05. Black Smoke
06. Stretched Thin
07. Astral Sleep

Additional info
Label: Relapse Records

Guest review by
flightoficarus
Rating:
People sometimes misunderstand the word "melody" to mean upbeat or accessible, and "subtle" to always mean delicate or refined. Quite to the contrary, a melody is simply "a sequence of single notes that is musically satisfying." A melody can be happy, sad, or angry; intricate or simple. Likewise, subtle can also mean "a small detail that is usually important but not obvious," or even more fitting in relation to blackened sludge, "operating in a hidden, usually injurious way; insidious." Unfortunately for Primitive Man, I don't find Scorn to have a strong enough handle on either of these details that make the genre particularly interesting to me.

Read more ››
published 23.04.2015 | Comments (12)

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
I can clearly remember the day that I first crossed paths with Primitive Man's Scorn. It was one of the usual "coffee + Metal Storm" mornings, where I ritually checked silly Shoutbox conversations before proceeding to browse the new releases. Scrolling down the first page, a lovely image greeted me: an album cover depicting some guy with a skull for a head, who was graciously grabbing another guy's head by its hair and shoving a gun to his screaming face. "Wooooaaaaahhhh," I said to myself. "This oughta be some sick shit." I would soon find out, however, just what an understatement "sick shit" would end up being.

Read more ››
published 03.07.2015 | Comments (3)

Found in 8 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 35   Visited by: 198 users
19.02.2013 - 20:29
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Awesome album, glad these guys were added
19.02.2013 - 20:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
A ttoally awesome album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.02.2013 - 03:31
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Whoever added this, kudos.
----
rekt
27.02.2013 - 17:26
Paz
elite
Brutal sludge certainly not for wimps.
23.03.2013 - 00:01
Rating: 9
mz
Best band name ever . would check them out just because of that.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
25.11.2013 - 10:41
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Really crushing album and badass cover.
23.02.2014 - 22:29
Lit.
Account deleted
Why the low score? This album brings the hurt.
26.04.2014 - 18:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
May have hugely overlooked this album. Perhaps because it's not as instant as some others from a similar style but going back to it now I can see how profoundly heavy and oppressive it is. Those vocals too. They're almost Lord Worm-ish. Will definitely be catching them in a couple of months time when they play near me.
26.04.2014 - 23:28
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 26.04.2014 at 18:30

May have hugely overlooked this album. Perhaps because it's not as instant as some others from a similar style but going back to it now I can see how profoundly heavy and oppressive it is. Those vocals too. They're almost Lord Worm-ish. Will definitely be catching them in a couple of months time when they play near me.

It definitely is a colossal album. Really heavy and ruthless, but still clear enough to hear the various underlying melodies and occasional dissonance
11.12.2014 - 14:44
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Aside from Carpe Noctem's debut, this is my most revisited album of 2013. Completely massive and destructive music
01.02.2015 - 23:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Yeah, this album wrecks you pretty hard. Really great pacing as well.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.04.2015 - 16:37
Rating: 7
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
It's heavy and oppressive, but at the sacrifice of too much musically, imo. I prefer when groups take this style and infuse a little more craft and subtlety into the instrumentation. That said, this is still some decent work.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
07.04.2015 - 00:48
mz
Subtlity in primitive man? no way :p
----
07.04.2015 - 00:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by mz on 07.04.2015 at 00:48

More like:
Subtlity in Blackened sludge metal? No way. :p
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.04.2015 - 01:02
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.04.2015 at 00:57

Written by mz on 07.04.2015 at 00:48

More like:
Subtlity in Blackened sludge metal? No way. :p

More like:
Subtlety in murder? No way.

I hereby break the chain of vocabulary errors and poorly used emoticons.
07.04.2015 - 01:06
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
:p is far cuter than that happy zombie face though
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.04.2015 - 18:30
Diverge
Written by flightoficarus on 06.04.2015 at 16:37

I prefer when groups take this style and infuse a little more craft and subtlety into the instrumentation.

Please give a few examples to back up this ridiculous assertion. To my knowledge, you're not going to find an emphasis on craft and subtlety in instrumentation in blackened sludge metal. Even talking about "craft and subtlety" for this genre of music is absurd. mz was totally right in calling you out on that one, bud.

It's almost like you don't know what you're talking about.
07.04.2015 - 18:48
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Diverge on 07.04.2015 at 18:30

I prefer when groups take this style and infuse a little more craft and subtlety into the instrumentation.

