03. Warcry
04. Outworld
05. City Of The Dead
06. The Never
07. Prelude To Madness
08. The Grey Tide
09. I Thanatos
10. Polar [Japanese bonus]

Listen to me guys and gals, we're just in front of the best album of Progressive Metal of the year 2006! Nothing less! For their first album, Outworld and his main compositor Rusty Cooley found the way to release one of the most impressive albums that I had to listen to this year. With the help of the "crazy" Kelly Sundown Carpenter, "Outworld" is a great album of blasting Progressive Metal, don't miss it or you will regret it!

Manifestly, Outworld plays Progressive Metal, but don't expect anything boring and so complex that it's even impossible to understand if you're listening to the beginning or the end of the song. "Outworld" is a real "in your face" album, this kind of release full of amazing songs that you'll not be able to forget after only one listening. It doesn't mean that the songs of this album are simple, of course you'll be able to find a lot of breaks with keyboards or extremely technical guitars (and keyboards) soli (after all, the guitarist is the genius Rusty Cooley). The melodies are perfect, extremely catchy really, the songs are complex but never boring, there is a perfect alchemy of all the musicians and damn what a voice?.

In addition of the impressive performance of Rusty Cooley and the others musicians, I have to add that Kelly Sundown Carpenter (now replaced by Carlos Zema) is simply amazing. This guy is able to sing with an incredible voice, from a really cool beautiful classic one to some crazy high-pitched vocals a la Judas Priest or King Diamond. And well, it fits perfectly to the frenetic tempos of the album because it's Progressive Metal yes, but we're more into Progressive Power/Thrash stuff a la Nevermore than anything else. Some songs like "Raise Hell" or "Warcry" are jewels and I'm quite sure that you'll quickly become addicted to the album. "Outworld" is an original album which doesn't lack of energy and heaviness if you like Prog, Power or even Thrash, you'll be able to find something for you in this release. And if I add that the production, sound, cover (Mattias Noren) etc is really good, it's simply impossible to find bad points on this release (except maybe for some of you who will not like the special voice of Kelly Sundown Carpenter).

What a great album. The more I listen to it, the more I love it! Rusty Cooley is a bit like a wizard who is able to change everything into diamond. His compositions here, even if it's only his first album with the band, are exceptionally deep and intelligent. The album is a real killer and a must for all the ones who like Prog, from Dream Theater and Symphony X to Nevermore.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 08.12.2006

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 130 users
08.12.2006 - 17:34
Lupas
Maximus
@Jeff
Man you are just a superman.
Only a few days ago you had a copy of this amazing band and now a review on them .

They are just great and i also agree with you , the best prog. metal in 2006
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
09.12.2006 - 04:39
Rating: 9
HardSide

duh its rusty cooley, it can only be good. ive had all his solo albums for a while now. excellent stuff, his guitar is just amazing.
09.12.2006 - 19:10
Herzebeth

Sounds interesting, I'll try this album for sure. I also feel stupid for not knowing who Rusty Cooley is as people here seem to like this musician a lot, who is he?
----
09.12.2006 - 19:13
Jeff
Freaky Admin
He is a KILLER young guitarist... this kind of dude who can kick the ass of people like Petrucci without any problem
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
09.12.2006 - 22:49
jadawal

Best prog of 2006? I gotta check this out!!! And I also had/have no idea who Rusty Cooley is either herzebeth, but damn I gotta check this out soon.
10.12.2006 - 13:52
Rating: 8
Promonex
Cathemeral
Never heard of Rusty Cooley either, but Nevermore-ish stuff with Kelly Sundown Carpenter on vocals can't be wrong. Guess I'll have to check this out as well.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
10.12.2006 - 16:59
HardSide

Just to let people know...you know how you always hear how alexi laiho is like the fastest guitarist ever? (well this is what i see in guitar magazines)...rusty can probably play all of laiho songs with one hand while he jerks off with the other. Thats how good this guy is...
18.12.2006 - 20:05
Talvi

This album is so kickass... one of the best progressive releases I've heard.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
26.12.2006 - 13:00
Rating: 10
Hellish Star

The best album of 2006..... It proves how much talent there is in the USA...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
29.12.2008 - 02:09
Hugoj33

Bass player is awesome
16.01.2009 - 18:22
hsdourado
Account deleted
I don't know this work.. I'm fan of Kelly Sundown Carpenter and I would like know this band

Hits total: 9230 | This month: 8