01. City Of Azure Fire
02. Echoes Of Battle
03. Wild Autumn Wind
04. To Walk The Ashes Of Dead Empires
05. A Voice Born Of Stone And Dust
06. Book Of The Fallen

Top 20 albums of 2013: 2

Additional info
The album can be streamed in its entirety on the band's Bandcamp page.

Guest review by
Metren
Rating:
Caladan Brood's Echoes Of Battle sounds like Summoning. There, now we've got the most obvious thing out of the way and can proceed. Echoes Of Battle features competent songwriting, an epic soundscape, good vocals, some catchy riffs and also, it is not very good.

OK, I know I have already lost many readers due to that last statement, but for those, who choose to stick around, allow me to explain why this album isn't all that great.

Read more ››
published 07.03.2016 | Comments (12)

Found in 71 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 85   Visited by: 1602 users
01.10.2013 - 02:03
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Ellrohir on 16.02.2013 at 11:53

Is that out yet? omg! omg!

edit: certainly inspired by Summoning, but not only - i hear pure folk metal refrains, third song is pretty much like Nargaroth's "A Whisper Underneath The Bark Of Old Trees" (from last album)...this is far beyond being just a Summoning tribute...great!

Not to mention some guitar solos.

So heavy Summoning worship, but there is also innovation in Caladan Brood. I REALLY like this release.
20.10.2013 - 16:07
Saiyanity

Good stuff, I dig it.
23.10.2013 - 02:24
Korah

I'm a beginner in that style and I started few months ago with Summoning (Stronghold and the last one). At first I had some difficulties because of the so particular approach and today (with perseverance) I love it. I guess Caladan Brood should be different at some points but it's impossible for me to see them now. I will tell in 40 more listening...!
----
Don't cry for my English
08.11.2013 - 06:57
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Very bad production. Totally hated this in the first spin. As awful as it could get.
08.11.2013 - 07:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Boxcar Willy on 02.06.2013 at 04:07

Boring, and hella overrated.

+1
14.11.2013 - 10:56
Rating: 9
Masonics

LOL @ bad production posts, listen to it the second time it doesnt sound as nearly as bad as other A BM bands.
14.11.2013 - 20:29
PocketMetal

If you are a "Malazan Book of the Fallen" fan you'll probably enjoy it more , because those books are among the best fantasy ever written and it's nice to finally hear some music about it.
25.11.2013 - 09:26
Rating: 10
katacrack

Amazing artist
06.12.2013 - 21:01
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Great start for a band. Yea it's Summoning worship but in their defense, Summoning has a lot less worshipers than bands like Darkthrone, Bathory or Burzum so its not a bad thing.

As for the music, its great. The compositions are phenomenal, the production is much better than what you would expect for a new band. The songs are always changing so you never get bored. The lyrical content is amazing (read the books, the album gets 75x better) and those baritone choirs are sexy sexy sexy!

The only problem I have with this album is that the drums, bass and guitars are kinda meh. When you strip everything away, then its just vanilla BM with nothing standing out. Summoning at least can make some sick and catchy riffs. But in the end, that doesn't detract from the experience too much.

Super excited for what this band will make in the future.
08.12.2013 - 17:54
Skl3ros

Lol @ people saying that this is a ripoff. get a brain seriously. if one would say that about every band that doesn't have it's own completely original sound then probably 80% if not more of every existing music could be considered a ripoff. its not the general sound that matters but the music itself and it's absolutely great here. btw there are more influences them summoning only but yeah some people just like to complain as soon as they see a possibility I guess.
08.12.2013 - 19:35
Vombatus
Potorro
Been listening to this lately and really like it. Among all the "epic black metal"-kinda bands, this is the best one after Summoning, but also the one closest sound-wise to the Austrians. Like, even the band say they are "heavily inspired by Summoning" (which is a nice way of saying "we copy Summoning" )

Interesting thet follow exactly Summoning formula: same vocal style (raspy nasal shriek), same drum programming and tone, same kind of song progression, and the synths... the synths, well, listening the song Echoes Of Battle needs no more explanation.
Granted the have some additional elements like the clean vocals or more elaborate guitar parts, otherwise it would have been flagrant.

Does it mean it's bad ? Not in my opinion. But obviously, as a Summoning fanboy I'm inclined to like this.
08.12.2013 - 19:41
Lit.
Account deleted
Why worship something that was never that good to begin with?
09.12.2013 - 03:27
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Skl3ros on 08.12.2013 at 17:54

Lol @ people saying that this is a ripoff. get a brain seriously. if one would say that about every band that doesn't have it's own completely original sound then probably 80% if not more of every existing music could be considered a ripoff. its not the general sound that matters but the music itself and it's absolutely great here. btw there are more influences them summoning only but yeah some people just like to complain as soon as they see a possibility I guess.