Please give a few examples to back up this ridiculous assertion. To my knowledge, you're not going to find an emphasis on craft and subtlety in instrumentation in blackened sludge metal. Even talking about "craft and subtlety" for this genre of music is absurd. mz was totally right in calling you out on that one, bud.

I find both Indian and Lord Mantis to have a level of mastery over infusing melody and hooks into an otherwise noisy, ugly sound. Primitive Man just didn't grip me the same way that those groups do. As for my use of the word "subtlety," I realize that it sounds ridiculous in the context of this sound. I merely meant it in terms of "a small detail that is usually important but not obvious." That's all I have to say about the matter.
----
07.04.2015 - 19:07
Lit.
Account deleted
Melody and hooks in Indian and Lord Mantis? No way. :p
07.04.2015 - 20:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I can get behind the hooks with Lord Mantis. But that's about it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.04.2015 - 20:16
mz
Also, hook is one of the most straightforward things that can be used in music and definitely something that kills the subtlety :p
----
08.04.2015 - 02:43
Diverge
Written by flightoficarus on 07.04.2015 at 18:48

Written by Diverge on 07.04.2015 at 18:30

I find both Indian and Lord Mantis to have a level of mastery over infusing melody and hooks into an otherwise noisy, ugly sound.

This well-defended opinion is clearly coming from someone who's been listening to Indian for years, and not someone who discovered the band a few days ago (according to the Shoutbox).
09.04.2015 - 22:12
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Creep Factor: Elite
----
10.04.2015 - 05:07
Diverge
Written by flightoficarus on 09.04.2015 at 22:12

Creep Factor: Elite

That's a little exaggerated and more than a little infantile. The Shoutbox can sometimes be entertaining, and it's easy to remember people gloating about certain bands they discover.

The point is, you recently discovered Indian (a key band associated with blackened sludge) a few days ago. As a direct result of your inexperience, you have made a jarring claim that no one has really agreed with to any substantial degree. It's up to you to defend your claims. I hope you've learned by now that you shouldn't really be talking about things you don't understand.
04.03.2016 - 00:38
Wukk
The elitism here is hilarious.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
22.03.2016 - 22:33
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Guest on 26.04.2014 at 18:30

Those vocals too. They're almost Lord Worm-ish

I keep coming back to this comment and now I'm legitimately intrigued to check out this Lord Worm band you mention. I could definitely go for some more vocals similar to of McCarthy's menacing snarls. Care to share a track or two?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
22.03.2016 - 22:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 22.03.2016 at 22:33

I keep coming back to this comment and now I'm legitimately intrigued to check out this Lord Worm band you mention. I could definitely go for some more vocals similar to of McCarthy's menacing snarls. Care to share a track or two?

You might be disappointed to know that it's Cryptopsy that Lord Worm was in =P

He's quite a vocalist. More monstrous than most vocalists out there, but definitely not for everyone. Pretty much sounds like he's not saying anything in any real language. I guess you could say the same about Primitive Man's vocals though.

[inb4 Marcel complains about Lord Worm]
22.03.2016 - 22:42
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Guest on 22.03.2016 at 22:37

You might be disappointed to know that it's Cryptopsy that Lord Worm was in =P

He's quite a vocalist. More monstrous than most vocalists out there, but definitely not for everyone. Pretty much sounds like he's not saying anything in any real language. I guess you could say the same about Primitive Man's vocals though.

Oh, it's a person haha, I thought it was a literal band. Shows how much I suck at being a tr00 death metaller
Sounds interesting though, will scope. And indecipherable vocals aren't all that bad once ya get a lyrics sheet in front of ya (if available)
----

~ II. VII
22.03.2016 - 22:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 22.03.2016 at 22:42

Oh, it's a person haha, I thought it was a literal band. Shows how much I suck at being a tr00 death metaller
Sounds interesting though, will scope. And indecipherable vocals aren't all that bad once ya get a lyrics sheet in front of ya (if available)

Seems the lyrics are available, so you could play match the word to the grunt.

Lord Worm would be a good touring partner with Lord Mantis. Although they would probably eat Lord Worm.
13.11.2016 - 14:37
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.03.2016 at 22:47

Seems the lyrics are available, so you could play match the word to the grunt.

Lord Worm would be a good touring partner with Lord Mantis. Although they would probably eat Lord Worm.

I tried playing match the word with the grunt and I lost miserably.

Hits total: 6534 | This month: 18