02. O Efeito Do Verão
03. Learpholl
04. Anathema Maranatha
05. Believe
06. Ultreia
07. Goodbye Johnny Dear
08. Fé, Esperanza, Amor
09. Beyond The Morning

Let's talk a bit about something which is not so Metal today. Well, not really Metal but a bit probably since that the main compositor is Mr Duncan Patterson, famous for his participations in Antimatter and of course, Anathema. A bit Metal also because ION is extremely dark not so far away of Doom and Folk Metal music, but well yes "Madre Protegenos" must be classified into the Ethereal / World Music scene. Is it a problem? No, definitely as always our Irish compositor is as his top and I'm sure that all the ones who like this kind of music will find a real interest in this "Madre Protegenos".

Some of you probably know that the talented Ducan Patterson is a really good writer, after all, he wrote songs like "Empty", "Lose Control", the lyrics of "Angelica" or all the "Eternity"? I think that those few examples are just a big proof of his talent and remember too that Duncan wrote songs for Antimatter too? But today, we will talk about his new project, ION, something which is different of his previous work (without being totally opposite however) but nonetheless really interesting.

"Madre Protegenos" (Mother Protect Us) can maybe be classified into the "world music" category but actually we're not so far away of depressive music and then Doom. All the songs of this release are extremely dark and the intimate ambiance that Duncan put into his songs is really disturbing. The folk aspect, in reason of acoustic guitar and percussions, on each songs is really beautiful and at the end you'll have the feeling that you'll listen to some kind of old ballads. Plus it's also a matter of ambiances, the songs are slow and sad right, but you'll be able to find sounds of winds and waves too which give a really poetic aspect to the music of this album? In addition of the exceptional performance of the female vocalists (with an appearance of Marcela Bovio) this music, these ambiance are just beautiful, and if you don't believe me, just try to listen to a song like "Learpholl" or "Beyond The Morning" and you'll understand what I mean.

"Madre Protegenos" is a beautiful album, something touching and full of poesy. It's not a real problem if you like Metal or not, you just have to be a bit open-minded and to like great and classy melancholic melodies. I don't know if ION will release a lot of others albums in the future, but I hope so. "Madre Protegenos" is a nice way to begin a really beautiful story and one more time this is the proof that Duncan Patterson is an exceptional compositor.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 07.12.2006

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 42 users
07.12.2006 - 14:03
inc

sweet:cool:
07.12.2006 - 14:07
Jeff
Freaky Admin
If you wanna taste it !

Well, try this song and if you like it, well... you know what you'll have to do

http://www.equilibriummusic.com/samples/Íon_(Madre)_-_Learpholl.mp3
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
07.12.2006 - 20:16
GT
Coffee!!
Nice review...and the song you linked to is quite nice. Very Irish folk song-ish
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
07.12.2006 - 21:07
Rating: 6
Promonex
Cathemeral
I already fell in love with this album when I read the review. And seeing that Marcela Bovio appears on the album as well it can't be anything else but awesome! I'm yet to listen to the song though, stuff is loading damn slow here right now.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
09.12.2006 - 14:23
Anathemani@c

I can't wait to listen to it! I am going straight to listen to the sample song! Right now! I'll be right back!:thumbup:
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
27.07.2010 - 23:59
Rating: 10
ravendeath

Very good music...

Hits total: 9643 | This month: 9