Metal Storm logo
9th Annual Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting

ZomgzomgZOMGwtfbbq!?!?11!

It's February 1st, which means it's the moment you've all been waiting for? The 9th Annual Metal Storm Awards are upon us. We've done a lot of work in setting this whole thing up and now it's your turn to bust your voting nut 30 seconds in to the month then spend the next 28 days whining because we didn't include your favorite album or put it under the wrong genre.

Seriously though, take your time and check out our nominees. We've got LOTS of first timers that made the cut and are worth taking a listen to before casting your vote. And for any questions regarding what category a band belongs in please ask HERE.

Enjoy.

\m/

Team MS.
Posted: 01.02.2013 by BitterCOld

Comments page 5 / 7

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 208   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 1392 users
03.02.2013 - 12:04
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Written by Ivor on 03.02.2013 at 01:13

Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 03.02.2013 at 00:55

Worse thing is, I remebered they are missing and that I should add them only after I voted and you can't alter your votes...

Heh, doesn't it like by definition mean that the missing bands weren't good enough if you remembered about them only afterwards? Be reasonable and face it. As for the votes, you should be able to erase your vote and cast again. Use the awards index page.

I.

Not when you cast your votes from work, so you do it with half mind set on it. I realised what was missing when I got home.

Thank you and BitterCOld for the direction about deleting votes, of course when I opened page today, I realised there are option to delete it. Silly me, note to self: never post in a hurry and with mind half set on it.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
03.02.2013 - 12:07
Kamil
Account deleted
Btw. I am happy with the fact that potential of Dark Empire has finally been recognized and appreciated by metal community. They have earned it
03.02.2013 - 22:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 03.02.2013 at 12:04

Thank you and BitterCOld for the direction about deleting votes, of course when I opened page today, I realised there are option to delete it. Silly me, note to self: never post in a hurry and with mind half set on it.

don't sweat it. you asking probably saved a couple other people from having to do likewise.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.02.2013 - 22:31
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Cool stuff, it was fun being able to vote here for the first time. Some of my favorite bands appeared in the polls, and a few cool surprises were there too. Looking forward to starting the process over again for 2013.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
04.02.2013 - 11:01
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Moose on 03.02.2013 at 08:59

Written by psykometal on 01.02.2013 at 01:57

Written by demonsarising on 01.02.2013 at 01:48

How did Periphery's Periphery II not make a nomination in Djent/Math metal? It was a seriously good album!

For the same reason anything does not make the top 10 of any cat, we in Staff did not agree with your opinion.

I guess that is the fairest way nominees can be chosen.... still, what I've read over at getdjent.com suggests fans of the genre might pick it as djent album of the year... so to not make the list at all seems strange

I'm not a fan of the genre, but still picked it as favorite djent album of the year
Well, Periphery and Skyharbor. For some reason Periphery weren't all that popular with the other staffers though, especially not with those who consider themselves fans of the genre.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
04.02.2013 - 16:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 03.02.2013 at 01:46
I would have loved P.H.O.B.O.S. and Menace Ruine to be in the awards, but it would have made the extreme doom cat. even more complicated and difficult! also find it weird that Hail Spirit Noir didn't make it. To me that record had a kind of across-the-board appeal, be it black, avant garde or whatever. Oh well.

It would have been great to see P.H.O.B.O.S. in the awards indeed... About Hair Spirit Noir: It was going to be in the Avantgarde awards and it didn't make it. It was quite close though... Same with De Magia Veterum.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.02.2013 - 16:38
Paz
Elite
Still I'm glad that the other two albums "made in Mories" make it
04.02.2013 - 16:54
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
About the "omissions" and similar questions:
The reason why we do this in the first place is because this is a team of people who like keeping in touch with modern metal - some are genre enthusiasts, and some listen to a little bit of everything - and who would be listening to hundreds of albums every year either way. Sometimes there's way too many good releases in a year so some get inevitably omitted, but we hope we manage to find ten amazing albums with, to steal Joe's expression, across-the-board appeal, and we hope you all listen to them and like them and we really like getting feedback on our efforts... which was overwhelmingly positive this year! Thank you.

