Band: Wormlust
Album: The Feral Wisdom
Style: Ambient black metal
Release date: April 2013

01. Sex Augu, Tólf Stjörnur
02. Djöflasýra
03. Á Altari Meistarans
04. Iður Úti

It seems as though the Northern Europeans have developed a strange taste for popping a few acid tabs before getting their kvlt and corpse paint on as of late. The UK's A Forest Of Stars, the likes of Finns Oranssi Pazuzu, Candy Cane, and Verge? and now we have a one man contribution to this growing (although still minor) psychedelic trend within black metal: Iceland's Wormlust, the creative vision of one H.V. Lyngdal (keep your panties on boys and girls, that's H.V. Lyngdal, not H.P. Lovecraft).

At first glance, H.V.'s 2013 debut, The Feral Wisdom appears to be a bit brief, as there are only 4 tracks to it. But if you know your black metal, you know that a low track number on an album generally = long tracks with either a lot of experimentation or a lot of composition techniques to take in, which is exactly the case here. The best band to compare Wormlust would probably be Oranssi Pazuzu, as the two are quite alike in overall formula: the harshness typical of black metal interspersed with a deeply hypnotic guitar tone and other ambient elements so darkly hallucinogenic and haunting that they could've only come from somewhere beyond the Milky Way Galaxy.

The difference between the two, however, is that H.V. is a lot less aggressive with the overall formula of Wormlust's delivery. Despite the br00t4l black metal sound that we all know and love being there, H.V. seems to be a lot more focused on navigating black holes and elliptical galaxies than getting his trve kvlt on. Think of it like this: it's a lot more of a psychedelic metal album with a bit of extreme metal techniques thrown in than a rough-cut black metal album with a few spacey ambient sounds here and there. The two harshest tracks on the album, the opener "Sex augu, tólf stjörnur" and the closer "Iður úti," still are somewhat overshadowed by the psychedelic elements in the background, and there are many brief moments in the two where H.V. stops his shrieking and guitar blazing for a second to add in little ambient sprinkles. The other two tracks, "Djöflasýra" and "Á altari meistarans," meanwhile, really get into H.V.'s creative vision, and are, in essence, what The Feral Wisdom is truly all about: in H.V.'s words, "projecting astral body horrors to the cosmos from Iceland."

Although being dominated mostly by its spacey side, The Feral Wisdom still has enough black metal elements within it to please the more orthodox listener, so people both looking for something harsh and something more experimental will likely be pleased with it. The first contribution to this small, mescaline-infused black metal style from a one man band is an excellent one indeed. And aren't you kiddies thankful that you get to stream it for free now before it comes out officially in April? I know I am. Being quite the fan of psychedelic music myself, I really see this trend within black metal going further if a few more bands emerge to push its limits, and if that does happen, psychedelic black metal could very well end up becoming a regional scene in Europe (likely within Finland), as have all the French avante-garde bands. Only time will tell, I suppose. But if anything, for the record I called this prediction first

Listen at Bandcamp

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written on 10.02.2013 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 235 users
10.02.2013 - 21:41
Rating: 8
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I don't really hear the similarities to Oranssi Pazuzu, but a good review regardless
10.02.2013 - 21:44
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Alex F on 10.02.2013 at 21:41

I don't really hear the similarities to Oranssi Pazuzu, but a good review regardless

I dunno, reminded me a bit of Muukalainen Puhuu during the more atmospheric moments. Maybe it's just me.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
11.02.2013 - 00:58
Dorian Black

This is not chaotic, this is a mess. 4/10
11.02.2013 - 04:53
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Chtulu's lookin kinda fucked up on that cover haha
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
11.02.2013 - 05:09
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by LeChron James on 11.02.2013 at 04:53

Chtulu's lookin kinda fucked up on that cover haha

Reminded me a lot of the cover for The Desanctification, actually. Strangely similar: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eOV6sZpeA6k/T5lZ03C3SZI/AAAAAAAADUM/LdzD2Gi3niM/s1600/cover.jpg
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
11.02.2013 - 05:12
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Auntie Sahar on 11.02.2013 at 05:09

Reminded me a lot of the cover for The Desanctification, actually. Strangely similar: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eOV6sZpeA6k/T5lZ03C3SZI/AAAAAAAADUM/LdzD2Gi3niM/s1600/cover.jpg

Yeah, similar color schemes and whatnot. In other news, your link embedding is bad and you should feel bad haha.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
11.02.2013 - 06:11
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Alright I've got to check this out pronto. If it's anything like Oranssi Pazuzu I'm sold!
11.02.2013 - 12:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
In response to Dorian Black, I'm pretty sure this is how the majority of people that have heard this record feel about him and his comment.