If you don't understand how this is a complete Summoning worship album then you're deaf. I'd also like you to elaborate how the "general sound" and the "music" are different from each other, because I don't believe that they are. I'm not claiming that all music is original, but this sure as fuck isn't.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.12.2013 - 06:00
psykometal
A staff guy...
@Skl3ros and Tanner

CB themselves admit they are highly influenced by Summoning. Their Facebook cover even used to say "Epic Black metal highly influenced by Summoning."
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

09.12.2013 - 16:24
Skl3ros

Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.12.2013 at 03:27

Written by Skl3ros on 08.12.2013 at 17:54

If you don't understand how this is a complete Summoning worship album then you're deaf. I'd also like you to elaborate how the "general sound" and the "music" are different from each other, because I don't believe that they are. I'm not claiming that all music is original, but this sure as fuck isn't.

general sound: simply how it sounds. the soundquality, which instruments/vocals are used, how it SOUNDS simply. with music itself I mean HOW the instruments are used, how the melodies are.
kinda hard to explain but there is a big difference to me. you can have two bands that sound very similar and yet the quality of the music can be completely different.

yes it's a summoning worship. yes. so are thousands of other albums (not of summoning only but generally). the only reason why it's more evident here is that summoning have actually been one of these very few bands with a special sound that hasn't been copied yet. and now that is has been done it's suddenly a complete ripoff. as I already said in that case almost everything you know can be considered a ripoff since there will almost always be a band that has the same sound then your favourite band but had it before them.

btw it should be completely irrelevant if it's a ripoff or not, one can state it, yes, but to say that the album is bad or not enjoyable only therefor is stupid imo.
"oh I love this cake."
"nah, it uses a similar recipe then one that has already existed before."
"oh well then it's bad."
yeeeaaaaaahh........
09.12.2013 - 17:02
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Skl3ros on 09.12.2013 at 16:24

general sound: simply how it sounds. the soundquality, which instruments/vocals are used, how it SOUNDS simply. with music itself I mean HOW the instruments are used, how the melodies are.
kinda hard to explain but there is a big difference to me. you can have two bands that sound very similar and yet the quality of the music can be completely different.

yes it's a summoning worship. yes. so are thousands of other albums. the only reason why it's more evident here is that summoning have actually been one of these very few bands with a special sound that hasn't been copied yet. and now that is has been done it's suddenly a complete ripoff. as I already said in that case almost everything you know can be considered a ripoff since there will almost always be a band that has the same sound then your favourite band but had it before them.

btw it should be completely irrelevant if it's a ripoff or not, one can state it, yes, but to say that the album is bad or not enjoyable only therefor is stupid imo.
"oh I love this cake."
"nah, it uses a similar recipe then one that has already existed before."
"oh well then it's bad."
yeeeaaaaaahh........

Well, Willy dislikes Summoning to start with, so it's normal he finds this boring. He didn't mention the album being bad simply coz it's a ripoff though....
And honestly, if you just listen the SOUND as you call it, it's fairly obvious to see a Summoning copy. As i said above, the drums, guitars, keyboards and vocals have exactly the same tone. Even they way they are employed in the song writing is similar. Some of the songs could even fit on Stronghold or something...

And unlike other epic black metal bands, CB has been stigmatized as Summoning copy since the beginning. There must be a reason, as others like L Ordre Du Temple or Elffor didn't follow the same trend.It's still some very fine music for fans of the genre so I don't get the reason of your butthurtness....
21.12.2013 - 02:14
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
I fucking love that album!
28.12.2013 - 11:47
Saiyanity

99% sure clean vocals are provided by Jake Rogers of Gallowbraid. Caladan Brood's Facebook says they're based out of Salt Lake City, Utah which just happens to be where Gallowbraid is based out of, given that and the similarity in sound we can pretty much confirm Jake Rogers is one member of the duo. Still curious if the other member is from any well known projects/bands.
30.12.2013 - 21:50
Rating: 8
Himedal

Very good but not better than Summoning.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
31.12.2013 - 13:48
sergiod0999

Echoes of Battle !
10.01.2014 - 14:52
Rating: 6
Lord Dimitriy

I could be mistaken.. But for me it sounds like far-Summoning.. Like everything could be heard before.. Without any innovations..
21.01.2014 - 01:16
The Melting Snow

I actually like this more than Summoning.
22.01.2014 - 23:15
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Yeah i have to say, i prefer this album over anything Summoning wrote. The MAIN reason, is because every song was amazing. On most Summoning albums there is filler even though the good songs are of the same calibre as CB.
28.01.2014 - 06:46
Rating: 6
Arcesse Eum

This is a less organically structured Summoning. It's good. It's not as good as Summoning. It doesn't slowly build up layers over time like Summoning does, but its not bad for what it is. I could have done without the shitty drum machine and the guitar solos. (It sounds like they used Quantum Leap's VST Goliath for their orchestra or something similar; if that's the case, they could have done more with it.)
----
As above, so below.
04.02.2014 - 17:20
The Melting Snow

Written by Arcesse Eum on 28.01.2014 at 06:46

I could have done without the shitty drum machine and the guitar solos.

I think the guitar solos add a new dimension to the songs. usually not found in songs of similar structure.
09.02.2014 - 20:10
PocketMetal

^ agreed , the guitar solos are welcome here.
28.02.2014 - 18:46
erat

A tasty debut.. No need to compare with Summoning..
----
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!
23.03.2014 - 10:57
guill62

Written by erat on 28.02.2014 at 18:46

A tasty debut.. No need to compare with Summoning..

Agreed. Summoning is Summoning and CB is CB, although the style is quite similar.
22.07.2014 - 10:51
Rating: 8
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
The clean vocals reminds me of the singer from To/Die/For at times.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
23.07.2014 - 14:08
katacrack

9 sublime for me the best of 2013

Hits total: 32283 | This month: 107