02. Prayer In The Dark
03. We Came To Take Your Souls
04. Saturday Satan
05. In Blood We Trust
06. Mother Mary Is A Bird Of Prey
07. Mister Sinister
08. Kiss Of The Cobra King
09. Lupus Dei

This album is the irrefutable proof that there's something damn sick ruling in my head. I mean, being born Catholic and growing up as a pretty rational person, I should disdain, condemn for immorality, and laugh at Powerwolf. I should be dazed that anyone is dumb enough to listen to Bible Of The Beast, and at the same time humiliated to belong to the same race of these drunkard assholes. But I don't.

While listening to this album, I started wondering about the reasons why I was actually listening - and enjoying - Bible Of The Beast. I started barring the unlikely options.

Because of the music? No, absolutely no. The band plays a pretty rough and solid power metal, but no member shows an above average ability. The main riff is often overwhelmed by pounding drums or by cathedral-style organs, and I would say this is not a big loss. Looking for inspired, intricate guitarwork a la Zakk Wylde? Stay far from Powerwolf.

The songwriting, maybe? No, no. The song structure is always pretty much the same, with an initial chorus, mid-tempo strophes which lead to fast-paced choruses. This leads to the fact that, while one or two consecutive songs can still be enjoyable, it's damn hard to come to the end of the album without halts, due to the similarity of one track with another.

Then, the lyrics? Hehe, NO. This album has the most idiotic and meaningless lyrics I've ever heard. Mostly concerning religion, werewolves and sex; lyrics are graceful and poetic just as a junkie Psyduck.

Then I understood the reason why my final rating wasn't nowhere near to the average of the 4 following sub-ratings. Those, in fact, don't comprise the greatest power of this band: fun. A happy-go-lucky, grotesque, unexpected fun. And, in these days, obscure, full of earnest faces, it's great to see someone having fun in being - consciously - idiotic, in not taking care of anyone's opinion. In fact, at every listen, Bible Of The Beast makes me smile a little. But not with a laugh of superiority. A simple, sincere smile. And this is damn important.

After this introspective digression, I would like to conclude with the most touching verse of the whole album, that shows every inch of the talent Powerwolf has:

"Raise your phallus to the sky, and you're never gonna die, hallelujah!"

Dear William Wordsworth, please learn from this.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by R Lewis | 14.02.2013

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 72 users
15.02.2013 - 21:48
Metalxer

100% agreed to the whole review.
----
I like the smell of freshly toasted transistors early in the morning.
05.04.2016 - 18:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This album is to piss Chatolics off, since you're Italian you can be offended , sme as Bulgarian/Syrian dude were when cartoon came out . Lyrics are funy and well written, a bit poetical, not just stupid ... I say awesome stories ,mini series .. crypts from the tail?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.07.2023 - 02:47
Rating: 8
tintinb

The songs are very very catchy. I have caught myself humming the chorus on more than one occasion. That makes me like this band a lot.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 5523 | This month: 22