I've already pretty much exhausted everything postitive I can say about this album. Just a very well put together and great sounding start to this year.
11.02.2013 - 13:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Agree with everything except the fact that I hear absolutely nothing of Oranssi Pazuzu in this album. Sure, both have Black and psichedelia... But that's it. Still a completely different atmosphere and comparing both bands can be very misleading.

Oranssi Pazuzu is almost a fun ride full of cosmic marijuana and groove while this is far closer to the intense insanity in music such as Cloak Of Altering (which is by far the closest comparison we can get from recent black metal atm). Also... I honestly think the production is perfect in this album, it's the way it should be for such music.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.02.2013 - 15:26
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.02.2013 at 13:17

Oranssi Pazuzu is almost a fun ride full of cosmic marijuana and groove while this is far closer to the intense insanity in music such as Cloak Of Altering (which is by far the closest comparison we can get from recent black metal atm). Also... I honestly think the production is perfect in this album, it's the way it should be for such music.

In retrospect, perhaps I should've said that Wormlust are actually a bit more intense than Oranssi. Oh well, the deed is done I suppose
The 7 I gave for production I'll admit is something of a personal thing. I'm a bit of a fanboy for Oranssi, and the production on Kosmonument was nice, fat, and round: everything being nicely and equally audible, especially the bass and keys. On The Feral Wisdom, things are a bit more drowned out, and I think that as far as this whole psychedelic black metal movement is concerned, a wide production that brings everything out (A Forest Of Stars, Oranssi Pazuzu) is best.
By the way, the Cloak Of Altering review is coming next on my list. Might be a few days though, I wanna digest it in its fullest extent and it's not exactly the easiest album to do so with
----

~ II. VII
11.02.2013 - 15:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 11.02.2013 at 15:26
the production on Kosmonument was nice, fat, and round: everything being nicely and equally audible, especially the bass and keys. On The Feral Wisdom, things are a bit more drowned out

...The difference might be because they are way too different in style, atmosphere and goals?
I'd seriously question the quality of this album if they did it again with a similar production to Oranssi Pazuzu. Wouldn't mix well at all.
Also, the bass is extremely audible in this album.
Go listen to the latest Cloak Of Altering (and specially the previous one while you are at it) and tell me if that album isn't a more precise comparison than anything else, specially when it comes to production.

Regarding this "psychedelic black metal movement ". I'm not seeing a solid one tbh... A Forest Of Stars, Oranssi Pazuzu and Wormlust in the same place? Like I said, having black and psichedelia isn't enough to draw a common line. I still hear 3 completely different styles of music that just happen to share same/similar ingredients.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.02.2013 - 15:52
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.02.2013 at 15:40

Regarding this "psychedelic black metal movement ". I'm not seeing a solid one tbh... A Forest Of Stars, Oranssi Pazuzu and Wormlust in the same place? Like I said, having black and psichedelia isn't enough to draw a common line. I still hear 3 completely different styles of music that just happen to share same/similar ingredients.

As I said, if anything I see it happening in Finland, especially being as it is that the acts are already closely associated with one another (Oranssi and Candy cane put out that split together, remember)? Anywho, you probably have already, but if not, I highly recommend Candy Cane and Verge. If a few more Finns get on it, yeah, I could def see it becoming a regional thing. And just because bands adhere to the same general formula doesn't mean they can't all have a bit of variety to their styles. The French bands, for example, all fall under the umbrella of "avante-garde black metal"... and yet Deathspell Omega, DIapsiquir, and Peste Noire are three completely different bands when it comes to the formula of their sound delivery.
----

~ II. VII
11.02.2013 - 15:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 11.02.2013 at 15:52
The French bands, for example, all fall under the umbrella of "avante-garde black metal"... and yet Deathspell Omega, DIapsiquir, and Peste Noire are three completely different bands when it comes to the formula of their sound delivery.

Because avantgarde is a far broader term... In any case, you would never see me talking about Deathspell Omega, DIapsiquir, and Peste Noire in the same sentence (besides this one and another about french bands I enjoy) because that would be also very random.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2016 - 23:04
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I think I am going to hell for listening to this - holy balls...evil. JOOE made me.
----
rekt
01.03.2016 - 23:24
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.03.2016 at 23:04

I think I am going to hell for listening to this - holy balls...evil. JOOE made me.

Hehe, don't say it like it's a bad thing!
Yeah, this album is definitely special, easily the most unique among the Icelandic BM bands right now, probably. I desperately need some new material out of this guy
----

~ II. VII
01.03.2016 - 23:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.03.2016 at 23:04

If you don't hate it and want to be pushed toward more bassy bm you could check out Cloak Of Altering (if you haven't yet). While some disagree, I think they're not unlike Wormlust. I would recommend 'Ancient Paths Through Timeless Voids'. Spacey stuff! Bit more of a challenge though.

Hits total: 8372 | This month: 7