01. City Of Azure Fire
02. Echoes Of Battle
03. Wild Autumn Wind
04. To Walk The Ashes Of Dead Empires
05. A Voice Born Of Stone And Dust
06. Book Of The Fallen

Top 20 albums of 2013: 2

Additional info
The album can be streamed in its entirety on the band's Bandcamp page.

Guest review by
Metren
Rating:
Caladan Brood's Echoes Of Battle sounds like Summoning. There, now we've got the most obvious thing out of the way and can proceed. Echoes Of Battle features competent songwriting, an epic soundscape, good vocals, some catchy riffs and also, it is not very good.

OK, I know I have already lost many readers due to that last statement, but for those, who choose to stick around, allow me to explain why this album isn't all that great.

Read more ››
published 07.03.2016 | Comments (12)

Found in 72 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 85   Visited by: 1604 users
02.02.2013 - 14:11
Rating: 9
Erik M.

Hmm, good to see this band got added due to my suggestion. Having heard the first two tracks, I'm certain it's going to be a great album.
16.02.2013 - 04:01
Paz

Quite good Summoning worship here.
16.02.2013 - 11:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Is that out yet? omg! omg!

edit: certainly inspired by Summoning, but not only - i hear pure folk metal refrains, third song is pretty much like Nargaroth's "A Whisper Underneath The Bark Of Old Trees" (from last album)...this is far beyond being just a Summoning tribute...great!
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.02.2013 - 22:05
Rating: 7
Draugen

One could easily accuse Caladan Brood for being a total rip off but personally I choose to see it as more like a homage to Summoning and their characteristic sound. There is no denying that both the musicianship and production are top notch and I also appreciate the fact that there are at least some signs of originality presented in the form of a few folky moments as well as the prevalent use of clean vocals.

Having said that though, I still hope that the band have the courage and ability to increase the originality factor if they ever do release another album.
18.02.2013 - 21:10
Erik M.

Written by Draugen on 17.02.2013 at 22:05

One could easily accuse Caladan Brood for being a total rip off but personally I choose to see it as more like a homage to Summoning and their characteristic sound. There is no denying that both the musicianship and production are top notch and I also appreciate the fact that there are at least some signs of originality presented in the form of a few folky moments as well as the prevalent use of clean vocals.

Having said that though, I still hope that the band have the courage and ability to increase the originality factor if they ever do release another album.

They do sound like Summoning, but they're definitely different enough in my opinion. Summoning doesn't use clean vocals and has less folk elements for instance like you already said.

And even if it was a rip-off, this album is still amazing and sounds original to me. And what do you mean "if they ever do release another album"? I'm pretty confident they will... they have great potential.
19.02.2013 - 13:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Erik M. on 18.02.2013 at 21:10

Summoning doesn't use clean vocals

they actually do - either through the sfx samples (i presume?) like in "Arcenstone" or take the last part of "Land Of The Dead"...also with the featuring of Tanja Borsky in "Where Hope and Daylight Die" introduced some clean vocals to their music

but i agree - its not that typical for their stuff
----

19.02.2013 - 16:09
Draugen

Written by Erik M. on 18.02.2013 at 21:10

They do sound like Summoning, but they're definitely different enough in my opinion. Summoning doesn't use clean vocals and has less folk elements for instance like you already said.

And even if it was a rip-off, this album is still amazing and sounds original to me. And what do you mean "if they ever do release another album"? I'm pretty confident they will... they have great potential.

To consider Cladan Brood's sound original is somewhat silly if you ask me, in spite of the minor details mentioned. Is that necessarily a bad thing though? Absolutely not. It all comes down to what you are expecting from the album and if it is "different enough" if that is what you are looking for in the first place. Personally, I expected a slightly different take on Summoning's sound which was exactly what I got. However, I still feel that it would be nice if they did try and stray even further away from that though since I am convinced that they do have the potential to be so much more than yet another Summoning clone which they after all are in my opinion. Once again though, that ain't necessarily a bad thing which I think my initial comment made pretty clear.

