent album of the year... so to not make the list at all seems strange
03.02.2013 - 09:15
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Moose on 03.02.2013 at 08:59

I guess that is the fairest way nominees can be chosen.... still, what I've read over at getdjent.com suggests fans of the genre might pick it as djent album of the year... so to not make the list at all seems strange

Well of course a site dedicated to djent is going to list the release from the biggest known djent band in the world (save for Meshuggah if you count them as djent, I prefer not to ) as the best djent album of the year. But several of the Metal Storm Staff (and users as well) are not a bunch of crazy djent fanatics who go gaga for every djent band that pops up in the world (not saying you are) so I guess you could say our opinions of it are a bit more unbiased.

And by no means am I saying that we're a bunch of "djent haters who had to stomach our way through all the djent releases just so we could include it into a category" either, just indicating that our tastes are a bit more varied than the average djent fan who probably worships the very ground that Misha Mansoor plays guitar upon.
----

03.02.2013 - 09:45
Moose
Written by psykometal on 03.02.2013 at 09:15

But several of the Metal Storm Staff (and users as well) are not a bunch of crazy djent fanatics

Wait... but wouldn't it be best if the selections for the DJENT category were made by DJENT fanatics?
I feel as if they would have the most educated opinion, given it's their favorite genre of music.

(On a related note, i've always thought it would be cool to have an extra rating section for albums... keep the general rating system, but add another rating reserved only for people who list themselves as a fan of that genre. Then you could see for example, the highest rated thrash metal album, as voted only by fans of thrash metal).
03.02.2013 - 09:50
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Moose on 03.02.2013 at 09:45

Wait... but wouldn't it be best if the selections for the DJENT category were made by DJENT fanatics?
I feel as if they would have the most educated opinion, given it's their favorite genre of music.

On a djent site, yes. On a more varied site that caters to many different users/genres, no.

For a site like Metal Storm it's best to have a more unbiased opinion because then maybe those djent haters/detracters might find something in the genre they actually like rather than seeing the same popular djent bands over and over and over again without ever getting any exposure to the lesser known bands that maybe they will like because they aren't just the "popular shit bands".

Also that's part of the point and the fun of the MSAs, to help users find bands they might not have otherwise known existed and to help expose lesser known bands to users who might not have discovered those bands otherwise. If somebody wants to know who the latest and greatest djent bands are they can go to a site like getdjent for that but if they want djent that isn't the same popular drivel you find plastered all over sites like getdjent, djent that is also liked by metalheads that don't just follow popular trends and who actually judge the bands on their music and not their popularity index then come check out the MSA noms.
----

03.02.2013 - 10:28
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by Moose on 03.02.2013 at 09:45

Written by psykometal on 03.02.2013 at 09:15

But several of the Metal Storm Staff (and users as well) are not a bunch of crazy djent fanatics

Djent is indeed a favourite of at least one of the staff. But there are quite a lot of categories and it will be silly to exclude other's opinions when their absolute favourite genre isn't djent. We still appreciate the music. In fact, just taking me as an example, I don't think I have a favourite sub-genre of metal.

Besides, if we had identical opinion as some other genre-specific sites, that makes our own awards a bit useless, doesn't it?

We genuinely hope you've found some cool music from the awards otherwise you would have missed
----
loves 小巫

Hits total: 14097 | This month: 17