It's a colossal things and it takes us about a month to get this sorted out after the year ends (not to mention the work that's done over the year, but in January it gets crazily hectic - ask the first timers in the staff/elite!) In February people usually stop caring about year-end lists and similar, but whoever listens to current albums just in order to make a neat year-end list deserves to be slapped in the face it's the discovery that counts, and we hope you aren't tired of discovering because the MSA will make an appearance every year until we're old and wrinkly, and gently tickle your ears, or perhaps blast them off, depending on the type of metal you listen to

As you can notice, I'm full of love today. Cheers!
----
7.0 means the album is good
05.02.2013 - 02:58
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Are there any catagories left that Wintersun hasn't ben written in?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.02.2013 - 03:00
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by M C Vice on 05.02.2013 at 02:58

I went on a quest to find an answer to your question.... the answer is no
05.02.2013 - 05:59
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Alex F on 05.02.2013 at 03:00

Written by M C Vice on 05.02.2013 at 02:58

I went on a quest to find an answer to your question.... the answer is no

Bugger. I didn't have anything to vote for in death, so I was hoping to use that.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.02.2013 - 15:39
skorpio1977
Written by Iriki on 02.02.2013 at 18:27

Written by BloodTears on 02.02.2013 at 16:35

Written by Iriki on 02.02.2013 at 01:46

The latest Circus Maximus album appeared to be unnoticed by most of people

lol It's tough competition for prog every year, you know. I would love to see Vertigo Steps up there and they didn't make it either. it's always a very difficult category. What do you think about the other nominees though?

Most of them I just got a quick look up. Ørkenkjøtt and Dissona have very interesting avantgardish passages, although it's not my daily cup of tea, it's good to hear sometimes. I really need to dig them up.

BTBAM, Threshold and OSI are pretty enjoyable and with personality, they are closer to my taste, I have to listen more times.

To-Mera is an special case, I think it's the only band with female vocals that I actually like. I used to listen to them before a lot, but then I got tired, because I wanted something different than the usual Dream Theater-style or the ethereal one in Earthbound. This album have a new style, this motivated me to listen back to them.

The albums i listened more were Ne Obliviscaris, Enochian Theory, and Enslaved.

In RITIIR the atmosphere relies a bit too much in the vocals, I was expecting something like Axioma Ethica Odini. On the other hand, they improved their song structures. In the Silence debut looks promising. Enochian newer showed that they really reafirm their style, avoiding those harsh vocals that didn't fit on Evolution. I was following Ne Obliviscaris since their demo, their expected debut really blows me away.

And what about Ihshan's "Eremita"? i was extremely involved by this album, and i don't understan why it didn´t appear in the list.
05.02.2013 - 18:01
Evil Chip
I miss P.H.O.B.O.S. too, as it was easily on my top 10 from 2012. But still I'm gonna check their other contenders in Extreme Doom? Industrial? I don't know...
05.02.2013 - 20:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Evil Chip on 05.02.2013 at 18:01

I miss P.H.O.B.O.S. too, as it was easily on my top 10 from 2012. But still I'm gonna check their other contenders in Extreme Doom? Industrial? I don't know...

Industrial is doing amazing... Blows away most of the industrial albums in most of the past Awards.
Blut Aus Nord, CSSABA and Igorrr are probably the strongest there.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.02.2013 - 20:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.02.2013 at 20:09

Industrial is doing amazing... Blows away most of the industrial albums in most of the past Awards.
Blut Aus Nord, CSSABA and Igorrr are probably the strongest there.

The best thing about it is is that either BaN or Igorrr are odds on to win if we go by amount of votes those albums have received.
05.02.2013 - 21:22
pagb666
Just gave a listen to "The Chant" album in the Gothic Metal category... Wtf is a progressive rock album doing there?
05.02.2013 - 21:23
mz
I was totally out of scene in 2012 and will check the nominates for black, death, extreme doom, industrial and progressive. Thank you staff of metal storm
Btw, I have a suggestion: it seems that extreme doom category is too competitive. I think it is because the fact that this category consists of too many sub genres including black doom, death doom, sludge doom, funeral doom and drone and probably something else which I am not familiar with. Is it possible to divide extreme doom category into two or more ones? For example, putting the whole noise/dark ambient/drone thing into one category?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
05.02.2013 - 22:27
tmclane
Obligatory complaining that Allegaeon wasn't in for Melodeath
05.02.2013 - 22:51
Iriki
Written by skorpio1977 on 05.02.2013 at 15:39

Written by Iriki on 02.02.2013 at 18:27

Written by BloodTears on 02.02.2013 at 16:35

Written by Iriki on 02.02.2013 at 01:46

The latest Circus Maximus album appeared to be unnoticed by most of people

lol It's tough competition for prog every year, you know. I would love to see Vertigo Steps up there and they didn't make it either. it's always a very difficult category. What do you think about the other nominees though?