As for your question regarding that last comment, I simply put it like that because we can't be a 100% sure until it is announced that that will in fact be the case.
19.02.2013 - 22:45
Erik M.

Written by Ellrohir on 19.02.2013 at 13:02

they actually do - either through the sfx samples (i presume?) like in "Arcenstone" or take the last part of "Land Of The Dead"...also with the featuring of Tanja Borsky in "Where Hope and Daylight Die" introduced some clean vocals to their music

but i agree - its not that typical for their stuff

Yeah, but Caladan Brood uses clean vocals a lot more though, which is something that definitely appeals to me. I only heard Oath Bound once, but I was incredibly impressed and I feel like it could even top Stronghold.

Written by Draugen on 19.02.2013 at 16:09

To consider Cladan Brood's sound original is somewhat silly if you ask me, in spite of the minor details mentioned. Is that necessarily a bad thing though? Absolutely not. It all comes down to what you are expecting from the album and if it is "different enough" if that is what you are looking for in the first place. Personally, I expected a slightly different take on Summoning's sound which was exactly what I got. However, I still feel that it would be nice if they did try and stray even further away from that though since I am convinced that they do have the potential to be so much more than yet another Summoning clone which they after all are in my opinion. Once again though, that ain't necessarily a bad thing which I think my initial comment made pretty clear.

As for your question regarding that last comment, I simply put it like that because we can't be a 100% sure until it is announced that that will in fact be the case.

Fair enough. To be honest I feel out of every Summoning album that I've heard (everything except Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame) they all have something unique, though still sound 100% like Summoning (except for Lugburz of course). And yeah, without Summoning there wouldn't be Caladan Brood... they're indeed inspired greatly by them. Maybe they will be more original with their next album, who knows. Not really important for now, as I'm just enjoying this album a lot at the moment.
20.02.2013 - 01:29
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Erik M. on 19.02.2013 at 22:45

I only heard Oath Bound once, but I was incredibly impressed and I feel like it could even top Stronghold.

indeed it can at least it can seriously compete...every album by them has super-solid songs, but "Northward" and especially "Land Of The Dead" stand above all for me
----

01.03.2013 - 18:41
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Imperative for me to check out this band as it based on the most well-written and innovative fantasy series I have every had the pleasure of reading: The Malazan Book of the Fallen.
06.03.2013 - 14:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
A pleasant romp, but a little saccharine-drenched, as well as being about as original as Harlem Shake videos.
06.03.2013 - 22:23
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 06.03.2013 at 14:23

A pleasant romp, but a little saccharine-drenched, as well as being about as original as Harlem Shake videos.

Whoa, that's really disrespectful against Caladan Brood.
06.03.2013 - 22:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 06.03.2013 at 22:23

Whoa, that's really disrespectful against Caladan Brood.

One could argue that this entire album is disrespectful toward Summoning as it doesn't have a big disclaimer at the bottom saying how Caladan Brood basically ripped off Summoning's entire style and sound Hell, even the artwork is pure Summoning emulation.
06.03.2013 - 23:02
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 06.03.2013 at 22:43

One could argue that this entire album is disrespectful toward Summoning as it doesn't have a big disclaimer at the bottom saying how Caladan Brood basically ripped off Summoning's entire style and sound Hell, even the artwork is pure Summoning emulation.

I guess that's somewhat true... but a little exaggerated if you ask me. Still, it doesn't make the album much worse, just less original. However, I only think this album resembles "modern" Summoning a lot (Land of the Dead comes to mind). Having heard Oath Bound, it's most similar to that album, but far less similar to Stronghold, Dol Guldur or Minas Morgul (and especially Lugburz, but that goes without saying).
06.03.2013 - 23:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Some production differences and some different vocals here and there but otherwise... Yeah, this is clearly Summoning worship. It's not bad though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.03.2013 - 00:03
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.03.2013 at 23:05

Yeah, this is clearly Summoning worship.

thats why it is awesome

and i really hear a lot of other influences and other stuff in it...definitely much more original than Emyn Muil for instance...
----

07.03.2013 - 20:57
Druss

Found it very satisfying, was waiting for someone to immortalise the Malazan Books of the Fallen in metal, and I think they stepped up to the task admirably. I'm no expert on Summoning (on my first listen of ''Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame'' currently, never listened to 'em before), but I agree with those who've pointed out the folksy touches as something that keeps it from being a strict worship album.