Most of them I just got a quick look up. Ørkenkjøtt and Dissona have very interesting avantgardish passages, although it's not my daily cup of tea, it's good to hear sometimes. I really need to dig them up.

BTBAM, Threshold and OSI are pretty enjoyable and with personality, they are closer to my taste, I have to listen more times.

To-Mera is an special case, I think it's the only band with female vocals that I actually like. I used to listen to them before a lot, but then I got tired, because I wanted something different than the usual Dream Theater-style or the ethereal one in Earthbound. This album have a new style, this motivated me to listen back to them.

The albums i listened more were Ne Obliviscaris, Enochian Theory, and Enslaved.

In RITIIR the atmosphere relies a bit too much in the vocals, I was expecting something like Axioma Ethica Odini. On the other hand, they improved their song structures. In the Silence debut looks promising. Enochian newer showed that they really reafirm their style, avoiding those harsh vocals that didn't fit on Evolution. I was following Ne Obliviscaris since their demo, their expected debut really blows me away.

And what about Ihshan's "Eremita"? i was extremely involved by this album, and i don't understan why it didn´t appear in the list.

Indeed, actually I voted on him in the Black Metal as a Write-in vote
05.02.2013 - 22:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Obligatory "get over it"ing people complaining THEIR fave albums wasn't in for [cat]
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

05.02.2013 - 22:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Iriki on 05.02.2013 at 22:51

He goes in Progressive.
----

06.02.2013 - 00:40
Iriki
Written by psykometal on 05.02.2013 at 22:59

Written by Iriki on 05.02.2013 at 22:51

He goes in Progressive.

It could be, but i chose putting him in Black Metal because I got so many favs in prog that I wouldn't have chosen him among them.

BTW, it was the same problem with Shining's lastest, which I didn't find as nominated in any category. ):
06.02.2013 - 00:52
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Iriki on 06.02.2013 at 00:40

It could be, but i chose putting him in Black Metal because I got so many favs in prog that I wouldn't have chosen him among them.

BTW, it was the same problem with Shining's lastest, which I didn't find as nominated in any category. ):

That's all fine and dandy that you didn't want to put him in Progressive but that's the cat he goes in. This thread was setup to ask what cats albums go in so I'd advise using it. And Shining goes in Black metal BTW.

And that makes no sense to put Shining in Prog and Ihsahn in Black when Shining is more black than Ihsahn and Ihsahn is more prog than Shining... O.o
----

06.02.2013 - 01:21
Iriki
I agree. As I told, I just put Ihsahn in Black for practical senses, otherwise, I wouldn't have chosen any band in black metal category, and i think he deserves a vote for his album in at least one category related.
06.02.2013 - 02:47
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Iriki on 06.02.2013 at 01:21

I agree. As I told, I just put Ihsahn in Black for practical senses, otherwise, I wouldn't have chosen any band in black metal category, and i think he deserves a vote for his album in at least one category related.

Ok so if you don't like the Staff Black noms but you like Shining then vote for him in Black where he belongs. And if you don't like the Staff Prog noms but you like Ihsahn then vote for him in Progressive where he belongs. I fail to see why this concept is so difficult. It makes much more sense to vote for your favorite BLACK metal album in the BLACK metal category and your favorite PROG album in the PROGRESSIVE metal category.

Honestly you should just go ahead and flip your votes now because they're going to get nuked eventually for being in the wrong categories anyway.
----

06.02.2013 - 02:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I am wondering how the hell anyone could actually see Ihsahn as black metal? Just because he used to be in Emperor? His solo work realy has nothing to do with black whatsoever.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2013 - 03:00
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2013 at 02:53

I am wondering how the hell anyone could actually see Ihsahn as black metal? Just because he used to be in Emperor? His solo work realy has nothing to do with black whatsoever.

Agreed. Not to mention the fact that part of the disbandment of Emperor was due to his lack of desire to work within the confines of the black metal genre anymore.
----

06.02.2013 - 19:27
togo95
Oh, It's really impossible to choose from the extreme doom category. Black and death metal were tough ones as well. By the way the nominations are great, just as I would expect from MS, keep up the good work.
06.02.2013 - 20:24
Iriki
Ok, you win, I'll change that.
07.02.2013 - 05:37
Soulhole
Hearing tons of good stuff so far. Won't be voting till the last day.

Hits total: 14104 | This month: 24