On a side note, I recommend the books for anyone that's into fantasy with a bit of balls
15.03.2013 - 19:54
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
There's an issue on YouTube as to wether or not this sounds like Summoning... Well, to those who pretend Caladan Brood is very different from Summoning : are you familiar with the psychological term "denial"?
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
16.03.2013 - 02:21
Mattybu

Written by MétalNoir on 15.03.2013 at 19:54

There's an issue on YouTube

I don't think anyone should take youtube very seriously ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
16.03.2013 - 13:25
Until the End

It sounds like Summoning. Not a bad thing if you like Summoning, which I do.
01.04.2013 - 15:12
Skøllgrim
Northern
Obviously summoning inspired, but it does have it's own touched to it. Fans of Summoning seems to be liking this, so I guess all is good and well.
There's some very welcome clean vocals on this album.
13.04.2013 - 12:16
Masonics

Fantastic debut with obvious summoning influences, but they have a bit more mid paced sections which are great.
" A voice born of stone and dust" is a great epic chorus, really feels like your charging to battle at mt doom or something .
25.04.2013 - 19:03
sashike

Wow, didn't expect Summoning's new album to be released that early this year.
And calling this a Summoning rip-off might sound harsh, but isn't that far-fetched either.
But i think they got it right in what they wanted to do. They're delivering... and giving me the same great feeling Summoning's music has, with this wonderful mixture of epic metal grandeur, more mellow and atmospharic parts and of course sheer and intense emotions.
And I'm not only hearing Summoning in this, but also some Falkenbach (in the clean vocal sections), Moonsorrow and folklore-influences from diverse nordic or celtic inspired bands.
But even if it isn't the most original work out here, i couldn't care less. It's just my cup of tea. Hot, aromatic and delicious one.
It's just like the band-members looked at my music playlist and talked to each other, "how about making an album putting together these types of music genres this guy loves most?".
They wanted to make me happy and achieved that.

I think I like To Walk The Ashes Of Dead Empires the most.
It's so pure sounding in a great way, but on the other hand totally soul-stiring. Simply fantastic.
Favorite release of 2013 thus far until Old Mornings Dawn comes out...
06.05.2013 - 16:10
garmling
Account deleted
The best Summoning clone out there with few twists of its own! Very, very nice!
25.05.2013 - 20:21
Rating: 8
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Great album, epic, atmospheric, Summoning inspired. Can't wait to hear more from this band.
29.05.2013 - 11:48
PocketMetal

Written by Guest on 06.03.2013 at 22:43

Their Facebook cover photo has that covered ... it says " In the vein of Summoning ..." , they even shared the Summoning's trailer for Old Mornings Dawn , they're not claiming to be original .

http://www.facebook.com/caladanbroodofficial
29.05.2013 - 14:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by PocketMetal on 29.05.2013 at 11:48

Their Facebook cover photo has that covered ... it says " In the vein of Summoning ..." , they even shared the Summoning's trailer for Old Mornings Dawn , they're not claiming to be original .

http://www.facebook.com/caladanbroodofficial

Fair play to them then
02.06.2013 - 04:07
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Boring, and hella overrated.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.06.2013 - 12:44
Masonics

Written by Boxcar Willy on 02.06.2013 at 04:07

How so? because its a summoning copycat?

I found them to add little subtlety's that kept me attention span at least.
05.06.2013 - 01:56
Erik M.

Written by Masonics on 02.06.2013 at 12:44

Written by Boxcar Willy on 02.06.2013 at 04:07

How so? because its a summoning copycat?

I found them to add little subtlety's that kept me attention span at least.

He just likes disliking something most people do actually like.

If you like Summoning, you'll like this and vice versa. Well, again this would apply to most people. Personally I think it's an excellent album and on par with most albums of Summoning (about as good as Oath Bound and Dol Guldur).

Hits total: 32342 | This month: 46